[FCUoM] Congratulations FC United

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Great to see, it's obvious how much hard work was put into the club.

Just to enter into ivaldo's wummy argument. There is going to be hard decisions to be made in the future and it's not hard to believe that some of those decisions will invite calls of hypocrisy.

The trouble is that when all is said and done, it's a football club and if a football club isn't progressing fans or players will start to lose interest. At what level do they decide they don't need to take the next step to go up to the next division?

Players or managers are going to get frustrated at the lack of ambition if they don't start conforming to the financial pressures of the game when they get higher up. It'll be interesting to see how it's handled.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Congrats to FCUoM, an immense achievement. For those who haven't been to a non-league match, you are missing out on a really authentic experience.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Where to begin.

It all got a bit too much for some at the end, reds who have been all over the world were in tears. Incredible scenes.

As for some of the questions above, I'd personally like us to remain in Non League for the foreseeable future and be a genuine grass roots alternative to "modern football."

I'd recommend it to anyone next season when MUFC aren't playing, you'd be made very welcome. The club was built out of love for United and Manchester. "For United, By United"

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Give it a decade and they'll both be battling it out with United for the Premier League! :smirk:
Haah...

Seriously though, I think clubs like them can reach till league 1 or league 2 relatively quickly but after that it will be tough going.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Immense achievement by them. All the best to them in future.

Booyakasha

I must admit I wasn't the biggest fan of FCUoM when it was formed but watching them live the last time I was in Manchester has changed the way I view the club. It is based on a romantic vision of football but what is football without romance, eh? Like pexbo says, they will have some very tough decisions to make but the good thing is that they will be made democratically by fans who have the club's footballing interests at heart. The idea that financial profitability should be incidental to the running of a football club and not the reason for its existence is a noble one, but at the end of the day, success on the pitch costs money. The heart wants them to succeed, but the head says they probably will end up emulating the monsters they are fighting.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It is based on a romantic vision of football but what is football without romance, eh?
An admiration of the proficiency of accountants – or something like that. Or the pleasure (but Christ, what a pleasure) in pointing out that the world is pretty mean and cold at the end of the day. I honestly don't know. But belated congrats to FC – well done!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Where to begin.

It all got a bit too much for some at the end, reds who have been all over the world were in tears. Incredible scenes.

As for some of the questions above, I'd personally like us to remain in Non League for the foreseeable future and be a genuine grass roots alternative to "modern football."

I'd recommend it to anyone next season when MUFC aren't playing, you'd be made very welcome. The club was built out of love for United and Manchester. "For United, By United"
I find that concept a bit odd, I struggle to understand the idea of supporting a club and not wanting them to achieve their full potential, it tends to go hand in hand with any professional sport.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I find that concept a bit odd, I struggle to understand the idea of supporting a club and not wanting them to achieve their full potential, it tends to go hand in hand with any professional sport.
Depends what you want football to be. For me it's a community, it's about getting together with your mates on a Saturday. "Anyone who knows anything about football knows that football is not about football."

As it stands, I wouldn't want FC to be in the FL. Less stadiums with terracing, kick offs moved for sky etc. It's shi** quite frankly.

Being a solid Conference club with a Bilbao like attitude of making sure the majority of the team coming through the ranks of the up and coming academy.

Anyway, here's a great video from last night

JB7

Haah...

Seriously though, I think clubs like them can reach till league 1 or league 2 relatively quickly but after that it will be tough going.
You really can't. If you make League 1 then in time you'll go all the way. My club have got to the Conference twice now and been relegated twice. That's the first serious test for a fans owned club.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
You really can't. If you make League 1 then in time you'll go all the way. My club have got to the Conference twice now and been relegated twice. That's the first serious test for a fans owned club.
Ah, OK. While writing that I was wondering if league 1 is still step too big because there are some relatively bigger clubs there. I thought though that difference between conference and league 2 might not be much.

JB7

Ah, OK. While writing that I was wondering if league 1 is still step too big because there are some relatively bigger clubs there. I thought though that difference between conference and league 2 might not be much.
Yeah, gap between the top half of the Conference and League 2 isn't too bad. But the gap between Conference National and Conference North is huge and is a big struggle for fans owned clubs without relatively wealthy financial backers. FCUM should do well at Conference North level, would expect a promotion within 2-3 years, but once they get into the Conf National it'll be a big challenge for them.

togg

really chuffed for them. They have their dream and values and stuck with them and are finally getting a big reward. It's ground roots football and hey....you never know...

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Great stuff. I went to see them when visiting Manchester about a month ago and I absolutely loved it. Superb support and surprisingly good quality on the game as well.
Definitely going to see them again at the new stadium.
I know a few lads from Ireland that always come over when United are playing on the Sunday.

The football is decent as a lot of the team are former academy players from PL clubs who have been released. Craig Lindfield, our winger, played for Liverpool against United in the 2007 Youth Cup final.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
One positive if Chorley don't get promoted is that there'll be some more games with these two. Always fun.

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
Wonder if they are debt-proof.
Certainly from the kind of debt that can be loaded on to a club be an investor or would be sugar daddy. No fat business man, sat sweating in his American office, looking at spread sheets and the potential profit they could line their own pockets with can load debt on to the club.

Other kinds of debt? Who knows?

With one more promotion, will the club be able to smoothly transition into a national game rather than the regional level we're currently at? Will the new stadium be a catalyst for further growth and promotions or something that needs constant development and therefore even more money in to the coffers?

Who knows? But it's going to be a fantastic ride finding out.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Exactly, I never did understand the hostility towards the Glazers. Yeah so they secured half a billion against the club, but all they wanted that money for was to invest it straight back into the club. It's not like they just used it for themselves to buy a company they couldn't otherwise afford or anything.
Hehehe

well said.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Exactly, I never did understand the hostility towards the Glazers. Yeah so they secured half a billion against the club, but all they wanted that money for was to invest it straight back into the club. It's not like they just used it for themselves to buy a company they couldn't otherwise afford or anything.
Absolutely man. The Glazers had our best interests at heart by gettin us so much in debt. They wanted to make us bigger & more of a global franchise, than we were. I applaud them for what they have done & i'm delighted that our debt is way onto being zero & that they can roll around in beds of dollars.

Glazers = Saviours of the club. Legends :devil:

Great post Sir - funny as f*ck man. Surprised no-one's fell for it LOL