Football Jargon

MalcolmTucker

Wasn't that coined by Tim Lovejoy back in his Soccer AM days?

Or rather Football AM, in keeping with the spirit of the thread.
I believe the etymology of the term can be traced back to the wordsmith Iain Dowie. I think Soccer AM highlighted this and championed it on the programme.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree that xG isn't an expression and doesn't fit the list. It's like saying you don't like the expression 'shots on target'. I totally agree that xG is misused (just like the number of shots on target doesn't indicate much on its own), but it is the name of the statistic; there isn't another word or expression that makes more sense (unlike 'quarterback': urgh!) - except if you'd prefer people always said and wrote 'expected goals' in full.

Lynty

We could talk about midfielders without saying that before someone made up that word.
Unless i got it totally wrong, it just means two midfielders, often behind the attacking one.
But tactics have evolved and positions/roles have been defined more so than they were 20 years ago.

It quickly and clearly defines a particular role in a system. You're spot on in the definition ("Unless i got it totally wrong, it just means two midfielders, often behind the attacking one") yet 'Double pivot' sums that and more up in two words.

Robbie Boy

You need your mazella to supply your false 9 who'll in turn supply your rudimentar.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Can you remember when Pace and Power was the cool thing? There was a period where every good player had Pace and Power!
That was mostly Alan Shearer and his latent (or blatant) preference for big, strong, powerful players.

"He's big, he's strong, and I'm just realising that I'm slowly falling in love with him Gary."

Evans999

'Zonal Marking' has to have been the worst introduced. How many 'zones' are there in a box?

It's essentially stand where you want and hope the corner lands on your head.

jem

1. Unplayable - stupidly overused. For Messi and Ronaldo? Maybe, but when you hear it used to describe the likes of Andy Carroll...
2. A Rolls-Royce of a player - I remember hearing LFC fans refer to Emre Can in this way. FFS...
3. We go again - not really jargon, but still overused. After Gerrard in 2014, you'd think nobody would ever say this again.
4. No backlift - I mean clearly there must be some backlift.

Chipper

Adulterer.
In addition to this, I'm not particularly a fan of midfielders being used as numbers. Oh he's #6 but can play as an #8 but definitely not as a #10. Call me old fashioned, but in the time of Fergie, the central midfielders were described by their playing style. And that is what I prefer. For example, the current #6 doesn't describe anything. Matic is a #6 but so was Pirlo and so was Carrick and they are all pretty different players.
No idea what a #6 is in midfield.

Jonny Evans, Wes Brown, Jaap Stam , Laurent Blanc and Gary Pallister all wore that number for us and they ain't no midfielders. It's a central defenders number.

Evans999

All the twitter football pages that tweet "The streets won't forget" or "My Manager /My Striker" is a trend that needs to stop immediately.

jem

Again not really jargon, but this whole thing about a player playing with a smile on his face (usually mentioned in some kind of backhanded praise to someone like Martial scoring a wonder-goal because he looks happy.) I mean Messi never looks particularly happy when going about his business. Jimmy Bullard did, but I'd take Messi over Bullard if forced to choose.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Is that jargon in reference to this practice technique?
I love that gif, can watch it over and over just laughing :lol: His instant shock, the constant stare as he gets up and then the pondering thought.

seegoblu

Generational talent could be a useful term if applied consistently with the same meaning. At its broadest usage, I think a generation means everyone who is alive at one time. More modern interpretations would mean a cohort of people over a period of 20-30 years. Most recently it seems to refer to a single age group and its immediate surrounding age groups.

Applied to soccer talent (ahem, football talent), the first interpretation today would refer to the likes of Pele and Maradona (and those to be considered the best of all time); the second, would refer to Messi and Ronaldo (the best players playing at the same time); the third would include those outstanding players for each active age group, like Mbappe and others for the U21group, Neymar, De Bruyne and others for the 20s, CR7 and Messi for the 30s.

I would prefer the middle definition that would capture the best players playing today without being so specific so as to have 15 “generations” playing at the same time. Is Sancho a generational talent? Right now, he is only if you use the widest definition.

Charles Miller

In Brazil if you are winning 2-0 people say "its a dangerous result", as if a 1-0 was safer.

