Football Kits 24/25 - the beginning of minimalist club crests?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I know it's not the first kit to have it but it's maybe the first time a major club has used a simplified crest on a home kit, I think

decorativeed

It's not so much the first time as a revival of what they used to have back in the 70s and 80s. Liverpool did the same a few years back, rolling back the design transgressions of the 90s and 2000s and simplifying theirs.

I think it's a good move. I really like us using just the red devil on our third kit, and apparently doing the same next season.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I hate the new crests, and how clubs are making them all look the same, and it's not just here but across Europe.

Pretty much every crest of Juve's (barring the 1979-1990 one, no offence @horsechoker) is better than the current one.

Even Villa - the older crests had more character and personality.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I hate the new crests, and how clubs are making them all look the same, and it's not just here but across Europe.

Pretty much every crest of Juve's (barring the 1979-1990 one, no offence @horsechoker) is better than the current one.

Now post the German ones :wenger:

suheilsworld

Arsenal's kit with too much white and chelsea's blue. That is the first time I have seen a hint of blue in their home kit. Seems like a kit for London FC

padzilla

Hipster
I know it's not the first kit to have it but it's maybe the first time a major club has used a simplified crest on a home kit, I think

Haven't Liverpool been using the minimalist Liver Bird crest on their kit for some years now? Even though it's not the official club crest?

Aston Villa had no badge at all on a mid-80s kit - just the initials AVFC.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

This could be Chelsea’s third kit. I’m in love with it already. Would love that crest on the home shirt too.

padzilla

Hipster

Why is nobody commenting on the fact this kit launch implies Arsenal will be wearing orange belts as well?

decorativeed

Arsenal's kit with too much white and chelsea's blue. That is the first time I have seen a hint of blue in their home kit. Seems like a kit for London FC
I take it you weren't around in the 90s? They've had blue on their kits loads of times. It was also their sock colour for decades.

Edit: And as recently as two years ago.

Big Andy

Bloke

Why do they keep changing which way the lion is looking?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Holy moly. Might have to change teams.
It could just be someone taking liberties given that nothing has been confirmed about the rumoured deal with the Jordan brand. Who knows. Usually kit leaks like this tend to be pretty spot on though.

Spoony

The People's President
The cnuts will have the jumpman logo? As for United I've never been a fan of the devil part of the badge...much prefer the 80s and early 90s badge. And Arsenal's cannon looks good.

Grande

Why do they keep changing which way the lion is looking?
In heraldic symbolism, it’s usual to recognize a figure turned leftwards as looking towards the past, while turned to the right it pertains to the future.

So in 1878 and for the first epoch, Aston Villa was a new club focusing on a future of establishing themselves and conquering English football. They built themselves up to achieve, but with their heads in the future did not live sufficiently in the moment ti actualize their potential fully. When they changed to a centered and symmetric bagde, they became one of the most successful teams of early English football history, winning six of their seven league titles in that period. In 1969, after some lean years, they became unhealthily obsessed with their previous successes, trying to recreate grandeur of old. This only yielded one league title in 54 years. Last year, they decided again to look towards the future, and are now qualified for the Champions League for the first time.

But they will not win another league title until they switch to a symmetric psychedelic mandala resembling an IQ test puzzle for the esthetically challenged and colour blind.

Reactions: Fortitude

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This could be Chelsea’s third kit. I’m in love with it already. Would love that crest on the home shirt too.

-_- where the feck have you lot found a stylist from? And can you send them our way?

Frank Grimes

Liverpool is the only one where I think it really works. Their official badge was way too busy but the bastards nailed it going back to the Liver bird only, looks clean and still unmistakably them. The bastards.

thisisnottaken1

The cnuts will have the jumpman logo? As for United I've never been a fan of the devil part of the badge...much prefer the 80s and early 90s badge. And Arsenal's cannon looks good.
We need to put the words “football club” back on our badge.

Todd

I'm of the opinion that home and away kits should always have the full club badge, and the third kit is the place where you should be doing some experimenting, if you're inclined to.

That Chelsea shirt is a masterpiece, by the way.

decorativeed

I'm of the opinion that home and away kits should always have the full club badge, and the third kit is the place where you should be doing some experimenting, if you're inclined to.

That Chelsea shirt is a masterpiece, by the way.
My theory from the other thread is confirmed! I think that Chelsea shirt is dreadfully tacky.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hate that Arsenal kit, why are the badges and logo so big?

klsv

It's fine for Arsenal. The crest they have had since the early 2000s was already as ugly as they can get.

I don't mind having just the devil on ours if it's just for the third kit. Leave it as it is for the home kit, though

doubleohseven

The ship remaining on the crest provokes awkward conversations about slavery, which in turn will provoke the 'anti-woke' brigade into action.

Can see it turning ugly if not resolved soon.

Chipper

Adulterer.
The ship remaining on the crest provokes awkward conversations about slavery, which in turn will provoke the 'anti-woke' brigade into action.

Can see it turning ugly if not resolved soon.
Is it not referencing the ship canal, built after slavery ended? Manchester couldn't really have ships until then and while Manchester obviously is connected with cotton in a big way, and therefore slavery in the US, by then it was Egyptian cotton anyway.

Edit: Kind of surprised we got away with the devil depiction back in the day, first appearing at a time where many more people were religious. I did see a bloke going on a rant about it on Youtube what must have been at least 10 years ago. He was saying we're an evil club because of it but that's the only time I ever encountered resisitence to it.

Last edited:

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Is it not referencing the ship canal, built after slavery ended? Manchester couldn't really have ships until then and while Manchester obviously is connected with cotton in a big way, and therefore slavery in the US, by then it was Egyptian cotton.
You would be correct but that won't stop the outcry from certain sections of society.

Slavery abolished: 1807
Shipping Canal Opened: 1894

doubleohseven

Edit: Kind of surprised we got away with the devil depiction back in the day, first appearing at a time where many more people were religious. I did see a bloke going on a rant about it on Youtube what must have been at least 10 years ago. He was saying we're an evil club because of it but that's the only time I ever encountered resisitence to it.
This is quite interesting, yes.

You would be correct but that won't stop the outcry from certain sections of society.

Slavery abolished: 1807
Shipping Canal Opened: 1894
Not quite.

The ship canal, which was not added to the conversation from me, is not fully represented by the ship. It's extremely tenable whether the crest's ship truly alludes to the ship canal.

It's actually taken from the city's coat of arms, adopted long before the ship canal was opened.

This logo dates from 1842, when the city was still a borough and still enriching itself processing the produce of slavery from the Americas. Such produce entered the city on ships.

The ship was inputted upon the COA to represent Manchester's 'trade links to the world'.

Of course, the club's may still have opted to glory the ship canal, and by simple association used the coat of arms design, but, if so, they're both still in use of a symbol of a Manchester synonymous with the slave trade.

Hence the supposed 'outcry' from the 'certain sections of society' you fail to describe.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think that Chelsea 3rd shirt looks great but I wouldn't want us to go that route again. I love our badge and the logo of just the Devil never looks that good to me.