Fergie's next four top targets

Cold_Boy

:lol::lol:@ The Sun.

Fcking hell they couldn't even make up a believable story.

Palacios,Valencia?Are you fcking crazy?

VoetbalWizard

i wish the veloso rumours would go away. we have the likes of hargreaves and fletch, along with possebon in the reserves. and i don't want to buy him for defense. we can buy outright defenders for that.

moutinho is quality, i can see why we would purchase him, if fergie things long term that he wants to keep anderson an all action robson-esque midfielder, instead of taking over scholes.

zarate is miles quicker than than tevez and is more two footed. I rate him, but not enough to have him AND tevez as strikers.

valencia is not bad and would be cheap winger cover, which i've stated would be where fergie might look towards AFTER striker and RB..a young winger under 5 million quid.

palacios 6 million no thanks.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Stopped reading when I say that we "splashed out 80million" last year :lol:

Wouldnt be surprised if we picked up one of the 4 though..

Red17

Veloso also plays at CB right? And a left footed one at that... Brown's probably off. Pique might be too seeing that his contract will be up next summer and with plenty of Spanish interest + his reluctance to sign an extension....this summer maybe the best time to cash in. Silvestre's contract is also up next summer but I think he may get yet another contract from United seeing our need for competition at LB + cover at CB. Evra likewise will finish his contract next summer unless he comes to an agreement with the club before. So a 22 yo left footed defensive midfielder who grew up playing CB and has filled in that position for Sporting may not be such a far fetch possibility. Furthermore, we all know how Fergie loves versatility in his players.

kanchelskis14

Probably just players we are running the rule over, i doubt Fergie intends to pick up four midfielders this summer!

That said, i've always wondered why Valencia was at Wigan, he was the best right-winger in the World Cup while he was in it i reckon.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Exactly. Midfield is the biggest strength of the squad right now.
Take out Giggs & Scholes and we're left with ...

Ronaldo, Nani, Park, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher ...

actually thats still very strong with loads of depth!!

We need a quailty striker ... and his name is Benzema

Ekeke

Well, Veloso could be used as a left sided Hargreaves... But Anderson really should be capable of that.

Anderson - Carrick - Hargreaves = very solid, with Fletcher to compete for a place when he gets fit.

We have Jonny Evans who is a left footed CB so its not really a big deal... Moutinho + Anderson in the middle would be very interesting. Anderson is very physical and will only get more so in the next few years. Moutinho is tiny and quite light defensively, but so has Scholes been all these years - I dont think that would put SAF off him at all.

And I rate Valencia enough to have him in the squad, behind Park, Nani and Ronaldo in terms of pecking order to start off with till he shows he has what it takes at United. But where this would leave Giggs I'm not sure. Left back ? :D - I actually think he could play there, as cover for Evra...

Red17

Jonny Evans is right footed but has a half-decent left foot.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Can Moutinho tackle and does he care about defensive side of the game? I don't want no lightweight midfielder that wants no part in the defensive side of the game, we've already seen how crap Veron was at it. Scholes does his share as much as he can.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Veloso will be good, covering for both OH and Vidic/Rio.

Scholes will be history. Sorry, he's not getting any younger, and age is not something you can negotiate with.

That will leave our Mid with OH / Carrick and...??? I think Moutinho will fit the bill. We need more than 2 incase any of them got injured.

Also, even in the case neville make it back, same with Scholes, he's not getting any younger.

4 for the future.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Anderson, Fletcher.
Fletcher... well.. He's a squad player... at his age he won't be magically turn into something else.

Anderson.. ah... I admit I forgot about him, but I do think Fergie got something else in mind for him.

I dunno, but I believe Fergie knows best. Maybe he'll offload some? you'll never know.

4 contender for 2 spot + rotation + injury is not too much.

Besides, better plan ahead. Our legends won't last forever

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well, Veloso could be used as a left sided Hargreaves... But Anderson really should be capable of that.

Anderson - Carrick - Hargreaves = very solid, with Fletcher to compete for a place when he gets fit.

We have Jonny Evans who is a left footed CB so its not really a big deal... Moutinho + Anderson in the middle would be very interesting. Anderson is very physical and will only get more so in the next few years. Moutinho is tiny and quite light defensively, but so has Scholes been all these years - I dont think that would put SAF off him at all.

And I rate Valencia enough to have him in the squad, behind Park, Nani and Ronaldo in terms of pecking order to start off with till he shows he has what it takes at United. But where this would leave Giggs I'm not sure. Left back ? :D - I actually think he could play there, as cover for Evra...
er... Giggs won't last forever mind you.

