Fergie's next four top targets

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Young duo to join Ronaldo and Nani at Old Trafford?
Sporting fans will be worried at news emanating from England, however, as rumours linking Miguel Veloso to a move to Manchester United gather pace. The stylish defensive midfielder has constantly been touted as the next young Portuguese star to make a big-money move abroad, with the Red Devils thought to be front-runners to capture his signature.

According to British newspaper The Sun, both Joao Moutinho and Veloso have been pencilled in by Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz as priorities for next season, with the English giants ready to offer 37m euros for the two players.

Sporting have been sending out mixed messages about their desire to hold on to their talented young stars. Both players have 30m buyout clauses written into their contracts and club president, Soares Franco, insists the Lisbon outfit are following a long-term strategy to build a team that can compete in Europe as well as domestically– which involves keeping hold of the best young players.

The board backed up the president’s words by offering Miguel Veloso a deal that will bring him into line with the club’s highest paid players, Moutinho and Liedson, in an effort to keep him at the Alvalade.

Nevertheless, coach Paulo Bento only last week admitted that “I have to be prepared to lose one or two players that I don’t want to lose for next season.” Watch this space.
From Portuguese football site..

Ballache

Supports
Martial
wouldn't surprise me if it happened, but i reckon it would be the end for either Fletcher or O'Shea

oleonenumber20

do we really need Veloso? he plays DM right? we have carrick/ Hargreaves/Fletch there already. We also have Possebon coming through the reserves, he looks class.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Not seen anywhere near enough of Moutinho or Veloso to be able to comment. My initial reaction is to say that we don't need any more midfield players!

Palacios has looked an impressive player to me. He looks a beast physically, but I would question his ability to fit in at United technically and tactically.

Valencia is a player I have been impressed with all season. He has all the attibutes required of a top class winger: blistering pace, trickery and a great shot. He needs to become more consistent though.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Unless we are planning to sell Carrick, Fletcher and Scholes is retiring, we won't be buying any new MFs in next two seasons.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
These reports of us wanting Veloso and Moutinho - do they all originate from that article in The Sun?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Because Sporting played with 4 players? Talented side.
Well not, but we are basically purchasing all of their most important players. We are obviously not interested in the likes of Anderson Polga or Liedson (who happens to be a decent striker nonetheless), but as soon as a young star emerges there we are in for him immediately.

That's what he meant. We are taking their most influential players.

Anduin

As long as the players we are buying from Portuguese top clubs are on skill level with Ronaldo, Nani or Anderson, I'd take them in a heartbeat. I haven't seen that much of Veloso, but most of what I've seen, read and heard sounds pretty convincing. Young and talented versatile players are useful to every team and right now we do not know what's going to happen in the summer with the likes of Silvestre, Fletcher or Pique.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We need two strikers and that's all

Oh and the pair from Wigan...... :lol:

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Why would we need a winger?

It's not like Ronaldo and Nani are closer to ending their careers.
We need 4 wingers in the team. Next season Giggs will be too old to be useful on the flank. Leaving us with only Ronaldo, Nani and Park. Plus Eagles who SAF clearly has no faith in. Thus getting a 4th winger wouldn't be a bad idea even though it is not as urgent a need as a striker with good finishing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need 4 wingers in the team. Next season Giggs will be too old to be useful on the flank. Leaving us with only Ronaldo, Nani and Park. Plus Eagles who SAF clearly has no faith in. Thus getting a 4th winger wouldn't be a bad idea Even though it is not as urgent a need as a striker with good finishing.
Giggs will not play as much as he did this season but he would still be able to do the job. I have a feeling that one of the Silva brothers will be groomed to act as Nani's cover once the Welsh wizard retires.

Giggs will not play as much as he did this season but he would still be able to do the job.
I strongly disagree. He is clearly losing legs rapidly currently. IMO he would be far better used in the hole behind three fast forwards. That I why I feel we might need extra cover for Nani and Ronaldo than just Park alone.

I have a feeling that one of the Silva brothers will be groomed to act as Nani's cover once the Welsh wizard retires.
Personally I doubt it. But we shall see.

Vinay

Muppet in Training
Goalkeepers:

Foster, Kuszczak, Heaton (van der Sar as coach, I understand)
No sorting required in this department

Centre-Backs:
Ferdinand, Vidic, Pique, Evans, Brown, Silvestre, O'Shea

Right Full-Back:
Neville, Brown, Rafael, Simpson, O'Shea, Hargreaves

Left Full-Back:
Evra, Silvestre, Fabio, O'Shea

Central midfield:
Hargreaves, Anderson, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, O'Shea

Wingers:
Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani, Park, Eagles, Evra, Hargreaves

Strikers:
Saha, Rooney, Tevez, Manucho, Frazier-Campbell
Only department, where I'd envisage a change for Saha. An additional striker a la Viduka/Klose would be quite nice, I feel...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I would be happy with Benzema if that's all we got in the summer
I'd pretty much agree. Now that Brown has re-signed, I'd have no problem simply putting our entire transfer kitty out there for Benzema. If we sign him great, if not then use that money to sign Lahm (if he doesn't sign a new contract with Bayern) and Berbatov. Although I reckon one of the reasons Brown signed was because we told him we wouldn't be signing a new rightback, hence it'd be between him and Gaz. But I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least see if Lahm was interested.

