FIFA considering having a World Cup every 2 years | Will save Africans from 'death in the sea'

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Why on earth does an ex-Manager think this is a good idea?

How much more money can Wenger need after such a successful career (in terms of earnings ;) ) that he will sell his soul for the FIFA money lust.
Well, Pep is not against it either. Klopp thinks it’s all about the money and is against it like any mgr should be.

RUCK4444

Feck off Wenger. How the feck can we fit in a World Cup every 2 years and who the hell would want to watch one every 2 years?

International football is boring beyond belief. We need less of it, not more!!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
A few days old but I only saw it after Wenger said that fans support the idea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58587328

It used polling company YouGov to commission a poll involving 23,000 people in 23 countries, across the organisation's six confederations.

Of those, 15,000 respondents "were identified as expressing an interest in football and the Fifa World Cup", with 55% in favour of a World Cup every one, two or three years.
Am I reading it wrong, or is this saying that they polled 23,000 people and then only accepted respondents who in the majority voted the way they wanted them to? I know it says "identified as expressing an interest" but it's very easy to brush away a respondent who didn't like the idea of more World Cups.

Andrew7582

I'd like to see england win something during my lifetime so anything which improves the chances of that is fine by me, the top clubs have big enough squads to handle it, look at how many players united have that hardly ever play.

Look-a-Hill

This is just typical anti-English behaviour from Fifa. They know we will eventually win a World Cup and they just want to subject us to more of Southgates management before we do.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
It’s perfect how it is. Makes it special. Will happen though probably.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think it's a bad idea but I don't have a strange hatred for international football and I realize that across the world there are many fans who wouldn't mind this change. The challenge is keeping the WC unique and sparse, while finding the balance between club and international football. I don't want to hear about international football fixtures being overwhelming when that pattern is matched on the club sode.

Tonicruise

Supports
FC Bayern
This just reeks of greed, i find it hard to believe a majority would be supporting this proposal. It completely demolishes the prestige of the WC. I strongly believe one of the one things that builds up the hype and intrest for it is the fact that its so rare and unique.

redshaw

Every 3 years is a good compromise, enough space between to not dilute the tournaments, the players do get a year off with Euros and World Cup every 3 years.

That's very close to 4 world cups across 10 years, which already sounds a lot. Every two years would be too much and ruin the special nature.

Every 3 years would also mean less useless friendlies, every 2 years of course would eliminate the need and wonder if they would even cut qualification down.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is just typical anti-English behaviour from Fifa. They know we will eventually win a World Cup and they just want to subject us to more of Southgates management before we do.
It’s football saturation and not being done for the right reasons. This is another money grab. I’m surprised at wenger

golden_blunder

Staff
Every 3 years is a good compromise, enough space between to not dilute the tournaments, the players do get a year off with Euros and World Cup every 3 years.

That's very close to 4 world cups across 10 years, which already sounds a lot. Every two years would be too much and ruin the special nature.

Every 3 years would also mean less useless friendlies, every 2 years of course would eliminate the need and wonder if they would even cut qualification down.
Where do you fit in all the qualifying?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't blame them in mirroring what clubs are doing and attempting to increase their slice on the pie. Only problem is there is only so much football to go around. It's a finite resource. And the more they all gorge themselves in greed, the more likely they are to eat the sport to death.

It's a shame because the 32-team World Cup and 16-team Euros are perfectly structured tournaments. No bloat, very few dead rubbers, and quality throughout. Stakes are high due to both the format and the frequency. There is so much on the line which is what makes it special.

However, as the tournaments expand, we increase the number of meaningless games. And as the tournaments increase in frequency, the stakes become lower. In the long run interest will dilute, but in the short-to-medium term some people will make more money.

Where do you fit in all the qualifying?
Won't need much qualifying in the future when we have 48-team World Cups and 24-team Euros.

golden_blunder

Staff
FIFA in my opinion should be focusing its energies in promoting football as a sport across the globe, doing more for communities who might not be able to afford football, doing more at educational level, introducing positive changes to the game and being a role model for all things football.

now I just see them as yet another greedy entity, sucking the goodness out of football, proposing power grabs as bad as the ESL.

what does it take for people to wake up to the idea of less football on the calendar not more, players dropping from exhaustion?

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
It’s not just a World Cup every two years he wants euros and copas every two years giving us an international tournament every summer.
This is on top of increasing domestic European football by expanding the champion league and this stupid euro conference they have just created for no good reason.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
If this happens would the Euro's still be every 4 years?
He is trying to reduce international fixtures as well as this idea. So it’s likely the euros would cease to exist. Would also explain why UEFA are going to fight them over it.

At the end of the day we already have a competition every two years. But the Euros isn’t as good as the WC. It’s not even close.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The good thing is that this would finally kill the most useless competion, the Confederations Cup. And I think the Nations League will stop making sense, if we are going to make the Euro and WC a 2 years interval.

This will only be possible if there is a big change in the qualifying rounds in order to reduce the number of games. Or make Nations League the new way for teams to qualify, instead of the "traditional" qualifying groups.

Hughes35

If they HAVE to change it, I think they should do every 3 years for both the WC and Euros.

