Fluminese and the Relationism Tactical Revolution

padr81

Supports
Man City
You can't judge the philosophy of Fluminese from one game against a team of the biggest cheating regime in football managed by a serial cheat of a manager. Ridiculous final which will inevitably be stripped from City after the corruption and money laundering charges are proven.
What about the 38 games in Serie A where they went 16-8-14 and finished upper midtable?.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
What about the 38 games in Serie A where they went 16-8-14 and finished upper midtable?.
In fact, they're far from the best team in Brazil, probably not even top 5. They had a very convenient run in Libertadores(they beat Boca in the final, but the Argentines are far from their golden era; they reached the final without winning any game in the knockout stages). Diniz is fiercely criticized here, even before his poor effort with the Seleção.

padr81

Supports
Man City
In fact, they're far from the best team in Brazil, probably not even top 5. They had a very convenient run in Libertadores(they beat Boca in the final, but the Argentines are far from their golden era; they reached the final without winning any game in the knockout stages). Diniz is fiercely criticized here, even before his poor effort with the Seleção.
For sure I like his ideals and style but it feels like he's trying to throwback to a time football has moved past and will exposed time and again for naivety. Its admirable but foolhardy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Totally schooled by Pep Guardiola's positional play..Order will always prevail over chaos,so thats a big NO to the relationism or other wild football ideas..
Yeah only needed to commit financial fraud and cheat the system to be able to ‘school’ a Brazilian team.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
For sure I like his ideals and style but it feels like he's trying to throwback to a time football has moved past and will exposed time and again for naivety. Its admirable but foolhardy.
Exactly. People can brag about the difference of the quality of the squads or how more expensive the City one is as much as they want but the reality is the Brazilian team lost the game already with the way they wanted to play..very brave but very naive and not up to the reality of the real football standards of today..

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly. People can brag about the difference of the quality of the squads or how more expensive the City one is as much as they want but the reality is the Brazilian team lost the game already with the way they wanted to play..very brave but very naive and not up to the reality of the real football standards of today..
You can't put forward "reality" and end your post with a blanket statement like " "not up to the reality of the real football standards".
It's one game, against literally the best team in the world. It's not enough to completely bury this idea forever. If anything, the fact they were in this position to play against the best team of the world, should be enough to inspire other coach to experiment with this idea and see what they can do with it.
I personally don't think it's going to be effective in modern football and I actually agree with you but Fluminense results are intriguing enough to make coach around the world at least consider this a viable path to experiment with.
Let's say you are completely dominated, you have 30 minutes to completely change a game, I'd like to see teams try something else than "let's play with 5 forwards and hoof the ball in the box"

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why people mention Bielsa here :confused::confused::confused:

One of Guardiola's biggest influences...

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I can respect what theyre doing. Against City even if you setup identically like them youd still lose due to their quality and depth anyway. Feck Pep and his overly systematical lineups. He managed to get this far not only because of tactics but becaus he has the best squad in the world

Mickson

They won the league the season before that, suggesting that season where they didn't was an outlier.

As I say, the proof is in the season after, so far we've seen chaos tactics start strong but get found out soon enough, by relying on luck you then have to suffer the fall when that luck runs out.
I'm not here to argue if it's a successful tactic or not, I just thought it would be fun to mention in this context. And of course, fun that coaches are trying something new.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Série A is a very competitive league: it's very hard to get away wins.
Their squad is also nothing special and their main players are all veterans, which brings consistency down a bit.
If you add these ingredients and mix them with an overloaded schedule (if you go far in all competitions, you'll make about 80 to 90 official Marches in 9 months) and it's easier to understand why competing in Estaduais+ Serie A + CONMEBOL is hard.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Reminds me of a tactic you’d use in a 5s tournament not 11 a side (well not if you’re hoping to win stuff and be taken seriously)

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm not here to argue if it's a successful tactic or not, I just thought it would be fun to mention in this context. And of course, fun that coaches are trying something new.
For sure, I agree with you wholly.

It's fascinating to see these theories gain traction, I hasten to use the term 'new' ideas, as these ideals and thought processes have been around for ages but I guess tactics progress as football does.

