FBI investigation leads to indictments of FIFA Officials on corruption charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

As already pointed out the Swiss have very liberal, for lack of a better term, laws when it comes to bribery and don't get me started on the nearly laughable idea that the Swiss might prosecute him for tax evasion. The reality is the Blatter is the current FIFA president, he will be for the rest of this year and probably even have a large hand in naming his successor.
I thought Sepp stepped down?

Even if by some technicality he remains the chance of him appointing a successor is minimal...who wants to be associated with him?
His name is poison now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think we're getting a bit too caught up on Blatter. He may or may not be prosecuted for any number of things over the years. The broader point here is the FBI and DOJ have completely shaken FIFA up and with more arrests/indictments/singing birds on the horizon, its almost certain Blatter will be completely chased out very soon, and the two WCs rebid. Since the arrests a couple of weeks ago were only the tip of the iceberg, none of FIFA's hierarchy have any legitimacy to continue in their current jobs.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I think it's interesting that only one of the arrested in Switzerland is appealing the extradition warrant. Originally, it was 6 of the 7 who were contesting the extradition.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The problem the FBI face is even if Blatter is charged over this and he refuses to leave Switzerland, the only way he will ever go on trial is if the USA can convince the Swiss to try him. The Swiss can't extradite him, because it would violate their constitution.

Now it is a possibility that the Swiss could cave in to public pressure, but I would be surprised if they do. That doesn't seem to be in their nature. The sad reality is that if Blatter is charged he will never leave Switzerland and he will die there of old age living in luxury.

Their own extradition laws here:
chrome-/https://www.bj.admin.ch/dam/data/bj...e/strafsachen/auslieferung/auslieferung-e.pdf

Say they WILL extradite Swiss citizens, but reserve the right not to do so.

Reserving the right not to do so is just the same as "reserving the right to not serve a customer" or "reserving the right to refuse service", unless the case is particularly flimsy, or they think he wont get a fair trial, he most likely WILL be extradited if the case is strong enough.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
chrome-/https://www.bj.admin.ch/dam/data/bj...e/strafsachen/auslieferung/auslieferung-e.pdf

Reserving the right not to do so is just the same as "reserving the right to not serve a customer" or "reserving the right to refuse service", unless the case is particularly flimsy, or they think he wont get a fair trial, he most likely WILL be extradited if the case is strong enough.
Nah he will probably just move into the Ritz Carlton in Moscow and Putin will make sure he is even better protected than Edward Snowdon... That will save the Swizz the bother of having to say yes or no.

Someone

Something
I honestly don't care if they all face justice or not, the truth is that plenty of politicians and world leaders are much worse, what's important for football is to get them out of fifa and start reforming right away to prevent this from happening in the future.

Nogbadthebad

I honestly think its David Beckhams destiny to be president of fifa.
God god no. I like beckham, but a political leader (which is what the fifa president is in effect) is not something he ever will be. In fact, I think given how badly many countries think of us I'd rather no brit goes anywhere near the thing.

Unless its Prince Harry, he likes football, doesnt give two fecks who he upsets and has enough money of his own that even the qataris would be unable to bribe him.

The ideal solution would be someone from entirely outside football, who has a track record of running a large multinational non-profit successfully and can restructure the whole thing for transparency of operation.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Weeeell, West Germany held it in 74 & a united Germany in 2006 & Mexico got the finals in 86 due to Columbia, having been awarded the finals, then pulling out. England don't need it - give it Poland or Scandinavia or the old eastern Europe countries.
And where are you gonna get 40k+ stadiums in Scandinavia or Poland? How will they fill them afterwards?

England could get 2018 if it gets taken from Russia purely on the basis that they wouldn't have to do much work to host it. Similarly the US, Germany, Spain perhaps wouldn't have to do much.

It's not a question of needing it, nobody needs the World Cup.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
And where are you gonna get 40k+ stadiums in Scandinavia or Poland? How will they fill them afterwards?

England could get 2018 if it gets taken from Russia purely on the basis that they wouldn't have to do much work to host it. Similarly the US, Germany, Spain perhaps wouldn't have to do much.

I dont think they will take 2018 away - by the time they conduct an investigation and then there is an appeal and then another appeal to the court of arbitration for sport it will probably be 2018 anyway.

If they did take it away then like UEFA taking the euros away from Turkey I suspect they would invite cities from all around Europe (after all its apparently Europes turn in 2018) to host games

Nozzy

One thing in Fifa's favour IMO is their ethos of spreading the game - stupid in the Qatar example of course but Poland & Ukraine did host a Euro's, so perhaps an emergency relocation of 2018 to Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Austria & Hungary - all bordering each other & within 90 min flight range of each other - no need for a single new stadium.

