FBI investigation leads to indictments of FIFA Officials on corruption charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

::sonny::

Football is rotten into the core

What Moggi did at Juve is nothing compared to the Blatter's mafia.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Football is rotten into the core

What Moggi did at Juve is nothing compared to the Blatter's mafia.
Even if it has nothing to do with corruption, you realize how much football is sick when you see pathetic diving attempts and cheating in friendly matches among friends. What we see on TV, behavior from pros and from people who represent football, they have an influence on a lot of people.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The money was just resting in the FAI's account.

Lord knows what is going to come out about the English FA.

Also, will the FBI have the balls to go after Russia's bid?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
This is a really strange one. I've no idea at all what Ireland's case was. Bad decision happen all the time and you can't seek compensation.
FIFA tend to go to all costs to avoid any legal wrangles, probably to try and hide what's come out. Bearing in mind that Fifa wouldn't have had to pay if it went to court (the case would probably be laughed at) fifa probably just 'loaned' it to keep them sweet. I think this is much worse for the FAI than Fifa.

Fully Fledged

Makes you wonder about the reason behind paying them off.
Seems that Blatter in his latter years was quick to act on matters like this. TH handles and knocks Ireland out of the World Cup give them a £5m loan that they repay if they make the next world cup.
England have a goal ruled out that clearly crossed the line and we get Goal Line Technology after FIFA stating for years it would never happen.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
http://www.zeit.de/sport/2015-06/chuck-blazer-fifa-fussball-weltmeisterschaft-2022

:eek: I assume this will be in English soon. It alleges Germany made certain deals to guarantee the World Cup, including arms to Saudi Arabia.

-Arm sales to Saudi Arabia to get a vote from their representative on the ExCo
-Investment by VW and Bayer in Thailand for their rep
-Investment by Daimler in Hyundai for the owner of Hyundai's son's vote
-Leo Kirch the founder of Premiere, a pay per view TV network later bought by Sky, paid for TV rights of worthless Bayern Munich friendlies. FIFA member Franz Beckbauer was President of Bayern Munich at that time. Bayern played against Tunesia and Trindidad&Tobago. (voting FIFA members: Slim Chiboub and Jack Warner)

Last edited:

Lyricist

The article also states that those things were most likely "legal" but not very sportsmanlike and that these infos aren't new but have been known for 10 years. Just nobody really picked up on it or wanted to talk about it (perhaps as it involves a Western World Cup).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How's the overall reaction in Ireland? Surely this means they people in charge have to quit now.
Ha, I doubt it. A large contingent of the FAI will think Delaney pulled a cute stroke by scalping FIFA for €5 million.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
This is getting to the point I start to struggle explaining to the world why I take an interest in professional football. I miss the world where the only criticism I had to battle was 'it's fecking boring'.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The article also states that those things were most likely "legal" but not very sportsmanlike and that these infos aren't new but have been known for 10 years. Just nobody really picked up on it or wanted to talk about it (perhaps as it involves a Western World Cup).
Yeah, it's most definitely legal, but it's still shady looking. Like Beckenbauer going to work for Gazprom 6 months after voting for Russia (most likely).

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
So, when we will see actual real legal challenge against on-field decision? Heavily implied that the Irish somehow actually had a case...

itso 7

This is a really strange one. I've no idea at all what Ireland's case was. Bad decision happen all the time and you can't seek compensation.
FIFA tend to go to all costs to avoid any legal wrangles, probably to try and hide what's come out. Bearing in mind that Fifa wouldn't have had to pay if it went to court (the case would probably be laughed at) fifa probably just 'loaned' it to keep them sweet. I think this is much worse for the FAI than Fifa.
Maybe Ireland or someone had a smoking gun that FIFA feared would bring the whole house down? I'm saying this because it looks like FIFA had a number of people gunning for them so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this case, as stupid as it sounds, could have afforded such individuals a platform to air out some dirt on them.

mu77

it's a world wide game - it will be a world wide scandal. asia , europe N & S America , everywhere. this is just the beginning of the shit hitting the fan.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The deals they are talking about there are very much the kind of horse-trading that passes for global diplomacy and developing international trade relations. Not that different to the kind of dealing that goes on for UN votes or on a single nation scale the kind of deals that are believed to be offered to US Senators in return for votes/influence. It's not really surprising to see FIFA and the World Cup in the blend. I seem to remember Britain's attempt at relationship building with China in the 70s being reflected in London Zoo getting a pair of Giant Pandas.

The other kind of deal, the more direct "vote-swapping" arrangement that Spain/Portugal's bid team made with Qatar is also pretty commonplace, inside and outside football. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

It's FIFA's job to control those things so that they still take into account the suitability of venues, for players, for fans and to stop individuals having so much influence on a vote that they make bribery worthwhile. FIFA can't be trusted to do that and people like Blatter have built their whole careers on it failing to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.