Football Jargon

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Generational talent, I think, is a bit misused. Its a term a footballer has to earn in the latter years of their career and achieving a lot for themselves. Its not a label given to every kid that scores some goals or does some nice dribbles.
And "GOAT" is something that can be used on very very few players, if all agreed preferably just 1. But now everyone is a GOAT, even a 19yo generational talent :D

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Think it was Savage, all night constantly on about "low block". Drove me nuts honestly!
As soon as I saw this bump I knew it would be about this. He reminded me of a bloke in the pub repeating something he'd heard to make it sound like he knew what he was on about.

CM

The 'half space' gets thrown around a lot these days

0le

I think "low block" started becoming popular with Mourinho. Another one might be "left footed cb" - everyone seems to talk about that now since LvG. I don't remember it receiving nearly as much attention before then?

youmeletsfly

"in the back of the net"

Actually, the ball doesn't really hit the back of the net.

GJNJ

I think "low block" started becoming popular with Mourinho. Another one might be "left footed cb" - everyone seems to talk about that now since LvG. I don't remember it receiving nearly as much attention before then?
I don't know how Rio and Vidic coped with both being right footed.

hmchan

Not sure if it counts as a football jargon but I hate the concept of "ball playing defenders/keepers". People are abusing the term.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
This doesn’t make sense. The numbers go up from the back:
1 - goalkeeper
2, 3 - fullbacks
4, 5 - center backs
6, 8 - central midfielders (usually a defensive one and a box-to-box)
7, 11 - wide players
10 - well, the number 10
9 - striker

It’s a traditional correlation between the numbers and positions – for a long time players on the pitch only wore 1-11, and just by looking at their number you could’ve guessed his role.
After the war it was a traditional...

Then the centre-half dropped deeper and the inside forwards did the same. 4 was an attacking half-back and 6 a defensive half-back. Eventually two centre-halves became the norm so it made sense for the 6 to go into central defence so eventually you had a 433 (at least at United in the early to mid-1960's).

This was classic Nobby Stiles....a defensive half-back who eventually went into central defence alongside Bill Foulkes.

At United #4 was Colman, Crerand, Daly, McIlroy, Wilkins, Moses, Whiteside. It was only when Steve Bruce arrived that we saw the centre-half wear that number.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Tired of dead wood/deadwood. It might mainly be a caf thing actually.I don't read too much football opinion elsewhere but bloody hell it's everywhere on here.

https://www.redcafe.net/search/194538/?q=deadwood&o=relevance

25 pages (the max) number of results in the past couple of months. Not a new phrase at all, it's always been around but it's never been used anywhere near as much as it has the past couple of years. "We've never had so much deadwood in the past", they say. I hear that, but fecking hell, use some different phrases, it's so repetitive. :mad:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Tired of dead wood/deadwood. It might mainly be a caf thing actually.I don't read too much football opinion elsewhere but bloody hell it's everywhere on here.

https://www.redcafe.net/search/194538/?q=deadwood&o=relevance

25 pages (the max) number of results in the past couple of months. Not a new phrase at all, it's always been around but it's never been used anywhere near as much as it has the past couple of years. "We've never had so much deadwood in the past", they say. I hear that, but fecking hell, use some different phrases, it's so repetitive. :mad:
But how do you feel about the show Deadwood?

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
This doesn’t make sense. The numbers go up from the back:
1 - goalkeeper
2, 3 - fullbacks
4, 5 - center backs
6, 8 - central midfielders (usually a defensive one and a box-to-box)
7, 11 - wide players
10 - well, the number 10
9 - striker

It’s a traditional correlation between the numbers and positions – for a long time players on the pitch only wore 1-11, and just by looking at their number you could’ve guessed his role.
In Dutch football the 3 and 5 are the fullbacks. The 2 and the 4 are centerbacks.Traditionally the 2 is the marker and 4 the defender who slots in to the midfield.

Dante

Average bang
People on this forum don't seem to know what a double pivot is. But they love talking about it.

James Peril

People on this forum don't seem to know what a double pivot is. But they love talking about it.
Hell yeah. Often topped up by using Italian/Spanish descriptions such as Regista and Trequarista and whatever else there is. Just stop it, there is no need for it. I also imagine these are 12-16 year olds that watch a lot of YouTube-vids and actually adore the attached music.

Chipper

Adulterer.
But how do you feel about the show Deadwood?
:lol: Never actually watched it, always thought it looked decent. Might get round to it one day.

Not so fun fact: Ian McShane, the bloke in it kind of/sort of went to the same school I did. He went to a boys school, there was a girls branch of the same school on a different site. They merged/mixed in the end and that's where I went although it was on the site of the old girls' school so I wasn't taught in the same classrooms he was.