Fergie bottled it

Name Changed

weso26
Berbatov rarely got the ball and when he did he rarely wasted it, Rooney had the similar problem but wasted any chance he got. Also Berba-Hernandez have looked good together this season so trying to forge a Rooney-Hernandez partnership when we needed a goal seemed odd, and it didnt work as he was shafted out wide and Giggs went up front with Hernandez.
Berbatov wasn't in the game at all which is probably why he was subbed. Rooney wasn't playing well, but he was in the game.

As I said, it was a toss of a coin to be who should have been subbed.

OneUnited24

Berbatov wasn't in the game at all which is probably why he was subbed. Rooney wasn't playing well, but he was in the game.

As I said, it was a toss of a coin to be who should have been subbed.
Yeah thats what i thought i said, both lacked service but Berbatov looked good with the little time he had with the ball the same could not be said about Rooney. I agree it could have been one or the other who went off but for me it should have been Rooney. I mean when Berba went off we really didnt produce anything, now i cant say had Rooney gone off we would have won but in previous games Berba-Hernandez has worked so why not give it another go with us needing a goal?

jazza13

Berba was miles better than Rooney. Rooney kept losing the ball.. His link up play was poor today. Even when Hernandez came on, he didn't touch the ball for the first 15 minutes or something. It was a shite performance all round. Bollocks to be blaming Fergie for the change, but with the benefit of hindsight, it was a poor decision.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No manager of a table topping Manchester United manager should be left scrabbling with strategic substitutions to defeat a bottom of the table side. We had the personael on the filed who were equipped with the skills, experiences and game plan to win such a match.

That we lost is solely the responsibility of our players.

Im sure they will soon remedy the mistakes that were made. But lay off SAF FFS. You just look like a know nothing fool.

Shimo

I expected Fletch to come off, Giggs through the middle, Rooney right, Nani left and Berba dropping deep considering we needed a goal.

Wasn't fond of the decision at the time but wouldn't call it bottling it. Just did not pay off.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Taking off berba - been playing Rooney who is utter shite due to his high profile - if we'd had berba and hernandez we would have a much better chance through his creativity and hernandez's speed - how much longer can the drain at the moment that is Rooney be playing so much for united ?
Jerk my knee and feck me dry - you know I'm right
I'm not sure how taking off our top scorer is bottling it - that was a big decision.

Might've been the wrong one but it wasn't a cop-out.

Roger

To be honest we have been riding our luck away from home, an accident waiting to happen. And this was it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I wouldn't say 'bottle', but I certainly was a bit confused with our changes. Fletcher was playing very bad and Berbatov also looked a lot better than Rooney. Why take Carrick and Berbatov off when we're expected to push all through the second half? Can't see it myself.
:lol: why take Carrick off? Are you serious? Carrick was fecking shit today.

Brophs

The One and Only
Berba couldn't get in the game and Rooney's more versatile, which allowed us to swap a few players around. It was a toss up between them as they were both shite.

B Cantona

Desperate
Nothing wrong with the decisions in my opinion. He's taken Berbatov off before for Hernandez and its worked a treat

No one could have had any grounds for complaint being hooked today

Jaap

Rooney's performance today was abysmal - away from home, he looks a different player. One that lacks confidence, cutting edge, the will to take on players. I have said it before: some players thrive on the booing they receive and yet some literally shrink under those circumstances.

United78

Did it matter -- we were never going to win -- they were both terrible. Also was Fergie forced into subbing Evans? Would he have put Owen on for Rooney -- given the choice?

Amir

Rooney's performance today was abysmal - away from home, he looks a different player. One that lacks confidence, cutting edge, the will to take on players. I have said it before: some players thrive on the booing they receive and yet some literally shrink under those circumstances.
Unfortunately the same thing could be said about most of out players this season. Not nearly the same away from home.

RedRover

I don't really agree.

