Gaming Football Manager 2014

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
New tactics look interesting. Good that you can fine tune them a bit more. End of October I guess?

Levo

Band of Brothers
Liking the option of being able to loan back a player after purchasing them.

Minkaro

That match plan creator looks great. Not sure how often I'd use it, as I rarely holiday, but nice thing to have.

Lots more options in the player conversations as well, by the looks of it.

Also this. Been wanting this one for a while now.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Made me think of one thing that I went through just recently. Signed a player whose contract was running out. It's August and I'm getting him for free on January 1st. Now why can't I loan him until then after the deal has been done?

Zen

Read how football manager stole my life the last few days while commuting on the train......bringing back memories, and well yeah, even though some seem disappointed by the book, for £1.06, i thought it was a cool read and brought back plenty of fond memories and some damn good insight.

But yeah, my addiction to FM will never die, however little they improve it year on year, you can guarantee I'm buying it and putting in a 20+ year game somewhere.

NoLogo

A few good improvements but nothing ground braking. I hope they really improve interaction with players and the transfer AI of the opposition managers though. A lot of work needs to be done in that department.

Minkaro

I hope they fix international management. Sick of the media going "WHY HAVEN'T YOU PICKED JAMES MILNER? HE'S IN AMAZING FORM."

He's scored twice in one game for fecking Barnsley.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I hope they fix international management. Sick of the media going "WHY HAVEN'T YOU PICKED JAMES MILNER? HE'S IN AMAZING FORM."

He's scored twice in one game for fecking Barnsley.
Not too different from real life international management.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Match Engine:
Around 51 seconds into that video is one of the most frustrating things in FM. Player is in acres of space, but he headers it right back to the opposition. So annoying.

NoLogo

Around 51 seconds into that video is one of the most frustrating things in FM. Player is in acres of space, but he headers it right back to the opposition. So annoying.

Yeah there are a lot of weird things going on tbh, like when your striker is clean through on goal but decides to run towards the right or the left for no reason or just passes the ball back while in a perfect positions for a shot from not too far away.

On a positive note the keepers seem much less retarded then they often are in FM13.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Cloud saving. Hells yes. That will save me a lot of bother.
I wonder how that will work though. I didn't play last years edition, but I'm assuming save games are still massive as they were before that. Obviously (?) it won't upload every time you save but even if it waits until the end of your session you still need to leave your computer on for a good while if you want it uploaded. Unless they make it so only the actual changes to the file is uploaded, but I figure that would still be quite a bit of data with all the constant changes (player's stats changes slightly all the time etc.). I mean, if you have 3Mbit upload it'll take you roughly three seconds per MB. That's about five minutes per 100 MB.

I agree though, cloud save is a brilliant idea for this game. Copying a game back and forth between your laptop and desktop is a bit of a pain, especially the time you forget to copy it to your laptop before going on a long train journey or whatever.

Liam147

On Probation
Cloud saving seems neither here nor there. I've got dropbox and it does the job fine.

And that ME didn't look anything special. The actual physics didn't seem improved, and the sound was shocking. I never have sound on anyway, but the only faint crowd noises you could hear when a goal went in were jeers. Not once did I hear any cheering.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Hopefully they fix the stupid fecking fees you're quoted for players. I thought that it had improved towards the start of FM 2013 but once you get a couple of seasons in it is back to the ridiculous.

There have only been a couple of players in real life to go for over £50 million but in FM you get 4 or 5 each season. :houllier:

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The wages...they need to sort that out badly. It got absolutely out of hand on FM13.

NoLogo

Hopefully they fix the stupid fecking fees you're quoted for players. I thought that it had improved towards the start of FM 2013 but once you get a couple of seasons in it is back to the ridiculous.

There have only been a couple of players in real life to go for over £50 million but in FM you get 4 or 5 each season. :houllier:

That's strange. Never happens in my save games. In fact there seems to be a hard cap on what the AI is willing to pay for players and it's 46M GBP. There is a thread over at the SI forums where other players pretty much report the same that the money teams spend never exceeds this limit.

Are you playing an older patch?

