Final: Italy vs England

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I find it very interesting how England is considered the favourites according to the bookies.

Only by a slight margin, but still.
That's actually shocking.
The margain should be much bigger because football is coming home.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I’m a bit late to understanding this so can someone help me?

Why have England had alot of games at Wembley?

What was the reasoning behind that? I thought things were getting played at different stadiums. Seems a bit unfair on Germany and Denmark.
The England Germany game was originally going to be in Dublin. The Irish backed out last minute due to covid and Wembley stepped forward.

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester
I don't see how the Italians should win; England will overpower them like they did with the Danes. The Italians will be gassed after max 70 minutes and there is always the chance to score at set pieces. Could be tricky if Italy manage to score the first goal, but even then I'm confident that England is able to turn this around in the late minutes. Plus the Wembley advantage. 3:1 for England

MU655

I’m a bit late to understanding this so can someone help me?

Why have England had alot of games at Wembley?

What was the reasoning behind that? I thought things were getting played at different stadiums. Seems a bit unfair on Germany and Denmark.
Not as unfair as the teams that got to play no games at homes. Denmark benefited with that against Wales. Amsterdam was practically a home game, also.

It is just a rubbish setup, to be honest. I think only one or two teams maximum should get to play at home.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
As a unit Italy is better than England. People underestimated Spain, which in the last two days has caused people to underestimate Italy.

Spain with Harry Kane would win this tournament. Bloody hell Spain with Danny Ings would win this Euros. They're just lacking a striker. Italy being dominated by Spain doesn't mean Italy are bad. Italy are a quality team.

We go into the final, in my opinion, as underdogs. But that suits us. Italy will try and monopolise possession. I think we can low block and use counters to our advantage. It won't be easy but I feel like we have a good chance.

TheLiverBird

If it's a fair game ( and I mean refs not giving disgraceful decisions for every dive England player give) then Italy will win. Italy will dominate the midfield and will only lose the ball in attacking areas, instead of counting-attacks areas which every England fan will be made to believe that they will catch Italy on the counter.

It depends on the refs but Italy will love this, they will have seen it all before and love every moment of England fans taunting them, it's in their DNA to grind out a win
:lol: :lol: :lol:

no bitterness here

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I have Italy as slight favourites, but there appears to be an irresistible momentum pulling us forward and we have by the far strongest depth. Could see this one going to ET too.

Judas

Open to offers
We get one lucky penalty and suddenly we rely purely on having UEFA in our back pocket and the refs are totally bent in our favour :lol: RAWK level shite, how can some of you not be totally embarrassed.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
All non-England fans since last night:

Hook it to my veins.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I've only just seen the replays but having seen them, I'm a bit confused about the outrage. Soft decision but hardly a criminal mistake.

Still need to see the replay of the Kane penalty incident as they looked stonewall from where I was sat.
Kane fouled the guy before coming to the box. Would've been a pen otherwise.

Bestietom

The Italians are a well drilled outfit and this will be the toughest game for England. If England are to win it, they will have to win the midfield battle. This is where the Italians create most of their goals from, with defence slitting passes.

Tomuś

We get one lucky penalty and suddenly we rely purely on having UEFA in our back pocket and the refs are totally bent in our favour :lol: RAWK level shite, how can some of you not be totally embarrassed.
I'd be embarassed by claiming nothing happened and excused that for the Maradona goal tbf. It's quite simple, do you think the Danes are getting a peno for that?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I'd be embarassed by claiming nothing happened and excused that for the Maradona goal tbf. It's quite simple, do you think the Danes are getting a peno for that?
You saw the foul for the free kick that they scored from, right?

UpWithRivers

It will be an ugly game. I just hope we get the job done before pens. I cant handle another one of those.

Judas

Open to offers
I LITERALLY said we got a lucky penalty, it was a dive. I think they probably are yeah, going by how fouls have been awarded at this tournament. How is it the morning time and you're still raging :lol: go to bed again.

Ananke

The danes got their share of soft fouls. Also, 21 fouls from the danes and just a single yellow card. They were technical fouling us all night and getting away with it.

