FIFA considering having a World Cup every 2 years | Will save Africans from 'death in the sea'

FriedClams

A comparison I would use is the superbowl. Let's say there was a complete revamp of the NFL, they add a few teams and have two divisions with promotion and relegation. The superbowl takes place every 4 years. Would more people tune in than currently do? Typically, around 100 million people tune in to watch the Superbowl (although as superbowl watch party's are common often with hundreds of people, so that may explain a surprisingly low number on viewership) and the last world cup final had over 500 million people watching. Yes, football is the biggest sport in the world, but I would be willing to bet big money that if the superbowl happened 5 times in 20 years, the viewership would go up and up as it creates far more prestige and meaning than the Lombardi trophy changing hands almost every year. The same can be said for all the popular sports in north America.

A world cup every two years is, as others have said, nothing more than an attempt to make more money. I don't have a problem with that, it's the governing bodies job to sustain profitability and this would probably do it, but I imagine a lot of people 30 years + will slowly stop caring as much about it and because of that, the whole competition loses its romance.

This is very much a case of it it's not broken, don't fix it. The current format works, it allows for national team minnows to have a hope at glory, and it brings people from all over the world together on a different continent to unite in love of the game. If you need any reminder of how football brings people together, search all the news stories prior to the World cup in Brazil. From January to May, almost every major national newspaper raised concerns about violence in the country and how it was going to be unsafe. What happened was most of the country forgot a lot of their differences for a month, and it actually became a launching platform for some political progress in certain Brazilian states (which unfortunately, that progress has been lost due to the handling of Covid). If you have a world cup every two years, in multiple countries, you minimize the chance of helping one troubled country unite. Even Russia, the most obtuse nation in Europe, put on an excellent tournament, having ample time to prepare and make sure they gained some admirers.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Apparently, this is really getting traction. FIFA seem to have decided already.

Nordic football associations have voiced their strong disagreement and are threatening to leave FIFA alltogether. Hopefully, other European nations follow.

I'm well aware as Bosnian that this would increase our chances of participation on a more regular basis, but World Cup is not just about my country, it's so much bigger than that. Part of the reason is that it's played every four years.

I'm absolutely not against international football, I actually enjoy it a lot, but having World Cup every two years out of pure greed is going to kill off the tournament. Almost all of the people I know tune in for the World Cup. It's incomparable to anything else in terms of football. Most of those who don't like football ignore EURO, Champions League is hardly a bait for anyone nowadays, but World Cup is different.

I bet if they make it every two years, it's goint to destroy its widespread appeal.
Not even Infantino might believe that a WC every 2 years is a good idea to increase the level of competition, but he probably got bribed by some rich CEOs who will profit from that abomination.

Destroying the competition in the name of GREED.

Born2Lose

After getting away with Russia and Qatar why can't they just do anything they want

World cup every two years equals twice the bribe money.

Angelinho

Surely a World Cup in which the best teams can't play, because they played in the previous one, isn't a World Cup.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
These quotes are just flat out meme material that you'd expect someone like @rimaldo to come up with on here.
"Two world cups but not with the same teams participating... This is something that the technical people will study." Jesus :lol:
Also I love how "the youth" is the reason for everything when they're just trying to create more stuff that they can monetize. Same for the Super League who were suddenly on a mission to create bigger appeal for the next generation. So thoughtful of everyone to think of the youth, very nice.

Ace Krampus

Whatever. I can just not watch, which is basically what's going to happen. But what sucks is that it really kind of destroys the WC statistics of the last several decades, the various records for goals & appearances will be massacred and the stats we grew up with will look absolutely paltry. Totally decontextualizes some of the achievements we've seen.

Acole9

Outstanding
There's far too much international football already. This is a shit idea.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
These quotes are just flat out meme material that you'd expect someone like @rimaldo to come up with on here.
"Two world cups but not with the same teams participating... This is something that the technical people will study." Jesus :lol:
Also I love how "the youth" is the reason for everything when they're just trying to create more stuff that they can monetize. Same for the Super League who were suddenly on a mission to create bigger appeal for the next generation. So thoughtful of everyone to think of the youth, very nice.
libellous! each of my posts on here are somehow more level headed and based on more fact than the last. like the reviews of all the a-list celebrities that i’ve allowed to sleep with me. real big celebrities from films like lassie, air bud, free willy and jaws.