Vinay

Muppet in Training
That's about as stupid as the sun suggesting we're after Valencia and Palacios
O yeah?

Why not think in terms of the fact that they are great 'foxes' in the box, excellent finishing ability on crosses (which we have the ability to put in aplenty). We'd be relying a little less on Ronaldo to get on the end of those, or provide even more possibilities for Ronaldo to be left open on crosses...

And then why not think in terms of the additional bonus that we could get such players for short contracts, short-term deals, that would not compromise too much the possibility of our young strikers to make it in our team. Frazier-Campbell is seemingly very promising along with some other youngsters we have...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
O yeah?

Why not think in terms of the fact that they are great 'foxes' in the box, excellent finishing ability on crosses (which we have the ability to put in aplenty). We'd be relying a little less on Ronaldo to get on the end of those, or provide even more possibilities for Ronaldo to be left open on crosses...

And then why not think in terms of the additional bonus that we could get such players for short contracts, short-term deals, that would not compromise too much the possibility of our young strikers to make it in our team. Frazier-Campbell is seemingly very promising along with some other youngsters we have...
Have you seen Viduka this season? Well past his best.

As for Klose he only joined Bayern last summer and he's highly overrated.

Oh and Frazier Campbell has zero chance of making it at UTD.

Sarni

We need 4 wingers in the team. Next season Giggs will be too old to be useful on the flank. Leaving us with only Ronaldo, Nani and Park. Plus Eagles who SAF clearly has no faith in. Thus getting a 4th winger wouldn't be a bad idea even though it is not as urgent a need as a striker with good finishing.
No team has four quality wingers in their team, what you need is two very good wingers that will play for the first team - which we already have - and a couple of back-up players. Park is a good enough back-up surely with his workrate and ability, while Giggs can still produce some good performances much like Figo at the same age, although not on a regular basis. We can also use Anderson or Rooney on flanks if we really need to, or switch to 4-3-3 where we would have enough players to stick in the front trio surely if we signed a striker.

Sarni

Have you seen Viduka this season? Well past his best.

As for Klose he only joined Bayern last summer and he's highly overrated.

Oh and Frazier Campbell has zero chance of making it at UTD.
Agreed, I find it amusing how everyone has faith in our academy products when the only one that made it in the past few years is Darren Fletcher, and even he is far away from being a first team player. The likes of Bardsley, Richardson and Eagles who were once promising just fade away with no trace.

Chris H

Video Posting God
...the only one that made it in the past few years is Darren Fletcher, and even he is far away from being a first team player.
He won't make any World XI sides, but I think he's shown himself to be a very valuable member of the squad this season. I think Sir Alex would definitely like to have had him available for the next three games.

Agree about the academy in general though. However the next crop will include many of the foreign lads that we've bought, so over the next few years, we might finally churn out a few more players for the senior side.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Today has finally convinced me that we need a striker, and we need one badly.

devilish

I strongly disagree. He is clearly losing legs rapidly currently. IMO he would be far better used in the hole behind three fast forwards. That I why I feel we might need extra cover for Nani and Ronaldo than just Park alone.

Personally I doubt it. But we shall see.
Oh comeon Chief. Ok Giggsie is not what he used to be but he can still act as cover for the first team. Regarding the Silva brothers, I havent seen enough matches to come out with a final judgement. Stating that, Brazilian football is based on a different mentality. Usually the Brazilian fullbacks are attacking minded players who can tackle and they find it easier to settle as wingers (take Mancini for example) rather then as defenders. Considering that the left back is already well covered with Evra, OShea and Mickey I guess that at least one of them may end up on the left flank.

devilish

I think that is article is absolutely bollocks. I doubt that we are going to bring in new midfielders, at least for now. Stating that, I believe that both Moutinho and Veloso are closely monitored. I mean Scholes wont last forever while there may be a time when one between OShea and Fletcher may ask to be transfered. In that case I wont be surprised if both Moutinho and Veloso ends up top of our priority list.

Godfather

Better get 4 target men.

I'd say: Berbatov, Benzema, Santa Cruz, Torres

Now what would that be like? feckin orgasmic I say.

Oh comeon Chief. Ok Giggsie is not what he used to be but he can still act as cover for the first team.
Not as winger. Dont' miss understand me. I'm not saying Giggs is finished. I'm just saying he no longer has the legs to be consistently good in that role on the wing. That is why it's not surprising some of his best games in the last 2 seasons have actually been in the hole or in center midfield. The Roma game being a prime example. & The win at Villa Park in the league earlier this year. In a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 as one of 3 CM's he'd be excellent. But as a winger he clearly isn't as effective as he can be anymore

Regarding the Silva brothers, I havent seen enough matches to come out with a final judgement. Stating that, Brazilian football is based on a different mentality. Usually the Brazilian fullbacks are attacking minded players who can tackle and they find it easier to settle as wingers (take Mancini for example) rather then as defenders. Considering that the left back is already well covered with Evra, OShea and Mickey I guess that at least one of them may end up on the left flank.
As I said, we shall see.