The freekick that resulted in their only goal was an absolutely nothing foul.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Look it was a dodgy pen. I'd be fuming if that we knocked out of the semis with a pen like that, but at the same time, I've seen those given all the time.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Man even I don't like or agree with most of England usually but I'm still behind this team. Some right bitter lemons all over the forum :lol:

James35

Seeing Liverpool, City, Chelsea win leagues and CLs (not you City!) and then England win a major tournament is possibly my worst nightmare as a football fan. Happy for the English fans on the Caf of course but for my sanity I'm going to have my fingers crossed for Italy.

However I think England with the Wembley fans behind them will win this 2-1 in 90 mins.

Tomuś

I LITERALLY said we got a lucky penalty, it was a dive. I think they probably are yeah, going by how fouls have been awarded at this tournament. How is it the morning time and you're still raging :lol: go to bed again.
Raging? Ever had a dictionary in your hands? ;)

Siorac

England slight favourites at the bookies (8/5 and Italy are 9/5), which is mental.
It really isn't. Between two relatively evenly matched teams, the one with home advantage is usually considered the favourite.

And yes, England and Italy are relatively evenly matched. England's attackers are better, Italy's midfield is better, they both have quite good defences, and both keepers have apparently all sorts of problems with kicking the ball to a teammate this tournament.

Italy have played the better football this tournament, overall, but they aren't some all-conquering superpower that you lot make them out to be. They struggled massively against Austria and were completely outplayed by Spain.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mm. Italy have the better midfield, but our attack is damn sight better at finishing than Spain were.

Judas

Open to offers
We need Southgate to show his brains here and be clever. He should have been planning for Italy from the second France went out.

I do believe, but this is going to be the toughest game he's had has our manager by a million miles.

It's probably for the best the semi wasn't a walkover, I think this team needed that headache.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Mm. Italy have the better midfield, but our attack is damn sight better at finishing than Spain were.
But. And here is my biggest worry. That midfield of rice and Phillips on the ball is a million miles away from spains who kept the ball from Italy. Up until Denmark gassed they were getting passed around by Denmark

Jack-C20

The last time we met in a competition there was loads of trouble in town. Large numbers of England fans and large numbers of Italian fans obviously don’t go together, at least not in the sport of football. Safe to say I’ll be enjoying (enduring) the final at home.

Steamboat Willy

One awfull penaltydecision that made you win your semi. Everyone knows that Denmark had won the shootout with Schmeichel against Pickford.

I think the game is set up for an ultra defensive England for the first 70 minutes, until Italy get tired and we bring on our superior bench. The game will depend on whether Italy can break through our midfield enough times in that first 70 minutes or not. After that our substitute attackers will be too much for them to cope with.

Defenders: Both sides have excellent centre backs, probably the best in the competition.

Fulls back: all are very good and could cancel each other out. Spinazzola is a big miss for them, can an Emerson who cant get a game for Chelsea cope with Walker and Sancho? But on the other side Shaw will have his work cut out with Lorenzo and Chiesa.

Midfield: Italy will dominate us here. I was disappointed with the way Denmark were able to bully us and run straight through our midfield, and Italy with Verratti, Jorginho and Barella are a whole different ball game. We have to plan for them to control the midfield because Rice and Phillips just aren't good enough. We can't let a team as good as Italy run at our centre backs the way Denmark were able to.

Forwards: Chiesa and Insigne are good but are they good enough to beat a back four as good as ours? Plus, quality drops off quickly on their bench. We have better players but i dont expect us to do much until we bring them on towards the end. I think that will be where we win the game, if we do. Chiellini and Bonucci are great players and can manage a pacey attacker, but four of them with the pace and agility of Grealish, Sancho, Sterling and Rashford is just too much, especially with fresh legs late in the game.

Strikers: Chiellini and Bonucci have dealt with far better players than Kane over the years and Immobile will be no trouble for Maguire and Stones. I don't expect much from either side's strikers.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Seeing Liverpool, City, Chelsea win leagues and CLs (not you City!) and then England win a major tournament is possibly my worst nightmare as a football fan. Happy for the English fans on the Caf of course but for my sanity I'm going to have my fingers crossed for Italy.

However I think England with the Wembley fans behind them will win this 2-1 in 90 mins.
I literally couldn't have imagined a better summer than this, if England win on Sunday. I was in euphoric daze for weeks after the CL final win, and now we're one game away from winning the fecking euros.

slored1

Setting up to be a fantastic final. England are the favourites, but it could go either way. Curious to see, whether Saka starts again as he was poor for two straight games. For Italy, the biggest question is if they stick with Immobile or switch to Belotti.