Ferguson braces for Man Utd's crucial week

Kelvin

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson basked in the 2-0 Champions League semi-final first leg win over Schalke on Wednesday and admitted that his team now face a crucial seven days.

United tackle Arsenal on Sunday and fellow Premier League title rivals Chelsea the weekend after with the return European leg against Schalke sandwiched in between.

"I hope we get a positive result on Sunday against Arsenal and then from there, depending on that result, I may well make three changes for next week's second leg as we've got Chelsea the weekend after," said Ferguson.

"It's a crucial seven days coming up for the club. I think we've come to our peak."

United are on the verge of a record 19th English league title, standing six points ahead of Chelsea and nine in front of Arsenal with just four matches left.

And after Tuesday's impressive win, they are virtually assured of a place in the May 28 final of the Champions League where either Barcelona or Real Madrid will be their opponents.

Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, a reported United target, kept the three-time champions at bay almost single-handedly on Tuesday before quick-fire second-half goals from Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney brought United victory.

The result puts Ferguson's side firmly in the driving seat ahead of next week's return leg at Old Trafford, when they will seek to book their place in the Champions League final for the third time in four seasons.

"It was a very professional performance tonight," added Ferguson. "The concentration, intensity and passing were all top class. They have all done fantastically well."

Neuer admitted that United were just too good.

"We had too much respect for our opponents," said Neuer.

"We weren't compact enough, we weren't aggressive in the tackles. We can be proud of what we have done. We will try and keep the adventure going to the end."

Ferguson was impressed by Neuer, who seems set to move to Bayern Munich in the summer.

"Manuel Neuer was incredible, it was perhaps the best performance I have seen by a keeper against us in my career."

Rooney, sent off on his last appearance at this venue in the 2006 World Cup, believes United could have scored more goals after dominating from the early stages.

"We're delighted but a bit disappointed in terms of not scoring more," he said.

"We have done very well. We have to be professional for the second leg as Schalke can't be taken lightly. They went to Inter and won 5-2 (in the first leg of their quarter-final)."

Giggs was always confident of victory.

"I thought if we kept creating chances then they would go in," said the Welshman who, at 37, became the oldest player to score a Champions League goal.

"We could have been four or five up at half-time. Before the match we would have taken 2-0 but it's quite disappointing in terms of the final result now."

Schalke defender Christoph Metzelder admitted his side were outplayed.
"We have to recognise that we were dominated by a team playing in a different dimension," he said. "We still have hope, anything is possible. We'll try and do everything to win at Old Trafford."

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think Arsenal will beat us. Not trying a jinx, just my opinion. We're often a bit flat after European aways, they're due a result against us, will be desperate to prove a point in front of their fans and actually played quite well against Bolton.

We'll beat Chelsea though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Disagree, I think it'll be a typical United v Arsenal match, let them fanny around with the ball in the central third not producing an awful lot and pick them off with a few well executed breaks, 0-2.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
I think Arsenal will beat us. Not trying a jinx, just my opinion. We're often a bit flat after European aways, they're due a result against us, will be desperate to prove a point in front of their fans and actually played quite well against Bolton.

Agree that we are a bit flat after european away games. Though I disagree with the part about Arsenal proving a point, there have been plenty of times this season where a determined response was required off them but time and again they fail to deliver. To put it simply, I dont think there will be a backlash from their end. If we do end up losing this game, it will be largely due to our own performance.

Arsenal will just be typical Arsenal imo. Predictable.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What type of team are we gonna put out, who is gonna be rested?
The question is "who wants a rest?". I'm sure everyone wants a game at this stage.It's where SAF has excelled over the years, he knows who's got the desire

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I am a bit concerned, as simplistic as it sounds, that Arsenal simply must beat us at some point. It was like ourselves against Chelsea until we shafted them in the quarter finals (barring the Community Shield).

Name Changed

weso26
I don't think he will put out a full team against Arsenal. He already said it would be a different team.

Personally, I don't agree with it. If we got a draw against Arsenal, it would mean we could lose to Chelsea and still win the league. If we lost to both then Chelsea would win it on goal difference.

Getting a point against Arsenal is essential, in my honest opinion. If anything, he could rest a couple in the return leg against Schalke.

The last thing I want to see on Sunday is a team comprised of the likes of Evans, Owen, Gibson and Obertan (with all due respect to them). We should play a proper team and get a result, as we should, as we have the beating of Arsenal.

Inigo Montoya

I am a bit concerned, as simplistic as it sounds, that Arsenal simply must beat us at some point. It was like ourselves against Chelsea until we shafted them in the quarter finals (barring the Community Shield).
Nothing to be concerned about.If it happens, it happens and they will have deserved it.I feel if anyone is going to be a little deflated it's them not us.We don't actually need to go all out for a win.Psychologically we're in a better position

Inigo Montoya

I don't think he will put out a full team against Arsenal. He already said it would be a different team.

Personally, I don't agree with it. If we got a draw against Arsenal, it would mean we could lose to Chelsea and still win the league. If we lost to both then Chelsea would win it on goal difference.

Getting a point against Arsenal is essential, in my honest opinion. If anything, he could rest a couple in the return leg against Schalke.

The last thing I want to see on Sunday is a team comprised of the likes of Evans, Owen, Gibson and Obertan (with all due respect to them). We should play a proper team and get a result, as we should, as we have the beating of Arsenal.
Oh, I think it will be 11 players.Anything less is asking a lot

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You're assuming Chelsea will win every single game between now and the end of the season. I don't think they will.

