Florian Wirtz | Leverkusen player

tomaldinho1

He's too good and too obvious for us to sign. Nailed on to be a great player wherever he goes next
He’s also sadly the profile of player (£100m transfer) we will be staying away from for the near future. Have to sort out the manager, style, broader squad until we start paying insane money for the best players else we just continue what we’ve done before.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That, sadly, makes a lot of sense. Oh well guess we could hope he stays another season with Xabi and United get the structure in order and City get punished in the meantime.
He does stay this summer, so a potential transfer would happen next summer at earliest. That could be enough time for United to clean up the chaos and become a good destination. So it's not all sad in that regard, you could have a chance.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think he was available at any point since he made his debut for us to be honest. We would only sell if the player was pushing for a move and the player camp prioritized his development (and recovery) very highly so far.
Are you still up or already up? :D

Rabauke84

Supports
Bayern München
Actually, he stated quite often, that he is a Fan of Bayern München.
His father is also in talks with Bayern, since his times in Cologne.

That being said, it doesn't mean, he will end up there.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Actually, he stated quite often, that he is a Fan of Bayern München.
His father is also in talks with Bayern, since his times in Cologne.

That being said, it doesn't mean, he will end up there.
I expect both Alonso and Wirtz to leave for Real next summer. No idea how Real will try to work out their squad should they get Mbappe and then Wirtz, but I think Bayern will be happy to help themselves to Real's leftovers again (Robben).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Don't see Wirtz going to Madrid, would be incredibly stupid with Bellingham there and playing his role as the CAM. City is pretty much the perfect situation with De Bruyne getting older, Wirtz is almost a carbon copy of him.

Would obviously love him at United to replace Bruno, we have face reality that we are well below the list for the best youngsters in the world :(

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't see Wirtz going to Madrid, would be incredibly stupid with Bellingham there and playing his role as the CAM. City is pretty much the perfect situation with De Bruyne getting older, Wirtz is almost a carbon copy of him.

Would obviously love him at United to replace Bruno, we have face reality that we are well below the list for the best youngsters in the world :(
I think Bellingham and Wirtz can play in the same line up, especially under Alonso who often starts with two AMs anyway. Bellingham would also be great in the Palacios role who is a bit more free roaming besides Tchouameni. Wirtz could also play on the left when Vinicius is rested or injured. I think there are many possibilities. But I still don't see how Vini and Mbappe fit into the same line up. Especially when Davies is on the field, too.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
But I still don't see how Vini and Mbappe fit into the same line up. Especially when Davies is on the field, too.
Well, Rodrygo did play as a left winger against City with Vini on the pitch in a free role. I’d imagine that this kind of set up would work for Mbappé as well.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think Bellingham and Wirtz can play in the same line up, especially under Alonso who often starts with two AMs anyway. Bellingham would also be great in the Palacios role who is a bit more free roaming besides Tchouameni. Wirtz could also play on the left when Vinicius is rested or injured. I think there are many possibilities. But I still don't see how Vini and Mbappe fit into the same line up. Especially when Davies is on the field, too.
In Alonso's current 3421 formation is no place for neither Mbappe nor Vinicius. So this way of playing together won't happen for sure.

Mbappe and Wirtz signing for Real would mean that other players would have to leave to make space for them.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

agreed. Jude isn’t going to thrive as a box to box in the long term. He’s already in his best role now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well, Rodrygo did play as a left winger against City with Vini on the pitch in a free role. I’d imagine that this kind of set up would work for Mbappé as well.
Something like that could be possible but I guess there are enough problems which emerge due to tactical decisions like this as well. I mean, somebody has to occupy certain positions in the build up so one will always have to play on the right in possession. It just seems a bit nonsensical to me to have two €150+M players who both want to play on the left wing in one team.

In Alonso's current 3421 formation is no place for neither Mbappe nor Vinicius. So this way of playing together won't happen for sure.

Mbappe and Wirtz signing for Real would mean that other players would have to leave to make space for them.
I think Vinicius would be ideal as a wide player in Alonso's system. A mirrored Frimpong role so to say. Mbappe is a bit more difficult as he's not really an attacking midfielder or a striker but I guess you could make due by playing him as an LAM. In that case you could also fit Vinicius in as a LW but you'd still need a striker and both would probably attack the same spaces.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think Vinicius would be ideal as a wide player in Alonso's system. A mirrored Frimpong role so to say. Mbappe is a bit more difficult as he's not really an attacking midfielder or a striker but I guess you could make due by playing him as an LAM. In that case you could also fit Vinicius in as a LW but you'd still need a striker and both would probably attack the same spaces.
But aren't they also going to sign Davies? I think he would be more suited to that role than Vini.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But aren't they also going to sign Davies? I think he would be more suited to that role than Vini.

Yeah, Davies and Vinicius/Mbappe could be difficult under Alonso, all three very difficult indeed. Alonso could go for something like the Frimpong/Diaby connection last season but even that seemed to be more improvised and not by design.

But in general, Vinicius would be more fitting in the Frimpong role. I know Frimpong is technically a wing back but one of our most successful attacking patterns is overloading the left side of the pitch in the build up where our technically most gifted players are, lure the opponent in and when we beat their press, shift to the other side where Frimpong is free to engage the rest defense. And whil Frimpong is great at that, Vinicius is on a wholly different level to him in that regard. He'd absolutely rip rest defenses apart. Mbappe as well obviously but I'm not sure he'd be okay with not being the player everything goes through.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In Alonso's current 3421 formation is no place for neither Mbappe nor Vinicius.
i mean of course there is. Doesn't mean it would be optimal, but that's still 3 forward roles for 3 forwards(Mbappé, Vini, Jude).

