Football at the Olympics

Eriku

Their greatest hopes are based on many of these U23s. Who's not in this squad? Cesar, Ramires, Hernanes, Alves + Maicon? Not the players that are going to turn the game against a team like Spain. They need to hope that those in the Olympic tournament really push on.
They'll have had two more years to improve, and Brazil has such a ridiculous amount of talent, there may well be players that aren't stellar youngins that make the step up by then.

I just feel it's not enough to go on to make that kind of a statement about their chances... my two pence.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mexico deserved it. They were more organized team and that was the difference. They played to a game plan whereas Brazil didn't seem to have one. Brazil seemed to ignore the basics and try aimless things like launching the ball forward and fancy flicks that led to nothing. They basically did the simple things poorly and lacked cohesion in comparison to Mexico.

mightberight

They'll have had two more years to improve, and Brazil has such a ridiculous amount of talent, there may well be players that aren't stellar youngins that make the step up by then.

I just feel it's not enough to go on to make that kind of a statement about their chances... my two pence.
I agree. Just mentioning the fact that this crop of players will have to be the main driving force of any potential World Cup win. Will be interesting to see how they do in the next couple of years

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Tbf to Rafael, Juan ran past him there so he had to get to the ball to him someway, as he had nowhere else to go.

jeff_goldblum

Tbf to Rafael, Juan ran past him there so he had to get to the ball to him someway, as he had nowhere else to go.
Yeah if you look at the options Rafael had, it was either hoof it out of play or try and set Juan off down the wing. Stupid from Juan to force him to make that decision instead of dropping off and giving him an easy pass backwards. The fact is that if it'd come off, we'd all be raving about it and because it didn't he'll get dog's abuse off the world and his wife. Don't get me wrong, I'd be annoyed if he did that for United, but I'd also be annoyed at the centre-back.

NoLogo

Damn it they didn't even show the celebrations but switched to women walking now.

If that isn't the goofiest looking sport ever idk what is, the fact that most of the women look more like little boys then women isn't helping either.

Cali Red

Damn it they didn't even show the celebrations but switched to women walking now.

If that isn't the goofiest looking sport ever idk what is, the fact that most of the women look more like little boys then women isn't helping either.
I know, WTF!

The coverage here in the US has been brutal. NBC is doing a terrible jib in my opinion. I had to stay up night after night until damn near midnight to see the big track events. Missed a couple I wanted to see. And it's on tape delay!!!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Mexico deserved it. They were more organized team and that was the difference. They played to a game plan whereas Brazil didn't seem to have one. Brazil seemed to ignore the basics and try aimless things like launching the ball forward and fancy flicks that led to nothing. They basically did the simple things poorly and lacked cohesion in comparison to Mexico.
That first minute goal was a dream for Mexico. Mexico then sat back, soaked up pressure, defended their goal, and attacked on the counter. Brazil never really got into a rhythm despite having a good amount of possession. It reminded me of United vs Barca at Old Trafford in 2008.

Ringo 07

Mexico defintiely seem to be Brazils bogey team at all levels. The first team have got thumped a few times by the Mexicans over the last few years.

Surely there is a kick ass playmaker on that Mexican team at a cost of 7 Million quid that would walk into our midfield and save us a fortune on a midfield signing? I missed the game but any suggestions? Fabian?

Cali Red

I lardy know Fabian frm the Toulon Turney earlier.. He's a pain in the ass to play with. and Herrera too.. He looks weak but his football is certainly not!!

And anyone think the same as me? this Diego Reyes 19-yr old CB is excellent too!
He looked solid. He better put on some weight though. A little light in the pants.

jeff_goldblum

He looked solid. He better put on some weight though. A little light in the pants.
Yeah he looked skinny as a rake. Jonathan Pearce said that there were rumours that we were after him, though I can't imagine it being true given that CB is the one position where we're set for at least the next 5 years.

Cali Red

Yeah he looked skinny as a rake. Jonathan Pearce said that there were rumours that we were after him, though I can't imagine it being true given that CB is the one position where we're set for at least the next 5 years.
Maybe but a young lanky defender at 19 might be worth a shot. A young Rio? And we're not that set at CB are we really? Hell I'm reading stories about Carrick starting the year in defense.

Just saw the Mexican feed of the goals from Cantor. I know he annoys some but I love his calls. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Ringo 07

This bloke who supposedly had a great game today looks the part. Would be big question marks over his discipline though for getting a 6 month ban from the Mexican national team before along with a few others

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Too much is being made out of this defeat from Brazil. They were very good in this tournament and nearly all the players have shown great promise. They'll be two years older at the World Cup and most of them will have had experience in major European leagues and competition, they'll obviously be much better. They have to be one of the favourites at their own turf.

SATA

I think Brazil do not have a proper midfielder pulling the strings in midfield, a Dunga or Gilberto Silva or someone like that. That could probably cost them the World Cup in 2014. Maybe Sandro could grow into that but i doubt so

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Indeed, just a few months ago Oscar wasn't even in the mix but look at the impact he's ready to make. Two years is a long time in football. This Brazil side really don't look great though.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Indeed, just a few months ago Oscar wasn't even in the mix but look at the impact he's ready to make. Two years is a long time in football. This Brazil side really don't look great though.
On paper they looked amazing though, almost everyone is supposedly a superstar in the making. Hulk, Damiao, Pato, Lucas, Neymar, Oscar, all of them would command exorbitant fees well over 20m+, and those are just the attackers...

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
I wish he said "Football is like a box of chocolates. You never know who will win until the end!"

ricky-romeo

Mexico defintiely seem to be Brazils bogey team at all levels. The first team have got thumped a few times by the Mexicans over the last few years.

Surely there is a kick ass playmaker on that Mexican team at a cost of 7 Million quid that would walk into our midfield and save us a fortune on a midfield signing? I missed the game but any suggestions? Fabian?
that no.14 player with no hair looks quite okay. who is he?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Future looks bright for El Tri and Tena deserves a ton of credit for preparing this disciplined team for the Olympics...Talent has long been in Mexico but they never could put it together consistently, this bodes well for their future as a major hurdle has been cleared