Florian Wirtz | Leverkusen player

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Havertz is a different type of player, but it is simply that Wirtz replaced Havertz for Leverkusen. So a lot of those comments are more or less "we don't miss Havertz, Wirtz is better anyways"
I was about to write that Havertz shone at the times when Leverkusen were a fairly highly functional possession side under Bosz and went more or less missing when they weren't. Whereas the Seoane version of Leverkusen struggles in possession, but then I checked the stats and saw that Wirtz has only scored a goal against Leipzig and two assists against mighty Fürth in the eight games since the Bayern incident. He's clearly an exceptional talent, but I think at the moment too much of his public perception rests on that crazy 7 game run at the beginning of the season. People were just as enthusiastic about Havertz for a while and it took some time to realize that he wasn't as consistent or dominant as some early runs of form made everyone hope.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I was about to write that Havertz shone at the times when Leverkusen were a fairly highly functional possession side under Bosz and went more or less missing when they weren't. Whereas the Seoane version of Leverkusen struggles in possession, but then I checked the stats and saw that Wirtz has only scored a goal against Leipzig and two assists against mighty Fürth in the eight games since the Bayern incident. He's clearly an exceptional talent, but I think at the moment too much of his public perception rests on that crazy 7 game run at the beginning of the season. People were just as enthusiastic about Havertz for a while and it took some time to realize that he wasn't as consistent or dominant as some early runs of form made everyone hope.
In the league yes, but I think you forget he has also scored a goal and three assists in the EL since the "Bayern incident" and made sure that Leverkusen win their group.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Sportbild is reporting that he is on Rangnicks "youngster"-wishlist among others.
Those "others" are: Luca Netz(Gladbach), Eric Martel(Leipzig, currently on loan at Austria Wien), Armel Bella Kotchap(Bochum)
As a Bayern fan - is there anyone in that list that you want?

Just asking because the German x United blend hasn't been great and I'm looking forward to that getting better with some young German players sought after by Rangnick.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Another overhyped bundesliga youngster. Won't make it in the EPL.
Yes, indeed, that's right.... And no I don't say this because I hope that no PL club will go for him ;)

For me Wirtz is the most impressive youngster in the league since young Mario Götze. Better than Dembele, Sancho, Havertz, Werner et al.

I really, really hope Bayern is in for him. But Nagelsmann obviously sees Musiala future in the centre, so I have my doubts that we will go all in for Wirtz.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
After watching a few videos, I've come to the conclusion he'd fit City more than United.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Wirtz is on a dry patch in the league but he contributes so much goals and assists aside. Collected a few pre assists here and there and generally has many jaw dropping plays.

Wouldn't say he's better than Sancho who himself is absolutely exceptional. But he's in the same tier. Wirtz, Sancho and Götze for me are the biggest prospects I've seen in the Bundesliga in the last 20 years

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yes, indeed, that's right.... And no I don't say this because I hope that no PL club will go for him ;)

For me Wirtz is the most impressive youngster in the league since young Mario Götze. Better than Dembele, Sancho, Havertz, Werner et al.

I really, really hope Bayern is in for him. But Nagelsmann obviously sees Musiala future in the centre, so I have my doubts that we will go all in for Wirtz.
The fact that you brought up that list to extoll Wirtz isn't heartwarming at all almost everyone on that list flopped (injuries in case of gotten but still)

Haven't seen him play to be honest but the obligatory YouTube videos seem exciting but you never know till you watch him week in week out

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The fact that you brought up that list to extoll Wirtz isn't heartwarming at all almost everyone on that list flopped (injuries in case of gotten but still)

Haven't seen him play to be honest but the obligatory YouTube videos seem exciting but you never know till you watch him week in week out
The players that failed in the EPL usually joined outdated teams. Bundesliga players are used to modern tactics and coaching. Now that United has finally chosen to join the party, all English top clubs have undergone a transformation in that regard so I don't see why Bundesliga prospects should be more likely to fail than other players.

