Footballers getting political

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What do we think? I don't mind at all. They're grown ups, I'm a grown up.

Zinchenko has today posted on his Instagram a message saying "I stand with Israel" and since then it's apparently been taken down an his Insta is currently set to private.

If that's what he thinks, should he keep his mouth shut to make his club happy?

Prodigy24

Anti Russia but pro Israel? Hmm, I can see why his post got such backlash.

Arsenal completely froze Özil out when he made a statement about the Uyghur genocide in China. Wonder if they will do the same with this guy.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Arsenal absolutely character assassinated Ozil for saying something similar. Let’s see if they have the balls to be consistent with Zinchenko.

Tyrion

Arsenal completely froze Özil out when he made a statement about the Uyghur genocide in China. Wonder if they will do the same with this guy.
Doubt it. Ozil was probably frozen out because China is a big market. Palestine isn't.

Companies normally take the side in conflicts that have the biggest market.

Kaos

Zinchenko can do one the hypocrite.

IIRC they silenced Elneny when he made a similar stance in support of Palestine.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He is entitled to an opinion or support of any situation as a free thinking human being.

If people don’t have the legs to stand on with him, that’s for them to deal with and not really his problem.

There is this current trend of people thinking everyone should be aligned on issues. What nonsense.

Big Ray

Dearie me. Probably just a case of another simple footballer but by golly, they should know the facts on such matters before posting anything and know that what happened today is because of 75 years of apartheid, subjugation and oppression of Palestinians by a brutal Zionist regime. These facts cannot be denied.

kthanksbye

It shouldn't be any of our (the fans') business, but the kind of world we live in, it somehow is. They're supposed to be players who entertain us, beyond that, their personal lives and their opinions should be irrelevant. Not to mention, the outrage is effectively useless, it makes no difference to Israel or Palestine, regardless of which side you're on.

Theonas

Scout
He is entitled to an opinion or support of any situation as a free thinking human being.

If people don’t have the legs to stand on with him, that’s for them to deal with and not really his problem.

There is this current trend of people thinking everyone should be aligned on issues. What nonsense.
Likewise, why are we advocating for this culture where everyone feels this need to express irrelevant opinions to the public? Taking sides in sensitive issues like this one does nothing but inflame emotions for no reason whatsoever. You can say people don't have to react but we know that people do. That's just human nature, why provoke and add fuel to the fire when your opinion is not relevant, you are no stakeholder in the conflict and frankly, the only reason you are giving it is that social media made people believe somehow that whatever thought or feeling they have is something the world is interested in. Social media companies make money out of getting people all riled up and angry with each other, why help them?

garelo

i'd much prefer my footballers to be apolitical cause i wonder when will it end if we allow this to continue? sure you can support israel but then you have no right to stop players from supporting palestina, or russia, or uyghur, or iraqi, or hawaii, etc, ect no? then the pitch would turn into political battlefield add football supporters who are notorious for tribalism, these are recipes for disaster.

Ceteris

i'd much prefer my footballers to be apolitical cause i wonder when will it end if we allow this to continue? sure you can support israel but then you have no right to stop players from supporting palestina, or russia, or uyghur, or iraqi, or hawaii, etc, ect no? then the pitch would turn into political battlefield add football supporters who are notorious for tribalism, these are recipes for disaster.
Your footballers? They are not fifa 23 career mode players

They are human beings with their own thoughts, Zinchenko posted that on his page, if you don't agree cool. Have your own opinion and run with it

Just because you watch him on TV playing football doesn't mean he has to please you.

Pronewbie

Peep

Because it's fake Western propaganda. Go visit yourself or watch the plethora of travel videos not by mainstream Western media. Kids learn the language, shopkeepers speak it, it's full of Uyghur culture. Can't say the same about white Europeans in the US. Don't neglect the "geo" in geopolitics. It's not coincidental that the US and its 3 letter agencies stirred up so much hate and trouble in key regions of its new imaginary cold war enemy, just to maintain its Empire's global hegemony.