Next season he won't even be playing the odd 36 games. Wizard he might be, but even wizards are human.

Paddy

paddyf091
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3436298,00.html

Steve Bruce making more of this story than there is. Two midtable midfielders with the amount we have already is unlikely.

Old Trafford No 2 Carlos Queiroz has been on scouting missions over the last few weeks to run the rule over all four players.

Before his trip to Lisbon Queiroz watched Wigan’s game with Birmingham where £6m-rated midfielder Palacios, 23, and £4m winger Valencia, 22, starred in a 2-0 win.
Surely he was watching them because we have yet to play them in the league? That would make a lot more sense.

Brophs

The One and Only
They seem like okay players(The Wigan lads), but are we really any better than what we have already? Not for me on what I've seen so far anyway...

Jacob

I can only see us buying Veloso as RB/CB.

And hopefully a young striker.

Ecroyd

Strangely aroused by Lizard King
Well Hargreaves is going because he's shit, Scholes is practically in a zimmer frame, Giggs is crap and always has been, most overrated player in United history, Park's just not very good at football so it's possible...
you mate are a twat

KanieKaned

Well Hargreaves is going because he's shit, Scholes is practically in a zimmer frame, Giggs is crap and always has been, most overrated player in United history, Park's just not very good at football so it's possible...
Bollocks

Hargreaves - Plenty to offer whether it be screening the back four, filling in at right back or even winning matches thanks to his free kick ability. Adds a a bit of feist into the midfield aswel as he is quite mobile.

Scholes - Still juice left in his tank he's a maestro I dont need to say anymore.

Giggs - yes the legs are gone and he is declining quicker than expected but he is one of the greatest players to have played for this club. Fantastic Servant and a Legend in his own right. Can still pukll the odd masterclass out of the bag.

Park - Fantastic squad player tons of running - wont score alot in a season but his impact from the bench can be fantastic as proven in the last two matches he came off the bench.

Numpty

cloud218

After a couple of years, he'll eventually retire. With all these buys of youngsters, the only thing I can think of is him getting ready to retire, but trying to his best to keep the team in it's best shape before reitiring.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
moutinho is quality, i can see why we would purchase him, if fergie things long term that he wants to keep anderson an all action robson-esque midfielder, instead of taking over scholes
That's a good point.

Ekeke

Fletcher... well.. He's a squad player... at his age he won't be magically turn into something else.

Anderson.. ah... I admit I forgot about him, but I do think Fergie got something else in mind for him.

I dunno, but I believe Fergie knows best. Maybe he'll offload some? you'll never know.

4 contender for 2 spot + rotation + injury is not too much.

Besides, better plan ahead. Our legends won't last forever
All our midfielders are squad players.

And sometimes its 3 spots, we've played 3 in the middle multiple times this season.

Gazza

Before his trip to Lisbon Queiroz watched Wigan’s game with Birmingham where £6m-rated midfielder Palacios, 23, and £4m winger Valencia, 22, starred in a 2-0 win.
Now that is strange, especially since we don't have any matches coming up against Birmingham or Wigan in the near future.... hang on a minute!

Canuckred64

All four of those players are midfielders and as a lot of people have pointed out that's one of the strongest areas of the team. Do we need four more midfielders?

I have heard commentators and reporters talk about Ronaldo's future as a out and out striker. One even said that 5 years from now, people will shake their head at the thought of him playing anywhere else but as a striker. I have read other stories that say that Ferguson has to keep challenging Ronaldo to keep him happy and maybe turning him into a striker is one way of keeping things fresh.

Maybe if Ronaldo is going to be played as a striker next year, that could explain why we are being linked to all these midfielders instead of strikers?

I don't know, I like him as an attacking winger, switching sides and having a free reign out there, he may be more restricted as an out and out striker.

Any thoughts?

Paddy

paddyf091
Now that is strange, especially since we don't have any matches coming up against Birmingham or Wigan in the near future.... hang on a minute!
It seems blindingly obvious, unless of course you write for a rag like the sun where bullshitting to sell papers is second nature.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Where is our transfer expert Eshanul??

Can someone give us a low down on the portuguese players linked to us...

ch7

Heres my opinion on the players based in Portuguese football linked with us.

