Floods in Germany and Belgium | dozens dead and more missing

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Climate change is real
Really glad to see this in just the second post in this thread, with what has been going on on the west coast of the states and Canada, these floods, I only hope that people begin to take climate change a lot more seriously.

Some countries, like Indonesia (the floods in Kalimantan earlier this year came after the area experienced 9 times the average rainfall) have been feeling the effects of serious climate change for a few years now, but now western countries are experiencing the changes more attitudes may finally change, I have high hopes for COP26.

Rooney24

Living in Switzerland and it hasn’t stopped raining for about a month. Lakes are at high levels and rivers are bursting. I know from friends in Germany it’s obviously a lot worse there especially in the area around Luxembourg and Belgium.

this is the worst summer I can remember. Had hail a few weeks ago and it was honestly the stereotypical sized golf balls. Climate change is definitely real

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Death toll in Germany rises to 81 and there's still hundreds missing. Almost as much water came down that day as in 3 months on average.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Some additional facts:
In many areas, mobile/internet connections do not work, hence the high number of people still missing. Yet many more deaths are to be expected.
Dams' structures are starting to get compromised by the pressure. Some are overflowing, but most cases are not too dangerous at the moment at least.
Massive rise of collapses of buildings. The water washes down the sometimes sandy-ish ground and the integrity is immediately compromised, leading to quick collapses in the last hours. To add to that, there are cases where gas is starting to leak due to the structural damages in some gas lines.
Designated chancelor and prime minister of Nordrhein-Westfalen travels to the affected region and wants to come across very statesman-ish. He's a cnut of the highest order.
The Bundeswehr is getting deployed to help evacuate people.
Officials say the catastrophy came by surprise, no one expected those dimensions. Whatever that means.

My own conclusion is to make my place more safe for these floods. Although I'm not sure whether it's possible to really do something significant in that regard if wheather hits you that hard. I've seen pictures of regions where the water is several meters high from the ground. Not much point in having water pumps in your own house working..Gotta inform myself, though. Losing this house would be absolutely crushing on all levels. The amount of work I've put in this place, jesus...and all those poor people that are affected at the moment feel that way, if not much worse because they lost loved ones. Absolute horror.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Some additional facts:
In many areas, mobile/internet connections do not work, hence the high number of people still missing. Yet many more deaths are to be expected.
Dams' structures are starting to get compromised by the pressure. Some are overflowing, but most cases are not too dangerous at the moment at least.
Massive rise of collapses of buildings. The water washes down the sometimes sandy-ish ground and the integrity is immediately compromised, leading to quick collapses in the last hours. To add to that, there are cases where gas is starting to leak due to the structural damages in some gas lines.
Designated chancelor and prime minister of Nordrhein-Westfalen travels to the affected region and wants to come across very statesman-ish. He's a cnut of the highest order.
The Bundeswehr is getting deployed to help evacuate people.
Officials say the catastrophy came by surprise, no one expected those dimensions. Whatever that means.
You're the German, where efficiency and engineering is at its best.

I think what he meant is that this amount of water is force majeure type of disaster, not some engineering or city planning error. Which sadly I can't say for Indonesian, most flood are human made stupidity.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04

I think what he meant is that this amount of water is force majeure type of disaster, not some engineering or city planning error. Which sadly I can't say for Indonesian, most flood are human made stupidity.
Unfortunately it's only partially true nowadays. There are still sectors where german efficiency and engineering is up there with the best, but the days of hegemony in many fields is in the past. Many other countries have closed/are closing the gap and are able to produce at much lower costs, which makes many products which germany is famous for inefficient in themselves. Also, there's many scandals and failures in recent history; just look at the Berliner Flughafen. Big yikes, this project is one of the biggest architectural failures in Europe and one of the biggest embarrassments for a technological country like germany.

