FBI investigation leads to indictments of FIFA Officials on corruption charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogbadthebad

In either case, the more information that's released in the coming weeks, the quicker he will be chased out of FIFA. The important point is that he will be gone soon and FIFA can slowly regenerate and reinvent itself, and look at revoting the upcoming WCs.
Oh absolutely. The more that comes out, and the more of the current lot are implicated, the more likely it is that FIFA will get what it actually needs, and that is someone from completely outside the current footballing administration to sort it all out.

I just think that anyone hoping to see blatter heading off to prison will be disappointed. Warner will die in a US federal prison though, I'm sure, he's in his 70's, and with whats come out, even after some plea bargaining, he will still see a 20 year plus sentence I think.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What evidence? Do you really think Blatter kept secret documents of his bribes? And even if he did don't you think would have already destroyed them given all that has happened? Sorry, no. I don't think the Swiss authorities are running a con game on Blatter.
Its not secret documents that are coming out, all the wrong doings were hidden in plain sight and officially recorded so that if they were picked up on their own nobody would think anything untoward was going on.

Its only now they are being looked at overall that people are able to piece together whats been going on.

Either way, regardless of whether he actually gets done for anything he knows we all know he is bent, he knows the game is up, his reputation is in tatters.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
How is having negative views on Qatar's modern slavery being anti Islamic?

Muhammad freed thousands of slaves. The first man to announce the call of prayer in Muhammad's times was a freed slave named Bilal.

The documented cases of foreign workers and their treatment in the Middle East have never been Islamic, as are the behaviours of some of the elite oil rich Arabs.
Great post, very much wish I'd had you there yesterday!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
@Mr Pigeon
Yeah I was reading some of the reviews in the American media. It sounds like it is every bit as shameless and self-congratulatory as you would expect from FIFA.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
@Mr Pigeon
Yeah I was reading some of the reviews in the American media. It sounds like it is every bit as shameless and self-congratulatory as you would expect from FIFA.
I still can believe that they released it. I thought it was just made as an internal puff piece for FIFA, which is bad enough, but are they so deluded that they thought anyone outside of their organisation would actually want to see that shit? It's like the North Korean government releasing their version of Lethal Weapon, starring Kim Jong-un as both Murtaugh and Riggs fending off a gang of evil capitalists - with special guest Joe Pesci (played by Kim Jong-un).

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
More details about Germany´s 2006 winning bid

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Kaiser when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Kyonn

In either case, the more information that's released in the coming weeks, the quicker he will be chased out of FIFA. The important point is that he will be gone soon and FIFA can slowly regenerate and reinvent itself, and look at revoting the upcoming WCs.
As already pointed out the Swiss have very liberal, for lack of a better term, laws when it comes to bribery and don't get me started on the nearly laughable idea that the Swiss might prosecute him for tax evasion. The reality is the Blatter is the current FIFA president, he will be for the rest of this year and probably even have a large hand in naming his successor.

littlepeasoup

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
SFA Chief Executive Stewart Regan said:
"Scotland do things professionally and we do things the right way. You probably read last weekend the whole John McBeth (former SFA president) debate from back in 2007.

"We were asked to make a payment of £75,000 into Jack Warner's account for his personal use following the Scotland v Trinidad and Tobago match and he was sent packing with a flea in his ear and warned that the police would be involved if he didn't move on."
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...n-delaney-ahead-of-ireland-showdown.128524442

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So FIFA turned over IT related evidence to the Swiss authorities today. 15 days after the announcement of the investigation. I'm sure it will be as useful as Russia's computers were to the Garcia report. Seems the Swiss are really intent on getting to the bottom of this. :rolleyes:

Americano

Make America Great Again!
As already pointed out the Swiss have very liberal, for lack of a better term, laws when it comes to bribery and don't get me started on the nearly laughable idea that the Swiss might prosecute him for tax evasion. The reality is the Blatter is the current FIFA president, he will be for the rest of this year and probably even have a large hand in naming his successor.
You have given feck all evidence or reasons to support your repetitive claims. Do you know something that the FBI doesn't?

Kyonn

You have given feck all evidence or reasons to support your repetitive claims. Do you know something that the FBI doesn't?
Do you? It's you that keeps claiming to know a lot more than you do. When has the FBI said anything about Blatter? This has nothing to do with the FBI anyway and everything to do with the Swiss government who have already said Blatter isn't under investigation and Swiss law will not let them extradite him no matter what the FBI say or does.

Americano

Do you? It's you that keeps claiming to know a lot more than you do. When has the FBI said anything about Blatter? This has nothing to do with the FBI anyway and everything to do with the Swiss government who have already said Blatter isn't under investigation and Swiss law will not let them extradite him no matter what the FBI say or does.
So you've got nothing except for a gut feeling that Sepp Blatter is going to be totally fine. That's what I thought.

Kyonn

So you've got nothing except for a gut feeling that Sepp Blatter is going to be totally fine. That's what I thought.
Gut feeling? How is Swiss extradition law a gut feeling? And also as already pointed out by another poster the Swiss have very lax bribery laws, though in fairness they did strengthen them a few years back, but they are still very lax by American standards. That is a fact not a gut feeling. I'm citing actual Swiss law, what are you basing your claims on?

Americano

Gut feeling? How is Swiss extradition law a gut feeling? And also as already pointed out by another poster the Swiss have very lax bribery laws, though in fairness they did strengthen them a few years back, but they are still very lax by American standards. That is a fact not a gut feeling. I'm citing actual Swiss law, what are you basing your claims on?
Maybe if you say the same thing ten more times it will come true?

Americano

He's actually right though.
Based on what?

The FBI has indicted or already convicted FIFA officials who will give (have given, are giving) evidence and testimony with the goal of bringing down Blatter. That is how this kind of investigation works - they start with guys like Blazer and Warner who roll over on their bosses on up the chain until they take down big Swiss Sepp. Blazer has been singing for years now and the next phase begins with the takedown of the vice presidents.

Canuckred64

Based on what?

The FBI has indicted or already convicted FIFA officials who will give (have given, are giving) evidence and testimony with the goal of bringing down Blatter. That is how this kind of investigation works - they start with guys like Blazer and Warner who roll over on their bosses on up the chain until they take down big Swiss Sepp. Blazer has been singing for years now and the next phase begins with the takedown of the vice presidents.
The problem the FBI face is even if Blatter is charged over this and he refuses to leave Switzerland, the only way he will ever go on trial is if the USA can convince the Swiss to try him. The Swiss can't extradite him, because it would violate their constitution.

Now it is a possibility that the Swiss could cave in to public pressure, but I would be surprised if they do. That doesn't seem to be in their nature. The sad reality is that if Blatter is charged he will never leave Switzerland and he will die there of old age living in luxury.

diarm

At this stage, more time and money is going to be wasted by trying to hunt down and pin down everyone accountable, than by just taking football off them and setting up something new.

Let Blatter stay in Switzerland and let him keep Fifa. They can govern a 5 a side league in Lausanne and take all the bribes they want.

Meanwhile the rest if the world can find a decent way to manage football. One where money is spent on the game instead of in ridiculous bidding campaigns.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Just staying in Switzerland doesn't protect him as much as people think; the U.S. have another option under Swiss law, which is to ask the Swiss to conduct the criminal proceedings on their behalf, utilising the evidence etc gathered by the FBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.