Fergie's next four top targets

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not as winger. Dont' miss understand me. I'm not saying Giggs is finished. I'm just saying he no longer has the legs to be consistently good in that role on the wing. That is why it's not surprising some of his best games in the last 2 seasons have actually been in the hole or in center midfield. The Roma game being a prime example. & The win at Villa Park in the league earlier this year. In a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 as one of 3 CM's he'd be excellent. But as a winger he clearly isn't as effective as he can be anymore

As I said, we shall see.
Our team do not need another central midfielder because we are already well stocked in that position. In my opinion Giggsie will still be considered as a winger with the only difference that his role will change and he will become what Nani was during this season ie a quality reserve. I wont be surprised that season 2008 - 2009 will be Giggsie's last season. By that time we would have already assessed our present talent, spread out our scouting net and be in a position to decide what we should do.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Our team do not need another central midfielder because we are already well stocked in that position..
It not a case of needing. Or adding. That is simply what Giggs is becoming. That is where he will be most effective for the benefit of the team.

In my opinion Giggsie will still be considered as a winger with the only difference that his role will change and he will become what Nani was during this season ie a quality reserve.
In my opinion he wont. He clearly no longer has the legs for a wing role. & If we permanently go 4-3-3 next season, like is looking the case, he wont be a back up winger any more. He will instead be one of the 3 back ups to our 3 starting midfielders.

I wont be surprised that season 2008 - 2009 will be Giggsie's last season. By that time we would have already assessed our present talent, spread out our scouting net and be in a position to decide what we should do.
What we should do is already clear. It's a matter of Fergie just doing it. Giggs the winger will soon be no more. Giggs the central playmaker is slowly but surely replacing him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I have to disagree with you on this mate. Even if we implement the 4 - 3 - 3 system then I believe that Rooney will take the left wing role, with Ronaldo on the right and a scorer (Benzema type) upfront. Central midfield is already congested as it is, with players like Scholes, Anderson, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Carrick and Possenbon. I doubt that SAF would ever play 4 - 3 - 3 with both Scholes (next season he will be 34) and Giggs (35). That would be pure madness.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I have to disagree with you on this mate. Even if we implement the 4 - 3 - 3 system then I believe that Rooney will take the left wing role, with Ronaldo on the right and a scorer (Benzema type) upfront. Central midfield is already congested as it is, with players like Scholes, Anderson, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Carrick and Possenbon. I doubt that SAF would ever play 4 - 3 - 3 with both Scholes (next season he will be 34) and Giggs (35). That would be pure madness.
I agree with the last bit. We shall see what he will do. I personally see Scholes and Giggs sharing a role. Because if we bought a Benzema type and played 4-3-3 there is no way a 35 year old Giggs would bench Tevez, Park or Nani as back ups to Rooney and Ronaldo. & as you said playing him together with Scholes would be crazy

lynchie

I may have misunderstood, but are you saying Possebon would be picked ahead of Ryan Giggs in central midfield???

Drifter

American
Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan won't block a move to Manchester United for their star midfield pair Wilson Palacios and Luis Antonio Valencia.

"It really is difficult when a club like United are circling," he told the Daily Mail. "Sir Alex doesn't mess about. He just comes and bangs on your door and says, 'I'd like to buy that player and we'll give you so much'.

"If he does that for Valencia or Palacios, how am I going to stop them? I think they'd be better off continuing their development here for another season or so but I couldn't sleep at night if I simply blocked it. Mind you, they won't come cheap."