Then there's the other Eastern Europe Countries, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria etc - these nations could group to host 2018. And lets face it, leaving country's with white elephant stadiums didn't stop Brazil & South Africa getting a World Cup. Of course this won't happen but it could.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I agree with this. The World Cup should be a reward and a celebration, not a tool to try to force-develop a countries sports infrastructure or similar. We all know of the problems that Brazilians have faced as a result of last years world cup, Russia has a history for high levels of racism in the sport, and Qatar... where do you start?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
One thing in Fifa's favour IMO is their ethos of spreading the game - stupid in the Qatar example of course but Poland & Ukraine did host a Euro's, so perhaps an emergency relocation of 2018 to Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Austria & Hungary - all bordering each other & within 90 min flight range of each other - no need for a single new stadium.

Then there's the other Eastern Europe Countries, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria etc - these nations could group to host 2018. And lets face it, leaving country's with white elephant stadiums didn't stop Brazil & South Africa getting a World Cup. Of course this won't happen but it could.
For 2018 it would utterly impossible, FIFA requires 40k+ modern stadiums with loads of press seats that bring capacity down anyway plus extra space around the pitch and so on

Poland
Warsaw - National Stadium
Chorzów - Silesian Stadium
Wroclaw - Stadion Miejski
Gdańsk - PGE Arena Gdańsk
Poznań - Stadion Miejski

No problem here, five good and modern stadiums fresh from hosting Euro 2012

But then you start to struggle

Czech Republic
Not a single one close to requirements

Slovakia

Austria
Only the Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna would be capable

Hungary
Not a single one close to requirements. Would require the National Stadium to be rebuilt very quickly, albeit there are plans to do so.

So you couldn't really host it over those five.

Neither Croatia, Serbia or Bulgaria have stadiums of the required size and certainly not of the required quality to host it either.

Everywhere would have to build new stadiums, infrastructure, hotels, transport links and so on and would have nothing but massive, crippling debt to show for it afterwards, plus the clubs aren't big enough to fill what would be the new grounds either.

Admittedly looking at our stadiums a few in different cities would require new stands and new facilities built in but for the most part we're sorted. The US and Germany could host it tomorrow if they had to.

Nozzy

For 2018 it would utterly impossible, FIFA requires 40k+ modern stadiums with loads of press seats that bring capacity down anyway plus extra space around the pitch and so on

Poland
Warsaw - National Stadium
Chorzów - Silesian Stadium
Wroclaw - Stadion Miejski
Gdańsk - PGE Arena Gdańsk
Poznań - Stadion Miejski

No problem here, five good and modern stadiums fresh from hosting Euro 2012

But then you start to struggle

Czech Republic

Slovakia

Austria
Only the Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna would be capable

Hungary
Not a single one close to requirements. Would require the National Stadium to be rebuilt very quickly, albeit there are plans to do so.

So you couldn't really host it over those five.

Neither Croatia, Serbia or Bulgaria have stadiums of the required size and certainly not of the required quality to host it either.

Everywhere would have to build new stadiums, infrastructure, hotels, transport links and so on and would have nothing but massive, crippling debt to show for it afterwards, plus the clubs aren't big enough to fill what would be the new grounds either.

Admittedly looking at our stadiums a few in different cities would require new stands and new facilities built in but for the most part we're sorted. The US and Germany could host it tomorrow if they had to.
In a special case such as 2018, the criteria could be changed, after all, moving them at this stage would be unprecedented but really, as I said, it won't happen, so there was little need to reply in such detail. ;)

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
In a special case such as 2018, the criteria could be changed, after all, moving them at this stage would be unprecedented but really, as I said, it won't happen, so there was little need to reply in such detail. ;)
It could be changed - but the question would be why? When one or more countries are ready to meet the existing criteria at shrot notice.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

That document excludes flscal crimes from being eligible for prosecution. Nothing in that documents indicate that Blatter's extradition is likely.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Just when all the suspects are in Asuncion already.

Last edited:

Kyonn

I thought Sepp stepped down?

Even if by some technicality he remains the chance of him appointing a successor is minimal...who wants to be associated with him?
His name is poison now.
Blatter is still president until a successor is elected and sworn in, most likely in Jan. And while he is loathed in the west many developing nation still support him and will no doubt back who is tells them to.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Blatter is still president until a successor is elected and sworn in, most likely in Jan. And while he is loathed in the west many developing nation still support him and will no doubt back who is tells them to.
:lol: I can't imagine the FIFA oath.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Surely we can go arrest Blatter as a 'terrorist', some of that dirty money must have ended up buying some guns, somewhere.

He can have a nice Military tribunal, good enough for anyone I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.