Florian Wirtz | Leverkusen player

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Bayer Leverkusen youngster Florian Wirtz has won the Fritz Walter gold medal in the U17 category after an impressive maiden Bundesliga campaign.
  • Bayer Leverkusen teenager Florian Wirtz has surpassed the likes of Leon Goretzka, Mats Hummels, Mario Götze and Julian Draxler as the youngest player to ever represent Germany's U21s.
Link.

Full Name: Florian Richard Wirtz
Date of birth: May 3, 2003 (17)
Nationality: Germany

Height: 1,75 m
Position: Midfield - Attacking Midfield
Squad Number: 27
Foot: Right
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2023

Transfermarkt link.

Javi

Fantastic talent. Amongst the best players at Leverkusen currently. If he keeps his head down and works hard there is only injuries that can stop him from becoming an elite player.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
When I watched him come to the fore last season, I was surprised that he was 17 because he was playing with so much maturity. The fact that he's also skilled on the ball genuinely makes him one of the most talented Leverkusen players in recent years. Typically, young players with skill on the ball have a tough time at the senior level because they have to learn how to apply their skill against the bigger, stronger, and more energetic players. With Wirtz, however, he came in and didn't show any sign of immaturity. There's a reason Leverkusen were okay with letting go of Havertz, and it's because of Florian Wirtz.

He came through Köln's academy and wasn't really given too much attention by the German football media. Leverkusen, however, kept their eyes on him, and when Köln were about to award him a professional contract, Leverkusen swooped in and swayed him with the promise of first-team football. Wirtz then signed for Leverkusen in January 2020, and a few months (and a lockdown period) later, he was playing first-team football as promised by Völler and co.

His footballing intelligence is personified by the fact that he can play in multiple positions and not look out of sorts. He started off as an attacking wing back and instantly impressed everyone with his intelligent positioning, high energy levels, and smart use of the ball. He wasn't going for difficult passes/crosses, and he wasn't constantly looking go on mazy runs. He knew when to play a quick pass, when to take on his opponent, when to cross, and when to take a shot. When he was put under pressure, he'd be able to wriggle away whilst keeping close control of the ball. He's not necessarily a quick or speedy player, but that doesn't mean that he's slow on the ball. He's like a boxer: fleet-footed with quick steps and constantly moving the ball with his feet. He may not be a very creative or expressive player, but when he plays his passes, they're typically on point and are never awkward or unexpected. Defensively, he works hard, but he doesn't seem aware of what goes on around him beyond the player on the ball. Because he's good at following instructions, he can play a part, but when he has to defend on his own accord, he is exposed. Having said that, this is expected of a more attacking player, which is why you don't typically see them play defensively.

As time has gone, he went from being a wing back to being a winger in a few weeks, and this season, he's mostly been playing as a box-to-box midfielder, where his skill set can be fully utilised. In that role, his decision-making comes to the fore, and he gives Leverkusen an added dimension with his smart ball usage. He links up the deeper midfielders to the more creative ones, and he often creates space by drawing players towards him with his dribbling. He basically is the cog that gets the most out of the more creative though less reliable players (Amiri, Bailey) and allows Demirbay to play as a playmaking midfielder without having to worry about defending as much. His workrate is important in Leverkusen's pressing game, and because he's smart and good at following instructions, he tends to play a part in winning possession back. However, when he's out of his comfort zone (i.e. when he's out of position or defending a counterattack), he makes more defensive mistakes. Bear in mind, though, that he's still a teenager, so he has time on his side in that respect.

In terms of his room for growth, he still needs to work on the following:
  • Become more of a creative threat (play more accurate defence-splitting passes)
  • Take more shots on goal (he's a good long-range shooter)
  • Get into more goalscoring positions (become a true B2B threat)
  • Improve his defensive awareness (not be tunnel-visioned towards the player on the ball)
I look forward to watching more of him, though. He really is a fun player to watch even if he isn't as exciting as players like Havertz, Werner, Sané, or Gnabry.

Reactions: Invictus

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I came across him last season when I was trying to watch Havertz. Exceptional talent. He caught my eye immediately, even if he wasn't a starter in those games. Will follow his development with keen interest.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's palying a similar role for us as Bruno for you I'd say. Very good on the ball, great technique, good dribbling and always seeks the deadly through ball - often successfully but he also has many possession losses to his game. However, some of his passes this season were absolutely outstanding. Many Leverkusen fans think he's an even bigger talent than Havertz. Probably the biggest testament to his skill is the fact that during his recent injury, we really lacked something in attack.

Anyway, I highly doubt he's moving before 2024/25.

HabeasC

Scored a couple of goals in Germany's 2-1 win over the Netherlands

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Scored a couple of goals in Germany's 2-1 win over the Netherlands

He's so good to watch.