Berbatov was as poor as Rooney and really wasn't in the game at all. It was a coin toss as to who to take off. Either Rooney or Berbatov being subbed would not have been a surprise.
But surely given Berabtov's form this season you leave on the more confident player?

Rooney has been abject this season. He needs to find some form, quickly.

kf

what is it on here.
Thread blaming the ref , now this blaming SAF.
We played shit , very shit get over it.
This. Sir Alex could have taken the whole fecking lot of them off, he was spoilt for choice

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
I don't really agree.

Berbatov was as poor as Rooney and really wasn't in the game at all. It was a coin toss as to who to take off. Either Rooney or Berbatov being subbed would not have been a surprise.
I would agree it was a coin toss who to take off.

I would guess the reason Fergie left Rooney on was the fact he scored twice in his last game.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Taking off berba - been playing Rooney who is utter shite due to his high profile - if we'd had berba and hernandez we would have a much better chance through his creativity and hernandez's speed - how much longer can the drain at the moment that is Rooney be playing so much for united ?
Berbatov had had fewer touches of the ball than any other player when he came off.

Knee jerk is the last of your worries on this one.

Sir A1ex

I'm sure Chutney was deliberately provocative, but the "bottled it" line is silly. "Got it wrong", maybe, but I hardly think he was sat there shitting himself thinking "I want to take Rooney off, but I daren't, I'm scared of him" - especially seeing as he did exactly that at Blackpool.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He didn't "bottle" anything - both were similarly average on the day and either could have been taken off.

I don't see the need for the Fergie fecked up sentiment - it's nigh on impossible to go through a season without having poor results. Sometimes, despite the manager's best efforts, it's just not going to click on the pitch.

Shit happens, move onto the next game.

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
Why do people still second-guess Fergie.

95% of the time he gets it more or less spot on.

One time he comes up short and he's bottled it? :houllier:
And yet because he has such a great history and obviously is a great manager were not aloud to point out mistakes? Its a discussion and thats my opinion ya'll need to calm down.

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
Does anyone know who "redwall" is , Im guessing he's a newbie but here's his view expressed in the form of a pm to myself.

"youre the bottler

you clueless piece of shit, go support someone else, prick."

:lol:

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
It's just phrased stupidly. He bottled it?

Implies he doesn't have the bottle to make the right decisions.
I'm implying he bottled the decision of not taking Rooney off due to his high profile and past form - its obvious he's been awful this season.

Berbatov should have stayed, all I'm saying.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
What did he 'bottle' exactly?

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
Why else would you leave rooney on over berbatov ?

Rooney was playing worse than berbatov

Berbatov has stepped it up massively this season

Berbatov would have definitely contributed more to the game through his skill and link up play, where as rooney ran around trying to ping 40 yard balls out to the wings as usual.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Why else would you leave rooney on over berbatov ?

Rooney was playing worse than berbatov

Berbatov has stepped it up massively this season

Berbatov would have definitely contributed more to the game through his skill and link up play, where as rooney ran around trying to ping 40 yard balls out to the wings as usual.
None of that explains why he 'bottled' it.

Ixion

Rooney probably should have been the one to go off but I doubt it would have made any difference, the entire team was shit from start to finish.

SATA

Wrong decision of the substitution no doubt

But Fergie bottling it? Nah he's too good and far experienced for that

mufcwarm92

He's saying he didn't have the balls to take of Rooney. I agree that it was the wrong decision to take of Berba rather than Rooney but you can hardly accuse Fergie of 'bottling it'.

Tonjo

Tactically, Rooney should be switch to central midfield as he has lost his striker instinct against Wolves. Bringing Scholes in was wrong against a hard running Wolves midfield.
Using Henandez earlier or Owens would have given United a better chance. Wayne Rooney has become more of an attacking midfielder than a striker. I think that this should be his best position long term and United do not need to spend a fortune in bring another in the summer. Also, playing against teams which pump the ball very offen in the air, the taller and strong Chris Smalling should be given priority.