Footballers on Message-boards

Brophs

The One and Only
You are both right but Richardson who is the example we are using did get enough chances and he has a lot of the attributes necessary but couldn't gel them all consistently. There was an oft used phrase when we were kids, that was 'down there for dancin'' as they nodded towards your feet. Only later did it become clear what they meant. Keane is a perfect example of what football intelligence can achieve; with half of richardson skill but twice the physical strength and strength of mind more than compensated. So mental strength and strength of character are just as important. We, the fans are part of the club, we come with the deal ... the bigger the club the more fans the more strength of character it takes to not only play here, but to make mistakes and then just get on with it in your own head.

Have the supporters hounded anyone unfairly , I can't think of any at the moment.
Yeah it's true a players own mental attributes are just as important, but what I am taking issue with is the undercurrent of criticism that can surround players who are only finding their way in football. This is the sort of thing that can affect a players confidence irreparably. As good a player as he was at 20/21, Keane was not held up to the sort of scrutiny that Richardson was. He was allowed to develop at his own pace, and the fans warmed to him, due in no small part to his attitude to the game. Obviously the same could not be said of Richardson. I should say that I'm only using Richardson as an example, I'm not his biggest fan or anything.

I think Hargreaves has got a lot more stick than his performances deserves, especially when you take into account his stop-start season at a new club, in a new league. And that's when things are going well for the club!
Exactly. Most on here were gagging for Hargreaves to sign last year, but as soon as he gets here people say he isn't good enough. He is the same player he was 12 months ago, but people seem to want him to be more than he is, namely a screen in front of the back four who is extremely effective at winning the ball and protecting the defence/tracking runners from midfield. IF United go far in Europe this season, I would bet my house on it that Hargreaves will play a massive part in that, regardless of whether the fans choose to see it or not.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah it's true a players own mental attributes are just as important, but what I am taking issue with is the undercurrent of criticism that can surround players who are only finding their way in football. This is the sort of thing that can affect a players confidence irreparably. As good a player as he was at 20/21, Keane was not held up to the sort of scrutiny that Richardson was. He was allowed to develop at his own pace, and the fans warmed to him, due in no small part to his attitude to the game. Obviously the same could not be said of Richardson. I should say that I'm only using Richardson as an example, I'm not his biggest fan or anything.
Keane was at a smaller club, no offence forest, when breaking into top flight first team football, with a lower bar to meet and and less pressure on a minute to minute basis. Sadly this is modern football. Only the exceptional are ready for top level first team football immediately. Football has changed, a perfect example is the goalie madness at OT after big Peter. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Also just cant think of anyone that the crowd really hunted out , Richardson couldn't do it, nobody would've been happy if we'd given him a couple of seasons to find his feet only to find out he wasn't good enough even with a run in the team. The reality is that people like Anderson don't need a couple of seasons so we have to buy them to stay ahead of the game. Any dip at this club and the whole club will be under that scrutiny in the media, not just one kid from the terraces. That's the nature of the beast. Personally I'd take a few seasons out of the champions league if I thought we'd come back with the likes of the 2 nevilles, butt, beckham, scholes, giggs and a few gillespies ... alas I fear.

Also I wouldn't mind even Richardsons career at United, it's not exactly a tale of tragedy in the bigger picture.