FIFA U-20 World Cup 2015

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
So this tournament has kicked-off and there's been virtually no attention being paid to it. Not only in the main media but on the caf too. Feck, even Toulon tournament has its own thread!

Anyway this year's competition is being held in New Zealand, which means crazy kick-off times. Like there's actually a game being played now.

It is one of my favourite competitions to watch and discover new talents. I take sole credit for discovering Xavi & Seidu Keita way back in 1999.

Unlike 2 years ago, there's no standout talent or team in this year's competition. Anyone can win it but my money is on usual suspects Argentina, Brazil, Ghana or Nigeria.

So who are your favourites? Any talents in the Burma squad we should be scouting?

http://fifa.com/u20worldcup/index.html

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I remember when this was held in Canada a few years back. It was great fun to watch.

Definitely should keep this thread updated with results.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There's not a single player from Bayern in the German team.

Never seen a tournament that has both Fiji and Myanmar. North Korea won't be the worst team.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Giving up a goal to Myanmar! At least we equalized shortly after.

khoazany

There's not a single player from Bayern in the German team.

Never seen a tournament that has both Fiji and Myanmar. North Korea won't be the worst team.
I watched the Asia qualifier.Myanmar was lucky to be put in a quite easy group (they're decent to be fair but no where near Asia's top sides).I'm from Vietnam we also got into the group stage of the qualifier but were put in the same group as South Korea,Japan and China...

ctp

Nigeria should be winning this. That generation destroyed everyone at u-17 level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup
Brazil, Mexico, Argentina could also be up there.
The German side is pretty strong as well. U19 Euro Champions last year and some very good players, even with two of the most talented players missing in Kimmich and Selke.

Players to watch: Julian Brandt (Leverkusen), Marc Stendera (Frankfurt), Levin Öztunali (Bremen)

Cait Sith

How did Italy, France, Spain, England, Belgium all fail to qualify for this? :eek:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
How did Italy, France, Spain, England, Belgium all fail to qualify for this? :eek:
They all failed to qualify for the u19 Euros last year and only the top 3 from the two groups at the u19 Euros qualify for the u20 WC. It's not that easy to qualify if there are only 7 spots available for the Euro (1 spot is reserved for the host nation, last year it was Hungary) and that's the only way to also make the WC. Spain for example finished 2nd in their qualifying group behind Germany, so it was always one or the other.

steve zizou

Youth football is always cyclical in terms of the talent coming through. For instance the French squad 2 years ago had Pogba, Thauvin, Kondogbia, Digne, Zouma, Umtiti, Sanogo; Spain had Jese, Alcacer, Oliver Torres, Deulofeu, Bernat; Even England had Kane, Barkley & Stones. Also the 'big european nations' have big teams who don't always release their best players so they tend to lack continuity.

Snow

I watched the Asia qualifier.Myanmar was lucky to be put in a quite easy group (they're decent to be fair but no where near Asia's top sides).I'm from Vietnam we also got into the group stage of the qualifier but were put in the same group as South Korea,Japan and China...
Are the group stages completely unseeded?

Snow

They all failed to qualify for the u19 Euros last year and only the top 3 from the two groups at the u19 Euros qualify for the u20 WC. It's not that easy to qualify if there are only 7 spots available for the Euro (1 spot is reserved for the host nation, last year it was Hungary) and that's the only way to also make the WC. Spain for example finished 2nd in their qualifying group behind Germany, so it was always one or the other.
It's similar with the women's world cup. Some teams are so far ahead of the rest and will unquestionably win all of their games. Only one non-group winner qualifies and that's after a playoff.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Nigeria should be winning this. That generation destroyed everyone at u-17 level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup
Brazil, Mexico, Argentina could also be up there.
Indeed they were unplayable. Knocked us out 2-0, but I would fancy our chances of making it more competitive three years on. It's not just the usual "are they really 17?", but the fact U-17 foootball is more down to physique and natural talent, while at U-20 having drilled tactics, playing senior football regularly, etc. should make a more significant difference. That's what our grassroots setup emphasises: consistent performance and tactical setup regardless of specific talents in the current crop.

