Florian Wirtz | Leverkusen player

Swedish_Plumber

I’d give my left nut to sign him. A double pivot of Mainoo and Neves with Wirtz in front is my dream line up for United. With Mount on the left. That team would dominate possession in 90% of games. People will say there’s no true DM and it’s not physical enough, but that’s bollocks. Physicality is grossly overrated when you have work rate and technique.

It’s 200m on midfield, but selling Bruno and Casemiro would cover 60% of it, and we’d have a midfield for a decade plus.

Neves and Wirtz will be two of the best midfielders in the world over the next decade, and both will move clubs in the next two years.
Is work rate not a big part of physicality though?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Is work rate not a big part of physicality though?
I don’t think so. Fred for example had a high work rate but wasn’t the strongest. Small players can work really hard but not be physically imposing or strong, which is why I separate the two. They may be linked often but they merit being classed as separate qualities.

For example, Onana is lauded for his work rate and physicality, but I prefer a player that combines work rate and technique, like Neves. It doesn’t mean Onana has terrible technique or Neves has no physicality. It just highlights their primary strengths. I bring it up because there is more than one way to defend, especially in this era where referees afford players so much protection from physical play.

JogaBonitoRooney

Are you talking about Ruben Neves? He's retired in Saudi.

Wirtz is great though. His close control is Iniesta like.

FortunaUtd

Wirtz is a pipe dream. He will stay in Leverkusen for another season and then probably follow Alonso to Real or Bayern.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Are we even sounded him out yet?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
For someone whose passing is so good, I can't believe how patient he is....he is just too good.

Will be fun to see if England managers can get more out of Mainoo/Foden/Bellingham or German managers out of Wirtz/Musiala....my money would be on German pedigree
I think we still have issues in defense and at CF, silky passing and dribbling cannot solve all our problems.

NoLogo

I think we still have issues in defense and at CF, silky passing and dribbling cannot solve all our problems.
I agree, the striker position is indeed a problem, since Klose retired we just don't seem to have anyone in that position that I would even remotely describe as international class. Füllkrug and Undav are alright, but that's about it, and apart from them we really don't have anyone who can even come close to playing at international level. In central defence we have two good players in Rüdiger and Tah, but I'm not sure if they'll form a really good partnership. But the big problem is the wing positions, Kimmich has now moved back to right-back at Bayern and in the national team because we simply don't have any quality there, maybe Henrichs, but he's no better than average, the left side of our defence looks even worse.

Bobby_2024

It pains me to see Ralf Ragnick wanted this guy when he was available for 30M but board didnt approve the signing.

Mainoo-Writz could dominate midfield for next 10-12 years

FortunaUtd

It pains me to see Ralf Ragnick wanted this guy when he was available for 30M but board didnt approve the signing.

You have a source for that story? When was he available for 30m? Certainly not when Rangnick was with us, that is utter nonsene, and I also call bullshit on the "board didn't approve" part. As for Rangnick naming Wirtz as a transfer target, if he did, that is about as imaginative as wanting to sign Messi in 2009. At no point we would have been in a good position to sign him, he was deliberately staying at Leverkusen despite Bayern (and probably every other rich club in the world) being after him for years.

redNATION

With Neves behind them :drool: The equivalent of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta

That’s the type of planning City or Real have, as usual we’ll wait until Casemiro and Bruno are 33 and realise we need to replace them, at which time we’ll pay top dollar for a couple of 29 year olds.

Pughnichi

This kid is class

This post was created Jan ‘21…when he was 17

The talent was always there

The sumer of 21 we signed Donny for 39m
The summer of 22 85M on sancho
The summer of 23 90M on Antony

It’s infuriating to think that at no point across those 3 summers did anyone throw his name on a board. I’m sure prior to this season he was attainable

he’s now a 100M player

State of this club

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Hat trick to clinch the first ever Bundesliga title for Bayer Leverkusen, no biggie! :drool:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This kid is class

This post was created Jan ‘21…when he was 17

The talent was always there

The sumer of 21 we signed Donny for 39m
The summer of 22 85M on sancho
The summer of 23 90M on Antony

It’s infuriating to think that at no point across those 3 summers did anyone throw his name on a board. I’m sure prior to this season he was attainable

he’s now a 100M player

State of this club
Why didn't anyone else sign him?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why didn't anyone else sign him?
Very sensible parents and has his head screwed on the right way. He always made clear he wants to develop and mature "at home" before leaving for the big football world.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Very sensible parents and has his head screwed on the right way. He always made clear he wants to develop and mature "at home" before leaving for the big football world.
So United aren't a joke of a club then?

