Football phrases that grinds your gears

RedPed

Whatabouter.
When talking about VAR and shit like that, whenever anybody says "We wouldn't have anything to talk about in the pub afterwards", or words to that effect, I'm always overcome with the urge to do them serious harm.

Withnail

When talking about VAR and shit like that, whenever anybody says "We wouldn't have anything to talk about in the pub afterwards", or words to that effect, I'm always overcome with the urge to do them serious harm.
Ha ha the most ridiculous argument for allowing terrible obviously wrong decisions to stand. It's amazing people write that stuff down and hit post.

MattyLT

I can do without all the sexual innuendo, like "getting in behind", "leaving a massive, gaping hole", "Andrew Hasanally" and "Nicky Butt". It really has no place in football.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I can do without all the sexual innuendo, like "getting in behind", "leaving a massive, gaping hole", "Andrew Hasanally" and "Nicky Butt". It really has no place in football.
You've got to hold and give
But do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast
But you must get to the line
They'll always hit you and hurt you
Defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them
Get 'round the back

studs

"he's a baller." like two women talking about a new born baby who won't stop crying.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Commentators ( who should know better) aping footballers with phrases like “ he gets turned on it” instead of “ he turns “.

TheLittleOne

"He's young, he only gets better and better."

If that was the case we would have 1Million Messis running around.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I lean towards an all out ban on use of the word 'transitions' in a footballing context.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
"He was unplayable today"

Ohh so he played, and he played very well ,so he was actually very playable..

Another one is just Ally McCoist in general, horrible commentator. "I huv to be honest with ya a really do"

If you have to keep repeating you're being honest you probably aren't very honest. His whole commentary is about 5 phrases he just repeats over and over "it really is"

kaku06

“He can do everything. He can tackle, he can score, he can defend, he can pass” when describing even a decent midfielder. That is so misleading like he can do everything to an elite level.

Also, I have seen this line used for Gerrard so many times by pundits to justify he was better than Scholes.

Gazza

“He’s almost passed it in there” when a player scores without using their laces

“He’s an honest player”/“You won’t find a more honest professional than…”

“Of all people” (not specific to football)

“They need to build their team around him”

“These are scenes that we really don’t want to see” when players square up to each other but don’t actually do anything

“They need someone who can take the game by the scruff of the neck”

Spaghetti

Mom's
“He’s almost passed it in there” when a player scores without using their laces

“He’s an honest player”/“You won’t find a more honest professional than…”

“Of all people” (not specific to football)

“They need to build their team around him”

“These are scenes that we really don’t want to see” when players square up to each other but don’t actually do anything

“They need someone who can take the game by the scruff of the neck”
And in reality, it’s what we all want to see!

sallycinnamin

'Unforced errors'' has crept in the last few years. Has me seeing snooker tables or especially tennis courts.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
“these loose fitting shorts are better than those worn in the 80s.”

Oranges038

Draft excluder...

He had a right to go down there.. or That was clever = he dived, but he's English or plays for Man City or Liverpool so it's OK.

NWRed

half spaces - usually used on podcasts by people who are nowhere near good enough to be employed as football coach but want to sound like they are.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He was set to fail - it was quite popular during Ole's reign whenever the club refused to allow the amateur manager to spend another 120m on the likes of AWB and Maguire only to win nothing

Muninman

'Denied by the post'.
It's a miss. The post doesn't move or make a save...
Apologies if someone has added this - I haven't read all 26 pages.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
half spaces - usually used on podcasts by people who are nowhere near good enough to be employed as football coach but want to sound like they are.
You'd prefer it if everyone just made up their own word for that area of the pitch?

Scampi

“In a good / bad moment” referring to a run of form. Something brought in by Mourinho in his first Chelsea spell and latched onto by Klopp. Everyone seems to have adopted it now.

ShinjiNinja26

This is more a Twitter thing but when people refer to a players match stats as “game by numbers” it really fecking grates on me for some reason. That Statman Dave is the worst for it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Comparing deep midfield playmakers to Quarterbacks. Seems to be a thing commentators do, rather than pundits. It's just an unnecessary way to describe a midfielder hoofing the ball out wide.