Bosingwa (Porto) - Has had an amazing season and has confirmed himself as Portugals first choice right back ahead of Miguel. Many in Portugal feel he has been one of the top 3 right backs in Europe this season,the challenge for him now is to maintain the high standards he has attained for a few more years.
I'd be more than pleased if he came to United as he can defend, has wonderful crossing ability, fast, athletic and runs like a gazelle on the pitch. Now 25 if he doesn't join us he'll play for another major club he's that good in my opinion. Evra and Bosingwa = :drool:

Joao Moutinho (Sporting) - Naturally a number 10 but has been playing wider this season. Captain at a young age this season he has played for the team a lot more by tracking back and getting more stuck in but I feel this has hampered him showcasing his creative talents. Very adept at short passing and has a good shot but doesn't show it enough in my opinion. More of an Arsenal type player who have also been linked with Moutinho in the past. I'm not a massive fan, he has a big heart and is talented but I can't really see him joining United.

Miguel Veloso (Sporting) - Can play CB,LB,CM and he has played LM where he has put in some Beckham standard crosses with his left foot. He has a wonderful range of passing and rarely gives the ball away. Good delivery from set pieces as well. Has been questioned about his positional sense but this should improve with age, also been worries that he enjoys the nightlife too much and is more concerned with his modelling career than his football career but I don't buy this. I think as he gets older he will become a fantastic player.

Bruno Perreirinha (Sporting) - Broke through this season and has shown glimpses of talent. Should be given another season before we really judge I think. Some thought Yannick Djalo was going to have an impact as well but he has been hampered by injuries.

I'm surprised we're being linked with midfielders given the numbers United have in those positions. However I wouldn't sniff at the signing of Veloso given his versatility (some journalists in Portugal even believe this deal has already been done). People on the Cafe tend to prefer Lahm to Bosingwa, both fantastic players and I wouldn't mind either of them!

Anduin

Care to name any left footed right backs?
I can't or at least I would have to look them up to be honest, but I guess at top class level something like that is the exception to the rule. Just wanted to point out that it does not really matter if you're right or left-footed, all depends on the way you're playing (Lahm's movement is also different to most traditional full-backs, he loves to run deeper in the pitch rather than stay out at the line and put in crosses)

VoetbalWizard

Heres my opinion on the players based in Portuguese football linked with us.

Bosingwa (Porto) - Has had an amazing season and has confirmed himself as Portugals first choice right back ahead of Miguel. Many in Portugal feel he has been one of the top 3 right backs in Europe this season,the challenge for him now is to maintain the high standards he has attained for a few more years.
I'd be more than pleased if he came to United as he can defend, has wonderful crossing ability, fast, athletic and runs like a gazelle on the pitch. Now 25 if he doesn't join us he'll play for another major club he's that good in my opinion. Evra and Bosingwa = :drool:

Joao Moutinho (Sporting) - Naturally a number 10 but has been playing wider this season. Captain at a young age this season he has played for the team a lot more by tracking back and getting more stuck in but I feel this has hampered him showcasing his creative talents. Very adept at short passing and has a good shot but doesn't show it enough in my opinion. More of an Arsenal type player who have also been linked with Moutinho in the past. I'm not a massive fan, he has a big heart and is talented but I can't really see him joining United.

Miguel Veloso (Sporting) - Can play CB,LB,CM and he has played LM where he has put in some Beckham standard crosses with his left foot. He has a wonderful range of passing and rarely gives the ball away. Good delivery from set pieces as well. Has been questioned about his positional sense but this should improve with age, also been worries that he enjoys the nightlife too much and is more concerned with his modelling career than his football career but I don't buy this. I think as he gets older he will become a fantastic player.

Bruno Perreirinha (Sporting) - Broke through this season and has shown glimpses of talent. Should be given another season before we really judge I think. Some thought Yannick Djalo was going to have an impact as well but he has been hampered by injuries.

I'm surprised we're being linked with midfielders given the numbers United have in those positions. However I wouldn't sniff at the signing of Veloso given his versatility (some journalists in Portugal even believe this deal has already been done). People on the Cafe tend to prefer Lahm to Bosingwa, both fantastic players and I wouldn't mind either of them!
if anderson is moved permanently into central midfield, due to his all action style and energy, i could see him being a top target as a pure scholes replacement. I haven't watched him much this season, but in prior years he seemed to me to be a perfect scholes replacement. for all the wanking on scouse forums about modric, i think moutinho is just as good if not better.

with veloso, i still can't see his value at 15 million or more, with fletch, hargreaves, carrick, o'shea, pique, etc. i mean, if we sign him, we'll have to sell fletch and pique and he still wouldn't get much playing time. he will need games week in week out to develop.