Former POTUS George H W Bush Dies aged 94

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Put aside political differences for a minute and let us just appreciate some contemplative music to mark the passing of a man who made a contribution. Play it loud.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rumours going around that George HW Bush died from complications during a surgery to remove his ribs in order to suck his own dick. Can anyone confirm? Regardless of whether or not that's true though, we can all agree that he was the president who died most recently.
Pathetic sort of "11 year old, mummy's gone out, get on the computer" type of post

Revan

Assumptionman
From what I have seen his foreign policy is what the experts have been praising.
Could be. As I said I didn't check how correct those critics were and everything can look bad of you simplify the foreign policy for 4 years in a paragraph of 3 sentences.

SirAF

Ageist
Could be. As I said I didn't check how correct those critics were and everything can look bad of you simplify the foreign policy for 4 years in a paragraph of 3 sentences.
I've seen two very well respected Norwegian scholars of US politics/history praise his foreign policy today. Very shortly summed up: he contributed towards the reunification of Germany while also navigating a peaceful end to the Cold War and the Soviet Union with Gorbachev. One of them even suggested he should have been awarded a Nobel for that.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
First Gulf War? Nothing.
I've very mixed feelings about the Gulf War. On the one hand Saddam had to be stopped and rolled back. On the other hand the US never should have encouraged the uprisings that followed the war. A part of me feels that Saddam should have been removed completely at this point, but I'd just about go along with Bush's reasoning on it.

Of course there are serious questions regarding the pre-war relationship with Saddam, and the sanctions regime.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I've very mixed feelings about the Gulf War. On the one hand Saddam had to be stopped and rolled back. On the other hand the US never should have encouraged the uprisings that followed the war. A part of me feels that Saddam should have been removed completely at this point, but I'd just about go along with Bush's reasoning on it.

Of course there are serious questions regarding the pre-war relationship with Saddam, and the sanctions regime.
Ya I didn't want t debate it, mostly because I don't know enough, so I don't put it on my why HW Is Bad list. But it was surely among the most consequential things he did.

Carolina Red

Staff
From what I have seen his foreign policy is what the experts have been praising.
I've seen two very well respected Norwegian scholars of US politics/history praise his foreign policy today.
The job he did building the Coalition against Iraq, then convincing Israel not to retaliate and tear it apart, was brilliant.

SirAF

Ageist
The job he did building the Coalition against Iraq, then convincing Israel not to retaliate and tear it apart, was brilliant.
Yes, I forgot about that - it was also mentioned in the article I read earlier today.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The coverage is going to get nauseating. It's funny how upset yanks were with a King but they've done their best to create their own over the centuries.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Trump's eulogy:

"And who can forget hits like Careless Whisper, or his leadership during 9/11?"

GiddyUp

Have you not read the thoughts of @Eboue on the current state of the Dems? He's heavily critical of Obama and co, as are a number of left-wingers here.
He's informative but you just get the impression that he would like to line a lot of people up against the wall and empty on them, some who have done more good than bad. The United States is very complex and a fecking difficult place to get things done and it will never bring forth a leader who will do what's right all of the time (especially foreign policy) or be able to get things done easily.
But people are right in this thread, we can hate the likes of Bush and McCain while discussing their shithousery but let's not fecking rub it in with dancing gifs or lower ourselves to asshole levels.
There are a few cnuts I want to see gone and I will call them that the day they die but their families should deserve a small bit of consideration also, anyone who has lost a loved one would understand this.
A lot of us have had thread bans for less, justified or not you just move on to the next one but death threads should not be reduced to a juvenile level when serious discussion could be had. Bush senior was a prick and I believe he was a player in some of the shadiest shit over the last 60 years, he also had one or two moments where you could nod you're head in agreement but he was a dirty bastard nonetheless.

Last edited:

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Nobody gets to be potus or leader of any country by being nice. They're all ruthless, calculating and stone cold to the problems of the average guy in the street. It's all about them and always will be.
Bush was no better or no worse than any of them, they're all as bad as each other, he was just lucky to be born in the most powereful country on earth.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's informative but you just get the impression that he would like to line a lot of people up against the wall and empty on them, some who have done more good than bad. The United States is very complex and a fecking difficult place to get things done and it will never bring forth a leader who will do what's right all of the time (especially foreign policy) or be able to get things done easily.
But people are right in this thread, we can hate the likes of Bush and McCain while discussing their shithousery but let's not fecking rub it in with dancing gifs or lower ourselves to asshole levels.
There are a few cnuts I want to see gone and I will call them that the day they die but their families should deserve a small bit of consideration also, anyone who has lost a loved one would understand this.
A lot of us have had thread bans for less, justified or not you just move on to the next one but death threads should not be reduced to a juvenile level when serious discussion could be had. Bush senior was a prick and I believe he was a player in some of the shadiest shit over the last 60 years, he also had one or two moments where you could nod you're head in agreement but he was a dirty bastard nonetheless.
I think that's absolutely correct and in that sense it's fair to be able to appreciate the good a politician has done while acknowledging their ill deeds - by the same token though Bush was never particularly sorry or apologetic for his ill deeds, of which there were plenty.

I also think the desire to celebrate or express joy at the deaths of certain politicians comes as a reaction to the alternative approach wherein people are keen to show how 'impartial' they are and as a result celebrate figures like McCain as principled elder statesmen of America instead of highlighting their flaws, largely due to the fact such figures often aren't as bad as Trump, or don't comes across as being quite as bad publicly. Some of the reactions may seem immature and petty but then many of Bush's actions had an adverse effect on the lives of others. In such cases it's difficult to criticise someone for getting at him when they may have been impacted in such a way.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
A racist criminal is dead and it's worth celebrating.
He lived a full life, made it to 94 in comfort and suffered zero consequences for whatever his crimes were. And you feel this is something worth celebrating?

Silva

maybe I'll grow up to lead a several coups that destabilise south and central America, kill countless people and enact policies that target minorities for personal gain like a decent person worthy of respect

botond

maybe I'll grow up to lead a several coups that destabilise south and central America, kill countless people and enact policies that target minorities for personal gain like a decent person worthy of respect

sounds better then getting mad about every past or present global event . life must be miserable.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He lived a full life, made it to 94 in comfort and suffered zero consequences for whatever his crimes were. And you feel this is something worth celebrating?
There isn't, and probably will never be, justice in this world. There is no utopian afterlife where the bad unpunished people answer for their crimes.
This is the closest there is to it.