LARulz

Rio is interviewing Wenger live right now about it

I am still against it but got to admit, Wenger is a pretty decent salesman

RUCK4444

Rio is interviewing Wenger live right now about it

I am still against it but got to admit, Wenger is a pretty decent salesman

Feck Wenger and his ideas for international football.

I almost want it to happen so I can finally call time on my now very limited interest I still have left in the game.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Condensing all the international games in to one part at the start or end of the club season makes sense from club football perspective.

Whatever the schedule is, the players need to be able to take a break too.

Hard to see how you fit a world cup in every two years.

The problem is money is driving everything in football now. Greed is killing the sport.

LARulz

Condensing all the international games in to one part at the start or end of the club season makes sense from club football perspective.

Whatever the schedule is, the players need to be able to take a break too.

Hard to see how you fit a world cup in every two years.

The problem is money is driving everything in football now. Greed is killing the sport.
I agree on all of what you said. He said that after the tournament there would be a 25 day (negotiable) mandatory break for the players before returning to the clubs. I really cannot see that as acceptable for the football clubs when their best players return in August or something

One point I really did agree with is how valued the World Cup/international football is and useful it is for development in 'smaller' nations. Said we all look at it from a European perspective but that's not good for Africa, Asia and even South America.

Him saying that their studies (pinch of salt) said the younger generations like the idea of a world cup every 2 years surprised me and that the older ones against it and said it's due to our emotion/way we expect it. I would really be interested to see how that splits though between countries as I am sure the European countries at least would be strongly in favour of keeping the WC every 4 years no matter the age

I personally don't see why we still can't keep his idea of doing 2 blocks of internationals but take away the need for a world cup every 2 years

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I agree on all of what you said. He said that after the tournament there would be a 25 day (negotiable) mandatory break for the players before returning to the clubs. I really cannot see that as acceptable for the football clubs when their best players return in August or something

One point I really did agree with is how valued the World Cup/international football is and useful it is for development in 'smaller' nations. Said we all look at it from a European perspective but that's not good for Africa, Asia and even South America.

Him saying that their studies (pinch of salt) said the younger generations like the idea of a world cup every 2 years surprised me and that the older ones against it and said it's due to our emotion/way we expect it. I would really be interested to see how that splits though between countries as I am sure the European countries at least would be strongly in favour of keeping the WC every 4 years no matter the age

I personally don't see why we still can't keep his idea of doing 2 blocks of internationals but take away the need for a world cup every 2 years
The study they did seems dodgy as feck. First they took the responses and after that they "evaluated" which responses came from people they felt were interested in football, and only included the opinions of those that they deemed liked football enough.

wattsy7

I like the idea of less international breaks, particularly the September, October & November ones which really disrupt the beginning of the club season. However, the idea of a World Cup every 2 years I feel devalues the competition & comes across as just an idea motivated by greed.

A solution?

Keep the World Cup & Euros as normal but use the summers in between as month long qualifying phases, they could potentially feel like mini tournaments. We can still keep the March international break for friendlies & chance for the managers to have a look at players before deciding their tournament/qualifying squads.

Schedule example:
march 23 friendlies
june 23 euros qualifying
march 24 friendlies
june 24 euros
march 25 friendlies
june 25 world cup qualifying
march 26 friendlies
june 26 world cup

Last edited:

captaincantona

It’s like kids these days fast forwarding through/skipping adverts on tv/YouTube ...everything needs to be immediate...or binge watching box sets or not listening to full albums and just streaming single songs...the magic is lost - waiting a year to see the new Star Wars in a cinema or having to waiting a whole week to see if Tony Soprano will whack his cousin...Waiting overnight outside HMV for the new Oasis single...everything is too easy now.
I remember exactly where I was when Ray Houghton scored a worldie against Italy and I will never forget pretending to be Packie Bonner against Romania...if there’s a World Cup every two years, the achievement will mean less for small nations cause they will just try again the next year and players won’t feel like their time is running out...So won’t be so desperate to make it...

There is no good in this proposal. None.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Whatever they do, stop internationals during a season, cant stand them. Other than euros or world cup, i couldnt care a toss about int'l games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
International football should be going the other way, reducing fixtures, not adding more.

It's a remnant from the long gone days where players didn't move around much, and it was undoubtedly the top level. It hasn't been as such for ages.