Champ

Why people mention Bielsa here :confused::confused::confused:

One of Guardiola's biggest influences...
Bielsa embraced chaos and individual freedom, just look at his Leeds side, wasn't always the case, his Bilboa side was quite regimented but certainly his latter stages leading up to Leeds was based in a similar fashion to what's being discussed here.

Zed is not dead

Bielsa embraced chaos and individual freedom, just look at his Leeds side, wasn't always the case, his Bilboa side was quite regimented but certainly his latter stages leading up to Leeds was based in a similar fashion to what's being discussed here.
Didn’t know he also trained Rocky. What a man, footballing genius, and a boxing legend too

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I love how much effort people put into these types of videos. Lots of people putting out pretty well thought out stuff

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
I feel like chaos with good individual players has always been a good answer to Guardiola's style.

There is a reason Liverpool had our number for a long time early in his tenure until they started trying to match our control, and also Ole had a pretty good record against us

Okey

Watching yesterday, I think Diniz is doing a great job at Fluminense. They just haven't got the legs! Would be nice to see how he fares with a younger, fresher squad. They really had no chance against the well oiled, relatively youthful Premier league machine that is Pep's team.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Ten Hag has been watching this lot. :lol:

The wingers are drifting over to each others side today.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, that was just the impression given by an overall individually weak side competing against better/more talented teams. Even at Leeds his team was very structurally rigid. Chaos is what their opponents did to beat them

Last edited:

Champ

No, that was just the impression given by an overall individually weak side competing against better/more talented teams. Even at Leeds his team was very structurally rigid. Chaos is what their opponents did to beat them
Disagree entirely.

Bielsa liked his teams to attack fluidly and trusted them to make movements on their own rather then choreographed routines, very much in keeping with the tactical outlook being discussed. This often led to acts of complete randomness when attacking.
Also he expected his players to defend man for man, which led to an element of chaos also as you are relying on players winning individual duals rather then a structured rigid zonal space marking.

I'd say his Leeds team were well drilled but certainly not rigid.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Disagree entirely.

Bielsa liked his teams to attack fluidly and trusted them to make movements on their own rather then choreographed routines, very much in keeping with the tactical outlook being discussed. This often led to acts of complete randomness when attacking.
No, Bielsa was even more rigid than Guardiola when it came to positional structures and occupation of spaces. His teams, including Leeds, very much played by memory

Also he expected his players to defend man for man, which led to an element of chaos also as you are relying on players winning individual duals rather then a structured rigid zonal space marking.
Correct, and it's where most of the chaos came from
I'd say his Leeds team were well drilled but certainly not rigid.
They were very rigid in possession and in a way also oop, but "man-marking all over the pitch" was very easy to disorganize

PepG

Supports
Ajax
What Guardiola took from Bielsa is not the rigidity of the system or not; he took the obsession about details that Bielsa has..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What Guardiola took from Bielsa is not the rigidity of the system or not; he took the obsession about details that Bielsa has..
He also took several tactical concepts and wrinkles(not all of them originally Bielsa's either), and most importantly, learned the ropes of the job

Champ

No, Bielsa was even more rigid than Guardiola when it came to positional structures and occupation of spaces. His teams, including Leeds, very much played by memory

Correct, and it's where most of the chaos came from

They were very rigid in possession and in a way also oop, but "man-marking all over the pitch" was very easy to disorganize
I'm Not so sure, he seemed to allow his players freedom to roam when in possession, allowing them to roam near enough wherever they wanted.

Very much in line with what's being discussed for me, maybe slightly more structured but still with a huge element of individualism and chaos.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Watching yesterday, I think Diniz is doing a great job at Fluminense. They just haven't got the legs! Would be nice to see how he fares with a younger, fresher squad. They really had no chance against the well oiled, relatively youthful Premier league machine that is Pep's team.
He's also turned Brazil into an abomination.
Lost to Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, drew with Venezuela. 2 wins from 6 and only 7 points in SA Qualifiers. Theres a certain point where "He doesn't have the players doesn't cut it". He's tactically naive and while its nice to watch, he'll achieve nothing.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's also turned Brazil into an abomination.
Lost to Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, drew with Venezuela. 2 wins from 6 and only 7 points in SA Qualifiers. Theres a certain point where "He doesn't have the players doesn't cut it". He's tactically naive and while its nice to watch, he'll achieve nothing.
Not overly true. He's brought success to Fluminese.