Commadus

We have the momentum and now is not the time to take the foot off the peddle = players are usually rairing to play in the big games. I would make as few changes as possible. I expect Giggs to be rested as we would need him in the home leg against Schalke.

However I suspect SAF to make a number of changes as he wants us to be fresh against Schalke as we still have a 6 point cushion in the league.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
That's assuming they don't bottle it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

There is no such thing as being due a result. :)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We have the momentum and now is not the time to take the foot off the peddle = players are usually rairing to play in the big games. I would make as few changes as possible. I expect Giggs to be rested as we would need him in the home leg against Schalke.

However I suspect SAF to make a number of changes as he wants us to be fresh against Schalke as we still have a 6 point cushion in the league.
Why would we rest players ahead of the second Schalke game when we have basically finished that tie by now?

prateik

The trip from Germany shouldnt take a lot out of the players.
The players had a nice training match last night and should be prepared for Arsenal.
No need to rest anyone, everyone should be fresh

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Wenger is very stubborn and won't change the way they play, and the way they play falls right into our hands. I do think the away game will have had an effect on us though so I reckon we'll draw.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
We didnt put put a full strength side last time against Le Arse.....it really does not matter, we will beat them.

MUFCgal

Our 2nd string beat them in the FA Cup. I know anything can happen in football, but our record at the Emirates is quite good. We've done them the last few times we've went there, they're in dire run of form and I think we'll take at least a point which wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

SFraser

Rest in Peace
Two more wins and we win the league. The lads can have a nice rest after that.

It will be all guns blazing on Sunday.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
What type of team are we gonna put out, who is gonna be rested?
Looking at the team last night, I don't think anyone looked tired. I'm sure Giggs is feeling the legs today, but he was full of running last night.

I don't really think resting players for the next 3 games will come into the equation.

Red-Indian

I don't think there any doubt Giggs will be rested. He played the full 90 last night and Fergie rarely starts him two games in a row. I suppose Anderson will come in for him.

Valencia will probably be rested and Nani should come in. He loves a game against them.

We'll conserve Rio and Smalling should slot in easily.

Other than that, we'll likely play the same team. Maybe sub Carrick at 60 for Fletcher or Scholes depending on how we're doing.

Shimo

Looking at the team last night, I don't think anyone looked tired. I'm sure Giggs is feeling the legs today, but he was full of running last night.

I don't really think resting players for the next 3 games will come into the equation.
SAF has been quoted saying Giggs won't play Sunday. Rooney in the interview confirmed that he didn't come off to injury but, was just tired.

Overall I think we'll go to Arsenal to neutralize their CM as per normal and hit them on the break. I honestly won't be surprised if we start just Rooney on Sunday as the lead striker with Park supporting him through the middle (Valencia/Nani on the wings) and perhaps Carrick/Anderson in CM.

Hopefully we go into Sunday with Spurs doing us some kind of favor - I do feel Chelsea can win their last 2 games and against us - well anything could happen.

@Red-Indian - Scholes is suspended still - last game of his suspension domestically.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

aways games, it wasn't a game yesterday. it was a training session. I'm quite confident we will batter them.

the spirits are high, we're in good form.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I'd like to see

----------------VDS-------
O'Solid-Smalling-Vidic-Fabio
Fletcher----Scholes--Anderson
Nani--------Rooney-----Park

I believe swap Nani for Ronaldo, Fabio for Evra and smalling for Rio and thats the team that ripped the arse hole out of them 2 seasons ago in the semi final.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Fergie will probably play with the same team as yesterday with the exception of Giggs and Park

Name Changed

weso26
You're assuming Chelsea will win every single game between now and the end of the season. I don't think they will.
I have to assume that they will Pogue. Their recent run of wins is superb considering they are not actually playing that well.

If they drop points anywhere before the end of the season, it's over for them bar a complete capitulation from us.

I wouldn't even give them a sniff of it personally by losing to Arsenal. Beat Arsenal and the league is as good as over.

RK

Players that will start:

Park
Rooney
Nani (on the right)
Anderson
Vidic
Evra

Players that won't start:

Giggs
Ferdinand
Valencia

They're the ones I'm confident about. I think Hernandez & Smalling will start but can't be sure. Not sure about Carrick and no idea about right-back.

Can never really predict Sir Alex though, he sometimes goes completely against the conventional mindset.

Excal

Agree with this.

Arsenal will be as motivated as they've ever been. They'll come out guns blazing, and mark me here, they will pass the shit out of the ball, (and we'll win two-nil with goals from Nani and Park.)

Inigo Montoya

Agree with this.

Arsenal will be as motivated as they've ever been. They'll come out guns blazing, and mark me here, they will pass the shit out of the ball, (and we'll win two-nil with goals from Nani and Park.)
They're quite welcome to do so as long as they do what they've usually done at the back

Number7

Ret's Slave
How can you be motivated when you have nothing to play for? A win against us won't prove anything to anyone and they know it. They've bottled it, again and no win against Un ited is going to mask that one little bit, if anything it will enhance the thought that they've fecked it up.

To say they'll be more motivated than us is absolutably fecking absurd.

And 4 days is plenty of rest too.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
cant see arsenal dominating this united team at the moment

we may sit back and take the draw but if arsenal do beat us it will be by the odd goal, maybe a controversial one at that