I mean we are but not because of this

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hat trick to clinch the first ever Bundesliga title for Bayer Leverkusen, no biggie! :drool:

In a half time with no other goals inbetween! In Germany we call that lupenrein :drool:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
With Neves behind them :drool: The equivalent of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta

That’s the type of planning City or Real have, as usual we’ll wait until Casemiro and Bruno are 33 and realise we need to replace them, at which time we’ll pay top dollar for a couple of 29 year olds.
Casemiro will go but we will definitely lose out on the best attacking midfield talent because Bruno is untouchable and our supposed talisman. Probably also because we are a crap team many will avoid.

Pscholes18

Casemiro will go but we will definitely lose out on the best attacking midfield talent because Bruno is untouchable and our supposed talisman. Probably also because we are a crap team many will avoid.
Seriously, would promptly tell Bruno to feck off if we had a chance at this kid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Seriously, would promptly tell Bruno to feck off if we had a chance at this kid.
It’s not just him though. We are usually great at missing out the very best talent and having a captain as AM means we will do little to really bring someone important there. We’re a funny club - we fought hard with City to bring in Ronaldo, Maguire, Fred and Sanchez but didn’t bother to do so with Bernardo Silva and Rodri who so many here knew were what we needed.

Pscholes18

You have a source for that story? When was he available for 30m? Certainly not when Rangnick was with us, that is utter nonsene, and I also call bullshit on the "board didn't approve" part. As for Rangnick naming Wirtz as a transfer target, if he did, that is about as imaginative as wanting to sign Messi in 2009. At no point we would have been in a good position to sign him, he was deliberately staying at Leverkusen despite Bayern (and probably every other rich club in the world) being after him for years.
Google says Ralf wanted him, but looks like he was valued at 60 to 70.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Google says Ralf wanted him, but looks like he was valued at 60 to 70.
I don't think he was available at any point since he made his debut for us to be honest. We would only sell if the player was pushing for a move and the player camp prioritized his development (and recovery) very highly so far.

Lyng

I don't think he was available at any point since he made his debut for us to be honest. We would only sell if the player was pushing for a move and the player camp prioritized his development (and recovery) very highly so far.
Is it known if he has any "dream" club?
I mean, do you think is there any chance United could get him?
I know this is largely guess work but man if there is one player out there that I am desperate for it's him.

Hughes35

He's too good and too obvious for us to sign. Nailed on to be a great player wherever he goes next

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Is it known if he has any "dream" club?
I mean, do you think is there any chance United could get him?
I know this is largely guess work but man if there is one player out there that I am desperate for it's him.
He said in an interview that he was a Barca fan in his childhood years, primarily because of Messi though. Is rumoured to be an admirer of Pep as well.

To be honest, I would rule out a transfer to United completely. Not because of childhood dreams or anything but because United doesn't seem the best club for his development right now considering the current chaos. Wirtz and his family are very careful in his career decisions and prioritize perspective for him over everything else. Hard to say which club is in the pole position but I'd say City because of Guardiola and de Bruyne potentially leaving, Real Madrid because they will sign Alonso and have a good record with young players and Barca are. Bayern will be in as well but I don't see the stars aligning for them as of now.

Lyng

He said in an interview that he was a Barca fan in his childhood years, primarily because of Messi though. Is rumoured to be an admirer of Pep as well.

To be honest, I would rule out a transfer to United completely. Not because of childhood dreams or anything but because United doesn't seem the best club for his development right now considering the current chaos. Wirtz and his family are very careful in his career decisions and prioritize perspective for him over everything else. Hard to say which club is in the pole position but I'd say City because of Guardiola and de Bruyne potentially leaving, Real Madrid because they will sign Alonso and have a good record with young players and Barca are. Bayern will be in as well but I don't see the stars aligning for them as of now.
That, sadly, makes a lot of sense. Oh well guess we could hope he stays another season with Xabi and United get the structure in order and City get punished in the meantime.