Fellaini's best moments

Saffron

Basically scored a really important goal in the last 3 trophies we won and a few assists as well. For 22m I don't think it was that bad a return.

Where did you get the 22m figure from? Pretty sure it was £27.5 million.

And you can't compare 2013 prices to today. Andy Carroll got mocked endlessly for costing £35m since it was a huge sum back then. It's what you paid for players you expected would make a big impact.

Frank Grimes

Where did you get the 22m figure from? Pretty sure it was £27.5 million.

And you can't compare 2013 prices to today. Andy Carroll got mocked endlessly for costing £35m since it was a huge sum back then. It's what you paid for players you expected would make a big impact.
Either way he scored very important goals that ensured CL qualification, his goal v Celta Vigo saved us fom a second year without CL football. Winner v Palace.

He scored v City, v Spurs, v Arsenal. His efforts led to a last minute goal v Chelsea and Rooney's v Liverpool too. Doubt there has been a player involved in more important goals than Marouane in his time at the club. Snip.

stevoc

I'm not sure about the "model pro, gave it his all" stuff. A lot of the criticism early on was about his lack of discipline in a holding role - he would frequently lose runners and jog back when a sprint was needed - which is why he improved only when LvG and then Jose played him further forward.
I felt he could have been more conscientious defensively when asked to play in a two, especially for someone with such obvious talent limitations.

To be fair he's never really been suited to the holding role, doesn't have the mobility or the discipline as you say. Even in a 2 man midfield he would often struggle because of his lack of discipline leaving his partner exposed and his passing range.

All his best football at club level at Everton and United has been further forward, thats where he's best utilized. He's much better as the 3rd man in a midfield 3 to break up play higher up the pitch or in a free target man role behind the striker.

Roboc7

Either way he scored very important goals that ensured CL qualification, his goal v Celta Vigo saved us fom a second year without CL football. Winner v Palace.

He scored v City, v Spurs, v Arsenal. His efforts led to a last minute goal v Chelsea and Rooney's v Liverpool too. Doubt there has been a player involved in more important goals than Marouane in his time at the club. Snip.
To be considered a good buy you need to perform consistently, 2 premier league assists and 12 goals for someone who is supposed to be such a big threat to the opposition is really poor over 5 and a half seasons.

A poor signing and limited player who did his best and did at least produce some highlights. But that 27.5m could have been much better spent and at the time was about 10m more than he was worth.

Frank Grimes

To be considered a good buy you need to perform consistently, 2 premier league assists and 12 goals for someone who is supposed to be such a big threat to the opposition is really poor over 5 and a half seasons.

A poor signing and limited player who did his best and did at least produce some highlights. But that 27.5m could have been much better spent and at the time was about 10m more than he was worth.
I don't think you understand the point of this thread. It's not difficult.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Good Twitter thread on all the times Fellaini “saved us”. More than you’d think.
I do recall a lot of those winners/last minute goals from him... him having hands built into his chest was very useful for a period too.

If you had the best crosser in the world in your team he'd score about 20 goals a season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's nice to have that relief of seeing a Fellaini thread on RedCafe and it not being a performance thread anymore.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I do recall a lot of those winners/last minute goals from him... him having hands built into his chest was very useful for a period too.

If you had the best crosser in the world in your team he'd score about 20 goals a season.
We did (Baines) and he got 12 in 36 games. I think with more cup appearances and him playing behind the striker in every game he could get very close to 20.

crossy1686

career ending
I’d actually love to hear Fellani’s thoughts on his time at United. I was never a fan but I felt sorry for him when he became the fans focal point of abuse for being Moyes personified

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So many moments in that twitter thread. He also scored first goal vs Spurs in that 3-0 win and also in few games he played well without scoring or assisting like vs Madrid in UEFA super cup.

b82REZ

Unfortunately he became the symbol of the all the bad stuff yhe club has experienced since Fergie retired. He basically embodied the Moyes reign which blinded a lot of fans of what he did well.
Because he was gangly and ungraceful he soured people on him before he even kicked a ball for us.

It got to the point he was criticised before a performance and that manifested to crowds booing him if he was brought on. I always liked him even if he wasn't the typical United player. Always gave his all and often in the face of real negativity and toxicity from his own supporters.

Siorac

The definition of 'saving United' gets stretched to breaking point in that tweet with things like 'scored a goal against Preston North End'.

Flying_Heckfish

The definition of 'saving United' gets stretched to breaking point in that tweet with things like 'scored a goal against Preston North End'.
He looked a decent player at Everton who I thought may be able to step up. My recollection is probably coloured by that game vs. us where we made him look like prime Yaya, though.

In reality he was at times static passenger, never really up to the level required.

He had a can-do attitude, but he was just as likely to use that pent-up energy elbowing someone in the face as he was to 'save us' with a vital goal.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
First of all, I feel like I shouldn’t need to clarify this, but can we please keep ANY negative comments out of this thread. There’s lots of the forum for that.

Here's an old thread I did that I just enjoyed going back through.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rafaels-best-moments.407537/

I would like to do this for a few players who leave us. Just thinking of how they helped us.

I always liked this goal. It summed up our Marouane. It was surprisingly technical, but just looked awkward.