I know he meant that it's not a planning error. But in the context of climate change, I feel like these statements should always mention that it was and is pretty predictable that drastic weather incidents like these will happen and are more likely to happen due to climate change. And I think if we take climate change and how it will affect central Europe seriously, there should be more actions taken to prevent these catastrophies from happening. Better drainage systems, more regulations for newly built houses (in terms of technical features) in high risk areas and what not. Our government plans and awful lot, as I personally know from my job it basically plans everything it can with a laughable amount of work put into it. When I had to do my time and work for the local government (mandatory stuff to become a lawyer in germany), I witnessed 6 city officials work and talk for (hours combined over several days) about 8 hours each to specify whether a traffic sign should be placed there, there or here. And this was no special sign at all. Just something you see hundreds of times every day if you drive for 20 minutes or so. My point being, we're definitely not efficient when it comes to our government. On the contrary, I think it's one of the most inefficient ones in the world and it has become some kind of unemployed prevention campaign. People working there just for the sake of working. And my example is just a small fraction of what's actually happening on a daily basis. You can not imagine how much is wasted here in terms of ressources/work power.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ahrweiler, a more rural district just south of Bonn, is reporting 1300 people missing. That's 1% of their population. Though hopefully most of that number is just because cellular network outages.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I emailed the guy we stay with when we travel to Nurburg to check in with him and haven’t heard back from him yet, I’m really hoping it’s because of the internet being down.

Nature is a force to be reckoned with, it’s about time world leaders start taking climate change way more seriously.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
I emailed the guy we stay with when we travel to Nurburg to check in with him and haven’t heard back from him yet, I’m really hoping it’s because of the internet being down.

Nature is a force to be reckoned with, it’s about time world leaders start taking climate change way more seriously.
I think those dinosaurs generations have to die out before anything of relevance can actually happen. Change is hard as is, but it's extremely unlikely that anybody 35-40 and older will make major lifestyle changes. A truely global effort is also not something I expect to happen with China, Russia and the US. Also treshold countries are rightfully pissed that once they developed some economic power, they have to make major adjustments (which are very expensive most of the times) because of a problem mostly caused by the few richest countries on earth. When it comes to climate change, I am very pessimistic. There's no true will to at least try to prevent it from happening in such a drastic way that this planet becomes uninhabitable for humans. Na man, individuals should do what they can and adjust accordingly, but it's absolutely unrealistic that the extreme changes that need to be done will be done ever. Planet is fecked longterm (human time scale). Once the planet's feaver has wiped enough parasitcal life out, there will be new.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
RTL, really? You should also mention that it's in German and people might be geo blocked.
Why not RTL? If you want an overview of a certain topic, it's not as bad to use as people think. You just need to know that if you want actual in depth information, you're wrong there. The media we have at hand is absolutely fine if you know how to use it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why not RTL? If you want an overview of a certain topic, it's not as bad to use as people think. You just need to know that if you want actual in depth information, you're wrong there. The media we have at hand is absolutely fine if you know how to use it.
What you're saying isn't wrong, but when I ask myself "what can I link on an English forum to explain the situation" RTL still wouldn't be very far up my list.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Unfortunately it's only partially true nowadays. There are still sectors where german efficiency and engineering is up there with the best, but the days of hegemony in many fields is in the past. Many other countries have closed/are closing the gap and are able to produce at much lower costs, which makes many products which germany is famous for inefficient in themselves. Also, there's many scandals and failures in recent history; just look at the Berliner Flughafen. Big yikes, this project is one of the biggest architectural failures in Europe and one of the biggest embarrassments for a technological country like germany.

I know he meant that it's not a planning error. But in the context of climate change, I feel like these statements should always mention that it was and is pretty predictable that drastic weather incidents like these will happen and are more likely to happen due to climate change. And I think if we take climate change and how it will affect central Europe seriously, there should be more actions taken to prevent these catastrophies from happening. Better drainage systems, more regulations for newly built houses (in terms of technical features) in high risk areas and what not. Our government plans and awful lot, as I personally know from my job it basically plans everything it can with a laughable amount of work put into it. When I had to do my time and work for the local government (mandatory stuff to become a lawyer in germany), I witnessed 6 city officials work and talk for (hours combined over several days) about 8 hours each to specify whether a traffic sign should be placed there, there or here. And this was no special sign at all. Just something you see hundreds of times every day if you drive for 20 minutes or so. My point being, we're definitely not efficient when it comes to our government. On the contrary, I think it's one of the most inefficient ones in the world and it has become some kind of unemployed prevention campaign. People working there just for the sake of working. And my example is just a small fraction of what's actually happening on a daily basis. You can not imagine how much is wasted here in terms of ressources/work power.
Very insightful. Thank you. Stay safe. My thoughts and prayers with you all