Mbappé ain't coming anyways so no problems there

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
i mean of course there is. Doesn't mean it would be optimal, but that's still 3 forward roles for 3 forwards(Mbappé, Vini, Jude).

Whatever let's you sleep at night. :wenger:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Not under the assumption that Wirtz is coming to Real. Because then the double 10 would most likely be Bellingham/Wirtz and you would need a striker in front of them. Neither Mbappe nor Vini are really suited to that role.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't think Bellingham has nearly the technical abilities to play the same role Palacios does for Leverkusen. Palacios is a top class deep playmaker and I don't think Bellingham can be world class in that role, it requires great passing and also ability to dribble out of tight spaces. CAM is Bellingham's best role since it allows him freedom to go forward and use his great attacking instincts.

As for playing both CAMs, that would need switching to 3 at the back but don't know if Madrid would go for it. If they do then certainly can work. Then then how would they fit all their star wingers.

Bright_Eyes

I expect both Alonso and Wirtz to leave for Real next summer. No idea how Real will try to work out their squad should they get Mbappe and then Wirtz, but I think Bayern will be happy to help themselves to Real's leftovers again (Robben).
Would have thought Robben was a bit old by now!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't think Bellingham has nearly the technical abilities to play the same role Palacios does for Leverkusen. Palacios is a top class deep playmaker and I don't think Bellingham can be world class in that role, it requires great passing and also ability to dribble out of tight spaces. CAM is Bellingham's best role since it allows him freedom to go forward and use his great attacking instincts.

As for playing both CAMs, that would need switching to 3 at the back but don't know if Madrid would go for it. If they do then certainly can work. Then then how would they fit all their star wingers.
I think it is rather a question of decision making than technical ability. Bellingham has generally better technique than Palacios, IMO, and he's also quite capable at freeing himself out of pressing situations. In terms of decision making, he has improved a lot at Madrid and now loses very few balls as evidenced by his pass completion going up from 82% to 88%. And he'd enjoy the positional freedom Palacios has both with and against the ball, often pushing into the attacking line and attempting long shots and through balls respectively aggressively pressing opponents all over the pitch. IMO that's the ideal role for Bellingham, even better than his current one.

Regarding the three at the back issue: I think if they sign Alonso, it goes without saying that they switch to three at the back. At the very least in the build up phase. Alonso has proven to be relatively versatile in his tactics but the 3-2 base formation in the build up has been non-negotionable so far.

Alpha 1

He is going to Bayern as is usually the case for all German talents.

RoyH1

If Wirtz ends up in City115 I'll give up on watching PL matches that are not ours.

RoyH1

How about Bayern?
I don't care about the Bundesliga as much. On top of that, as tiring as Bayern's dominance of German football can be, I don't think it is based on governmental investment fund money or marketing deals completely at odds with real market values.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How about Bayern?
Then I'll stop watching any Bundesliga matches that are not ours :lol:

Luckily I think a Bayern transfer is very unlikely. I'm obviously biased so I'm not sure whether to trust my argumentation but IMO there are many things that speak against a transfer. First, we don't want to sell to Bayern, so Wirtz would have to insist to go there and only there. Second, there is the financial dimension. Hoeneß has said himself that transfers like Kane will remain rare occasions and only happen when the team is in desperate need of a wordclass player in a certain position. That doesn't apply to Wirtz who would be even more expensive than Kane on top of it. Plus, it seems like Bayern is planning a big overhaul of the squad. Many contract situations aren't favorable so they will extend with a few high performers for big money and lose a few other players for low fees whose replacements will be expensive as well. Wirtz on the other hand is known for very careful career planning. His camp will probably be suspicious of all the uncertainties around Bayern right now (squad overhaul, unknown manager, new leadership, not sure which titles they will contend for in the future) plus they already publicly proclaimed that they want to make Musiala the new face of the club - a player who is the same age, nationality and plays the same position as Wirtz. It also seems as if Wirtz at one point wants to play in Spain or England and that won't increase Bayern's willingness to pay either - they love picking up free agents or distributing transfer fees over long contract durations. And what shouldn't be underestimated as well: Wirtz and his father will know how a transfer to Bayern would be received. This would mean it's over with the universal love from German football fans. The transfer would receive much criticism, Götze comparisons would be made, there would be many hate comments and threats over social media, etc. I don't think Bayern as a whole package is attractive enough for them to ignore all the aforementioned. A Musiala exit could change things up as Bayern would suddenly be in need of a new future star in the attack as well as very solvent. But even then: Would Wirtz as at the very least Musiala's equal go to a club that Musiala himself thinks is not the right destination for him moving forward?

So my money is on Real Madrid, Manchester City or Barcelona. Bayern first has to sort their stuff out before they become as attractive as they used to be again. And this will become more difficult compared to 2012/13 again, IMO, since they don't have Ribery and Robben anymore and no Guardiola following on Heynckes to attract players.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
I don't know for how long Pep plans to stay at City, but if he stays there is no better player for him. If Pep could bake himself the perfect midfielder it would be Wirtz. And I would hate it...