We've started well beating Serbia 1-0, good goal and a great keeper, as usual, which can be key in these. Mexico next, who lost 2-0 to Mali and had two players sent off so hopefully we can wrap up qualification from the group before that third game.

antohan

Brazil weren't particularly impressive in the South American U20 tourno, they came fourth and just about managed to qualify. Argentina won it, quite comfortably, with Simeone's son as top scorer alongside Ángel Correa who was probably the highlight of the tourno in terms of ability to make something happen from nowhere.

steve zizou

Indeed they were unplayable. Knocked us out 2-0, but I would fancy our chances of making it more competitive three years on. It's not just the usual "are they really 17?", but the fact U-17 foootball is more down to physique and natural talent, while at U-20 having drilled tactics, playing senior football regularly, etc. should make a more significant difference.
I think the physicality is overblown. I watched the Austrians boys outmuscle Ghana yesterday. Also the age thing doesn't really exist anymore. Ghana were kicked out of this years u-17 because they had an 18 year old.

antohan

I think the physicality is overblown. I watched the Austrians boys outmuscle Ghana yesterday. Also the age thing doesn't really exist anymore. Ghana were kicked out of this years u-17 because they had an 18 year old.
But this is an U-20 tournament. My point is precisely that at U-17 it has a more significant impact.

It was probably wrong to just call it physicality when the main issue for us isn't that but athleticism. It isn't a particular hallmark of Uruguayan players. We always struggle against African teams for this very reason, but it is more acute with younger players as there are less alternatives in their locker to make up for it, if that makes sense?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
really entertaining game between Brazil and Nigeria, 1-1 so far. 9 shots on target in the first 18 minutes.

steve zizou

What's Eurosport playing at? They are showing a repeat of a handball match!!!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Great assist plus goal scored for Nigeria by Musa Yahaya. Spurs signed him last year, but thus far work permit issues have stopped him joining in with our academy set-up.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Great assist plus goal scored for Nigeria by Musa Yahaya. Spurs signed him last year, but thus far work permit issues have stopped him joining in with our academy set-up.
Good luck with that...

The FA have said they pretty much want to stop this special talent clause so he will need to appear in 75% of the first teams internationals over a two year period to get a permit and as he has no full caps as of yet its a fair bet that a work permit is going to be difficult to achieve.

It wont just be him and spurs of course it will be all non EU players for all UK clubs but it does seem a shame that he cant go to spurs to develop (unless you marry him off to some European lass?)

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Good luck with that...

The FA have said they pretty much want to stop this special talent clause so he will need to appear in 75% of the first teams internationals over a two year period to get a permit and as he has no full caps as of yet its a fair bet that a work permit is going to be difficult to achieve.

It wont just be him and spurs of course it will be all non EU players for all UK clubs but it does seem a shame that he cant go to spurs to develop (unless you marry him off to some European lass?)
I've just looked into it a bit more. There is an ‘Exceptions Panel’ that provides an alternative route of evaluation and acknowledges that there are factors other than international appearances that can indicate whether a player is of an exceptional standard.

Musa Yahaya is a 17 year old playing at the U20 world cup, for a top 50 ranked country, so perhaps this will add weight to the argument that he should be given a work permit.

antohan

Good luck with that...

Sorted

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I've just looked into it a bit more. There is an ‘Exceptions Panel’ that provides an alternative route of evaluation and acknowledges that there are factors other than international appearances that can indicate whether a player is of an exceptional standard.

Musa Yahaya is a 17 year old playing at the U20 world cup, for a top 50 ranked country, so perhaps this will add weight to the argument that he should be given a work permit.
Isn't it this exemption panel that the fa want to get rid of though as they feel too many mediocre players have got through it.
Not saying I agree with getting rid of the panel... Nor can I say anything about that particular player but if you didn't get a permit before its going to be tough now and not just for him but any young players without an eu passport

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Good luck with that...

That rule hasn't came in yet and his teammate Iheanacho with City has just got a permit in the last few months. They'll be able to get him one, it just takes time sometimes.

jb8521

It wont be because of work permit that he hasnt been allowed join yet clubs cant even apply for a permit for non E.U. players until they turn 18 so he'll probably get a permit and join in January like Iheanacho did with City this year.

steve zizou

End to end so far in Ghana v Argentina game. Ghana worth their 1-0 lead.