Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris | 15th April 2019

Dante

Average bang
I consider Notre Dame to be a museum rather than a place of worship. It's a place to see art and history (not least in the architecture itself). The same goes for most other churches/cathedrals/mosques/temples.

It's not something I'd cry over, but it is worthy of reconstruction.

I can see where some people are coming from in the sense that art is not more important than more humane causes. But art is intrinsically linked to what makes us human in the first place. We're not emotionless automatons - culture (and cultures) are important enough to us as species to be worth saving/preserving. In fact, there's a case to be made that without culture, there'd be no society and by consequence no civilisation.

Symbols matter to our shared experience, even if you don't necessarily agree with their provenance.

I'm saying this as an Atheist stuffing my face with chocolate eggs on Good Friday, so it'd be hypocritical not to believe that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If you've seen the stuff being shared then you'll realise it is daft. If you don't think so then I have no words.

I also said the complete opposite of it being justified in the other post you quoted. I simply said I understand why it's happening. Come on, comprehension before trying to call me out.

Not sure what the last bit has to do with what I said either, other than it's another stupid comparison.
The last bit has to do with why people are posting "daft" means. As far as I know, I've only seen people make comparisons to similar landmarks and events across the globe that received no attention or funding.

Far more historical and meaningful sites just burned down to the ground receiving nothing more than a footnote in the media. It just exposes this divide that the west has created for themselves as more important citizens.

EDIT: and the people treating this like some massive world tragedy. Give me a break. This Notre Dam thing again just exposes those who live a sheltered life.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The last bit has to do with why people are posting "daft" means. As far as I know, I've only seen people make comparisons to similar landmarks and events across the globe that received no attention or funding.

Far more historical and meaningful sites just burned down to the ground receiving nothing more than a footnote in the media. It just exposes this divide that the west has created for themselves as more important citizens.

EDIT: and the people treating this like some massive world tragedy. Give me a break. This Notre Dam thing again just exposes those who live a sheltered life.
Again though, it’s because of people’s connection to the place (even if just from visiting), locality, most people knowing about the cathedral since being a kid etc.
So many people love to ignore this and look at it with black and white faux-logic and some strange bitter view though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Also let’s not forget the people who are so annoyed about it all are calling out others for being upset or whatever. Many of these others will also be devastated and saddened by the other events that are now being thrown in people’s faces. It’s not one or the other.

Too many are desperate to be annoyed at someone.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
It's one thing to care about it but the overreaction towards this and complete lack of coverage towards more historical buildings is just an indication of the naive and selfish outlook western media/societies have.

Also the fact that billionaires rushed to give I dont know how much money to France but not even 1/8th of the amount would go towards a historic nation that cant afford a rebuild (Yemen or Syria) speaks volumes.

I knew this would happen. As soon as the thing caught fire I was sad but told my friend just watch how western media spins this as some sort of mass murder.

You talk about “complete lack of coverage towards more historical buildings” Which buildings are you referring to here? And which “far more historical and meaningful sites” have “just burned down to the ground?”

Last edited:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I think what I’ve enjoyed most is the people on my Facebook moaning about people’s choice of where they donate, when I don’t think they’ve ever donated to anything in their life

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I think what I’ve enjoyed most is the people on my Facebook moaning about people’s choice of where they donate, when I don’t think they’ve ever donated to anything in their life
The problem is that if 3 people can donate hundreds of millions in a few hours then it means they also have the ability to solve homelessness and hunger and other issues, they just dont care about that stuff. What is says is that these people have far too much money that they didnt earn and it needs to be taken back via taxes or nationalization and then spent democratically. Theres no reason that a more just society shouldnt support the arts and build cool buildings, but whether people live or die or historic buildings exist or not shouldnt be at the whim of billionaires.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The problem is that if 3 people can donate hundreds of millions in a few hours then it means they also have the ability to solve homelessness and hunger and other issues, they just dont care about that stuff. What is says is that these people have far too much money that they didnt earn and it needs to be taken back via taxes or nationalization and then spent democratically. Theres no reason that a more just society shouldnt support the arts and build cool buildings, but whether people live or die or historic buildings exist or not shouldnt be at the whim of billionaires.
I’m not disagreeing with you, the people I’m talking about are the ones moaning at normal people like themselves, not the billionaires.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
What is says is that these people have far too much money that they didnt earn and it needs to be taken back via taxes or nationalization and then spent democratically. Theres no reason that a more just society shouldnt support the arts and build cool buildings, but whether people live or die or historic buildings exist or not shouldnt be at the whim of billionaires.
Ah, more robin hood solutions from the man himself! This is not the thread for your usual delusions.

