g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FC Barcelona 2016/2017

Terminator

They'll be alright, their defeat was pretty bad and demoralising but I think they will bounce back well in the league.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
They basically have the same team (many preferred this team to Peps). Iniesta is 2 years older, Alvez is gone and Mascherano was out. They still for me have the best 11 in the world and I would not swap any 11 for theirs
Best front three, but overrall Madrid's is better IMO.

Kroos, Modric and Casemiro is a much better midfield in 2017 than Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic. Madrid also have arguably the best two full backs in the world.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Of all the PL managers they could take, Klopp, Poch, Guardiola etc, they're being linked with fecking Koeman...

Bastards have got a chance to truly unstable any of our key rivals, and instead they're taking Everton's manager. Bah.

Stacks

Best front three, but overrall Madrid's is better IMO.

Kroos, Modric and Casemiro is a much better midfield in 2017 than Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic. Madrid also have arguably the best two full backs in the world.
Is Casemiro much better than Busquets? we have seen Busquets as an important player in 2 great champions league winning and title winning sides. Xavi also sings his praises but we have seen with Enriques tactics, the midfielders become less important so this could be contributing. I have seen Busquets do very well in the past and offer control. I would keep him. Modric and Kroos are better duo than Rakitic and Iniesta but then Modric may start to decline too. Also if Barca went back to their controlling tactics, would their midfielders improve? Are Carvajal or Nacho that good? I haven't watched them that much so I did a quick comparison of their actions and Valencia destroys them both defensively and offensively. I admit I underrated Tony V just because he is awkward. Tony V tackles more, makes more clearances, more interceptions, takes on 3 times as many players, creates more. There are probably other RB around who are as good as Real's as well.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Is Casemiro much better than Busquets? we have seen Busquets as an important player in 2 great champions league winning and title winning sides. Xavi also sings his praises but we have seen with Enriques tactics, the midfielders become less important so this could be contributing. I have seen Busquets do very well in the past and offer control. I would keep him. Modric and Kroos are better duo than Rakitic and Iniesta but then Modric may start to decline too. Also if Barca went back to their controlling tactics, would their midfielders improve? Are Carvajal or Nacho that good? I haven't watched them that much so I did a quick comparison of their actions and Valencia destroys them both defensively and offensively. I admit I underrated Tony V just because he is awkward. Tony V tackles more, makes more clearances, more interceptions, takes on 3 times as many players, creates more. There are probably other RB around who are as good as Real's as well.
Nacho is backup for all four defensive positions. Marcelo is easily better than Alba and I can't think of anyone better in that position. I watch a lot of Real Madrid and Carvajal is consistent and solid both defensively and offensively. It was his cross with the outside of his boot that created Madrid's first last night - meanwhile Barcelona haven't replaced Dani Alves.

I would agree Busquets is a better player than Casemiro, but based on this seasons form not by much. As a unit Madrid's midfield is better, but I may be biased as Kroos and Modric are two of my favourite players to watch.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax

It's not about player A is better than player B. Casemiro plays in a system where his strengths are amplified arena weakness minimised. The opposite is for Busquets since Tito left.

Individually, Casemiro can cover more ground and is sturdier, faster, better at winming aerial duels and second balls.

Busquets is more intelligent, better at reading the game and better at intercepting, he is a better passer, more press restistant and gives the ball to his teammates in a better position. Casemiro's job is to win the ball and pass it to Modric and Kroos to ball carry.

In a counter attacking system I would prefer Casemiro, in a team that has tighter lines and plays between the lines, Busquets. As footballers Busquets is a much better player but that means little.

As for the full backs, Marcelo is essentially a winger, he has the technical ability of a midfielder and has one of the best crosses. He is criticised a lot for his defensive ability but he is the ball carrier on the left so he has to stay high up because Kroos isn't a ball carrier and Ronaldo isn't a winger and he provides the width.

Carvajal is a solid fullback that has improved his technique, his crossing has improved as we saw with that Outside the boot cross for benzemas goal. He has a lot more cover. He is a similar type of Full back to Philip Lahm although not as intelligent.

Madrid have a very complete team and they play in a way that suits every players strengths which is all you can ask for.

Stacks

Nacho is backup for all four defensive positions. Marcelo is easily better than Alba and I can't think of anyone better in that position. I watch a lot of Real Madrid and Carvajal is consistent and solid both defensively and offensively. It was his cross with the outside of his boot that created Madrid's first last night - meanwhile Barcelona haven't replaced Dani Alves.

