Football Jargon

diarm

This one bugs me too. I wonder if NFL quarterbacks ever get compared to deep lying midfielders. I assume they do not.

I'm all for terminology to summarize complex things, but that isn't it. It's just a needless simile.
I got it when it was applied to players like Pirlo or Xabi Alonso, referencing their ability to sit deep, see the big picture and launch attacks with long, accurate and sharp passing.

Earlier this year though, I heard it used to describe Declan Rice. That was when I knew the shark had been jumped.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I hate xG.
I've not even tried to understand what it's on about.

I get that use of statistics and what-not could make a difference at the top level but as a fan I'm just not interested in that kind of analysis.

Not a fan of American terms seeping into football either. Clutch, quarterback, out-of-bounds etc.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The BBC did a piece on strange football expressions from around the world, some of them were brilliant but this from Finland has to be the best...

Faecal plug - Finland

When a bear hibernates, a large mass of hardened matter called a faecal plug gathers in its colon. The word for this in Finland is 'pihkatappi'. In football terms, it’s used to describe a defensive mid who plugs the gaps in front of his defence. That’s one of my favourite expressions. It’s also one of the most disgusting, once you unpick it.
Example: Matic has turned around under Ole, he was shit for a while, but now he's become a proper faecal plug.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/68c9c99d-c9d8-4857-96dd-b10336e2118e

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Generational talent, I think, is a bit misused. Its a term a footballer has to earn in the latter years of their career and achieving a lot for themselves. Its not a label given to every kid that scores some goals or does some nice dribbles.

Renegade

Generational talent, I think, is a bit misused. Its a term a footballer has to earn in the latter years of their career and achieving a lot for themselves. Its not a label given to every kid that scores some goals or does some nice dribbles.
This one is hilarious

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Big Ron had a few didn't he?

Reducer - Heavy tackle
He also coined ‘The Reacher’ long hopeful hit towards the corner flag. Either stays in play and the full back gets penned in. Or the attacker gets there. Or it’s a throw in under pressure.

Would probably be a solid tactic for someone like Liverpool.

Renegade

No idea what a #6 is in midfield.

Jonny Evans, Wes Brown, Jaap Stam , Laurent Blanc and Gary Pallister all wore that number for us and they ain't no midfielders. It's a central defenders number.
Its a traditional thing I believe.It feels like it’s only caught on in The UK in the past years though.

2 - 4 - 5 - 3
7 - 8 - 6 - 11

In the U.K 4 and 6 were usually reversed. Not that it means anything really anyway.

Ibi Dreams

Low block - as soon as Jose Mourinho said it on Sky Sports it became the go-to buzzword for armchair managers
Yeah this one was really weird, it almost instantly became a popular term after Mourinho used it. Had never seen or heard anyone use it before then

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Every One Has Their Weaknesses I Definitely Get Annoyed By Very Small Things Easily It Is Just The Way Of Life.
Couldn't resist hehe.
:lol: I don't even get the annoyance with most of this, there has always been football jargon, is it just the fact it's changed since you were younger?

Chairman Steve

‘We go again’ is annoying these days due to its overuse.

Its something you’d expect to be said by someone whose native tongue isn’t English, but it came out of Steven Gerrards mouth first from my recollection, because I have never heard of that phrase before that.

SirAnderson

:lol: I don't even get the annoyance with most of this, there has always been football jargon, is it just the fact it's changed since you were younger?
For me I think it's more how it is used mindlessly and incorrectly by some, or used it to try and show how superior their football knowledge is. :lol: probably petty, but that's what gets me.

SirAnderson

‘We go again’ is annoying these days due to its overuse.

Its something you’d expect to be said by someone whose native tongue isn’t English, but it came out of Steven Gerrards mouth first from my recollection, because I have never heard of that phrase before that.
Therein lies your answer. Scousers don't speak English, let alone it being their native tongue.

poleglass red

people trying to sound knowledgeable by saying words such as "regista" when discussing a deep lying midfielder. Another one though you don't tend to hear it as much anymore is a "libero" when discussing a sweeper.Another one is "galacticos". I always find it strange when I heard people using those terms when english is their 1st language

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
people trying to sound knowledgeable by saying words such as "regista" when discussing a deep lying midfielder. Another one though you don't tend to hear it as much anymore is a "libero" when discussing a sweeper.Another one is "galacticos". I always find it strange when I heard people using those terms when english is their 1st language
I think when applied to Italian or Spanish football and the person knows what the terms actually mean then it's fine even if you aren't fluent in those languages. Perhaps you could even apply them to tactics brought over by Italian and Spanish managers. Otherwise loaning foreign words when English equivalents already exist is strange and just reeks of trying to seem more sophisticated and intelligent in spite of how wise you actually are.