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
What you're saying isn't wrong, but when I ask myself "what can I link on an English forum to explain the situation" RTL still wouldn't be very far up my list.
Haha, absolutely true! Most links to a video completely in german wouldn't be that high on my list for that matter, though.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Very insightful. Thank you. Stay safe. My thoughts and prayers with you all
Thanks, I'm not affected at all so far. Very common weather here without anything special, although it has to be said that it has rained quite a bit recently. But it's completely in the normal and usual ranges. Luckily, my house is located quite well in that regard, which is mostly luck. All of our neighbors had (minor) water damages in the last 2 decades, while we didn't even have a single drop come into the cellar. No concrete or the likes being close to the house is great as well, I think that's a big factor for our situation. In any case, I will start prepping a bit soon.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders

A lot of German engineering from the past has cramped up the rivers, leaving little room for extra water. That was the main cause of floods in the 90's and 2000's I doubt that has all been changed yet. Governments and media and very eager to blame this all on climate change and use for promotion of the EU's undemocratic green deal that makes the citizens pay for letting big industry, China and globalization in general off the hook. I don't say climate change has nothing to with it, but it's probably a bit more complicated than that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Fecking hell. Almost a hundred confirmed dead now in Germany.

The images from the floods in Liège are really disturbing. My family there are safe luckily as they live in the northern parts of the city itself but they all know friends whose homes have been damaged (severely or beyond repair).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This is heartbreaking and incredibly shocking.
It feels like the world is crumbling before our eyes every other day as a result of climate change, and we're just sat by watching billionaires launch themselves to space for funsies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Just heard back from him, thankfully he’s fine and his house hasn’t had any damage, but lots of people very close by have suffered much worse and there are several people still missing as well as some confirmed killed.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

Fecking hell. Almost a hundred confirmed dead now in Germany.

The images from the floods in Liège are really disturbing. My family there are safe luckily as they live in the northern parts of the city itself but they all know friends whose homes have been damaged (severely or beyond repair).
Are there 'before' pictures for those images? I can imagine the difference is particularly shocking for the one on the right.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I think those dinosaurs generations have to die out before anything of relevance can actually happen. Change is hard as is, but it's extremely unlikely that anybody 35-40 and older will make major lifestyle changes.
The fault lines don't run along generations but cognitve ability. I'm 46 and got rid of my last car years ago. The son of one my neighbors, 21, has gotten himself a Feck you, Greta sticker for his tuned 3 series BMW. And he's proud of it...

Are there 'before' pictures for those images? I can imagine the difference is particularly shocking for the one on the right.
Somebody on ResetEra has done it, just scroll down the page

https://www.resetera.com/threads/he...-in-de-and-be-many-more-missing.456994/page-5

Last edited:

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
The fault lines don't run along generations but cognitve ability. I'm 46 and got rid of my last car years ago. The son of one my neighbors, 21, has gotten himself a Feck you, Greta sticker for his tuned 3 series BMW. And he's proud of it...
We are talking about much larger scales. Pretty sure I‘m right although your experience is different. Gonna look up if there are some stats available
Edit: found some, but all supporting my claim (some for different reasons though), will post it later. Highest co2 emissions are caused by 60-70 year olds in Germany.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think those dinosaurs generations have to die out before anything of relevance can actually happen. Change is hard as is, but it's extremely unlikely that anybody 35-40 and older will make major lifestyle changes. A truely global effort is also not something I expect to happen with China, Russia and the US. Also treshold countries are rightfully pissed that once they developed some economic power, they have to make major adjustments (which are very expensive most of the times) because of a problem mostly caused by the few richest countries on earth. When it comes to climate change, I am very pessimistic. There's no true will to at least try to prevent it from happening in such a drastic way that this planet becomes uninhabitable for humans. Na man, individuals should do what they can and adjust accordingly, but it's absolutely unrealistic that the extreme changes that need to be done will be done ever. Planet is fecked longterm (human time scale). Once the planet's feaver has wiped enough parasitcal life out, there will be new.
Feel like you're putting the cut off a bit too low, there. People who are 40 this year are millennials, we're not talking boomers here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's of course wrong to come up with absolutes based on age, but it appears to be true that people get more conservative mindsets as they age, e.g. this under 25/over 60 comparison of the last general election:
https://www.tagesschau.de/wahl/archiv/2017-09-24-BT-DE/charts/umfrage-alter/chart_208747.jpg
or the break down of the vote of over 70 year olds:
https://www.tagesschau.de/wahl/archiv/2017-09-24-BT-DE/charts/umfrage-alter/chart_208749.jpg