I would agree Busquets is a better player than Casemiro, but based on this seasons form not by much. As a unit Madrid's midfield is better, but I may be biased as Kroos and Modric are two of my favourite players to watch.
But then Neymar on his day can be as good as Bale or they are the same level. Both Suarez and Messi are better than Ronaldo or Benzema. Therefore there isn't much in it and I still feel they have the best 11. They have 3/4 best attackers in the world. Pique Umtiti and Mascherano are good enough defensively. Alba is very good. What if they push Mascherano into midfield with Busquets and then signed another?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Of all the PL managers they could take, Klopp, Poch, Guardiola etc, they're being linked with fecking Koeman...

Bastards have got a chance to truly unstable any of our key rivals, and instead they're taking Everton's manager. Bah.
I would take every bit of speculation like that with a massive pinch of salt, and i'm confident our next boss won't be somebody currently managing an English club. I won't be chuffed if Ronald Koeman replaces Luis Enrique.

Stacks

It's not about player A is better than player B. Casemiro plays in a system where his strengths are amplified arena weakness minimised. The opposite is for Busquets since Tito left.

Individually, Casemiro can cover more ground and is sturdier, faster, better at winming aerial duels and second balls.

Busquets is more intelligent, better at reading the game and better at intercepting, he is a better passer, more press restistant and gives the ball to his teammates in a better position. Casemiro's job is to win the ball and pass it to Modric and Kroos to ball carry.

In a counter attacking system I would prefer Casemiro, in a team that has tighter lines and plays between the lines, Busquets. As footballers Busquets is a much better player but that means little.

As for the full backs, Marcelo is essentially a winger, he has the technical ability of a midfielder and has one of the best crosses. He is criticised a lot for his defensive ability but he is the ball carrier on the left so he has to stay high up because Kroos isn't a ball carrier and Ronaldo isn't a winger and he provides the width.

Carvajal is a solid fullback that has improved his technique, his crossing has improved as we saw with that Outside the boot cross for benzemas goal. He has a lot more cover. He is a similar type of Full back to Philip Lahm although not as intelligent.

Madrid have a very complete team and they play in a way that suits every players strengths which is all you can ask for.
So if Barcelona changed their manager and maybe bought a RB and or a CM, then they would be better no?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
So if Barcelona changed their manager and maybe bought a RB and or a CM, then they would be better no?
The personnel are fine. Perhaps a right back but Vidal is good enough. The coaching is just very subpar. Andre Gomes, Rafinha, Suarez are good enough midfielders for Barcelona. They don't use any of the concepts that have made the club great. You can't have such poor compactness on and off the ball. The spacing between the midfielders is the antithesis of Cruijffs methodology. Barcelona have no game plan any no automatisms.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Busquets is a much better player than Casemiro, but that is only one of several components that make up a performance.

When given the right role, a lesser player will look better than an excellent player in an inappropriate role.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I would take every bit of speculation like that with a massive pinch of salt, and i'm confident our next boss won't be somebody currently managing an English club. I won't be chuffed if Ronald Koeman replaces Luis Enrique.
How would you feel about each of these taking over your club...

Klopp
Poch
Guardiola returning

Genuinely interested.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Koeman is a defensive coach. He doesn't fit the ethos of the club. As I mentioned in detail in the last page, the only coaches capable of using the concepts that Cruijff espoused are Sarri, Tuchel, Paco Jemez, Sampaoli with lillo as his assistant and Guardiola.

Guardiola won't return for obvious reasons. He despises the current board. Sarri loves Napoli and I'm not sure he can speak Spanish, Paco Jemez might not be able to win the dressing room because he doesn't have the profile. That leaves Sampaoli who has slowly been transforming into a Cruijffista since Lillo became his assistant.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guardiola advised them to hire Valverde after Tito's illness made it impossible for him to continue

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
How would you feel about each of these taking over your club...

Klopp
Poch
Guardiola returning

Genuinely interested.
I rate all three but as coaches but none of the men you mentioned will be at Barcelona. I don't mind Klopp at Barcelona one day but i want to see him win some silverware with Liverpool playing possession football before feeling convinced Klopp is an ideal coach for a possession based team. Pochettino's Espanol history will in all likelihood rule him out. I'm impressed with the job he has done at Tottenham though but there are still concerns - should have done better in the Champions League and i was disappointed with their fade out last season once the title was gone. His faith in young players is admirable and i have enjoyed watching them though. As i say, i doubt he'll be Barcelona manager given his Espanol association. Guardiola won't be back at the club in any capacity for a while so we don't have to look at him for a while. Would love him to return as manager one day but it won't be for a while. I want to see Jorge Sampaoli as Barcelona boss next season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They have regressed an incredible amount when it comes to the midfield and defence. The defence is average now and regularly gets overrun. Madrid's is about twice as good in comparison. Where they needed proper upgrades they got that Andre Silva fellow who looks rubbish.