This game looked like one of the most comprehensive 2-1 games I've seen in a while.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
@Zehner

what's going on here?

Video of a pre-preseason workout. The shirt he's wearing is the Alaba one he got from him when he scored his first goal against you. Alaba and him are friends I've been told. The video was shot by a new agent, not really clear what that means. Some say it doesn't mean much, some see it as a future application. Probably something inbetween

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Zehner

what's going on here?

I think these days their fans are happy if it's Bayern rather than Dortmund. That being said they signed him 18 months ago from Cologne, more or less their local rival. It's not like he's Neuer 2.0.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
I think these days their fans are happy if it's Bayern rather than Dortmund. That being said they signed him 18 months ago from Cologne, more or less their local rival. It's not like he's Neuer 2.0.
And while Wirtz is a great talent it doesn't seem likely we would go for him considering that we have Musiala.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Currently at 5 scorers (2 goals + 3 assists) in 90 minutes of playing time as an 18 year old. And Rudi Völler just claimed that he has no buy out clause.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And another goal and assist in his first full game this season :drool:

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And another goal and assist in his first full game this season :drool:
He´s amazing. Never thought we would see another talent of Havertz caliber at Leverkusen and they just give us Wirtz. :drool: Beyond his obvious footballing ability, I am so impressed with his composure, maturity and his leadership qualities at such a young age. Just an absolute joy and the next guaranteed 100m+ transfer.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He´s amazing. Never thought we would see another talent of Havertz caliber at Leverkusen and they just give us Wirtz. :drool: Beyond his obvious footballing ability, I am so impressed with his composure, maturity and his leadership qualities at such a young age. Just an absolute joy and the next guaranteed 100m+ transfer.
Yes, his technique and composure are incredible. Anyway, against Stuttgart, the defenders just couldn't catch him in the two situations that lead to the goal and assist. He's no Diaby but I was really surprised by his pace. Didn't expect him to be that fast at his age already

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This kid is top tier. Destined for Bayern Munich greatness.
Thought so, too, but I've got hope now. Apparently no release clause and contract until 2026. There are talks about a gentlemen's agreement with him which probably means he'll leave in 23. Sad but hopefully that rules out a transfer to Bayern. I won't get my hopes up just in case but people claiming Bayern won't pay €100+m fee and €20+m annual wages for Wirtz when they already have Musiala definitely have a point.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
€100m+ fee
€20m p.a. wages

aren't you getting ahead of yourself a bit? ;)

jesperjaap

I agree. He has obvious talent, but it isnt that for me that stands out. Its that he is so young but plays like an experienced and intelligent player. Most star youngsters stand out for there ability and being fearless, from the little I have seen WOrtz looks like a player who has a good 2 or 3 seasons behind him of progression. Not comparing him as a player but to be his age and be Mount now at Chelsea when he really should be Mount at Derby is testament to where he already is

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
€100m+ fee
€20m p.a. wages

aren't you getting ahead of yourself a bit? ;)
I used the Havertz fee and wages as a benchmark. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect similar demands for and from Wirtz, especially in two years time when the pandemic is hopefully not impacting the market anymore - at least not to the current extent.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Numbers wise he has had an outrageous start to season. 70% of last seasons productivity in less than 10% of the starts.

Dave_MUFC

Amazing player, in the same mould as Havertz.

Think it's quite good for his development that he's not being hyped to kingdom come at this stage, so he can focus on his game.

Red_toad

I used the Havertz fee and wages as a benchmark. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect similar demands for and from Wirtz, especially in two years time when the pandemic is hopefully not impacting the market anymore - at least not to the current extent.
Won’t he be out of contract is 2023? so no fee and whatever wages his agent can agree.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just scored again. Makes him the youngest player ever to get 10 goals in the Bundesliga. So now at 4 goals and 4 assists this season in just 5 games, only started the third time today... unreal stuff.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Such a good player. Incredible to watch too.

izec

Havertz et al say hi.
He is better and they are already on it. Havertz was very expensive and sometimes you will miss a player here or there, but i think Wirtz will be there. They simply will also have to replace Lewa and Müller at some point in the squad.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He is better and they are already on it. Havertz was very expensive and sometimes you will miss a player here or there, but i think Wirtz will be there. They simply will also have to replace Lewa and Müller at some point in the squad.
I don’t think Wirtz will be less expensive than Havertz. Contract until 2026 and no release clause. And Völler hates Bayern.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Biggest german talent since young Götze.
Imo quite a bit more impressive than Havertz at the same club.

I hope we can get him in 2 or 3 years as a replacement for Müller.
But I fear one or two of the german coaches in the PL might also fancy a move for him.