Fluminese and the Relationism Tactical Revolution

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The ideas are good and overall it seems to work well: Fluminense does solid league seasons and they even won Copa America this season, so one cannot deny that the system works. What's the ceiling of this system it's the 1M $ question, I guess.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
These guys are fecking wild :lol:

I’d really enjoy watching them if it didn’t involve a 5-0 Man City win in the process

padr81

Supports
Man City
To be honest, they've more than held their own. Really unlucky there, but the headless chicken nature of them playing around their own 6 yard box will cost them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
64% balll possession in 20 mins against City. I would say this is a very interesting statistic IMO

KeanoMagicHat

They play a unique brand of football that’s for sure. More in Brazilian tradition before everything got homogeneous.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If we bare in mind that Fluminense has a very veteran squad, I think the output of the team is quite good TBH.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don’t know how you haven’t put more past them, I expect a deluge in the second half
To be honest I htink we're playing within ourselves and just letting them shoot themselves in the foot. They're great on the ball but the space they just left Foden for the og was shocking, CB literally runs into midfield away from Phil.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The result will be unbalanced as expected, but seeing a team keeping their identity against City while actually managing to outplay them in some aspects of the game is quite refreshing.

Mickson

Malmo FF had one of the highest possession percentages in Europe (65% on average) last season and their coach is inspired by Fluminese. Quite an interesting article here:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Only thing they've tried second half is to injure someone and I think they may have got Rodri here.

Anustart89

They were, but they also had a player in Messi who transcended positional systems. You take Messi out of that time, and whilst it remains preposterously gifted, it becomes more robotic. I think it’s also fair to say that the way that midfield operated, was at times incredibly robotic in its ability to strangle the opposition through endless possession.
Just noticed this old post.

We basically saw that with the Spain side and it was excruciatingly boring.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

Yeah their results were incredible, and inevitable. But my God, it was like watching paint dry. I have never enjoyed a Guardiola team as a spectacle to watch, and I think his influence on football has made the game worse to watch.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Because the opponents were scared shitless of trying to get the ball off of Spain, and waved the white flag at minute 1.

Spain Germany in the Euros semifinal was exhilarating because Germany tried to make the game a contest. They were also called naive for doing so, so what gives

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Looks like Fluminese ran out of steam.

But if they only lose 4-0 then they're 1 goal better than someone's 5-0 prediction, and have exceeded expectations, so a victory for Relationism

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
They're coming from an 80 games season(football here only stops in December) and are very reliant on Marcelo and Ganso to start their creation.

Anyway, they're known for being unreliable defensively even by Brasileirão standards.

al.gabiru

Fluminense was easily defeated, as everyone expected. There is a lot of difference in the quality of the players. But it's an interesting idea from Fluminense to play from behind in a different way than the Europeans do, as shown in this first video.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Totally schooled by Pep Guardiola's positional play..Order will always prevail over chaos,so thats a big NO to the relationism or other wild football ideas..

whitbyviking

BBC wanking themselves silly over TT his win. Completely glossing over the fact it’s tainted, as are all their other achievements.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Totally schooled by Pep Guardiola's positional play..Order will always prevail over chaos,so thats a big NO to the relationism or other wild football ideas..
Yeah, having a trillionaire squad probably helped(Fluminese isn't even one of the ten richest clubs in Brazil).

Real Name

Cause there's just one way to play football, right.

Teja

This style of football is so much more enjoyable than the cage that is positional play. I really enjoyed the first half and thought they did pretty well (much better than clubs with 10x budgets) against City.

Dunno what pep changed but it seems to have worked in the 2nd.

I hope it wins out.

KeanoMagicHat

Got to love them defenders still dribbling out of the box when 3-0 down after 80 minutes.

Swap the starting lineups and see how it would go. Ganso, Marcelo and Melo etc are well past it, unfair chasm in quality personnel wise.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
They're coming from an 80 games season(football here only stops in December) and are very reliant on Marcelo and Ganso to start their creation.

Anyway, they're known for being unreliable defensively even by Brasileirão standards.
Unreliable defensively is an understatement :lol: :lol:

They are crap defensively and don't score that many either.

Champ

Malmo FF had one of the highest possession percentages in Europe (65% on average) last season and their coach is inspired by Fluminese. Quite an interesting article here:

Is this the same team that have won eight out of the last 13 league titles? The power houses that are expected to win every year?
Can't say I've seen them play, and I absolutely love the idea of chaos on the field.
Football is after all a game of luck, every game is near enough 50/50 split as to who will win, but so far we've seen this theory start strongly but bomb after a season or two, look at Bielsa, chaos reigned but luck soon caught up with them.
This theory/ideal will work on the short term, but once teams organize themselves against it then it becomes defunct and non existent.
It's fascinating and I love it, but it's not sustainable.

Mickson

Is this the same team that have won eight out of the last 13 league titles? The power houses that are expected to win every year?
Can't say I've seen them play, and I absolutely love the idea of chaos on the field.
Football is after all a game of luck, every game is near enough 50/50 split as to who will win, but so far we've seen this theory start strongly but bomb after a season or two, look at Bielsa, chaos reigned but luck soon caught up with them.
This theory/ideal will work on the short term, but once teams organize themselves against it then it becomes defunct and non existent.
It's fascinating and I love it, but it's not sustainable.
Yeah, however, they finished seventh the season before and he changed the way they played completely. They have a lot of possession but are very free in attack, and create a lot of overloads with fast switches.

Champ

Yeah, however, they finished seventh the season before and he changed the way they played completely. They have a lot of possession but are very free in attack, and create a lot of overloads with fast switches.
They won the league the season before that, suggesting that season where they didn't was an outlier.

As I say, the proof is in the season after, so far we've seen chaos tactics start strong but get found out soon enough, by relying on luck you then have to suffer the fall when that luck runs out.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

You can't judge the philosophy of Fluminese from one game against a team of the biggest cheating regime in football managed by a serial cheat of a manager. Ridiculous final which will inevitably be stripped from City after the corruption and money laundering charges are proven.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Isn’t KdB back soon? I know completely different positions but that’s got to be a boost
For sure, I just think Rodri is more important than KDB to our system. KDB is a world class player but no one can play the Rodri role, with no one able to play it we have seasons like his first with us where we let Liverpool walk away with the title.