I mean, in the end players like Firmino, Gündogan, Son, Aubameyang and most likely even de Bruyne have dominated the league despite not being rated as highly as those youngsters in the Bundesliga.

Blackwidow

Do not forget Sane who won youngster of the season in the EPL.

But I think that Bayern will not go for Wirtz as we have Musiala as designated Müller successor already. And Müller will still probably play the next 3 years (or even more) and because of his playing style will not really get worse with age.

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
As a Bayern fan - is there anyone in that list that you want?

Just asking because the German x United blend hasn't been great and I'm looking forward to that getting better with some young German players sought after by Rangnick.
I would like Wirtz to join us, can`t really say much about the rest of them. Rangnick knows his stuff espescially when scouting young players.
I did not think Wirtz would be up to join u guys, but Rangnick has changed things since he is known to put trust into young players and turn them into household-names. He basically invented Firminho for example - so there is a chance Wirtz might see United as the easier path into stardome.
But we all have seen the pictures of Wirtz sporting a Bayern-jersey while working out, so... no-one knows where he`ll end up. :drool: :smirk:

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The players that failed in the EPL usually joined outdated teams. Bundesliga players are used to modern tactics and coaching. Now that United has finally chosen to join the party, all English top clubs have undergone a transformation in that regard so I don't see why Bundesliga prospects should be more likely to fail than other players.

I mean, in the end players like Firmino, Gündogan, Son, Aubameyang and most likely even de Bruyne have dominated the league despite not being rated as highly as those youngsters in the Bundesliga.
Chelsea just became the champions of Europe and both Werner and Havertown have been underwhelming for them

I get your point i just wouldn't call it outdated rather more different which means it can be pretty hard to transition to epl or any other league for that matter as German prospects have hardly hit the ground running in other teams as well

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh for fecks sake! That's terrible. Poor kid.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's terrible. Hope he recovers quickly but that's pretty much the worst that could happen for us and for him as well.

And Baumgart can feck off by the way. Pretending sportsmansgip to injured players but clearly giving his players the instructions to overcommit in tackles and duels. Wannabe Simeone.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Real bummer, but at least he's got plenty of time and youth on his side, fingers cross he can come back stronger.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Well this lads done, I had feeling we'd go for him this summer but I doubt it happens now.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Will never be the same again.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Will never be the same again.
He is already playing in the last weeks like nothing happened. Incredible talent.

Will be unfair if Bayern will have Musiala and him in one team.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is the number 10 his best position ?
Yes, for now. But Wirtz is a fluid ball-carrier, interprets space at a high level and has the wherewithal to operate in half-spaces, so he is more than just an orthodox Number 10. A crafty coach could develop and deploy him in a few different ways:
  • As a interior in a midfield 3 (à la De Bruyne), especially as he widens his range of passing and and becomes more disciplined with age.
  • As a False 9, under the right conditions; Alonso has already experimented with him in that role in a 3—4—3 base, with solid underlying justification...
Speaking to reporters Alonso said: "There are good players and there are players who look good on the pitch. The player who looks good does things that are nice, but not necessarily efficient. Why is Messi so good? Because he knows how and when to play simple passes. Messi says: 'You're in a better position? Here, there you have the ball!' It's not always about making the most brilliant move, but the best and smartest. Florian can do that. That's why he's so good."
  • As a wide attacker or midfielder, under certain conditions; from there, he could intelligently float around and whip in precise passes.
While I like Bruno, we should definitely keep an eye on Wirtz — he possesses all the tools to become one of the most important footballers of the next 10-15 years (unless something goes horribly wrong).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A few stats from him this season since his recover from ACL:

516 minutes
2 goals
4 assists
3 pre-assists

Per 90 minutes:
3.16 key passes
5.26 shot creating actions
0.88 goal creating actions
4.74 successful dribbles (67.5% success rate)

According to his fbref.com scouting report over the last 365 days (injury happened in February 2022), he's among the top...