The wages, too...they need to sort that out badly. It got absolutely out of hand on FM13.
Hmm can't really say I have trouble with wages. Players usually only ask for stupid wages if their reputation is a lot higher than the club who wants to sign them. The less interested a player is in joining your club the higher will his wage demands generally be and of course there are also very greedy agents who ask for a shitload of money.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's strange. Never happens in my save games. In fact there seems to be a hard cap on what the AI is willing to pay for players and it's 46M GBP. There is a thread over at the SI forums where other players pretty much report the same that the money teams spend never exceeds this limit.

Are you playing an older patch?

Nope, i kind of pulled £50 million out of the hat but it is around the £40-60 million mark which there are 4 or 5 players going for each season. This isn't counting the times where i am being quoted £80-120 million for players only for them to go to another team for £15 million a few weeks later.

EDIT: KingEric7 is right on wages too, you will get players asking for wage rises every few months sometimes because they are going through a good run of form. Especially if you were taken over there were some who wanted 150-250k.

KingEric7

The worst is when you sign someone like Ronaldo. I'm guessing if you ever managed to pull off the Ronado/Messi signings without being taken over, you would quickly end up either bankrupt or without half your team. :nervous: I had to put all my budget into wages just to afford people like Smalling who were asking for way over 200k a week.

NoLogo

That's really strange. Highest fee in my 7 season running career game so far was €49,5M for Romulu payed by Arsenal.

The PL also seems to be the only league where teams regularly pay €30M+. In the Bundesliga, where I play, teams rarely ever pay above €20M for a player, even Bayern seems to be very tight on cash.

Not even Madrid and Barca seem to be willing to splash any cash, they rarely buy above €30M players. Neymar is btw still in Brazil because no one pays his huge transfer fee.

NoLogo

The worst is when you sign someone like Ronaldo. I'm guessing if you ever managed to pull off the Ronado/Messi signings without being taken over, you would quickly end up either bankrupt or without half your team. :nervous: I had to put all my budget into wages just to afford people like Smalling who were asking for way over 200k a week.

That's really, really strange. Never happened to me tbh and no idea why that happens in your game. I once had the problem in an FMC game that Rooney was asking for €250k per week and the club only allowed me to offer €210k and he wouldn't move an inch away from his demands but that's really the only trouble I ever had with wages.

Just take my very talented youngster I posted about in the FM13 thread. When he asked for an improved contract I was already afraid he would ask for €60k a week, which is quite a lot for my Mönchengladbach side, but he was reasonable and signed a new 5 year contract for €35k a week which is more than fair I feel.

Oh yeah one reason why players sometimes ask for a lot of money is when there is still a lot of room in your wage budget, but Smalling on 200k p/w seems really harsh.

KingEric7

He was worth it. :D I think at one point he was the best player in the world ratings-wise, but most of the time he was just behind Messi and around the same as Ronaldo. He scored 20 in one season just from headers, the mentalist.

Suppose I can't really complain based on that but he was one of many. Rafael was asking for absurd wages, Alaba, the regens, etc...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Oh yeah one reason why players sometimes ask for a lot of money is when there is still a lot of room in your wage budget, but Smalling on 200k p/w seems really harsh.

That's stupid though, players aren't going to know how much room you have on the wage bill to spend so for the game to calculate it by the amount of money your club has is stupid, as Smalling isn't going to get or ask for 200k anywhere else.

NoLogo

That's stupid though, players aren't going to know how much room you have on the wage bill to spend so for the game to calculate it by the amount of money your club has is stupid, as Smalling isn't going to get or ask for 200k anywhere else.

I agree things like wage budget should be unknown to the AI and not play a role in negotiations. It could be said though that the agents and players know if you made a good profit the seasons before and therefor will ask for a bigger slice of the pie so in some way it makes sense that they will ask for more money from a rich club then from a poor.

One trick though to sometimes lower the wage demands is to put your budget slider all towards the transfer budget so that you don't have too much available wage budget open before you start to negotiate with a player.

Non the less if Smalling is world class in his game 200k doesn't seem to unreasonable for a player of that category playing for one of the richest clubs in the world.

Ainu

Non the less if Smalling is world class in his game 200k doesn't seem to unreasonable for a player of that category playing for one of the richest clubs in the world.

Vidic is on €105k at the start in my game in FM 13, and he must be one of the highest rated defenders in the game attribute wise. Okay you could say wages naturally increase over time, as in real life, but double that ina few years time seems very steep.

