Football phrases that grinds your gears

theballisround

The run in is the "business end" of the season. Well, the whole season is the business end of the season.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
'Press Resistance ' seems to be making a comeback recently, after a brief hiatus.

It's a meaningless phrase used by people who want to sound clever.
No player is press resistant, it just doesn't exist.

Siorac

'Press Resistance ' seems to be making a comeback recently, after a brief hiatus.

It's a meaningless phrase used by people who want to sound clever.
No player is press resistant, it just doesn't exist.
Are you saying that no player is better at holding on to the ball under pressure than any other player?

Champ

Are you saying that no player is better at holding on to the ball under pressure than any other player?
No, I'm saying no one is resistant to a press.

To be resistant would mean they aren't affected by that press, but actually they are affected because they've had to move or react in order to deal with the press.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
One I never really understood was saying a player "is on a hat trick" when they were actually on a brace and hadn't gotten a hat trick yet to be on.

Siorac

No, I'm saying no one is resistant to a press.

To be resistant would mean they aren't affected by that press, but actually they are affected because they've had to move or react in order to deal with the press.
Why would it mean that? "Immune" or "impervious" is just one possible meaning of "resistant". Press resistant = capable of successfully resisting the press. Which in this case does not mean the newspapers.

Anustart89

One I never really understood was saying a player "is on a hat trick" when they were actually on a brace and hadn't gotten a hat trick yet to be on.
Imagine if someone were to say that at the start of the game, every player on the pitch is on a goal

Champ

Why would it mean that? "Immune" or "impervious" is just one possible meaning of "resistant". Press resistant = capable of successfully resisting the press. Which in this case does not mean the newspapers.
Because that's the meaning of resistant! :lol:

Old Ma Crow

Based on our current form: “How did he not save that?” and “How did he miss that?”.

Champ

No, that's one meaning of it. Ever heard of air resistance? Do you think it refers to things being... impervious to air?
When being discussed as a force yes, not when being discussed as a tangible object.

Peelhead

Probably been brought up before, but: agents/managers talking about "projects" when signing someone for some club, when really the pompous twits mean:
"Player xy likes the project of z" -> "They pay what we ask"/"We pay what they ask"
That's my 'cause celebre'! Grrr

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Heard it last night and have never understood where it came from.

"He didn't get enough purchase on it?".

Champ

Press Resilient any better?
Yeah, that makes more sense, as it shows that something is being affected by a happening yet is not disturbed by it quite as much.

Thanks.

Josh 76

The new one I’m stating to hear
“Hybrid formation”
Wtf is that !

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
The new one I’m stating to hear
“Hybrid formation”
Wtf is that !
A formation whose parents came from different species, like a liger.

Maybe someone is bringing in formations from rugby or waterpolo or something

Siorac

Performances is the fairest measure but if you want to rely on a number position makes way more sense than points.
Let's say we have Team A and Team B.

In season 1, Team A wins the league, Team B finishes second. In the summer, Team A loses five of its best players.

The next season Team B gets the exact same results as the previous season. Same amount of wins, same amount of points, same goal difference. But this time they win the league because Team A collapses without their best players and finishes mid-table.

Has Team B improved? I'd say no, not at all. They became the best team in the league due to their rival getting worse. They stood still and their position improved only thanks to factors entirely outside their control (in our hypothetical scenario, Team A's best players were all bought by Team Evil, playing in a different league).

TR1LL

“Inverted fullback” . No idea why but when I hear it, grinds my gears.

Yorke to Cole

Managed periods of the game quite well
Handled their threat
Beat the press
Squad is not strong enough

Anything that Roy Keane comes out with, when on Sky
Anything Danny Murphy comes out with on commentary
Anything Brendan Rogers used to say on post match interviews

Siorac

Squad is not strong enough
:lol: what on Earth is the problem with that? That barely even qualifies as a "phrase". Does calling someone a "good player" annoy you? Do you seethe with rage when someone says "that striker is quick"?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Let's say we have Team A and Team B.

In season 1, Team A wins the league, Team B finishes second. In the summer, Team A loses five of its best players.

The next season Team B gets the exact same results as the previous season. Same amount of wins, same amount of points, same goal difference. But this time they win the league because Team A collapses without their best players and finishes mid-table.

Has Team B improved? I'd say no, not at all. They became the best team in the league due to their rival getting worse. They stood still and their position improved only thanks to factors entirely outside their control (in our hypothetical scenario, Team A's best players were all bought by Team Evil, playing in a different league).
Winning the league requires a lot more than just points. There is a lot more pressure when you are on top. Sustaining that and not bottling it to actually win the league is a big difference than just finishing second with the same amount of points. That's exactly why I think it's stupid.

A team that gets more points but finishes 5th is not the same as a team that finished top 4 with less points.

Yorke to Cole

:lol: what on Earth is the problem with that? That barely even qualifies as a "phrase". Does calling someone a "good player" annoy you? Do you seethe with rage when someone says "that striker is quick"?
It is something that is said when it is visibly obvious. Particularly, when Keane says it after a United defeat. He'll praise United when they win, but does 360% when they lose and starts on the obvious players, Fred, Wan Bissaka etc.

Yes Roy, we get it. However, the club has been so badly managed we can't sell 10 players, otherwise we will barely not have anyone to select you t**t.