Gaming FIFA 20 or PES 2020?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can't see a thread on here directly asking this question, if there is one just close and point me in the right direction. Which would you recommend anyway? I'm not a big gamer and I don't see the point in owning 2 football games

I never play Ultimate Team/My Club, so the only mode I'd really play would be Career Mode/Master League and I'd play it when pre-drinking with friends before a night out.

I normally get Fifa, because it's just more polished with the official leagues etc, but the career has been untouched for a while now, and I've heard there's some stupid stuff like City getting relegated in the first season and Brighton winning the league etc. Master League any better?

Thanks.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Got both and I'd go FIFA for your needs. Career mode is glitched right now but will be patched. Most peoples friends all prefer playing FIFA at pres'. It has Volta mode this year also which is decent, also be good to play with mates. It's actually a very good FIFA this year (until the inevitable patch). Last years was terrible but this is a huge step up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If like me offline gaming is your thing then PES 2020 is the easy choice.

Online arcadey fun - FIFA. Better and more realistic gameplay - PES.

amolbhatia50k

FIFA from what I've heard is the better game this year.

PES is called frigging eSports Football or something now. If you're not interested in online then I'd give it a miss.
On the contrary, PES is always stronger offline than it is online. Single player is usually the reason the people who go for do that. The efootball thing is them trying to make bigger inroads into multiplayer.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
On the contrary, PES is always stronger offline than it is online. Single player is usually the reason the people who go for do that. The efootball thing is them trying to make bigger inroads into multiplayer.
Don't get me wrong, I do get why people opt for PES over FIFA for a fuller single-player mode but for me PES has a significant problem with passing and I really struggle to look past it. The ball looks (and feels) like it's moving on ice. Trajectory is almost always stuck to the ground and rarely deviates from going precisely to the intended target's feet. It really makes it feel quite unrewarding to play IMO. By contrast, FIFA's sliders include 'passing error' so if one wishes you can make the game a lot more realistic than base PES.

More criminally though is how Konami have left ML to rot. I think FIFA's career mode, the journey and this new volta thing give more bang for one's buck.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I criticize FIFA every year for how shite and arcadey it feels (and yet still buy it).

However... the gameplay this year is actually really good. The career mode is currently broken but if they fix that it could be the best Fifa for a while.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I criticize FIFA every year for how shite and arcadey it feels (and yet still buy it).

However... the gameplay this year is actually really good. The career mode is currently broken but if they fix that it could be the best Fifa for a while.
Yeah that's mostly what is putting me off and luring me to PES. I've seen screenshots from peoples saves of City and Liverpool getting relegated and teams always playing second string 11s in every league game. It happened last year too, big league game at Anfield and their starting Origi and Woodburn up front with Salah and Mane on the bench.

I hate City and Liverpool as much as the next guy, but shit like that would just annoy me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Only played Fifa demo this year and for once I was really a big fan. Not sure I’ll have the time to play this year but if I did - that would be my choice.

amolbhatia50k

Don't get me wrong, I do get why people opt for PES over FIFA for a fuller single-player mode but for me PES has a significant problem with passing and I really struggle to look past it. The ball looks (and feels) like it's moving on ice. Trajectory is almost always stuck to the ground and rarely deviates from going precisely to the intended target's feet. It really makes it feel quite unrewarding to play IMO. By contrast, FIFA's sliders include 'passing error' so if one wishes you can make the game a lot more realistic than base PES.

More criminally though is how Konami have left ML to rot. I think FIFA's career mode, the journey and this new volta thing give more bang for one's buck.
So interesting. I've always felt FIFA's players and moved in this wired floaty manner as if it were on ice. You've summer up how I've felt for very long about this.

And if you play PES 2020, the passing is excellent (without needing sliders) and they've included contextual shooting and passing - players will make errors if they try either when off balance.

Also first time I've heard someone saying the gameplay in PES is less regarding. Usually people find the animation odd or the presentation poor. But the consensus is that Pes is the harder to pick up and play and more rewarding.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
So interesting. I've always felt FIFA's players and moved in this wired floaty manner as if it were on ice. You've summer up how I've felt for very long about this.

And if you play PES 2020, the passing is excellent (without needing sliders) and they've included contextual shooting and passing - players will make errors if they try either when off balance.

Also first time I've heard someone saying the gameplay in PES is less regarding. Usually people find the animation odd or the presentation poor. But the consensus is that Pes is the harder to pick up and play and more rewarding.
About perfectly describes my experience. PES usually feels like every game is a bit different. FIFA despite all its hoopla about tactics etc eventually remains a rinse and repeat type of game to me.

I also feel the animations in PES (except for sprinting which looked dumb for the longest time) and feels more realistic, along with the more muted color palette.

Carolina Red

Staff
The career mode is currently broken but if they fix that
Looking like a big if at the moment... have they even responded yet to the hundreds of thousands of people that have pointed out that it is broken?

Edit: Nvm, just saw this in the FIFA thread

Hopefully they'll get it fixed. The game comes out today in the US, so I'd really like to not deal with a broken game on Day 1.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Career mode has been broken for years. The transfers, the cpu team selections, the league table, the fixture congestion. I tried to buy Varane one year for United to partner Bailly at centre back (Fifa 16 I think. the summer we signed Pogba anyway) only I couldn't even make a bid because he'd gone to bloody Middlesbrough on loan :lol:

I played against United in the CL final on last years game and they had some guy called Hamilton who was about a 65 overall starting centre mid over Pogba.

Sterling Archer

A lot of your gripes, the bold in particular, have been taken care of in the last few iterations of PES. I think you might change your mind if you give the demo a shot.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Gameplay is good in fifa when it's playable, unfortunately that's practically never. Game is broken, only 2nd weekend and I couldn't be arsed with weekend league and that's my fave mode.

Very tempted to get pes but I didn't like the demo.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If it's single player you want it's PES without doubt.

The career mode in FIFA borders on unplayable every year so the idea they are suddenly going to "fix it" this year doesn't exactly carry much weight.

PES is also far from perfect but once you get used to it is at least challenging, and actually works. The Master League for the first team is actually difficult. Unfortunately it is also riddled with infuriating cutscenes. Not perfect but still less infuriating than FIFA where you just straight give up because of the amount of stupid shite happening and fact that playing Grimsby town is exactly the same as playing Liverpool.

Last few years I've picked up fifa after christmas for about £20 so will probably do the same again. I wouldn't pay £60 For either but for some reason that's what fifa thinks it is worth

Web of Bissaka

Since we're on lockdown..

PES 2020 because of the United partnership, template covers and additions. Also they totally change the whole thing - it's way different than PES 2019. Basically it's overall a new game imo.

I don't really fancy either one (FIFA or PES in general), because it depends on the specific game versions. If it's actually a new game, not a cope-and-paste rip-off previous year with minimal additions, then it's worth spending.

FIFA 20 is still basically the same game (just like FIFA 19) with slight new features that doesn't matter much for now except Volta. Still addictive I suppose and frustrating at the same time. Volta seems fun, but I'll wait for it and the whole game to be develop further (hopefully) so I'll be getting the next FIFA 21 (if it will be released) instead of PES 21 (forecasted to be similar with PES 20 maybe).

I bought both FIFA 19 and PES 19 and tbh it can boring too quickly playing just one, so I keep on switching every time I get bored with one to another.

madzo2007

Both are down to £23.99 (Fifa) and £16.99 (PES) on the PS Store for this month

Will probably go with PES, I already have FIFA19 and 20 seems to sound the same.