KingEric7

I agree things like wage budget should be unknown to the AI and not play a role in negotiations. It could be said though that the agents and players know if you made a good profit the seasons before and therefor will ask for a bigger slice of the pie so in some way it makes sense that they will ask for more money from a rich club then from a poor.

One trick though to sometimes lower the wage demands is to put your budget slider all towards the transfer budget so that you don't have too much available wage budget open before you start to negotiate with a player.

Way, way over 200k. More like 275-280k with Smalling...:nervous: I think Alaba and Rafael were on a little less than that, with Ronaldo in the 300,000s. There were a couple of regens on that as well I think, I'll have to check some time.

Castia

I still play the game in 2D I find it much mure enjoyable than the 3d engine. 2014 doesn't look much if an upgrade either.

NoLogo

Way, way over 200k. More like 275-280k with Smalling...:nervous: I think Alaba and Rafael were on a little less than that, with Ronaldo in the 300,000s. There were a couple of regens on that as well I think, I'll have to check some time.

Yeah like I said something like that never happened to me I don't know why this is going on in your save game, either you play a custom database where someone increased the money clubs get or something like that or I don't know what's going on, I never had to pay a player over 250k and that was Rooney who already was on 225k or something.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah like I said something like that never happened to me I don't know why this is going on in your save game, either you play a custom database where someone increased the money clubs get or something like that or I don't know what's going on, I never had to pay a player over 250k and that was Rooney who already was on 225k or something.

I'm not playing on a custom database and it was happening. If you suddenly have an injection of cash the wages people expect rocket which is ridiculous.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I was playing FM13 last night. Hernandez was in the middle of an incredible goalscoring run, 18 goals in 23 games.

I get an e-mail from my assistant saying Chicharito wants to renegotiate his contract and I'm advised to sort it out or he will become unhappy. I go to the negotiation screen and he is demanding £280k a week,£80k appearance fee, £8 million signing on fee and £6 million for his fecking agent.

Absolutely ridiculous.

KingEric7

Just left the game as it is. Never patched it either. Is a common criticism by the sounds of it, a lot of people in the thread were going on about it at the time.

NoLogo

Just left the game as it is. Never patched it either. Is a common criticism by the sounds of it, a lot of people in the thread were going on about it at the time.

I don't know, maybe it's a problem with the unpatched version of the game but like I said I never had problems with any outlandish wage demands and can't find any recent threads on the SI forums on that topic either.

If I remember I read about this fairly early after the game was released.

Btw are you playing the full version or the classic version?

KingEric7

I don't know, maybe it's a problem with the unpatched version of the game but like I said I never had problems with any outlandish wage demands and can't find any recent threads on the SI forums on that topic either.

If I remember I read about this fairly early after the game was released.

Btw are you playing the full version or the classic version?
Normal game. Maybe it is the unpatched version - was meaning to get it but never got round to it in the end.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Cloud saving seems neither here nor there. I've got dropbox and it does the job fine.

And that ME didn't look anything special. The actual physics didn't seem improved, and the sound was shocking. I never have sound on anyway, but the only faint crowd noises you could hear when a goal went in were jeers. Not once did I hear any cheering.
It can take ages to UL stuff to dropbox. Better to be doing it in the background with Steam open than downloading again and again. With FM save a usb key works better than Dropbox

I wonder how that will work though. I didn't play last years edition, but I'm assuming save games are still massive as they were before that. Obviously (?) it won't upload every time you save but even if it waits until the end of your session you still need to leave your computer on for a good while if you want it uploaded. Unless they make it so only the actual changes to the file is uploaded, but I figure that would still be quite a bit of data with all the constant changes (player's stats changes slightly all the time etc.). I mean, if you have 3Mbit upload it'll take you roughly three seconds per MB. That's about five minutes per 100 MB.

I agree though, cloud save is a brilliant idea for this game. Copying a game back and forth between your laptop and desktop is a bit of a pain, especially the time you forget to copy it to your laptop before going on a long train journey or whatever.
I'm assuming that they compress it but I know as much as you.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Not too different from real life international management.
Isn't that the exact opposite of real life? You can be English, shit, and play for Liverpool and subsequently get in the England team but if you are English, playing well, and play for Watford, no one gives a feck