Eggric

I hate it when opinions are preceded with "For me..." Once you notice "for me" in football punditry you'll go mad - it's said far too often.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Leaders on the pitch

Grinds my gears whenever people say that, it's an easy statement that takes away the blame from the manager and puts it on the players.

Robertd0803

Low block - as soon as Jose Mourinho said it on Sky Sports it became the go-to buzzword for armchair managers
Yup. That and "phases of the attack".

I think Galacticos entered the general lexicon thanks to the coverage Madrid used to get in the Beckham era and its not that bad.

Although people using regista to describe the likes of Scholes/Rooney/anyone else is pretty daft.

False 9.

The whole xG thing is stupid but nothing will top referencing Football Manager when discussing players potential and transfers.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Persistent fouling and team-accumulated fouls. Haven't heard it in a couple of years though, but it was definitely a thing for a week or two.

Silent domination is another one. Weird how some things catch on and some things don't?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
6 was always a centre back when I played. These kids mucking about with the numbers.
This doesn’t make sense. The numbers go up from the back:
1 - goalkeeper
2, 3 - fullbacks
4, 5 - center backs
6, 8 - central midfielders (usually a defensive one and a box-to-box)
7, 11 - wide players
10 - well, the number 10
9 - striker

It’s a traditional correlation between the numbers and positions – for a long time players on the pitch only wore 1-11, and just by looking at their number you could’ve guessed his role.

EwanI Ted

The invented word "laxadaisical" seems to have entered football commentators' brains and now they all seem to say it, which, being a needless pedant, I find irritating. Lax is a word, meaning slack. Lackadaisical (with a "k" not an "x" sound in the middle) is also a word, meaning lazy. Somehow they've mashed the two words together to come up with this new word.

I've always found the phrase "he has genuine pace" kind of weird.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
1 - goalkeeper
2, 3 - fullbacks
4, 5 - center backs
7, 11 - wide players
10 - well, the number 10
9 - striker

It’s a traditional correlation between the numbers and positions – for a long time players on the pitch only wore 1-11, and just by looking at their number you could’ve guessed his role.
Not in the UK (home of football so obviously correct!!). Swap 4 and 6 and your post matches how it was done here when 442 was king and before numbers became meaningless.

Stam, Pallister, McGrath, Buchan all centre backs, all number 6.

Outside of Man United, if we look at some famous centre backs who all wore 6 in England; Bobby Moore, Tony Adams, Carvalho, Desailly, Alan Hansen, Garry Mabbutt.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
1 - goalkeeper
2, 3 - fullbacks
4, 5 - center backs
7, 11 - wide players
10 - well, the number 10
9 - striker

Varies between countries. #4 was often the DM in the UK. For example, Paul Ince wore 4 throughout his international career, with Steven Gerrard taking over the shirt in the 2000s, as did Patrick Vieira for France.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This is a decent guide for numbering systems in a few prominent footballing nations: football-lineups. Doesn't cover Italy, Uruguay and the likes, but you get the basic essence in that the 6 is/was associated with different roles in different schools of football: leftback in Brazil (Nílton in the latter stages of his career or Marinho-Branco-Carlos-Marcelo with the Seleção), midfielder in the Netherlands (like Jansen or Wouters), centerback in England (Moore-Butcher-Terry), and so forth.

While there were a few high-profile exceptions to that norm, like Peter Reid with the #6 at Everton, @duffer is mostly on point with regard to the classic 4-4-2 English setup...

And in the ancient scheme (broadly ranging from Huddersfield in the '20s to Preston North End in the '50s), your 6 was typically a half-back in the English school of football...

11——10——9——8——7
6————4
3———5———2
1​

Falcow

Double pivot bugs me I must admit.
All these different abbreviations for midfielders are also annoying; CDM/ACDM etc.

Gengen press to describe liverpool is also annoying, what's wrong with kick and rush (which is what it actually is).