Final: Italy vs England

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What takeaways are everybody ordering? I've got an 'It's Coming Home' meal deal on the way:

Chicken burger, double patter smash burger, 2 portions of fries, wings and diet coke

It's meant to be a meal for two.
I just destroyed a lasagne in honour of the way our boys are going to destroy the Italians tonight.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
He will sit on Jorginho and probably best equipped to do that, just have to see if it works as if it does that's a big dent in well oiled Italian machine that's got them 30 + games unbeaten.
Yeah, Mount is basically going to do what Pedri did brillantly, but I guess Mancini will have prepare an answer for that. It will be an interesting battle.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Seriously what Mount is good at? Why is he being picked game after game. He is not a good dribbler, he is not creating anything he is not goalscorer, what does he bring to that team ? He played much more then Grealish and did not have any impact. Do not get It.
Well, he's one of the first names on the team sheet for the current champions of Europe, so he must have something.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The midfield worries me. Gotta hope that the trio of Mount, Rice, and Philips is tight enough to stop Italy playing through.

My head and heart are saying two different things, atm. Would love it if Rashford came on to get the winner. :drool:
To be honest I’m less worried about that midfield than I would be with England’s supposed golden generation midfield. Mount has the legs to do a good job on their deep lying playmaker and still contribute in attack, whilst Rice and Philips have it in them to nullify the attacking midfield.

Dante

Average bang
A bit chaotic at the stadium already apparently? Fans without tickets barging in?
They got past the first set of barriers, but apparently haven't got into the stadium.

It's soft touch policing to keep big crowds from all rioting at the same time. The ones who barged past security will be getting charged in the morning.

They got past the first set of barriers, but apparently haven't got into the stadium.

It's soft touch policing to keep big crowds from all rioting at the same time. The ones who barged past security will be getting charged in the morning.
unless they have a grinder, they aren’t gettinginto the stadium

Mike Smalling

Feels like maybe England have missed a trick by not playing Saka again? Emerson is not great defensively, so he could potentially have made some damage down the left with his pace and trickery. He even did quite well against Denmark.

izec

This will be a borefest. I expect Italy to have more possession, but ultimately, this will go to ET, as England are going safety first

lex talionis

This sets up as a “genius if he wins but a moron if he loses” starting XI by Southgate.

Cohesion rises above talent, but my god Gareth is leaving a lot of talent wasted on the bench.

Superunknown

The bench is crazy. There's so much talent there. Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, Saka, Henderson, Calvert-Lewin, Bellingham, James. There's so much talent there to come on if we need it, which we probably will.

lex talionis

The bench is crazy. There's so much talent there. Rashford, Sancho, Grealish, Saka, Henderson, Calvert-Lewin, Bellingham, James. There's so much talent there to come on if we need it, which we probably will.
If we need to scramble for an equalizer, we’re fekked. You can trust Italy to hold onto a lead to the final whistle.

Not sure whether that line-up is spot on. Press the Italians, they will tire and already looked tired since the game against us Austrians. I’d slightly favor England if Italy aren’t ahead by half-time. Full on England’s side in this one, come on ENG!
This is what I've been thinking. Italy have until about 60-70 minutes to beat us.

That lineup worries me though. Why change how we have been playing all tournament? I know why he's doing it, to park the bus and wait for our subs, but it's a risky move.

Bestofthebest

I have a terrible feeling that England will not finish with eleven players on the pitch. These Italians are past masters at controlling the game through the referee.

Superunknown

If we need to scramble for an equalizer, we’re fekked. You can trust Italy to hold onto a lead to the final whistle.
That's why I totally get the logic of keep things tight (maybe even if it makes it a boring game) for so long before going for the winner. The longer we can keep it 0-0, the more I think we can bring someone off the bench to get the goal.

JustAGuest

This will be a borefest. I expect Italy to have more possession, but ultimately, this will go to ET, as England are going safety first
Yeah, not expecting many chances at all. I just hope the referee will not be the talking point afterwards.

UncleBob

I have a terrible feeling that England will not finish with eleven players on the pitch. These Italians are past masters at controlling the game through the referee.
Sterlings dive against Everton, resulting in a penalty, says hi

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nesta :eek:

I’ve not seen him in probably 12/13 years, so strange seeing seeing players I consider “my era” moving into middle age :(

TrustInOle

As soon as they started playing Three Lions, it started bouncing down with rain near me...as soon as the song stopped, SO did the rain......what does this mean! :nervous:

hobbers

Jenas vs Matterface...

Well I hate Jenas but anything is better than Matterface.

Mike Smalling

Danish experts having a right go at Pickford :lol:

"A miracle if you can win the Euro's with him in goal". Bit harsh.

Superunknown

To be honest I’m less worried about that midfield than I would be with England’s supposed golden generation midfield. Mount has the legs to do a good job on their deep lying playmaker and still contribute in attack, whilst Rice and Philips have it in them to nullify the attacking midfield.
Can't argue with that. Suddenly, there's a been a change when a manager has chosen a system and then players to play that system, rather than a "names first" basis. Southgate has done the right thing throughout the tournament in this regard. I was a little bit worried in that last game about the "limit" of a Rice + Philips midfield and whether we've already seen it at its best. They're going to have to go another level higher tonight, but it looks like they've got it in them to do it.