Last edited:

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool

They are human beings with their own thoughts, Zinchenko posted that on his page, if you don't agree cool. Have your own opinion and run with it

Just because you watch him on TV playing football doesn't mean he has to please you.
It's just a figure of speech. He just means footballers.

garelo

i said in my previous comment about other political things didnt i? It's cute that you think zinchenko is the only player who can voice his opinion that happen to be linier with your own thought, what happen when a player voice his political view that is contrary to yours? for example one publicy state that he is against LGBT because of his religious view? and what do you think this will lead to? go on tell us...

Last edited:

owlo

It's not hypocrisy, and footballers should be able to voice their own opinions.

However given the demographics of supporters, it's not wise to publicly voice support for Israel as a professional sportsman. Goes for celebrities as a whole unless you're somebody like Gal Gadot or Rihanna where your loyalties have always been clear. Even Taylor Swift avoids it, and she's a one woman trendsetter.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't mind at all if they post about politics. They're members of society and are entitled to do so. I don't understand when people say they shouldn't talk about these things or issues.

On the other hand, if they do so and they say stupid shite like this, they deserve to be called out.

JediSith

Not so much opposed to players having political stances as I am the contradiction in how clubs deal with it.

If Arsenal did what they did with Ozil and Elmery on the grounds of “no politics” then they should do the same with Zichencko. Otherwise it’s just becoming no politics, unless if it’s our politics.

Should go without saying anyone who stands with Israel or Palestine is not supporting the death of the civilian of the other, unless if their words state that.

Pes6Monster

Let them have their say. People shouldnt be silenced
The people you refer to are employees of certain companies with whom they'd have contracts. The contracts they have will stipulate no public statements without prior consent. This is likely because such statements can militate sponsorship revenue.

They are not being 'silenced'. Just reminded of responsibilities they themselves agreed to, essentially for money. This is what has done for Dan Wooton and Laurence Fox on GB News.

The argument is how much authority an employer should have in this regard but, again, Zinchenko is on thousands a week, not simple breadline money. Whereas a contract breach may prove disastrous for those on lower wages, a footballer can simply afford the fine. Like John Terry in a disabled zone.

As for Zinchenko, his position is his own but will practically be determined by Israel's support for Ukraine. His hypocrisy is in playing for city and 'fly emirates' sponsored Arsenal as both are bankrolled by the UAE, which is housing Russian oligarches and supporting pro-Putin Assad in Syria.

A massive argument the commercial aspect of Arsenal wish to avoid, as they did with Ozil and Elneny.

MDFC Manager

I don't mind at all if they post about politics. They're members of society and are entitled to do so. I don't understand when people say they shouldn't talk about these things or issues.

On the other hand, if they do so and they say stupid shite like this, they deserve to be called out.
This. Easy one actually.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
What do we think? I don't mind at all. They're grown ups, I'm a grown up.

Zinchenko has today posted on his Instagram a message saying "I stand with Israel" and since then it's apparently been taken down an his Insta is currently set to private.

If that's what he thinks, should he keep his mouth shut to make his club happy?
Interesting attitude of 'omerta' from the main news outlets on this story.......

AFC NimbleThumb

It shouldn't be any of our (the fans') business, but the kind of world we live in, it somehow is. They're supposed to be players who entertain us, beyond that, their personal lives and their opinions should be irrelevant. Not to mention, the outrage is effectively useless, it makes no difference to Israel or Palestine, regardless of which side you're on.
This part.

Eugenius

They should be allowed to say what they want as long it's not offensive. They're not the civil service or the monarchy that need to be apolitical.

But obviously should be prepared to be called out and criticised if they say stupid things with no grounding.

Ceteris

i said in my previous comment about other political things didnt i? It's cute that you think zinchenko is the only player who can voice his opinion that happen to be linier with your own thought, what happen when a player voice his political view that is contrary to yours? for example one publicy state that he is against LGBT because of his religious view? and what do you think this will lead to? go on tell us...
I used They if you missed it, and where in my post did I say its linear with my thoughts?

I am never going to force my opinion on another human being and so should they do the same.

And to your last question, the fact that we have seen the light don't mean we force it on other people, let people find their eureka moment, how long ago was the whole UK against LGBTQ?

I don't know to tell anyone anything because as much as we all have opinions it doesn't matter to the next person

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club

Yup I agree , people are free to express their opinion and I should be free to say that (in my opinion) their opinion is a load of bollox (if I feel like it).