Fingeredmouse

We could talk about midfielders without saying that before someone made up that word.
Unless i got it totally wrong, it just means two midfielders, often behind the attacking one.
Yes, it literally means two midfielders but both don't charge forward at the same time. Or, basically, two central midfielders.

ChaddyP

half space is a term i hear these days.

also remember "attacking the space"

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In Brazil if you are winning 2-0 people say "its a dangerous result", as if a 1-0 was safer.
They say that here in uk, 2-0 is a dangerous scoreline. I guess it’s that at 1-0 you’ll keep on it but may switch off at 2-0 and then momentum swings

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
@BAMSOLA i don’t agree. This may be a minor thing but it continues the Americanisation of our fine game. What’s wrong with saying “deep lying playmaker”? We don’t need NFL terms
Because there are many different ways for a Deep lying play-maker to go about their business, for example some deep lying play-makers use short passing and constant movement to set a tempo for their side, rather than long range passes. So not all deep-lying play-makers play the "quarterback role". The term Deep-lying play-maker only describes the type of role a player plays it isn't always specific enough to describe the way a player goes about fulfilling that role.

"Quarter back role" has just become a short hand term for saying a player goes about part of their game by using long passes to produce dramatic/dynamic switches in play usually from deep, which is not exactly how every deep-lying play-maker plays.

Last edited:

GJNJ

"get in their faces" seems to have replace by "high press" or "pressing". Except for league one or two matches who are less sophisticated players so they still "get in their faces" "early doors" or maybe "put it on them."

diarm

Generational talent is a player who is one of the very best in his generation. There are few players as good as him. Mbappé is a generational talent.
Is he yet?

For me, generational talent are Messi, the two Ronaldos, Zidane, Maradona, Cruyff, Eusebio, Best etc. Mbappe may become one but I don't think we can say that yet.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is he yet?

For me, generational talent are Messi, the two Ronaldos, Zidane, Maradona, Cruyff, Eusebio, Best etc. Mbappe may become one but I don't think we can say that yet.
He's proven it so far. Neymar was arguably another one. Otherwise we're talking about players like Ronaldo and Messi from the current generation.

Hoof the ball

Low block - as soon as Jose Mourinho said it on Sky Sports it became the go-to buzzword for armchair managers
No it didn't. :lol:

Redcafe and various pundits (including, but not limited to Alex Scott) was using this definition routinely on TV a good few years before Mourinho finally mentioned the word. This notion that people caught onto a Mourinho buzzword is wrong.

fps

“Ceiling” really annoys me. As if using this term means you’re suddenly doing more than utterly guessing where a player may end up based on very little.

fps

No it didn't. :lol:

Redcafe and various pundits (including, but not limited to Alex Scott) was using this definition routinely on TV a good few years before Mourinho finally mentioned the word. This notion that people caught onto a Mourinho buzzword is wrong.
They may have been using it, but I also noticed that after Mourinho used it the term was everywhere. This isn’t about who used it in public first.

It should only be used for a select few players. Less than 10, maybe even 5 players in a generation are generational talents.
the problem is a generation is not a single point in time, it clearly covers 5-10 years, and is quite frankly a ridiculous term. It’s utter drivel.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
the problem is a generation is not a single point in time, it clearly covers 5-10 years, and is quite frankly a ridiculous term. It’s utter drivel.
It becomes drivel when people use it for just anyone or use it too early. I've seen Greenwood labelled as such, maybe he is but it's still too early in his career. Contrast this with Mbappé who was dominating the CL and then went on to have a great world Cup.

“Ceiling” really annoys me. As if using this term means you’re suddenly doing more than utterly guessing where a player may end up based on very little.
cant stand ceiling. Anyone who posts it instantly goes well down in my estimation.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When they say someone is playing the “Quarterback role” really bugs me. This isn’t American fecking football!!
This one bugs me too. I wonder if NFL quarterbacks ever get compared to deep lying midfielders. I assume they do not.

I'm all for terminology to summarize complex things, but that isn't it. It's just a needless simile.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
"Cynical challenge/foul". In America, "Cynical" is a word that would never be used in connection with a sporting event, as most of the audience would have no clue what it meant in any context. I actually like the phrase, just caught me off guard the first few times I heard it.