Vatican is the richest religion in the world and pretty much earns tax free income. I don't see why they can't fund these themselves. I'm sure people would contribute more to Church for these renovations/upkeep. Vatican alone earns more than $100m tax free every year!

Tax the religious donations and use them to fix the historical buildings.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Again though, it’s because of people’s connection to the place (even if just from visiting), locality, most people knowing about the cathedral since being a kid etc.
So many people love to ignore this and look at it with black and white faux-logic and some strange bitter view though.
Well half the people on my newsfeed didn't have a clue about Notre Dam before this other than it being a tourist attraction in France. Also the "pray for France" stuff... what does that have to do with being close to the cathedral?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well half the people on my newsfeed didn't have a clue about Notre Dam before this other than it being a tourist attraction in France. Also the "pray for France" stuff... what does that have to do with being close to the cathedral?
This isn't what I was talking about though?
Pray for France is stupid as feck.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Ah, more robin hood solutions from the man himself! This is not the thread for your usual delusions.

Vatican is the richest religion in the world and pretty much earns tax free income. I don't see why they can't fund these themselves. I'm sure people would contribute more to Church for these renovations/upkeep. Vatican alone earns more than $100m tax free every year!

Tax the religious donations and use them to fix the historical buildings.
I beleive, notre dam doesn't belong to the church, but the state of France but yes, agree with the church and with funding the reconstruction when there are more pressing matters. Priorities

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Im assuming you're refering to me, since the post you quoted was a response to one of mine. So im curious, what facts and evidence have I disregarded? I don't disregard anything by default or automatically without dissection.
You glossed over Carolina Red's response. You also completely ignored Bury Red's post. ;)

He/she explained the huge advancements these structures brought to our knowledge in the engineering and architectural realms. This seems to have largely passed you by however. You also seem to assume that the people at the time didn't share both in the enthusiasm for the construction and in the desire to build something magnificent. It's easy to see that you're stuck on the motivation behind the projects as opposed to the effect of their existence.

Following on from that you claim that these edifices took up resources which could've gone towards other technological advances, and that it's partly because of them that 'we are so far behind in our progress as humans'. Where's your evidence for this claim? I don't have a progress-o-meter, but can you pinpoint exactly where we'd be right now if not for religion as a whole?

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I beleive, notre dam doesn't belong to the church, but the state of France but yes, agree with the church and with funding the reconstruction when there are more pressing matters. Priorities
Notre Dame belongs to the state but Paris diocese uses it for free in exchange of its maintenance.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The more I think about it the more I agree. Billionaires rich from the work of others choosing to spend their money on such a symbol for the PR or back slaps. Reminiscent of the likes of Warren Buffett and Rick Gates choosing their charities.

Loublaze

ATLien
You glossed over Carolina Red's response. You also completely ignored Bury Red's post. ;)

He/she explained the huge advancements these structures brought to our knowledge in the engineering and architectural realms. This seems to have largely passed you by however. You also seem to assume that the people at the time didn't share both in the enthusiasm for the construction and in the desire to build something magnificent. It's easy to see that you're stuck on the motivation behind the projects as opposed to the effect of their existence.

Following on from that you claim that these edifices took up resources which could've gone towards other technological advances, and that it's partly because of them that 'we are so far behind in our progress as humans'. Where's your evidence for this claim? I don't have a progress-o-meter, but can you pinpoint exactly where we'd be right now if not for religion as a whole?
I haven't yet signed up to view the material NC suggested, and i've included a response for RB. Do you have any other evidence of your own I can peruse at my own leisure? Im not discounting anything and im open to learning new things. Even when I was Catholic, my understanding has always been that the church slowed down the progress of science and natural philosophy if it challenged their authority and faith at large.

I don't have a progress meter either, but im not going to sit here and believe the church was a true champion for progressive ideas when so many freethinkers were deemed heretics and executed or suppressed. The motivation behind the projects and their long lasting negative effects on mankind far outweigh the effects of their existence in my strong opinion.

