Former POTUS George H W Bush Dies aged 94

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I've never been a fan of the 'always respect the dead' thing. I mean I can understand that when average bloke that used to be a bully in his teens passes away, I won't go posting on the Facebook page about that. But with world leaders and people whose policies had affected other people's lives, including thousands of deaths then I don't feel any need to hold back criticism just because someone passed away. The truth is important not whitewashing someone's life just because they passed away.

Reality: HW was CIA Director at a time the CIA was destabilizing Latin America economically, installing and supporting right wing dictators. These policies had real human consequences that affected a lot of people including deaths. He supported Operation Condor. He was almost certainly involved in the shady Iran Hostage/Iran-Contra craziness that both undermined Carter as President and created a crazy corrupt series of interlocking events. He supported dictator and drug lord Noriega right up until he decided not to. He allowed or orchestrated (depending on source) Iraq to slant drill into Kuwait then allowed one of the most infamous public relation lies and deceptions (the Nayirah Testimony) and more to justify the Iraq war on lies. He long cultivated an intimate relationship with the Saudi totalitarian Royal Family for personal profits. This is someone whose father, Prescott Bush, had his assets stripped in 1942 due to the Trading with the Enemy Act due to his financing of the Nazi Party! Even beyond its speculated Prescott was a key figure behind the scenes debating trying to overthrow FDR.

This man was not a good person. This man did not care about the poor and average people whose lives he destroyed. This man was not someone who should be celebrated but his history should be recounted to serve as a reminder for all of us to remember we all need to work harder to make sure much better human beings are in power than this person. I will end with the only compliment I can think of - despite all this I believe he still would have done less damage than Willy did (since he would have ended in 96 and that would have changed the entire electoral cycle we are on)
Indeed. Politicians aren't random abstract people but instead figures whose actions have the potential to transform and destroy lives. Being able to sit back and respect Bush is something you're probably not going to be able to do if you're someone whose life was destroyed by policy decisions he took.

For what it's worth he comfortably ranks better than some of the Republican Presidents who have come before and after him, and he probably was a lot wiser than his son or Trump, but arguments about how all US Presidents end up costing lives to an extent tend not to work when you consider that the US has found it alright to view blacks as inferior people for the majority of its history as a nation, at least from a legal standpoint. Important politicians are probably going to make decisions that have an adverse effect on others no matter how well-intentioned they are, but then Bush himself is on record as not really showing any remorse or sympathy for his actions in the past. He's hardly an impartial political actor who was genuinely striving for a better world.

Not to mention a lot of the fairly shady stories about his fondness for groping etc. Certainly not someone to be celebrated.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I've never been a fan of the 'always respect the dead' thing. I mean I can understand that when average bloke that used to be a bully in his teens passes away, I won't go posting on the Facebook page about that. But with world leaders and people whose policies had affected other people's lives, including thousands of deaths then I don't feel any need to hold back criticism just because someone passed away. The truth is important not whitewashing someone's life just because they passed away.

Reality: HW was CIA Director at a time the CIA was destabilizing Latin America economically, installing and supporting right wing dictators. These policies had real human consequences that affected a lot of people including deaths. He supported Operation Condor. He was almost certainly involved in the shady Iran Hostage/Iran-Contra craziness that both undermined Carter as President and created a crazy corrupt series of interlocking events. He supported dictator and drug lord Noriega right up until he decided not to. He allowed or orchestrated (depending on source) Iraq to slant drill into Kuwait then allowed one of the most infamous public relation lies and deceptions (the Nayirah Testimony) and more to justify the Iraq war on lies. He long cultivated an intimate relationship with the Saudi totalitarian Royal Family for personal profits. This is someone whose father, Prescott Bush, had his assets stripped in 1942 due to the Trading with the Enemy Act due to his financing of the Nazi Party! Even beyond its speculated Prescott was a key figure behind the scenes debating trying to overthrow FDR.

This man was not a good person. This man did not care about the poor and average people whose lives he destroyed. This man was not someone who should be celebrated but his history should be recounted to serve as a reminder for all of us to remember we all need to work harder to make sure much better human beings are in power than this person. I will end with the only compliment I can think of - despite all this I believe he still would have done less damage than Willy did (since he would have ended in 96 and that would have changed the entire electoral cycle we are on)
This is a great, disrespectful post. Hope you don't get banned for it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's really weird that people have a problem with calling a piece of shit, a piece of shit, just because they've died.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It was a long time coming. Sitting out a couple of days will do him good.
What did he actually say that was ban-worthy? Bush is hardly someone particularly deserving of reverence or respect.

Fridge chutney

I think if you don't have a standard for these threads of trying not to speak ill of the dead, especially with polarising politics but also with a certain etiquette some people hold store in then you reduce the thread to argument. But then again I'd take points on saying what I think about Thatcher so it is hard to judge someone from another counttry who may have been affected in a similar way in their lives.

Still, maybe Bush at least held a respect for the office a certain incumbent doesn't.
Well said!

Revan

Assumptionman
Why is Bush so hated? Genuinely curious, would like to see why people hate him (as if what policies he had that makes them hate him)?

He kind of lost to Clinton when I was born so I don't know too much about him? Was he really bad or it is because he was W's father?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Well said!
I've mixed feelings with what I said. You can't always Not Speak Ill of the Dead. For me as I said Thatcher wouldn't have seen a polite word from me, I always wanted to dance on her grave, I despised her. Can anyone imagine polite discourse on the thread about Jimmy Saville? When some one has been an obvious scumbag, and in this case not my country so I don't know how a native would react, it would be hard for everyone to hold to a standard.

I've been thinking that we usually have RIPs etc on the thread on the General while the truth comes out - well hopefully on the Current, definitely debate anyway.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Anyway, we don't always understand why and how the mods have applied a temporary ban, it may not specifically have been for one post in this thread but more of a totting up because @Sultan said that GIFs aren't normally acceptable on the Current.

Fridge chutney

I've mixed feelings with what I said. You can't always Not Speak Ill of the Dead. For me as I said Thatcher wouldn't have seen a polite word from me, I always wanted to dance on her grave, I despised her. Can anyone imagine polite discourse on the thread about Jimmy Saville? When some one has been an obvious scumbag, and in this case not my country so I don't know how a native would react, it would be hard for everyone to hold to a standard.

I've been thinking that we usually have RIPs etc on the thread on the General while the truth comes out - well hopefully on the Current, definitely debate anyway.
I agree with this. I think some lines are greyer than others. Saville, Trump, Hitler, and many others have proven themselves to be bad human beings. I don't think most people would take issue with speaking ill of them in life or death.

Other people, Bush, Hillary, Harper, Thatcher, and many other politicians/people may have enacted policy that was bad for many people and appeared (or was) evil, but were those decisions borne out of being a bad person or out of doing what they thought was right at the time? I don't know. In the case of Bush Senior I don't know enough about him to form an opinion on the matter. Lines are grey and unless I really know enough about that person i won't speak ill of them unless I've deemed them a bad person, and of course that is a completely subjective and possibly arbitrary position to take.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why is Bush so hated? Genuinely curious, would like to see why people hate him (as if what policies he had that makes them hate him)?

He kind of lost to Clinton when I was born so I don't know too much about him? Was he really bad or it is because he was W's father?
He generally isn't.

SirAF

Ageist

Only by the far left, to the best of my knowledge.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

Read oneniltothearsenal’s post above.

He also dissed The Simpsons.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin

It's the 'Caf mate, as another thread puts it: Something of a liberal echo chamber.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit more liberal than I used to be, but some of the leftist attitudes to (relatively) moderate right wingers tends to be a bit kneejerk.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked Obama in the main; but he dropped more bombs than his predecessor - and you won't hear him being slated as a warmonger or butcher in here, wrong narrative.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Now don't get me wrong, I liked Obama in the main, dropped he more bombs than his predecessor - you won't hear him being slated as a warmonger or butcher in here though, wrong narrative.
I've read it in this forum, don't ask me to find it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Commentator pissing all over United and called Woodward and Mourinho the worst strike partnership in football (or something along those lines) :lol:
We are defensively clueless. Our midfield is nonexistant and our strikers have become useless under Mourinho.

I was a staunch Mourinho backer for 2 years but enough is enough. Sack him!
Get out of here :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's the 'Caf mate, as another thread puts it: Something of a liberal echo chamber.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit more liberal than I used to be, but some of the leftist attitudes to (relatively) moderate right wingers tends to be a bit kneejerk.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked Obama in the main; but he dropped more bombs than his predecessor - and you won't hear him being slated as a warmonger or butcher in here, wrong narrative.
Have you not read the thoughts of @Eboue on the current state of the Dems? He's heavily critical of Obama and co, as are a number of left-wingers here.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Commentator pissing all over United and called Woodward and Mourinho the worst strike partnership in football (or something along those lines) :lol:
We are defensively clueless. Our midfield is nonexistant and our strikers have become useless under Mourinho.

I was a staunch Mourinho backer for 2 years but enough is enough. Sack him!
:lol:

jeff_goldblum

H.W was complicit in decades of immoral, and occasionally illegal, US conduct, before, during and after his Presidency. To my eyes, the fact that he caused death and misery through the power allotted him by the offices he held rather with his bare hands doesn't mean his hands are clean, nor do I think his achievements justify his disgraces. I'm not glad he died, but I sure as hell don't wish for him to 'rest in peace'. In my opinion he doesn't deserve it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Surprised Trump will attend. Even more surprised markets will be closed
I think that's normal. Closed for JFK, Nixon, Ford even Martin Luther King funeral.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
H.W was complicit in decades of immoral, and occasionally illegal, US conduct, before, during and after his Presidency. To my eyes, the fact that he caused death and misery through the power allotted him by the offices he held rather with his bare hands doesn't mean his hands are clean, nor do I think his achievements justify his disgraces. I'm not glad he died, but I sure as hell don't wish for him to 'rest in peace'. In my opinion he doesn't deserve it.
No US President's "hands are clean". Its part and parcel of the POTUS job.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Let me rephrase, do you think it is possible to run the US (overseas operations and all that entails) without casualties? I'm not saying it's OK, I'm saying it is what it is. This obsessions liberals have with calling the Bush family devils is quite weird - and I'm closer to being a liberal than a conservative!
Sure, all US presidents, by the nature of thir job are involved in illegal actions upto war crimes. The Bushes have some extra on them:

Prescott Bush -
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar
Bush was also on the board of at least one of the companies that formed part of a multinational network of front companies to allow Thyssen to move assets around the world.

Thyssen owned the largest steel and coal company in Germany and grew rich from Hitler's efforts to re-arm between the two world wars. One of the pillars in Thyssen's international corporate web, UBC, worked exclusively for, and was owned by, a Thyssen-controlled bank in the Netherlands. More tantalising are Bush's links to the Consolidated Silesian Steel Company (CSSC), based in mineral rich Silesia on the German-Polish border. During the war, the company made use of Nazi slave labour from the concentration camps, including Auschwitz. The ownership of CSSC changed hands several times in the 1930s, but documents from the US National Archive declassified last year link Bush to CSSC, although it is not clear if he and UBC were still involved in the company when Thyssen's American assets were seized in 1942.
He built the family fortune and was the first to enter politics, starting the dynasty that continues to this day.

George HW: He was CIA director in the late 70s, in charge of Operation Condor, which was massive violent interference even by usual US standards. His firrst act as pesident was to pardon everyone involved in the illegal deal to fund terrorists, called Iran-Contra.

The funny thing about the Saddam/Noriega quote above is that Noriega was an anti-worker asset of the CIA, trained in a US military installation. He was a brutal intelligence chief under a US-backed government, and, to provide a nice bow to the HW Bush story, was involved in moving the drugs for Iran-Contra. So in his capacity as CIA director and VP, HW would surely have come across him and helped him.
The reason he was removed by HW as president was because he got too ambitious and started dealing with more general drug trafficking and with Cuba.

W: Do I need to explain? Iraq, Patriot Act, Katrina...

Generally, I don't get any particular joy in celebrating a death, what gets me mad is this front page. Not one hint of the things I listed. I understand not saying anything about OPeration Condor since it's never ever talked about. But Iran-Contra is relatively famous. It should at least get a footnote. First Gulf War? Nothing. "Lauded as a calm and vital statesman." "Look at his baseball glove" (Isn't he just a normal guy like all of us!)

jeff_goldblum

No US President's "hands are clean". Its part and parcel of the POTUS job.
I originally included a bit in the post to the effect that every President in modern history has blood on their hands to varying extents but I didn't feel it was relevant to my point. I'm judging H.W Bush as a human being, not in comparison to 44 other morally compromised humans.

Revan

Assumptionman
Read oneniltothearsenal’s post above.

He also dissed The Simpsons.
That is actually the only post in the Caf which seems to explain his policies. His foreign policy seems to have been a mess (I didn't check how correct oneniltothearsenal is, neither the context that existed back then), though it doesn't look any worse than the foreign policy of Obama for example (whose foreign policy has been way worse than that of Trump's but for some reasons get a free pass).

SirAF

Ageist
That is actually the only post in the Caf which seems to explain his policies. His foreign policy seems to have been a mess (I didn't check how correct oneniltothearsenal is, neither the context that existed back then), though it doesn't look any worse than the foreign policy of Obama for example (whose foreign policy has been way worse than that of Trump's but for some reasons get a free pass).
From what I have seen his foreign policy is what the experts have been praising.