Trequarista10

Whatever they do, stop internationals during a season, cant stand them. Other than euros or world cup, i couldnt care a toss about int'l games.
This. The Nations League added something in it's first outing, but its already reverted to being completely meaningless.

I like the idea of less international breaks, particularly the September, October & November ones which really disrupt the beginning of the club season. However, the idea of a World Cup every 2 years I feel devalues the competition & comes across as just an idea motivated by greed.

A solution?

Keep the World Cup & Euros as normal but use the summers in between as month long qualifying phases, they could potentially feel like mini tournaments. We can still keep the March international break for friendlies & chance for the managers to have a look at players before deciding their tournament/qualifying squads.

Schedule example:
march 23 friendlies
june 23 euros qualifying
march 24 friendlies
june 24 euros
march 25 friendlies
march 26 friendlies
june 26 world cup
This would work for me.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
I think the idea is stupid, but if this gets rid of the silly international breaks every few weeks as Wenger proposes, then I will take it.

Withnail

Hopefully this is the start of the push back and this ridiculous idea gets canned and they cut down on international matches if anything.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
This would be the lesser of two evils when compared to letting in more teams. Letting in more teams means more money though so I'm not surprised it came first.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A lot of criticism on this proposal is from people who wouldn't care one jot if international football disappeared overnight. Thankfully such people are in the minority and can jog on

I think the WC should be kept to 4 years. However for teams who don't qualify for the WC, maybe some lesser version can be created? A bare bones version of the WC, but with the feel good factor of having international teams from all over the world meet up (along with their fans) to just play football? Designate 2 or 3 permanent host countries with infrastructure in place to avoid the corrupt bribery process.

Regarding fixture congestion, the onus should be on both club and international football to cut back on the number of games played in a season. Eliminating international qualifiers and friendlies during club season should come with a commitment from FAs and UEFA to cut down on the amount of domestic/intercontinental fixtures (eliminate the Carling Cup for starters, maybe limit top flight clubs to 18, limit clubs that enter Europe).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I hope the future of football is playing international football all year round with a few breaks where the 6 remaining trillionaire clubs play 50 a side so they can fit all their superstars into their squad.

tentan

Poor man's poster.

A solution?

Schedule example:
march 23 friendlies
june 23 euros qualifying
march 24 friendlies
june 24 euros
march 25 friendlies
march 26 friendlies
june 26 world cup
Good idea. But I don't think its fair for international managers. To only catch up with your squad once every 3 or 8 months is way too long. They way it is now allows the teams to gel every few months or so which is important.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
A lot of criticism on this proposal is from people who wouldn't care one jot if international football disappeared overnight. Thankfully such people are in the minority and can jog on

I think the WC should be kept to 4 years. However for teams who don't qualify for the WC, maybe some lesser version can be created? A bare bones version of the WC, but with the feel good factor of having international teams from all over the world meet up (along with their fans) to just play football? Designate 2 or 3 permanent host countries with infrastructure in place to avoid the corrupt bribery process.

Regarding fixture congestion, the onus should be on both club and international football to cut back on the number of games played in a season. Eliminating international qualifiers and friendlies during club season should come with a commitment from FAs and UEFA to cut down on the amount of domestic/intercontinental fixtures (eliminate the Carling Cup for starters, maybe limit top flight clubs to 18, limit clubs that enter Europe).
I like your suggestion regarding the Carling Cup. Either dump it or bring it back to what I remember it to be - a place for new first teamers and promising youth to get experience.

The arrival of the billionaire clubs somehow turned this into another competition for the first team and I never remember it being that. I remember it being a chance for top clubs to get their fringe players cup experience and little clubs a chance to enjoy a cup run.

I somehow recall us losing to Exeter city in the 2000s. Exeter wouldn't even be in with a shout now.

Crimson King

If 30,000 is a very small sample for a global sport that draws in millions.

Every football fan I know personally is dead against the idea, which is admittedly an even smaller sample, but just highlights how selective you can be with survey data.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I suspect the survey group was Arsene Wenger wearing various moustaches.

Anecdotal but I haven't spoken to a single person in favour of a more frequent World Cup. Admittedly I haven't spoken to 30,000 people to get their opinions on it.

pacifictheme

Same. Great thing about the world Cup is its every 4 years so its special.

Also players will be even more fecked if they are made to play an international tournament every year.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is this asking to drop euro's for a 2nd World Cup in 4 years?