Music Foo Fighters

rian_xjml

I'm a massive Foo Fighters fan (both literally and figuratively), and as they've released their new single The Pretender, I'd like to know other people's opinions on them. I like all of their stuff, but when I went to one of their concerts in 05, i was taken aback at the number of emokids there, and stopped listening to them for a while. Up until that point, along with all the albums, I'd collected about 170 songs of their B-sides, rarities and live performances, but then i stopped. Now they've released their new single, I'm starting to get back into them, and I'd forgotten what a great band they are.

Heres a link to their new video for The Pretender

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2su4o_foo-fighters-the-pretender-video-pr_music

Moz

I think they're a good band. Their first album is my favourite.

Ivor Ballokov

Saw them at V last weekend and they were absolutely banging. They actually did two sets, in the afternoon they did a more mellow one with songs like See you and my hero and then the headline in the night. They even played Nirvana B-side Marigold which was my personal highlight of the weekend if only Kurt Cobain had been there to take over on the drums.

rian_xjml

Saw them at V last weekend and they were absolutely banging. They actually did two sets, in the afternoon they did a more mellow one with songs like See you and my hero and then the headline in the night. They even played Nirvana B-side Marigold which was my personal highlight of the weekend if only Kurt Cobain had been there to take over on the drums.
I'm fairly sure that when Dave sang Marigold with Nirvana, he intended for it to be a studio only release (thats why its a b-side), and so he sang while playing the drums, or at least recorded the vocals and the drums separately.

He also recorded it on his Pocketwatch demo, and on the FF acoustic live album Skin & Bones. Also, you're a lucky bastard for going to V festival. Heard they played some new songs off the new album.

Ivor Ballokov

I'm fairly sure that when Dave sang Marigold with Nirvana, he intended for it to be a studio only release (thats why its a b-side), and so he sang while playing the drums, or at least recorded the vocals and the drums separately.

He also recorded it on his Pocketwatch demo, and on the FF acoustic live album Skin & Bones. Also, you're a lucky bastard for going to V festival. Heard they played some new songs off the new album.
Really? I read somewhere that Kurt took to the drums for the song but you could be right, it is probably just one of those rumours.

Yeah they played a couple of new tunes including the single. They also did a cover of "keep your car running" by Arcade fire which was pretty damn good. We were only about 4 people from the front so we had amazing view and the atmosphere was brilliant didn't stop bouncing and singing the whole time. Would put my photos up but apparently the camera was as drunk as me.

V was great, my third year now but this was probably the best although FatboySlim and Radiohead last year were a bit special.

MalibuKen

i reallly want the pocketwatch album. if any one has a link to where i can "ahem" get it (download it) it would be much appreciated

Rudie

Mentary
Haha you know that's bullshit!

I haven't ever been a massive fan but Everlong is probably one of my favourite ever songs.
My irony escapes you too.

But on a serious note i'd rate them much higher, saw them at a secret one off venue t'other week, less than 2000 people, reeeet tiny venue, grungy as feck. Now lets see the Foo's still do that. And they're British, Manc music at it's best.

And they're not bad live either, let me tell you.

Ronaldo07

Beanpole studying Irish history
Fighting over the internet is like being David Bel

Cold_Boy

Everlong's a really class song.

Foo Fighters are quite good.I like them.

Widnes

Watched them at Old Trafford last summer and they rocked the joint, awesome band.

Saliph

Saw them in Norway on Friday, they were brilliant. Grohl is cool as feck.

Also, I want this version of Wheels

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
fecking brilliant tonight at Milton Keynes Bowl :D

RK

Solius, if you'd met Dale Winton in a dark alley on the way home, would it have been a non-sexual encounter?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've already met him, and no, it wouldn't have been.. RedKnife

EDIT: You fecker.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
God damnit I want to see them. Hadn't gotten into them much when they did a gig here along with QotSA. Both bands I love. Sucks. Soooo few concerts.

JmRssll555

The band have just announced a huge UK stadium tour for next summer.

http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/81050
NME said:
The Dave Grohl fronted band will play Sunderland Stadium of Light on May 25, Manchester Emirates Old Trafford on May 27, Wembley Stadium on June 19 and 20 and Edinburgh Murrayfield Stadium on June 23. Tickets go on pre-sale November 19 and on general sale at 10am on November 21.
I noticed that they are playing the "Manchester Emirates Old Trafford" - is that a typo or is that the name of the cricket ground nowadays?

Tickets on sale next week and I'm hoping to get my hands on some for the Edinburgh gig.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The band have just announced a huge UK stadium tour for next summer.

http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/81050

I noticed that they are playing the "Manchester Emirates Old Trafford" - is that a typo or is that the name of the cricket ground nowadays?

Tickets on sale next week and I'm hoping to get my hands on some for the Edinburgh gig.
It's the United Match parking lot, aka Cricket Ground.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Was looking at going to the Wembley one as I need to see these guys live, However at over 70 quid for a standing ticket, they can feck right off!

stu_1992

I'll definitely be looking to go to their Slane Castle gig in Ireland. Hopefully Royal Blood are supporting them there, like they are in the UK.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone heard Sonic Highways? Usually always buy their records but the reviews i've seen have been a bit meh.

JUPITER

Anyone heard Sonic Highways? Usually always buy their records but the reviews i've seen have been a bit meh.
Haven't bought a Foo Fighters record since 'The Colour and The Shape' as I'm not really a fan of the middle of the road rock they started dishing out after their brilliant, eponymous debut and decent sophomore effort, BUT I have enjoyed the Sonic Highways documentary series greatly!