Ceteris

It's just a figure of speech. He just means footballers.
I know he means footballers and that's my issue.

We need to realise that as much as they wear the shirts of the teams we support don't mean that's all they

They are normal people just like us with their own thinking and that should be fine.

It's a different scenario if for example Zinchenko was forcing his opinion on everyone to take the same stand as him, but he didn't.

Nickelodeon

Footballers being silenced for social media posts is not a good sign. Zinchenko being anti-Russia and pro-Israel is his personal opinion. Personal opinions could be daft, sensible or downright stupid.

Watching the Beckham documentary, it feels that the media of that era is much more open while every statement today is stage managed and robotic. If a player puts a toe outside, the “posts” are immediately deleted. With clubs dictating social media posts for players, and dictatorial states increasingly becoming football club owners, where will it lead us? Whether we agree with Zinchenko or Ozil or whoever, putting across your political opinion on your personal platform is the subject of freedom of speech. Muzzling it because it was done in some instance in the past is a dangerous precedent.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
They are allowed to say what they feel. But they should have the courage of their convictions to stand by it even if they face consequences from their clubs. Zinchenko is a big enough player to withstand any backlash. What’re Arsenal gonna do? Not play him?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
They should be able to say what they want. The problem is if someone says something controversial/ something that a well connected group finds offensive, then much of the internet is mobilised to bring financial and other pressure on that person.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, because Israel is the country funding Ukraine.

I don't want to say to much, but to answer your question, I'll say no. However, if they are allowed to post political messages, then they need to accept the opinions of others. That said, it seems that people who say anything about Ukraine or Israel, get wiped off the face of the earth.

The side netting

This comes back to the problems of social media.
Go back 20 years and no one would know or even care what his views on Israel were. But now everyone has a platform, their egos kick in and they feel they can voice their opinions in their little protective bubble.

However, what so many of these players forget is that they are hired by organisations in the same way you or I are. They represent that organisation and need to think before they post stuff that could look like it's representing said organisation. It's no different to Gary Lineker expressing his views that then spilled onto the BBC. These people always forget who they are representing.

It's the same reason why office workers are told about sending sensitive content from work emails, it's because it represents the company. There's literally a statement at the bottom of most emails stating this fact, before they write.

He, and all the others, should shut up on political matters, especially on social media. Most of them aren't educated enough to understand world politics anyway. By all means have an opinion, just don't put it on social media thinking everyone else needs to hear it.

PoTMS

So Zincheko is OK with Israel illegally occupying Palestine but has a problem with Russia doing the same to his country?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So Zincheko is OK with Israel illegally occupying Palestine but has a problem with Russia doing the same to his country?
He is just a stupid person. Remember when he said that he wants to fight Russians, kill Putin by himself and shit but..... he can't because he has wife and kids :lol: .

ariveded

No issues. They are free to put anything on their own social media. Like in election season, many Brazilian footballer clearly showed their stance. It is freedom and has be respected.

My main issue when they bring their politics on the pitch. Like, Moeen Ali wearing the Free Palestine bands , on match day. Thats completely unethical and unsuitable.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

What's stupid about it?

Andersonson

The people you refer to are employees of certain companies with whom they'd have contracts. The contracts they have will stipulate no public statements without prior consent. This is likely because such statements can militate sponsorship revenue.

They are not being 'silenced'. Just reminded of responsibilities they themselves agreed to, essentially for money. This is what has done for Dan Wooton and Laurence Fox on GB News.

The argument is how much authority an employer should have in this regard but, again, Zinchenko is on thousands a week, not simple breadline money. Whereas a contract breach may prove disastrous for those on lower wages, a footballer can simply afford the fine. Like John Terry in a disabled zone.

As for Zinchenko, his position is his own but will practically be determined by Israel's support for Ukraine. His hypocrisy is in playing for city and 'fly emirates' sponsored Arsenal as both are bankrolled by the UAE, which is housing Russian oligarches and supporting pro-Putin Assad in Syria.

A massive argument the commercial aspect of Arsenal wish to avoid, as they did with Ozil and Elneny.
Meh. The players should get more freedom in their contracts. Players are prasing countries like Qatar and Saudi left and right now, and im pretty sure half of them dont even know what those countries stand for. If player stood more up for themselves and said no to such contracts i would be happy.