Final: Italy vs England

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I don't like the team but I knew I wouldn't. Say we're level with half an hour to go, with our bench? Brilliant place to be if he uses it correctly.
Not a bad idea, try to tire an older Italy team, put on Saka and/or Grealish and switch to a 4231. Though I doubt Southgate will take Sterling off, so we may see only one of those two. The English bench sure looks better than the Italy bench.

GMoore23

If going 5 at the back, surely there's no need for Mount. Sancho or Grealish should have started in his place.

Houdini

The last time there was so many Italians was during The Roman Empire.

Dante

Average bang
Sterling-----------Kane

Mount

Rice--------Philips

Shaw-------------------------------Trippier

Maguire--Stones--Walker

Pickford​

The lack of width in the front 3 is something new for England.

Unlike the Germany game, the wingbacks are going to have to provide all the width.

GMoore23

Mount is also a 'defensive attacker' in that he's very good at tracking back.

That's why he's there at the start
That's exactly my point, what's the need of a defensive attacker when you have 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders on the pitch. Are they going to try and bore Italy to death.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Best of luck everyone. Hope Southgate has it right with Trippier and the back five.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So if we win today with a team again widely criticised will we finally give Southgate credit?

Sylar

So if we win today with a team again widely criticised will we finally give Southgate credit?
He deserves credit to getting to the final no matter the route but yeah he deserves it, if he can beat this Italian team

Nogbadthebad

That's exactly my point, what's the need of a defensive attacker when you have 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders on the pitch. Are they going to try and bore Italy to death.
Southgate seems to like to be as defensive as possible from the start, then add pace later in the game

That is why he picks the defensive forward.

I think we could take the game to italy better with sancho, rashford or saka adding pace, but you can't argue with his results so far.

Berbasbullet

No chance.

would be despite Southgate.

A decent manager would have won with much more style.
True, I remember arguing with some moron who told me that even if we beat Croatia that starting 11 was the wrong one. :lol: people just can’t admit when they are wrong.

He deserves credit to getting to the final no matter the route but yeah he deserves it, if he can beat this Italian team
Completely agree, win or lose he’s been brilliant, I say that as someone who thought he wasn’t very good even after the World Cup.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Depends how we win. Can't help but feel that we're inviting way too much pressure on our back line with this formation. But we have some excellent reinforcements on the bench to bring on (if Southgate bothers too) later in the game. Personally feel that Italy will go ahead and we're going to struggle for the majority of the game until we begin to throw the kitchen sink at them. If it reaches pens, we're done for. But i'm confident we can score in extra time. I'm just not confident that we can stop Italy in the first 90minutes.

3vra

Seriously what Mount is good at? Why is he being picked game after game. He is not a good dribbler, he is not creating anything he is not goalscorer, what does he bring to that team ? He played much more then Grealish and did not have any impact. Do not get It.

Berbasbullet

Depends how we win. Can't help but feel that we're inviting way too much pressure on our back line with this formation. But we have some excellent reinforcements on the bench to bring on (if Southgate bothers too) later in the game. Personally feel that Italy will go ahead and we're going to struggle for the majority of the game until we begin to throw the kitchen sink at them. If it reaches pens, we're done for. But i'm confident we can score in extra time. I'm just not confident that we can stop Italy in the first 90minutes.
Fair enough mate, I agree tbf it’s not the line up I pick, but I have faith in the manager and team to get it right. But if we win today with a lineup the rest of us wouldn’t have picked maybe we can admit he knows more. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seriously what Mount is good at? Why is he being picked game after game. He is not a good dribbler, he is not creating anything he is not goalscorer, what does he bring to that team ? He played much more then Grealish and did not have any impact. Do not get It.
He will sit on Jorginho and probably best equipped to do that, just have to see if it works as if it does that's a big dent in well oiled Italian machine that's got them 30 + games unbeaten.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I guess we will have to but I’ll always have the doubts of ‘what if’ we had a more attacking manager. There’s still so much talent in this team yet to be unleashed, but maybe it’s naive to expect us to show that and instead we should be happy with the awful football that delivers results.

Highfather_24

So playing with 5 defenders, two DMs. And not even 3 attackers, rather choosing the AM who is the most industrious. Even Moyes would find that too "conservative" (not calling it cowardly because triggers people). And this is with the squad with the most stacked attacking options. But well, what do I know.
I think Italy will be happy to see 5 at the back, even if the England ploy works and they concede on the counter.
Why?

Berbasbullet

I guess we will have to but I’ll always have the doubts of ‘what if’ we had a more attacking manager. There’s still so much talent in this team yet to be unleashed, but maybe it’s naive to expect us to show that and instead we should be happy with the awful football that delivers results.
I don’t understand how you can have a ‘what if’ if we win the title?

I do think tournament football you have to be pragmatic.

Robertd0803

Interesting line up. Whatever about going 5 at the back, going with Mount instead of one the faster options up front is definitley eyebrow raising.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah same, we could have feckin smashed teams and make a statement, instead we've kinds limped through, maybe had some decent scores but never just sorta, battered anyone.

If that's what it takes to win a tournament then, so be it though I suppose.

Anduin

Not sure whether that line-up is spot on. Press the Italians, they will tire and already looked tired since the game against us Austrians. I’d slightly favor England if Italy aren’t ahead by half-time. Full on England’s side in this one, come on ENG!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Mount is going to be pressing Jorginho like a person possessed. It's the obvious decision considering they're playing the same formation he plays for his club so well.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Good close control. Needed against a team so good at keeping it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The Italian's don't have many tall players outside of their 2 CBs. Hopefully we can exploit that on set pieces.

King Kay

Supports
Chelsea
I seriously don't get this obsession with Grealish. I'm yet to see any impact from him whenever he comes on (just like Sancho) yet some people keep clamouring for him like Southgate got a Messi sitting on the bench. He's nothing special get over it. Mount clearly has a role in this setup that works for the manager who keeps picking him and is deserving of his spot in the team that is now in the final of the Euros. I thought people were way past this. Sorry you don't get to see your shinny dribblers but Southgate is there to win.

Superunknown

The midfield worries me. Gotta hope that the trio of Mount, Rice, and Philips is tight enough to stop Italy playing through.

My head and heart are saying two different things, atm. Would love it if Rashford came on to get the winner. :drool:

Dante

Average bang
What takeaways are everybody ordering? I've got an 'It's Coming Home' meal deal on the way:

Chicken burger, double patter smash burger, 2 portions of fries, wings and diet coke

It's meant to be a meal for two.