I can't answer your question about where we would be if not for religion, but i'd like to think it would be a much more advanced place. A place at least where logic and science takes precedence over blind faith, adult imaginary friends, witchhunts, crusades, and excuses for murder, hate and genocide.

A very bizarre view, even the atheist in me must disagree but the Engineer in me is too busy laughing his ass off to let him out.

Buildings like Notre Dame challenged what we could do with the materials available to us and the desire to go taller and thinner that was epitomised in the construction of practically all cathedrals culminating in the gothic masterpieces led to our present understanding of structural mechanics and the need for full understanding of both the material and the form to ensure safe and economical structures are built. Without the money available from the church, deluded as the donors may have been and corrupt as the organisations behind them, we would still be sitting in single storey mud huts.

The church was a major backer and supporter of much of mankind's development through to the renaissance and other than the odd episodes like disputing evolution or questioning Galileo's hypotheses has never really stood in the way of technological advancement.
Great post, and thanks for the response. Im curious to know how the far eastern engineers and ancient Roman engineers influenced the present understanding of structural mechanics. Im not disagreeing with the last part of your response but I think you're being a bit kind to the Catholics. They were more than just odd episodes :lol:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Inappropriate joke
Why didn't god put the fire out?
Maybe it was Fire from Heaven in anger at the depravity of his soldiers.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Why didn't god put the fire out?
Maybe it was Fire from Heaven in anger at the depravity of his soldiers.
What a ridiculous post. Do you pretend to be funny? or just attract attention by saying something out of place

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There isn’t just the case that the money donated to the cathedral instead of living issues is a concern, but that the money is only donated when this occurs. Why is the heritage sector and those who work as conservators, archaeologists etc so underpaid and then we wonder why sometimes buildings fall into disarray and with the potential to succumb to disaster. If this money wasn’t donated but distributed into society then the people that will now be part of the restoration process will be valued more as well as other world issues aside from a historic building.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
There isn’t just the case that the money donated to the cathedral instead of living issues is a concern, but that the money is only donated when this occurs. Why is the heritage sector and those who work as conservators, archaeologists etc so underpaid and then we wonder why sometimes buildings fall into disarray and with the potential to succumb to disaster. If this money wasn’t donated but distributed into society then the people that will now be part of the restoration process will be valued more as well as other world issues aside from a historic building.
Good point, I work with heritage professionals and the sector is really under resourced, its treated like a footnote.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
What a ridiculous post. Do you pretend to be funny? or just attract attention by saying something out of place
Not funny. Serious. It's a fecking horrible organization that robs people and hides paedophiles.

NoLogo

Not funny. Serious. It's a fecking horrible organization that robs people and hides paedophiles.
Can't deny that but I thought it was still sad seeing such an amazingly beautiful building on fire. On the other hand no one really got hurt and buildings damaged much worse were rebuild, so I'm confident it will get restored to it's former beauty.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
So what I’d like to know is how much the Vatican will contribute towards rebuild of one of its most iconic buildings?
Notre Dame is owned by the French government and not the Catholic Church, contrary to popular opinion.

In 1905, a French law was passed stating the cathedral was now the property of the French State.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...tholic-church-vatican-cost-rebuild-renovation
Seems to be up to the French to pay for the repairs although I’m not sure why the Insurance companies aren’t paying. Unless it wasn’t insured.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Serious or not you're churlish and disrespectful.
You had a week to make the joke but curiously the "why your god does not avoid a catastrophe" appears shortly after knowing the events of Sri Lanka.
I think that you did it in bad faith.
Pedophilia and the plenty of Vatican mistakes has nothing to do with disrespecting a god or a faith.
If you want to piss off at least be brave and do it here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/series-of-blasts-in-sri-lanka-killing-200.446714/#post-24001635

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Agreed. I'd rather 100 Notre Dames burn down to the ground than one baby dying of starvation.

That over one billion is raised so quickly for a building while there are human tragedies all over the world that don't get a fraction of this, is just truly disgusting.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Agreed. I'd rather 100 Notre Dames burn down to the ground than one baby dying of starvation.

That over one billion is raised so quickly for a building while there are human tragedies all over the world that don't get a fraction of this, is just truly disgusting.
What if it was baby Hitler

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Last edited: