Forget about last season, is Phil Jones the best centre-back in the Premier League at the moment?

Is Phil Jones the best centre-back in the Premier League at the moment?

• Total voters

GM K

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Luiz
Cahill
Koscielny
Mertesacker
Mustafi
Stones
Kompany
Mangala
Lovren
Matip
Gomez
Bailly
Jones

Is Phil Jones currently the best center back in the Premier League?

b82REZ

Phil Jones is a natural defender. Unfortunately he's also made out of natural yoghurt.

Santos J

He's not better than the first one you listed for a start so no. Hopefully he can stay fit though as he's good when fit and on form, shame he's made of tissue paper.

RedCurry

If football started just 6 PL games ago, then yes. But in reality, he's not.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
On current form, which is pretty much all that matters in football, he is.

Revan

Assumptionman
He has to do it for more than 5 matches in order to be in discussion, but he has been really excellent this season. I am far from his biggest fan, but credit when it is due, and I am very pleased with his performances.

Saying that, the best CB in the league undoubtedly is Alderweireld, who hasn't put a foot wrong for two seasons now.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Spurs centre backs are good, but they definitely benefit from being flanked by decent full backs, screened by Wanyama (and Dier) and the whole team being a workhorse of a defensive unit.

Siorac

No he's not. Or if he is, then the standards are remarkably low. Just look at his attempt at "defending" against Choupo-Moting for Stoke's second goal.

Castia

He's a decent defender who would have a much better reputation if it wasn't for all the injuries. But he's only 25 if he can stay fit he could prove to be a vital player in the coming seasons.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Sometimes even relegation side defenders go through the purple patch he's been going through. Not saying it's just that but it very well may be. If he performs like this a whole season then we can talk.

marlowe78

If you're going by current form, I think he and Bailly are easily top 5. Alderweireld and Vertonghen are the best pair, though.

finneh

If football started just 6 PL games ago, then yes. But in reality, he's not.
Definitely this. He's been the best central defender this season but the tiny sample size renders that irrelevant.

"At the moment" has to have a sample size of several months to make it relevant, which would mean he's well behind the likes of Alderweireld.

Cantona's Collar

I think Jones always looks like a top class defender when he has a good run of games. He was great alongside Rojo for a decent spell last season before the inevitable injury came and fecked things up.

I genuinely think he'd be rated as highly as the likes of Stam, Rio and Vidic for us if he wasn't made of Blancmange.

No. He cost us a goal against Stoke and has made one or two other errors. He's been very good but he still needs to be a bit more assured in his defending when he's matched physically.

FujiVice

His potential as a young lad was massive. Everyone at Blackburn thought he was going to be the next John Terry. Its the reason why paid all that money for him. And at times he showed how great the potential is. Just injury after injury has really fecked him. Also, like with Rafael and Jonny Evans, Ferguson leaving and all the change that came with that, haulted his progress as well as the injuries. I have no doubt we'll be a much better side if he is able to play 40 games a season. Just hope this isnt another false dawn.

SteveTheRed

Yes IMO he is, he has been solid, barely put a foot wrong. Bailly could probably challenge him as the rest of the above haven't been great at all.

He is the best atm, but he doesn't have much challenge.

It's such a shame about his injuries because when he is fit, after those initial 2-3 games returning to match fitness he fits in so well. I think it's the reason why he is playing in the League because if he was only getting the odd game CL, Cup etc. he would just fall flat. He needs that run of consistent games.

Kostov

Personally i think Alderweireld is overrated on here. Good defender and easily among the top 5 CB in the league, but there is no CB standing out, there hasn't been one since Kompany fell apart. Alderweireld, Jones, van Dijk, Koscielny they all are about the same level. I would take a fit and in form Jones over anybody on that list.

Bobski

Lovren, Matip, Gomez, Mustafi, Mertersacker and Stones in a list of the best in the country shows the caliber of the competition. Far from certain that I would take the Liverpool options over Lindelof and Blind, the Utd 5th and 6th choice.

Alderwereld needs to prove his quality in Europe and through actually achieving something of note, the whole Spurs team do. They get a very easy press but they have come to the fore in one of the weakest eras of PL football and have won nothing. Koscieleny, Kompany and Alderweireld might be the best but there are questions over all 3. Utd probaly have 4 of the best 10-15 in the league.

Uniquim

No he's not. Or if he is, then the standards are remarkably low. Just look at his attempt at "defending" against Choupo-Moting for Stoke's second goal.
Just putting this here for reference

cr. GifLord.

Personally I don't think we should get to caught up in blunders like that. It happens to most defenders at some point. i.e. Hummels, who is a solid defender, went completely numb with his defending when Dortmund lost 1-4 to Real Madrid.

I don't think Jones is the best CB in the league at the moment, but I'm enjoying him having a good spell. He had a longer good spell a couple of seasons ago too. Long may it last!

meamth

Being a top defender means you have to be able to defend first, ball playing 2nd (cough, stones, cough).
In Jones case, he is a proper defender! I still think he is good enough to be a regular.

wolvored

I think Bailly is the best at Utd. His no nonsense defending has saved us loads of times. Jones has looked good but there's always a but with him. He will go missing or get a bad injury sooner or later. I think once Lindelof is up to speed, maybe even take a season, he will be the first choice option with Bailly.

MILLHILLMANC

Jones is up there with the Spurs central defenders and clearly the best centre half at Utd currently. A good player. I'm not sure what you all want with daft threads like this. Let's just enjoy his consistent performances and pray he stays fit as if he does, we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Fridge chutney

He would be in the PL team of the season so far. But he's not (yet?) the best CB in the league.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
On form he does look great, I mean he is naturally strong and does look solid, not lack of any pace, and physically quite dominant with good tackling too. But he has a tendency to went missing sometimes too, prone to make some silly mistake once a while, so he is not really that consistent for my liking. Also, he has tendency to get injured too, as we all know.