Then do the qualifying like they do in the CL or Europa. More of a knockout format, rather than endless groups. Seeded teams playing less games to qualify.

Seveneric

Can't be about money, seeing as Wenger who hates money and is the bastion of everything pure and holy about football, is all for it.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Now that all the FIFA legends have come out in favor of it, I'm a supporter!

Andrew7582

This just reeks of greed, i find it hard to believe a majority would be supporting this proposal. It completely demolishes the prestige of the WC. I strongly believe one of the one things that builds up the hype and intrest for it is the fact that its so rare and unique.
So having the WC every two years demolishes the prestige of the competition, but having the CL every year is perfectly fine apparently. I have always thought that 4 years between tournaments is too long. There are some great players that never got to play in a world cup due to the misfortune of being injured at the wrong time and having to wait 4 years for their next chance.

dinostar77

WC should be every 5 years. A special event, therefore making qualifying for it and getting there more important. 2 years is a awful idea.

Just FIFA wanting their slice of CL money which they cant get so using WC to generate it for themselves.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He is trying to reduce international fixtures as well as this idea. So it’s likely the euros would cease to exist. Would also explain why UEFA are going to fight them over it.

At the end of the day we already have a competition every two years. But the Euros isn’t as good as the WC. It’s not even close.
Euros have been than WC for many years.

The only WC in modern times that has been better than Euro is 1998 WC, otherwise it was the other way around.

Euro 2000 shits on every modern WC except France 1998.

Euro 1992 shits on 1990 and 1994 WC.

To see WC as equally as good as Euro we have to go back to the 70s and 80s, as WC had less teams back team.
The WC format with 32 teams hasn't been better than Euro... it's gonna be worse with 48 teams.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The good thing is that this would finally kill the most useless competion, the Confederations Cup. And I think the Nations League will stop making sense, if we are going to make the Euro and WC a 2 years interval.

This will only be possible if there is a big change in the qualifying rounds in order to reduce the number of games. Or make Nations League the new way for teams to qualify, instead of the "traditional" qualifying groups.
Will never happen unless they just make nations league like normal qualifying. Groups of Spain, Germany, France or whatever it was last year with Germany bottom and not qualifying defeats the object especially with World cup going to 48 teams.

Nations league certainly needs to be scrapped anyway if this format happens.

Hate the idea anyway but sadly has an air of inevitability about it now given a few confederations support it. Asia and Africa already getting in more teams from 2026 so about time they actually started making serious impact at the World cup.

R'hllor

Its not surprising that idea came from Wenger, that fart loves his bag, easy sellout.

CookieMonster

Supports
FC Bayern München
If it means scrapping the Euro's for it? I'm in.

World Cup > Euros
My thoughts exactly. There's just something extra special about the World Cup. It's the biggest stage there is.

But I doubt that UEFA, CONMEBOL, CAF, AFC and all the other continental federations will just give up their tournaments.
So if the federations can't agree it would turn into a gigantic clusterfeck. And the international games are already a clusterfeck that needs to be sorted out, just like Klopp and others bemoan quite often.

I'd say that Fifa and all the other federations should first create a international season, that is being played after the club season, where all international qualification, friendly and world cup/other tournament games are being played, and then decide, if they want to play the world cup every two years and scrap the continental tournaments for it.
And while they're at it they should also drastically reduce the number of international friendly games. The players already have to play a ridiculous amount of games without a ton of basically meaningless friendlies. To make up for that the international coaches would actually have the players together for a longer period of time thanks to the "international season".

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Apparently, this is really getting traction. FIFA seem to have decided already.

Nordic football associations have voiced their strong disagreement and are threatening to leave FIFA alltogether. Hopefully, other European nations follow.

I'm well aware as Bosnian that this would increase our chances of participation on a more regular basis, but World Cup is not just about my country, it's so much bigger than that. Part of the reason is that it's played every four years.

I'm absolutely not against international football, I actually enjoy it a lot, but having World Cup every two years out of pure greed is going to kill off the tournament. Almost all of the people I know tune in for the World Cup. It's incomparable to anything else in terms of football. Most of those who don't like football ignore EURO, Champions League is hardly a bait for anyone nowadays, but World Cup is different.

I bet if they make it every two years, it's goint to destroy its widespread appeal.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s a question of when, not if, do Newcastle win the World Cup

golden_blunder

Staff

Nordic football associations have voiced their strong disagreement and are threatening to leave FIFA alltogether. Hopefully, other European nations follow.

I'm well aware as Bosnian that this would increase our chances of participation on a more regular basis, but World Cup is not just about my country, it's so much bigger than that. Part of the reason is that it's played every four years.

I'm absolutely not against international football, I actually enjoy it a lot, but having World Cup every two years out of pure greed is going to kill off the tournament. Almost all of the people I know tune in for the World Cup. It's incomparable to anything else in terms of football. Most of those who don't like football ignore EURO, Champions League is hardly a bait for anyone nowadays, but World Cup is different.

I bet if they make it every two years, it's goint to destroy its widespread appeal.
Spot on

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yep.

Even just as a football fan, the fact that it's a twice in a decade tournament makes it feel like more of an event when it comes around.