Fiorentina’s captain Astori dead

Prodigy24

Truly terrible news. Only 31 years old, fit athlete doing what he loves, and then suddently just pass away while sleeping. Life really is unpredictable. RIP. :(

InfiniteBoredom

How is that possible though? Just 31 and an athlete, can't get any healthier than that.. Anyway Rip.
One of my very close friend back in middle school passed away 4 years ago in similar circumstances. Early 20s, athletic, then just passed away in his sleep, respiratory problem.

C'est la vie.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Great player, shocked to hear of the news, thoughts go out to his family and Firenze

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
According to reports he didn't turn up for Breakfast so some of his team mates went up to his room, smashed in the door and found him on the bed. :wenger:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Reminder to live everyday well, shocking stuff. Terribly sad.

Sanche7

Very sad thing to hear and RIP.
And @Fortitude and @BAMSOLA,med student here and to answer your question without being too geeky, athletes are prone to Sudden Cardiac Death.
They may have an undiagnosed Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, ( which is commonly inherited )
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, although not usually fatal, is the most common cause of heart-related sudden death in people under 30. It leads to Arrhythmias and sudden cardiac death.
It's the most common identifiable cause of sudden death in athletes.

Reactions: Fortitude

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
Always hits a bit harder when it's a young athlete. Young fit and a hero. Tragic RIP

Schneckerl

Absolutely awful. Sadly I had to experience someone passing away in such fashion.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
my word, RIP.

What could possibly happen to a perfectly fit man to cause him to die in his sleep at 31?

thoughts go out to his family.
Likely to be something like ‘adult sudden death syndrome’ which is usually an undiagnosed heart problem

Kapardin

Too young to go. You gotta wonder what dreadful condition takes one away at such an age.

Hope his family recovers from this terrible loss.

PoTMS

RIP. 31 is no age to go. If an apparently healthy fit sportsman can die in his sleep, God help the rest of us. As a religious person, it also reminds me how close we are to death. feck.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Likely to be something like ‘adult sudden death syndrome’ which is usually an undiagnosed heart problem
Sounds likely, however the most worrying thing is that Serie A has had a heart screening program in place since at least the mid 90's I believe and its how Kanu's heart valve issue was picked up whilst he was at Inter.

Camilo

Crazy how these things just happen to athletes who presumably have their health checked and re-checked all the time.. Shame for the family.

Pass and Move

And @Fortitude and @BAMSOLA,med student here and to answer your question without being too geeky, athletes are prone to Sudden Cardiac Death.
They may have an undiagnosed Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, ( which is commonly inherited )
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, although not usually fatal, is the most common cause of heart-related sudden death in people under 30. It leads to Arrhythmias and sudden cardiac death.
Perhaps you know, any idea if this is more common amongst athletes than ‘regular’ healthy people? Often wondered whether it’s like cars, a highly tuned engine will outperform a standard one, but would be more susceptible to failure due to the higher stresses of essentially similar componentary.

Sad news in any case, hope his little one gets told lots of great stories about who his dad was.

CM

Tragic news. Apparently he had a two week old child as well, which makes it even worse.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Perhaps you know, any idea if this is more common amongst athletes than ‘regular’ healthy people? Often wondered whether it’s like cars, a highly tuned engine will outperform a standard one, but would be more susceptible to failure due to the higher stresses of essentially similar componentary.

Sad news in any case, hope his little one gets told lots of great stories about who his dad was.
I suspect it’s more that we hear about it more because they’re in the public eye. I suspect there are lots of ordinary joes passing away with similar symptoms

Silas

RIP. Can't imagine what the family are going through.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I suspect it’s more that we hear about it more because they’re in the public eye. I suspect there are lots of ordinary joes passing away with similar symptoms
And it is still isn't like it's happening very often in athletes either, so makes sense that if the rate was similar in regular people you wouldn't have many if any cases around you.

What a tragedy. He was supposed to play today and he's no longer there. I can't even imagine what his teammates and family are going through.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I first heard about that condition, when after a terrible half marathon a few years back (having previously done loads well), I was basically "gone" from half way and pretty much collapssed over the line and spent 30mins in the med tent.
They put me under tonnes of tests for a whole year, with this condition above being their real fear. One where you can just suddenly "Go". They actually made me haul my old parents in to see if they had it, as per your comment on inheritance.

I suppose the difficulty is it's not always that easy to see from tests if someone has this condition, as when you're "very fit" your readings will be different to "normal" people, your heart can enlarge and suchlike. It took a second MRI a good 6months on for them to finally give me the all clear.

Such a tragedy though. An ex class mate died in his sleep at 32, which was a major shock. The "real" reason for that came to light a year or so after though, which were not condition related at all, but an unfortunate "lifestyle" choice he'd taken under stress.
Am sure there's nothing like that with a super fit, top class pro footballer though.