Footballers crying

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Unless you are 6ft4, ripped and packed with muscle, cut trees with an axe and fight alligators with your bare hands I'm not having that.

It's laughable for some Joe Schmoe to try to say who is and isn't a man.

I'm not 6ft4 (remove an inch, 6ft3) nor fight alligators.
The ad hominem is not necessary. I am aware that I have a different perspective on life based on what I've been through and how I look.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Diogenes, given the irony of the above.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm not 6ft4 (remove an inch, 6ft3) nor fight alligators.
The ad hominem is not necessary. I am aware that I have a different perspective on life based on what I've been through and how I look.
It wasn't an insult. Footballers would pass the 'manliness' test of the vast majority of people and would be far more 'manly' than you (and me). Unless you are the very embodiment of masculinity (maybe you are Henry Cavill) I find it very rich that you are talking about who is and isn't manly.

The only exception is if you are an old war veteran (if you are then I apologize). War veterans have gone through enough trials and tribulations to question other people's manliness :D

Hynestein

Honestly, feck off with this toxic masculinity shit. It’s like the buzz word of the day. You can’t say anything anymore without the faux rage of social justice warriors. I’m as left wing, and equal rights as they come. Raised in an all female household, and have a daughter in an interracial family, and I still think it’s a bit soft for grown adults to be crying over work. Men or women. It’s got nothing to do with masculinity and everything to do with maturity.
To begin, I'm not enraged, nor am I a social justice warrior. As for it being a buzzword, I understand why you'd think that. However if you look at the statistics you'll see alarmingly high suicide rates amongst young men all over the world, no doubt partially due to the fact that addressing your emotions openly and baring all makes you 'less of a man'.

And you're missing the point regarding the latter half of your comment. This isn't just their job, it's their entire life. I work in retail, if someone doesn't buy a tshirt one day am I gonna be upset? Obviously not. However if I'd worked my entire life and found myself at the peak, the culmination of a life's worth of effort, and I had to leave the pitch after 20 minutes or so and there's nothing I could do about it, I might feel upset enough to cry. It'd be understandable if you ask me.

Kag

Apologizing when you're crying isn't brave. He was basically doing a "please don't kill me" instead of just going inside. Instead Liverpool fans had to look at him walking around the pitch crying alone while Real were celebrating the win.

Salah and Carvajal didn't just get injured. If it were any other game of the season they wouldn't have cried. The fact was they were missing the final and in their mind probably the WC too and in Salah's case his first WC and possibly the only one he'd go to.
He'd have been criticised for pissing off down the tunnel, so he can't win. He fronted up and got upset. It's how tennis players can get upset when having to interview straight after a loss. I can understand that.

Salah and Carvajal, though. Babies. Walk off with a bit of dignity and encourage your mate who's replacing you.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
To begin, I'm not enraged, nor am I a social justice warrior. As for it being a buzzword, I understand why you'd think that. However if you look at the statistics you'll see alarmingly high suicide rates amongst young men all over the world, no doubt partially due to the fact that addressing your emotions openly and baring all makes you 'less of a man'.

And you're missing the point regarding the latter half of your comment. This isn't just their job, it's their entire life. I work in retail, if someone doesn't buy a tshirt one day am I gonna be upset? Obviously not. However if I'd worked my entire life and found myself at the peak, the culmination of a life's worth of effort, and I had to leave the pitch after 20 minutes or so and there's nothing I could do about it, I might feel upset enough to cry. It'd be understandable if you ask me.
2014 stats for the US show suicide rates are very similar to those 100 years ago, we're far more liberal a society now than we we're even in 1950's let alone the conservative 1900's yet suicide rate per capita remains similar.
Stats for men on suicide rates by the numbers show a disporportional amount are those going through a divorce (asset strip) and for youth, it's those raised in a single parent household, (aka. no father figure or influence) 63% higher than average.

Edit, also did you know women attempt suicide up to rates 3x higher than males, the biggest factor between the genders seems to be the success rate.

Last edited:

Hamnat

Absolutely agree with you.

People judging these players by your own daily jobs is the first mistake. It is great if you actually LOVE your normal job and are doing something that makes you excited to get up and go in. But, lets be honest a lot of us are just going to work to get our paychecks to feed our families, pay or bills etc.

For these players most of them are doing what they LOVE to do. They are passionate about it. They work hard everyday to be the best they can be, they eat, sleep, train, manage their lives specifically to achieve goals for themselves and their teams.

When they do all that injure themselves right at the finish line, right as they are playing for history, their personal goal OF COURSE they will be crushed. They didn't want to let themselves down, the team, their fans.

If I messed up on a report I owe my boss I worked on a couple days or weeks I am not going to cry. Because it doesn't mean that much to me other than I do what it takes to keep my job really. I suspect that's what a lot of us non players think. You cant apply what "you" would do. Or Your work situations to these specific cases.

Reactions: Penna

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He'd have been criticised for pissing off down the tunnel, so he can't win. He fronted up and got upset. It's how tennis players can get upset when having to interview straight after a loss. I can understand that.

Salah and Carvajal, though. Babies. Walk off with a bit of dignity and encourage your mate who's replacing you.
How would he be criticised for that? It's the most normal thing to do after a loss.

Tennis players are solo performers and are required to do interviews just like managers in football.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
It’s fine for men and women to cry, no matter what it’s about.

Thinking otherwise is archaic.