And the defence too is just not up to scratch. Mathiu, Vidal, Roberto etc. are a clear sign of the standards being dropped.

The front three bails them out a lot but it's just been papering over the cracks that the team has issues.

Also, I think Enrique has been poor. His team somehow gets overrun by mid table la liga sides regularly and his only answer seems to be to hope MSN wins stuff on their own.

amolbhatia50k

I rate all three but as coaches but none of the men you mentioned will be at Barcelona. I don't mind Klopp at Barcelona one day but i want to see him win some silverware with Liverpool playing possession football before feeling convinced Klopp is an ideal coach for a possession based team. Pochettino's Espanol history will in all likelihood rule him out. I'm impressed with the job he has done at Tottenham though but there are still concerns - should have done better in the Champions League and i was disappointed with their fade out last season once the title was gone. His faith in young players is admirable and i have enjoyed watching them though. As i say, i doubt he'll be Barcelona manager given his Espanol association. Guardiola won't be back at the club in any capacity for a while so we don't have to look at him for a while. Would love him to return as manager one day but it won't be for a while. I want to see Jorge Sampaoli as Barcelona boss next season.
What do you make of all your signings? They all appear to be average to me. At least given the standards set in the past and that you need to be at now. Okay right backs. Okay left backs. Players like Matheiu and Umtiti in defence. Andre Silva and not a lot of quality in midfield (compared to Madrid and old Barcelona).

Stacks

The personnel are fine. Perhaps a right back but Vidal is good enough. The coaching is just very subpar. Andre Gomes, Rafinha, Suarez are good enough midfielders for Barcelona. They don't use any of the concepts that have made the club great. You can't have such poor compactness on and off the ball. The spacing between the midfielders is the antithesis of Cruijffs methodology. Barcelona have no game plan any no automatisms.
This was my original belief. Earlier in the thread I said they have the best 11 in the world for me, when others were rinsing them, claiming they need a clear out. Turan is good as well.

Stacks

They have regressed an incredible amount when it comes to the midfield and defence. The defence is average now and regularly gets overrun. Madrid's is about twice as good in comparison. Where they needed proper upgrades they got that Andre Silva fellow who looks rubbish.

And the defence too is just not up to scratch. Mathiu, Vidal, Roberto etc. are a clear sign of the standards being dropped.

The front three bails them out a lot but it's just been papering over the cracks that the team has issues.

Also, I think Enrique has been poor. His team somehow gets overrun by mid table la liga sides regularly and his only answer seems to be to hope MSN wins stuff on their own.
It isn't. Neither Ramos nor Pepe, are much better than Mascherano or Pique. Umtiti has been a good signing. If they controlled games like they did before, the defence wouldn't come under so much strain.

RooneyLegend

That was one of the most noticable things about Barca's bad shape to me on Tuesday. Iniesta and Messi doing so much in build up play, sometimes from areas where formerly the CBs and Busquets would have been in control of the passing game. That's a big problem, and their presence was missing further up the pitch.
emery man marked Busquets with cavani, the build up was doomed from that very point as it meant that Iniesta couldnt get the ball from the one player he receives most of his passes from. It was a tactical masterclass tbh.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What do you make of all your signings? They all appear to be average to me. At least given the standards set in the past and that you need to be at now. Okay right backs. Okay left backs. Players like Matheiu and Umtiti in defence. Andre Silva and not a lot of quality in midfield (compared to Madrid and old Barcelona).
The signings in 2014 were fine. Whoever signed Andre Gomes has some questions to answer.

Suedesi

It isn't. Neither Ramos nor Pepe, are much better than Mascherano or Pique. Umtiti has been a good signing. If they controlled games like they did before, the defence wouldn't come under so much strain.
Ramos has been great, and Pepe was the outstanding defender of the Euros. Varane is also an adequate cover. Both Pepe and Ramos are MUCH better than Pique and especially Mascherano who is a diabolical CB and should only play as DM. Mascherano has no height or jump and Pique seems to have lost the pace.

Stacks

Ramos has been great, and Pepe was the outstanding defender of the Euros. Varane is also an adequate cover. Both Pepe and Ramos are MUCH better than Pique and especially Mascherano who is a diabolical CB and should only play as DM. Mascherano has no height or jump and Pique seems to have lost the pace.
Diabolical??? won Barcelona player of the season as a CB, also Uefa team of the year and is highly rated by his peers.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This was my original belief. Earlier in the thread I said they have the best 11 in the world for me, when others were rinsing them, claiming they need a clear out. Turan is good as well.
The fullbacks definitely aren't fine, there's something wrong with Rakitic, Iniesta is getting old, and in 1-2 years Suarez and Messi will hit big declines. They have big squad headaches, especially in the next 2-3 years.