2% for assists
13% for shot creating actions
4% for progressive passes
1% for successful take ons

( Player compared to positional peers in Men's Big 5 Leagues, UCL, UEL over the last 365 days. Based on 805 minutes played. )

19 years of age. There's been a lot of talk about Musiala and Bellingham in his absence but I think he's still the biggest promise in the Bundesliga. Flies a little bit under the radar.

Baneofthegame

I wondered why I hadn't heard much about him as he was amazing, but didn't realise he had an ACL injury, fabulous player.

NLunited

Yes he immediately jumped out to me when I watched a Leverkusen game. He has flown under the radar because of his injury. I believe he can be the no. 10 we are looking for.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wondered why I hadn't heard much about him as he was amazing, but didn't realise he had an ACL injury, fabulous player.
Yep, that silence was all down to his horrible injury. He is an amazing talent (and i don’t use the term „amazing“ lightly) and him and Musiala will hopefully be pillars in Germany‘s midfield for the next 10+ years.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yes he immediately jumped out to me when I watched a Leverkusen game. He has flown under the radar because of his injury. I believe he can be the no. 10 we are looking for.
We already have Bruno and Eriksen, it would be surplus requirement .

izec

He is a tremendous talent, shame about the injury and missing so much football. He just has that natural ability on the ball, that you can't teach.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Here's a video only with post recovery scenes. A handful of pre-season games in their as well but not many.

Yep, that silence was all down to his horrible injury. He is an amazing talent (and i don’t use the term „amazing“ lightly) and him and Musiala will hopefully be pillars in Germany‘s midfield for the next 10+ years.
Musiala and Wirtz together will be awesome but I hope only for Germany :D

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Musiala and Wirtz together will be awesome but I hope only for Germany :D
I left that dig out on purpose. :cool:
But if you sell him to fecking Chelsea to let them ruin him as well then your club is dead to me.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I left that dig out on purpose. :cool:
But if you sell him to fecking Chelsea to let them ruin him as well then your club is dead to me.
Yeah, that would suck. Though I believe he's on a wholly different level to Havertz and will probably be too good to fail regardless of which club he chooses.

That said, when he had his breakthrough there were reports he was a Barca fan and Romano recently tweeted they are interested in a transfer already. Him, Pedri and Gavi together would be quite entertaining as well. And you can say about Barca what you want, but he could definitely count on protection from the referees there :D

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, that would suck. Though I believe he's on a wholly different level to Havertz and will probably be too good to fail regardless of which club he chooses.

That said, when he had his breakthrough there were reports he was a Barca fan and Romano recently tweeted they are interested in a transfer already. Him, Pedri and Gavi together would be quite entertaining as well. And you can say about Barca what you want, but he could definitely count on protection from the referees there :D
I agree that he is a level above talent wise, but I would have loved Havertz at Bayern in the Müller role. That was obvious before Musiala‘s breakout season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I agree that he is a level above talent wise, but I would have loved Havertz at Bayern in the Müller role. That was obvious before Musiala‘s breakout season.
Admittedly, it would have probably been better for him personally.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
We already have Bruno and Eriksen, it would be surplus requirement .
Milan had Rui Costa (who made the most assists in the competition as they won the Champions League in 2003), but they also made a move for Kaká from São Paulo — which paid big dividends in the years to follow, as fate would have it. While United's situation (among other variables) is not exactly the same, and Bruno and Eriksen are good contributors — Wirtz is a decade younger, a good ball-carrier on top of being a special creative passer already (*), comes across as a consummate ten Hag player in terms of footballing intelligence and keeping things simple (which was one of Cruyff's mantras), and could be a top performer for a very long period of time. If the opportunity is there to sign someone like him (i.e. one of the absolute best playmakers of the upcoming generation), it would behoove us to at least test the waters (and build from a position of strength, rather than desperation).

(*) These stats are not perfectly equalized of course (Wirtz's sample size is smaller, for example; a purple-patch can skew the data vs. someone who plays week-in an week-out), but paint a reasonably good picture of his talents as a ball-carrier (which give him as extra dimension vis-à-vis Bruno). As he develops, he could basically be Bruno with superior decision-making and dribbling ability!