Television Foundation - Apple TV

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Finished the season yesterday.

Good shit.

Surprised by the low ratings, but digging deeper, you realize it's mostly people complaining the show has too much blackness/women.

Brother Day is epic.

I have read the first 2 foundation prequels already. Might finish the saga before next season.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm on the final episode of S1. And I've really enjoyed it. Don't understand the relatively low ratings. It's mint.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Read the first novel when I was young, so I've been meaning to get into this but just haven't had the time (I'm rubbish when it comes to TV shows, minor Twin Peaks).
Is more up my street than say Herbert's Dune series.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
New season is out this week right? Really looking forward to it.
After Raised by Wolves got weirdly cancelled, hoping this will keep some level till the series end.

Trailer looks okay. Some decent acting will be present from the looks of it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Now that i know there is a S2 I wonder if I should pick this back up. Watched first two episodes of s1 and was impressed with some of the acting, set design etc but got distracted. Lee Pace is just brilliant.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its a tough one because the books would be so difficult to translate to film due to timelines etc I can imagine some people who have read the books being frustrated. For me I have loved it, I think on the most part they have done a decent job of it. Yeah I agree Lee Pace is brilliant. Ive seen the first episode of season 2 and he is epic again. Im looking forward to seeing where it all heads. Casting is great in this.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He was brilliant in Halt And Catch Fire, too. A great series about the history of the home computer, if you haven't seen it already. He's got the 'unempathetic visionary' role locked down.

AaronRedDevil

Got to 3 episodes and couldn’t watch anymore. Too boring tbh. Normally I’d love a sci fi shows. Guessing it’s geared towards the people who read the books.

Laurencio

Its a tough one because the books would be so difficult to translate to film due to timelines etc I can imagine some people who have read the books being frustrated. For me I have loved it, I think on the most part they have done a decent job of it. Yeah I agree Lee Pace is brilliant. Ive seen the first episode of season 2 and he is epic again. Im looking forward to seeing where it all heads. Casting is great in this.
As a book reader I think they've done an excellent job telling a story that fits with the universe Aasimov created. They've certainly changed things, Salvor Hardin is unrecognisable for instance, but the major plot lines, the politics of the empire and general feel of the world is almost spot on.

If they had jumped around in time as much as the books it would have made for a very confusing TV-show, so I like how they've solved it. Oh and Lee Pace is phenomenal, without him the Empire might not have worked, he's perfectly cast. He even pays attention to the subtleties of the character's development into his mannerisms. He's fantastic.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
This season was much much better than last season.

If they had jumped around in time as much as the books it would have made for a very confusing TV-show, so I like how they've solved it. Oh and Lee Pace is phenomenal, without him the Empire might not have worked, he's perfectly cast. He even pays attention to the subtleties of the character's development into his mannerisms. He's fantastic.
Yup.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The quality of this show - acting, production, script and cgi is absolutely mind-blowing for a tv show. Can't get over how good season 2 was. More people need to be watching this show.

Spoony

The People's President
The quality of this show - acting, production, script and cgi is absolutely mind-blowing for a tv show. Can't get over how good season 2 was. More people need to be watching this show.

Best TV for years. I don't think they've started filming the new season, though. I used to watch a recap on YT after watching an episode. Properly top tier entertainment.

Bole Top

when people say certain movie or show isn't for everyone, from my experience they usually say it about movie or show that with a bit of patience actually anyone can get into. but this... I bet plenty of SF fans will give up even before the middle of the first season.

I like it, but the simple fact is that it isn't nearly as rewarding from the start for your average viewer compared to... I don't know, The Expanse? at first it seems almost as it's too big for its own sake, almost as the source material was never really meant to end on TV. but it gets better once you get to know who-why-where, which is why so many are enjoying the S2 more than the first.

you might get confused from time to time or even find it a bit boring at first, but you simply have to appreciate the sheer effort put into this, especially in current age when it's so rare to see someone actually bothering to provide you with fresh ideas. this could easily be dumber, shorter and more accessible, but they're giving their best to avoid that path and also the majority of modern audience cliches.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Excellent second season, though I could've lived without many of the scenes on Ignus.

I'm also thrilled that Salvor is dead (assuming she stays that way). Worst acting on the show, followed closely by Riose's husband (unfortunately the final scene of the season ruined my double-celebration).

Filming for season 3 is already well under way; hopefully it continues its upward trajectory.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
2 episodes into this. This looks like it was seriously expensive to make, and if it isn't then they're doing a lot with very little. It looks outstanding.

Aside from the looks, I'm interested in the story so far. Some of the acting is a bit dodge but the Beltalowda from The Expanse is good and then the killed him off immediately!

When I first saw the Star Bridge I thought "That is ridiculous and so fecking cool." and then they blew the fecking thing up at the end of the first episode! :lol:

Simbo

Didn't see the uplift in quality myself, thought s2 was about on par with s1, dunno what I'm missing. It's alright, the over-arching story is interesting enough to keep my attention.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
2 episodes into this. This looks like it was seriously expensive to make, and if it isn't then they're doing a lot with very little. It looks outstanding.
4.5m per episode in season one apparently. Does seem low.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Aside from the looks, I'm interested in the story so far. Some of the acting is a bit dodge but the Beltalowda from The Expanse is good and then the killed him off immediately!

When I first saw the Star Bridge I thought "That is ridiculous and so fecking cool." and then they blew the fecking thing up at the end of the first episode! :lol:
A lot of the visual effects are done in Ireland.
Check the credits, a lot of the names are friends of friends.

It has one of my favourite opening credits ever, we actually often watch it every time here rather than skip.

Eriku

when people say certain movie or show isn't for everyone, from my experience they usually say it about movie or show that with a bit of patience actually anyone can get into. but this... I bet plenty of SF fans will give up even before the middle of the first season.

I like it, but the simple fact is that it isn't nearly as rewarding from the start for your average viewer compared to... I don't know, The Expanse? at first it seems almost as it's too big for its own sake, almost as the source material was never really meant to end on TV. but it gets better once you get to know who-why-where, which is why so many are enjoying the S2 more than the first.

you might get confused from time to time or even find it a bit boring at first, but you simply have to appreciate the sheer effort put into this, especially in current age when it's so rare to see someone actually bothering to provide you with fresh ideas. this could easily be dumber, shorter and more accessible, but they're giving their best to avoid that path and also the majority of modern audience cliches.
Interesting. I’ve tried starting The Expanse a couple of times and it fails to grip me. Foundation had me hooked right from the off.

Anyway, I had no idea this didn’t have good ratings. Production values are astounding, concept is novel, and as has been pointed out, it’s damn near worth watching for Lee Pace alone. My favourite scene with him so far is
when Salvor manages to enter the vault and finds a replica of Seldon which only has limited info. His act-out of him reasoning his way through new info is absolutely brilliant. You can see the wheels turning and how it clicks, and how he immediately spots new implications when it does. "Shit… I’m the left hand!"

btw, how do you guys do the clever blurring effect rather than spoilers?