I've watched the first 4 - Chicago, Washington, Nashville and Austin - the Chicago and Washington episodes being particularly brilliant. Fantastic footage of the Washington hardcore scene that got Grohl into punk rock, started him drumming and ultimately set him on his path to end up in Nirvana. Brilliant interviews that delve into the rich musical history of each city going as far back as modern history does.

Then at the end of each documentary, the Foos play a song with lyrics culled solely from the many interviews Grohl has conducted on each city. I'm not a big fan of Foo Fighters' music since the mid '90s, so I'm probably not the best judge, but the song for the Austin episode was strong I thought, kinda harked back more to their pop punk days rather than the stadium 'rawk' that they tend to pump out these days.

If you're a fan of Foo Fighters, or just rock 'n' roll in general I highly recommend the documentaries.

2 man midfield

Haven't bought a Foo Fighters record since 'The Colour and The Shape' as I'm not really a fan of the middle of the road rock they started dishing out after their brilliant, eponymous debut and decent sophomore effort, BUT I have enjoyed the Sonic Highways documentary series greatly!

I've watched the first 4 - Chicago, Washington, Nashville and Austin - the Chicago and Washington episodes being particularly brilliant. Fantastic footage of the Washington hardcore scene that got Grohl into punk rock, started him drumming and ultimately set him on his path to end up in Nirvana. Brilliant interviews that delve into the rich musical history of each city going as far back as modern history does.

Then at the end of each documentary, the Foos play a song with lyrics culled solely from the many interviews Grohl has conducted on each city. I'm not a big fan of Foo Fighters' music since the mid '90s, so I'm probably not the best judge, but the song for the Austin episode was strong I thought, kinda harked back more to their pop punk days rather than the stadium 'rawk' that they tend to pump out these days.

If you're a fan of Foo Fighters, or just rock 'n' roll in general I highly recommend the documentaries.
Cheers, wanted to watch the series but haven't yet. I also prefer their debut. Front to back a hell of a strong record. They seemed to slow down and go a bit Tom Petty for a while, but Wasting Light was much more in the vein of the older stuff, faster, heavier etc. Probably the fastest, heaviest example:

JUPITER

Not bad at all, I like the lo-fi fuzz that the guitars are drenched in! Much better than the 'emotive rock dude' stuff that I was talking about before.

But yeah, the series is really good, think I'm gonna watch the L.A one tonight - which almost feels like it should be 2 episodes! I'm really interested to see how they condense that city's musical history down into 1 hour and what they skip over!

Surely they'll have to spend a good deal of time going through just the 60's - The Beach Boys, The Doors, Electric Prunes, the Laurel Canyon folk scene, Joni Mitchell, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, The Byrds, Mama & Papas etc.

The 70's you got massive bands that Grohl clearly loves like The Eagles and Carpenters.

THEN you've got the LA punk scene which again Grohl will definitely wanna cover - Black Flag, Bad Religion, Descendants, Fear, X etc...

But he'll also definitely talk about all the L.A metal/rock gods - Megadeth, Metallica, Guns & Roses, Slayer, Van Halen, Motley Crüe...

Then there's the 90's alt bands that he's actually close friends with (and in some cases has been in the bands) - Red Hot Chili Peppers, RATM, Weezer, L7, Janes Addiction, Kyuss, QOTSA...

And you've also got some of the most seminal and important hip hop of all time - NWA, Dr Dre, Ice T, all of Deathrow Records, Cypress Hill etc!

I've probably missed loads of stuff out so I apologise, but how on Earth can you cram that city's musical history down into an hour!? The other episodes have all been so good that I'm sure he'll make a decent go of it, but I can just imagine them sitting around and fretting over what to leave out!

Acole9

Outstanding
On the internet yesterday in queues trying to get tickets and failed. I'm gutted, as a loyal fan for many years of the band and having seen them live previously. I think it's about time that a similar ticketing process to Glastonbury must come in stop greedy touts spoiling it for us loyal fans. I refuse to believe that for two dates at Wembley 85,000 both nights they would sell out that quickly. If anyone thinks I'm being cynical go on any secondary ticketing website viagogo etc they're on there for £120.00 one ticket and there's hundreds on there.

tom33

On the internet yesterday in queues trying to get tickets and failed. I'm gutted, as a loyal fan for many years of the band and having seen them live previously. I think it's about time that a similar ticketing process to Glastonbury must come in stop greedy touts spoiling it for us loyal fans. I refuse to believe that for two dates at Wembley 85,000 both nights they would sell out that quickly. If anyone thinks I'm being cynical go on any secondary ticketing website viagogo etc they're on there for £120.00 one ticket and there's hundreds on there.
I got tickets for Old Trafford, but I completely understand what you mean. On Thursday there were over 250 of the presale tickets for sale on the 'official resale' websites. Can't believe touting has basically been legalized because ticket companies have realised they can snatch a share of the extra profits.

Zen

tbf, they probably buy the tickets themselves to further their own profits.

TAX LOOPHOLE!

2 man midfield

It's dodgy as hell, these ticket sites. I wanted to see Opeth in Bristol, so went on Ticketmaster and saw there were tickets available for £50 each. Ideal i thought. I was then redirected to Ticketweb, a subsidiary of Ticketmaster, where tickets were £25 each...

I had no idea what happened and i had to google them to see if they were legit. But it's a sellers market where the buyers have no clue what is going on.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone want - or know anyone who wants, a single ticket for the gig in Manchester next Wednesday? I can't go anymore... I'll flog it for Face Value + Booking Fee/postage.