Stacks

The fullbacks definitely aren't fine, there's something wrong with Rakitic, Iniesta is getting old, and in 1-2 years Suarez and Messi will hit big declines. They have big squad headaches, especially in the next 2-3 years.
Alba is proven. They can just buy Bellerin when Wenger leaves and they're fine.

3KDré

If there's one player that will bring them back to their best IMO it will be Verratti. That's what they miss more than anything, someone who can control the midfield, slow the game down and speed it up when required.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What about La Masia?
No promising talents capable to challenge and replace the current players in the long run?
Who are the next Iniesta, Guardiola, Xavi and Puyol?

reddevil702

It just seems like they haven't improved the squad since they signed Luis Suarez. I remember reading something back in their treble year that even then the profit margin was very small due to the salaries of MSN. Their recent signings don't seem Barca quality and more just to patch things up. The next two summer windows will be very important for them as Messi and Suarez age and start to become mere humans that can't cover up for an old midfield and weak defence.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
What about La Masia?
No promising talents capable to challenge and replace the current players in the long run?
Who are the next Iniesta, Guardiola, Xavi and Puyol?
I think that it's so good as always.The method is the same.They simply need confidence.Xavi Also had difficult times and Busquets was unknown before Guardiola,I mean,not a famous promise.
When Bellerin leaves with 16 and instead you spend the money in Aleix,or Grimaldo is at Benfica,then I guess that the board is the guilty

cyberman

It just seems like they haven't improved the squad since they signed Luis Suarez. I remember reading something back in their treble year that even then the profit margin was very small due to the salaries of MSN. Their recent signings don't seem Barca quality and more just to patch things up. The next two summer windows will be very important for them as Messi and Suarez age and start to become mere humans that can't cover up for an old midfield and weak defence.
They made a loss on the CL after winning the fecking thing due to player bonuses.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I think that it's so good as always.The method is the same.They simply need confidence.Xavi Also had difficult times and Busquets was unknown before Guardiola,I mean,not a famous promise.
When Bellerin leaves with 16 and instead you spend the money in Aleix,or Grimaldo is at Benfica,then I guess that the board is the guilty
I agree with you.

Now, if I look at Spain under 21 and Spain under 19, there are certainly players of Barcelona.

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Let's not overreact. They are still in a very good spot. Luis Enrique won everything with them and now they should probably look for a new manager to freshen thing up. Their squad is excellent (with the exception of a proper RB). No team plays on the highest level year in year out. Occasionally you get a heavy beating, if you don’t turn up against a very good team. They need to ship out 2-3 squad players and bring in 2-3 player, who can really compete for the first team (+ a new manager), but that is not the end of the world.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Let's not overreact. They are still in a very good spot. Luis Enrique won everything with them and now they should probably look for a new manager to freshen thing up. Their squad is excellent (with the exception of a proper RB). No team plays on the highest level year in year out. Occasionally you get a heavy beating, if you don’t turn up against a very good team. They need to ship out 2-3 squad players and bring in 2-3 player, who can really compete for the first team (+ a new manager), but that is not the end of the world.
Yeah, they just need to add 2 or 3 new players next summer + 1 back-up in attack.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I agree with you.

Now, if I look at Spain under 21 and Spain under 19, who plays for Barcelona?

That's a good example.I think that only Denis,the one with minutes in Primera.For the name I'd say Pau? but I don't know.Most of those guys are getting minutes in first division or have been loaned as Vallejo and Mayoral.
I think that some Barsa póster(dont remember Who) told me here that with Deulofeu the club could have done better and FCBarca wasn't happy selling Munir and buying Alcácer

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Yeah, they just need to add 2 or 3 new players next summer + 1 back-up in attack.

I'd love to see how Oliver Torres would work in their team. I havn't seen a lot from him since he moved to Porto. Maybe I am overrating him, but I think he'd be the perfect Barca player.

My general point is, that Barca, Real and had times where someone made them look very ordinary, but that doesn’t mean, that they are imploding. People predicated the decline of Barca quite a few times since Pep left, but they always carry on.

edit: Munir is imo just on a loan.

amolbhatia50k

I mean the midfield.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
My general point is, that Barca, Real and had times where someone made them look very ordinary, but that doesn’t mean, that they are imploding. People predicated the decline of Barca quite a few times since Pep left, but they always carry on.
Sure, they will continue to dominate European Football as usual.

Top 3 La Liga since 2004