Fellaini made 106 full appearances, was a sub 71 times and scored 22 goals for United over his career here. He made more league appearances for the club than Rafael, Paul Ince and Berbatov. He is roughly twenty league appearances behind Evans and Park. He scored more Premier League goals for the club than Forlan, Bruce, O'Shea and is currently level with Herrera and Smalling.

What are your fondest memories?
Ince made 206 league apps. You forgot to count games pre the premier league.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He looked a decent player at Everton who I thought may be able to step up. My recollection is probably coloured by that game vs. us where we made him look like prime Yaya, though.

In reality he was at times static passenger, never really up to the level required.

He had a can-do attitude, but he was just as likely to use that pent-up energy elbowing someone in the face as he was to 'save us' with a vital goal.
He fit the system that Moyes wanted at Everton with a lot going through him. He dominated the latter stages of the 4-4 at Old Trafford which probably convinced the powers that be that he could do a similar job. However we never played the Everton way and it became trying to fit a square peg into a round hole IMO

acnumber9

He was kind of benefitting from the fact that our sole tactic toward the end of games was to toss the ball on his stupid head. How many more could we have scored if we’d just tried to play some decent attacking football? Or had a midfielder who could pass the ball instead?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Him and Mata were one of the few non-LvG purchases who looked consistently solid under him in his 4-1-4-1 system.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why we persisted as using him as a central midfielder just confuses me so much.

I think that sums up why we've been a failure of a club over the last 6-7 years, we've neglected midfield and used it to get the ball forward as soon as possible and have no control on a match.

Fellaini always worked his hardest and never let the side down, and he did chip in with some clutch moments.

If we'd have set the team up with proper wingers and crossed the ball regularly he would have been a threat, but we tried to move to a more possession based team which just didn't suit his strengths.

Overall I have no bad memories of him, give me a player like Fellaini over wimps like Sanchez all day.

CG1010

Good thread. Its not his fault that for years managers essentially built a team around him! He was a good performer for us given his limitations. And he had a knack of scoring really important goals for us..

Shark

@NotShark
I'd still rather have him here over Jesse Lingard. Far more effective player and was never obnoxious on social media or anything, just got on with his job when needed.

LDUred

If you could have surgically transplanted the talent in Fellaini's chest onto his feet then he would have been a Lionel Messi.

Seriously though, he was a decent player for us. Thought he got an unfair amount of criticism and actually did an alright job.

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I dont know why, but looking back I feel quite fond of him, probably wouldn't if he still played here though!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As I've said before, if we had a stronger team allowing Fellaini to be used as an impact player he would likely have gone on to be a bit of a cult hero for us. But because the team was shit and we ended up relying on him to be a constant starter in central midfield (something he was never good enough to be) he became the symbol for what was going wrong. He was a limited player that was able to be hugely influential when he could focus on doing one main job (whether that was an offensive role or defensive) but he didn't have the all-round game to be a regular starter, especially in central midfield.

KeanoMagicHat

It always annoyed me when other team fans criticised us for playing it long to Fellaini at the end of games, he’s a wrecking ball in the air it was a good tactic, you don’t need to be purer than pure all the time. Fellaini could be very good with a particular job to do but for a top team you’d want him to be 4th or 5th best midfielder in the team at best because the rest of his game wasn’t up to scratch.

lsd

The Oracle
Always liked Fellaini he had a great attitude and would have have ran through a brick wall for the club .

Not sure why some fans seem to think we should have a team of 11 superstar players who only play with flair and do countless back heels and flicks .

He also was not useless in the skills department either and can play the game .

I will remember him as a decent United player who always gave his all .

Jay Landsman could have been talking about Fellaini

jackal&hyde

For me he was one of those players that you could never criticize in terms of dedication, unlike much more talented players like Sanchez. He is there with Jones, Smalling, Young at full back, Lingard and Pereira. All of them always did their best and deserve to be respected. The problem was that none of them should have played for the club for to long. Mediocre players expected to be great. The managers at the time deserve the harsh words, not the players.

Paul_Scholes18

Him and Mata were one of the few non-LvG purchases who looked consistently solid under him in his 4-1-4-1 system.
Don't know why he did abandon that formation. Herrera and Fellaini played really well in it with Carrick pulling the strings.
I thought he would just add Depay and Martial to that formation eventually, but it did not happen much before it was too late.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Good thread. Its not his fault that for years managers essentially built a team around him! He was a good performer for us given his limitations. And he had a knack of scoring really important goals for us..
Nothing was built around him. He was a bad midfielder in a poor team that resorted to hoofing for the last 10 minutes because they couldn't break down defenses. You speak of him like he was here a couple of seasons like Lukaku or Sanchez. He was here for 5 and a half seasons and he had a handful of good games.

There's what, one winner there? A goal in a 4-2 win. A goal in a 3-1 win. A goal after 90 minutes in a 3-1 win against Club Brugge, a tie we won 7-1 in total. This twitter thread is clutching straws.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
This might sound harsh on Fellaini, it’s not really his fault, more LVG and Mourinho’s - but I seem to remember many more times when he was thrown on to rescue us and it just didn’t work, and we ended the match looking even more amateurish than before.