FC Barcelona 2016/2017

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm not saying that because he is french but I think that Umtiti has been good for Barcelona, I also think that Piqué has been good but the rest of the team is just not playing well, the most staggering thing is how their abilities dropped from a technical standpoint only Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Piqué and Umtiti are handling the ball properly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think it's more to do with the fact that without the sale of one of those players they won't possess the funds to purchase the necessary quality in the positions they need to bolster. Their transfer business the past few years has been largely underwhelming, since the Neymar signing I struggle to think of any players that has significantly improved them and it's beginning to catch up with them.

They aren't stacked for cash and they still need to sign Messi down to a new contract, the wages that front three demand must be outrageous and as a result they are penny pinching in the transfer market with players like Gomes. I genuinely believe they need to take one step back to take 2 steps forward and reclaim their former glory because as of now there are glaring weaknesses in their squad, defence and midfield.
Suarez.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Never replaced Dani Alves, trying to shoehorn Roberto into the RB position is ridiculous.

Their midfield lacks energy and fight. If they can't control possession they are very vulnerable. Last night showed Gomes/Iniesta/Busquets is far too weak especially when the game is stretched, their lack of pace was massively evident.

Last night their attack was very poor apart from Neymar who I thought tried hard, but Messi and Suarez looked knackered.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
How can it be that Barcelona are NOT absolutely loaded with money?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Next summer, not necessary to sell some players, just add 3-4 players: 1 defender, 2 midfielders and one sub in attack.

It would be a mistake to sell a part of the MSN to get cash.

Yeah, crazy. Barcelona has the financial power to make smart acquisitions.

There are only 3-4 clubs stronger financially.

JPRouve

Scout
They spend an obscene amount of money on wages and they only started to actually enter the marketing dance in the last 5 years or so.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Think it's more to do with the fact that without the sale of one of those players they won't possess the funds to purchase the necessary quality in the positions they need to bolster. Their transfer business the past few years has been largely underwhelming, since the Neymar signing I struggle to think of any players that has significantly improved them and it's beginning to catch up with them.

They aren't stacked for cash and they still need to sign Messi down to a new contract, the wages that front three demand must be outrageous and as a result they are penny pinching in the transfer market with players like Gomes. I genuinely believe they need to take one step back to take 2 steps forward and reclaim their former glory because as of now there are glaring weaknesses in their squad, defence and midfield.
They still had a net spend of ~100m€ this summer. If you spent over 30 million for the likes of Comes, Alcacer or Turan you need better scouts not more funds.
And even if they'd break that front three apart to have more money, who's available which they don't have the money for? It's not like Matthäus, Gullit and Thuram are out there waiting to be signed but they can't afford them. Getting rid of the best offense in the world to gamble on potential improvements in other areas is just way too risky.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
They spend an obscene amount of money on wages and they only started to actually enter the marketing dance in the last 5 years or so.
Yeah, they played with Unicef as their shirt "sponsor" for years didn't they? Admirable I must say. Even if I do hate the club. :smirk:

Womp

idiot
They still had a net spend of ~100m€ this summer. If you spent over 30 million for the likes of Comes, Alcacer or Turan you need better scouts not more funds.
And even if they'd break that front three apart to have more money, who's available which they don't have the money for? It's not like Matthäus, Gullit and Thuram are out there waiting to be signed but they can't afford them. Getting rid of the best offense in the world to gamble on potential improvements in other areas is just way too risky.
Their aim should be players of the Veratti mould. IMO they are going to need a new CB, a RB and 2 new CM(Assuming Rakitic stays and Gomes decides to become half decent) and a back-up for their front 3. Signing players with the required ability to play for Barcelona in those positions is going to cost a lot. I feel they're making the same mistake we made, ignoring the glaring problems in the squad and papering over the cracks with signings like RVP or Suarez. When their front 3 is clicking everything is rosy because they are unbelievable, but in games like these when they just aren't up for it, their shortcomings as a team are brutally exposed.

Now that being said, I'm only making the assumption that they aren't stacked for cash due to their business in the transfer window the past few seasons, but if they indeed aren't and they do need to sell one of the front 3, I think it would benefit them in the long run.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah, they played with Unicef as their shirt "sponsor" for years didn't they? Admirable I must say. Even if I do hate the club. :smirk:
Nice gesture obviously, but the cynic in me suggests it was merely a PR-friendly way of abandoning their no-sponsor principle in order to rake in the big money in the long term.

JPRouve

Scout
Nice gesture obviously, but the cynic in me suggests it was merely a PR-friendly way of abandoning their no-sponsor principle in order to rake in the big money in the long term.
IIRC, it was combined with the Qatar sponsorship on the inside of the shirt, so yeah it was part PR, part guilt.

Castia

It wouldn't be a massive shock for me to see Messi sold in the summer, I think both City and PSG would be willing to pay an obscene amount of cash, money Barce could use to rebuild.

I always though Messi would be at Barce for life (still very possible) but rumblings about his contract and Barcelona needing money might twist their arm. He's approaching 30 and his value is still sky high if he was to go it would probably be this summer.

Kasper

Supports
Their aim should be players of the Veratti mould. IMO they are going to need a new CB, a RB and 2 new CM(Assuming Rakitic stays and Gomes decides to become half decent) and a back-up for their front 3. Signing players with the required ability to play for Barcelona in those positions is going to cost a lot. I feel they're making the same mistake we made, ignoring the glaring problems in the squad and papering over the cracks with signings like RVP or Suarez. When their front 3 is clicking everything is rosy because they are unbelievable, but in games like these when they just aren't up for it, their shortcomings as a team are brutally exposed.

Now that being said, I'm only making the assumption that they aren't stacked for cash due to their business in the transfer window the past few seasons, but if they indeed aren't and they do need to sell one of the front 3, I think it would benefit them in the long run.
Sounds great on paper but how many players of the Veratti mould are available? And its not a given fact that the MSN wages are stopping them from getting those players. Spending 100m last summer doesn't indicate that for me.

JoaquinJoaquin

It's ok they will hammer someone like Almeria 6-0 again at the weekend. This just shows how bad the standard of La Liga's defences have become.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Even putting this result aside anyone who has seen Barca play regularly this season can tell you that this team is a shadow of the great team of a few years back. Barca over the last decade mesmerised you with their football and it was just incredible to watch a team dominate matches so comprehensively. This team on the other hand just relies on the big 3 to do special things and apart from them there is no real quality. I would even say that apart from the big 3 ,man 2 man we have a superior squad to Barca .

Kasper

Supports
It's ok they will hammer someone like Almeria 6-0 again at the weekend. This just shows how bad the standard of La Liga's defences have become.
The standard of LA Liga defences isn't bad its just that goal difference doesn't count so losing teams still go for it and don't bother about how many they concede. And an attack of Messi Suarez Neymar would destroy midtable to bottom teams in every European league.

RoyH1

Golden generations come to an end and as good as the Masia is at developing players, a new one is not coming right around the corner. Barsa has bought too much mediocre talent to compensate for the departure/retirement of world class talent.

Add that to Luis Enrique's limitations as a manager and the results are evident.

But Barcelona is a dream destination for any manager or player. If they spend judiciously in the summer and get a top manager they'll be back with a furious vengeance in the CL next season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Barca's financial problems are the wages. Both neymar and suarez are tied up with wages of around £500k a week, messi is currently making £850k a week and is asking for a new contract worth well over £1M a week. They have the fourth highest revenue in sports and more than 70% of that goes in wages

About neymar, he's having a good season but he's not scoring. I think he's created the most chances to score in europe, has got a gazillion assists and generally played well, with some great performances here and there. It's just that he's not scoring. The problem is, we've all seen him at his best in 2015 so now if he's not playing at that ludicrously high level(seriously, his 2015 was comparable with cristiano's 2007-2008, or dinho's 2005), it feels like he's doing badly...

Fenomeno9

Normally, I would consider this tie over but MSN can be unplayable when they are on form and they could easily turn this tie around.

I remember a couple of season ago AC Milan beat Arsenal by the same scoreline and they turn around and scored 3 in the return leg and very nearly turning around the deficit.

Water Melon

Normally, I would consider this tie over but MSN can be unplayable when they are on form and they could easily turn this tie around.

I remember a couple of season ago AC Milan beat Arsenal by the same scoreline and they turn around and scored 3 in the return leg and very nearly turning around the deficit.
MSN are indeed unplayable when on form, but PSG are no Leicester either. The French team's midfield and defense are better, Catalonians have better attackers. I think Barca will either draw at home or win by 1 goal max. If the French score first Barca will lose.

prath92

their wages account for about 70% of their income i think. plus they need to give messi a payrise as his contract is up in 2018.

Peanut Butter

I'd sell Messi asap whilst he is worth a bit. He was woeful last night - bloke can't be bothered.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I wouldn't want Messi now. He would sell shit loads of shirts but his best days are behind him, same goes for Ronaldo.
Are you kidding? He's having a great season. One bad game doesn't change that

Peanut Butter

Nope I am serious. I would rather we spent money on players that will have us challenge for many years. There's something about Messi I don't like too - he would sulk around the place if we weren't winning I reckon.

It's all moot anyway - he will never leave Barca for England.

Celestiale

He's having a great season against the likes of Alaves or Pamplona. Against top teams he was mostly invisible lately, if not even harming his own team (yesterday or the Copa America final as prime examples)

Stacks

Nope I am serious. I would rather we spent money on players that will have us challenge for many years. There's something about Messi I don't like too - he would sulk around the place if we weren't winning I reckon.

It's all moot anyway - he will never leave Barca for England.
so that Hatrick against City didn't do it for you then huh?

EDIT - he has 32 goals already this season. If he had someone like that we would be top of the league

prarek

Inconsistency. They have looked great at times but also very out of sorts on many occasions. Their forward line is good enough to get them out of trouble most of the times but when they're not on fire especially against high calibre teams like yesterday they get found out.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was the difference for them against atletico just last two weeks. He was very good in final of Copa 2016, it was the rest of the team that let him down. He also had a couple moments of sheer brilliance that should have won them the Cup in 2015, except lavezzi and higuain choked them away

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was the difference for them against atletico just last two weeks. He was very good in final of Copa 2016, it was the rest of the team that let him down. He also had a couple moments of sheer brilliance that should have won them the Cup in 2015, except lavezzi and higuain choked them away
He was class against Sevilla too.

Celestiale

Inconsistency. They have looked great at times but also very out of sorts on many occasions.
Because they are solely depending on MSN. While they used to have a top team all around back then, they first lost their good defence with the departure of Puyol, and lately lost their good midfield with the departure of Xavi, and Iniesta is just past it now. Take MSN away, and they look like a pretty ordinary team right now.
I wouldn't ever trade our first VIII (first 11 without attacking three) with theirs right now

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Because they are solely depending on MSN. While they used to have a top team all around back then, they first lost their good defence with the departure of Puyol, and lately lost their good midfield with the departure of Xavi, and Iniesta is just past it now. Take MSN away, and they look like a pretty ordinary team right now.
I wouldn't ever trade our first VIII (first 11 without attacking three) with theirs right now
And at the end they lost Dani Alvès, more than a defender.