It's even more apparent for the last European elections:
https://www.tagesschau.de/wahl/archiv/2019-05-26-EP-DE/charts/umfrage-alter/chart_379131.jpg
though to be fair the breakdown of the green vote shows about similar numbers for the age groups from 25 to 59
https://www.tagesschau.de/wahl/archiv/2019-05-26-EP-DE/charts/umfrage-alter/chart_379123.jpg

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Feel like you're putting the cut off a bit too low, there. People who are 40 this year are millennials, we're not talking boomers here.
the older you get, the harder is change

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
There are some before/after pictures here for Belgium's most affected cities. Especially the ones in Heppeneert, Maaseik and Dinant are scary sights.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Insane pictures, I dread to think what may happen in european countries with worse infrastructure, like Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece... Although with this number of deaths I assume something failed in terms of warnings to populations.

I have a friend who owns a farm ans she's been praying for some rain.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Yes, but it's not just that which decides how someone feels about climate change, it's also the prevailing view of the generation. 35-40 year olds grew up in a world where climate change was increasingly recognized.
Yes, definitely true! I never wanted to imply this being completely monocausal or sth like that, sorry when it came across that way. My point being is that while obviously the 35-40 year olds have a more rational stance towards climate change than the boomer generation, I still think it's much harder for them to change than for someone who's 15 years old right now. Not only because their generational views differ, but because of their ability to adapt easier than someone who has already a hardened world view.
Ultimately, I still think that before any true progress towards the fight against climate change will take place, those generations who did not grow up knowing about it when they were rather young will have to die out/fall out of society (nursing homes etc.). Genereally speaking, social changes are pretty slow and sometimes, people ask themselves why. The answer is very often just the above. Change is so slow because those who completely oppose an idea, but have the social power (economical status, government, influence in general, influential jobs etc.), will oppose that idea since their world view is hardened; they can't adapt as easy as a younger person, who's more malleable (had to look that word up, hope it makes any sense). So for changes to take place, a majority of people who are in for a change needs to form. This will only happen if the former generation loses its economical status, government positions, influence in general, influential jobs etc., otherwise it's very unlikely to happen. Drastic, abrupt and harsh social changes rarely happen and those that do happen, often happen because of acute (immediate!) crisis (mostly: wars).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Death toll in Germany rises to 81 and there's still hundreds missing. Almost as much water came down that day as in 3 months on average.
Damn. What’s the prevailing National opinion? Just pure shock or some kind of grand narrative about how it happened, what to do, etc.?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yes, definitely true! I never wanted to imply this being completely monocausal or sth like that, sorry when it came across that way. My point being is that while obviously the 35-40 year olds have a more rational stance towards climate change than the boomer generation, I still think it's much harder for them to change than for someone who's 15 years old right now. Not only because their generational views differ, but because of their ability to adapt easier than someone who has already a hardened world view.
Ultimately, I still think that before any true progress towards the fight against climate change will take place, those generations who did not grow up knowing about it when they were rather young will have to die out/fall out of society (nursing homes etc.). Genereally speaking, social changes are pretty slow and sometimes, people ask themselves why. The answer is very often just the above. Change is so slow because those who completely oppose an idea, but have the social power (economical status, government, influence in general, influential jobs etc.), will oppose that idea since their world view is hardened; they can't adapt as easy as a younger person, who's more malleable (had to look that word up, hope it makes any sense). So for changes to take place, a majority of people who are in for a change needs to form. This will only happen if the former generation loses its economical status, government positions, influence in general, influential jobs etc., otherwise it's very unlikely to happen. Drastic, abrupt and harsh social changes rarely happen and those that do happen, often happen because of acute (immediate!) crisis (mostly: wars).
Yeah I'd agree with that.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Damn. What’s the prevailing National opinion? Just pure shock or some kind of grand narrative about how it happened, what to do, etc.?
Now more than 100 deaths.

At the moment, a shock feeling is in my opinion still overwhelming.
Generally the narrative is that it is a natural catastrophe caused/strengenthed by climate change/crisis.
At the moment it is still about rescuing people and to start the clearing of debris and bringing help to the people and setting up the critical infrastrucure.
Long term there have to be questions asked why forewarning and evacuation plans failed before the event.

The political reaction is, that now a national effort is needed to help and rebuild the areas.
The discussion about what that means for the climate crisis and what Germany will do about it has not yet reached the political mainstream but will for sure now have a bigger impact on the oncoming federal election