Television Foundation - Apple TV

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

I don’t know how this slipped under my radar. It’s starts this Friday. From some top quality source material. It looks epic. Apparently Apple spent a entire movie budget per two episodes. I’m a sucker for a Sci-fi. Hopefully the script will match the effects, which look unprecedented for a TV production.

Plus Jared Harris and Lee Pace.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ah, bugger - I would have liked to see that. I loved the book series.

I suppose eventually I'll need to get Apple, Amazon, Disney, and HBO tv each for a month to watch a couple of things I really wanted to see but couldn't. Can't wait until some sort of service appears that's like tv, where all these services appear as channels, maybe even cross-searchable - without me having to take out all the separate subscriptions and set it all up separately. (Cause I know I could already do what I'm asking for that way.)

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports

I suppose eventually I'll need to get Apple, Amazon, Disney, and HBO tv each for a month to watch a couple of things I really wanted to see but couldn't. Can't wait until some sort of service appears that's like tv, where all these services appear as channels, maybe even cross-searchable - without me having to take out all the separate subscriptions and set it all up separately. (Cause I know I could already do what I'm asking for that way.)
Last time I got a new iPhone it came with free Apple TV for a year. Once that expired I kept it because their original series are so good. This looks ridiculously epic. There are actually three trailers out for it and each one hyped me up more.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I applaud you for not going down the evil road of torrents.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I applaud you for not going down the evil road of torrents.
:D

I decided a few years ago that I now have enough money to pay for things I need, so I'm not pirating (correction: investigating piracy) anymore. I really can't defend it to myself at this point in my life - especially since virtually everything you might to see or hear is available legally somewhere, somehow on the internet.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I don’t know how this slipped under my radar. It’s starts this Friday. From some top quality source material. It looks epic. Apparently Apple spent a entire movie budget per two episodes. I’m a sucker for a Sci-fi. Hopefully the script will match the effects, which look unprecedented for a TV production.

Plus Jared Harris and Lee Pace.
80 episodes are planned over 8 seasons. probably the only way that you could do justice to the books given their timescale.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
80 episodes are planned over 8 seasons. probably the only way that you could do justice to the books given their timescale.
I read that. I took it as more of a wish than a plan though. I think a lot will depend on it’s reception. Apple certainly has the money, and probably more than anyone else, are less dependent on viewing figures. It’s all about the long game of winning the digital turf war.

Annoyingly it’s going to be one episode a week. So I may just wait for 3-4 episodes to come out so I can binge a few in a row. Either way, I can’t wait.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is this Asimov?

I own a couple of the books but never really got into them. Mostly because I was confused as to what order to read them in.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Is this Asimov?

I own a couple of the books but never really got into them. Mostly because I was confused as to what order to read them in.
Start with 'Foundation'? iirc the second and third are called 'Foundation and Empire' and 'Second Foundation'.

Later on Asimov went full George Lucas with sequels and prequels but I don't recall any of them being that memorable and I would read them in the order they were written. Pretty sure the show is based on the original classic book from 1951

Prelude to Foundation (1988)
Forward the Foundation (1993)
Foundation (1951)
Foundation and Empire (1952)
Second Foundation (1953)
Foundation's Edge (1982)
Foundation and Earth (1986)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I read that. I took it as more of a wish than a plan though. I think a lot will depend on it’s reception. Apple certainly has the money, and probably more than anyone else, are less dependent on viewing figures. It’s all about the long game of winning the digital turf war.

Annoyingly it’s going to be one episode a week. So I may just wait for 3-4 episodes to come out so I can binge a few in a row. Either way, I can’t wait.
Apple have been really good for renewing their shows so far, even ones that don't have massive viewing figures. They look to be really committed to their original content and making sure their catalog is built up well, so it bodes well for this.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Main character is bit bleak and hopefully she'll expand from just a regular math genius, but Lee Pace & Jared Harris are carrying it.

Will give it a chance as it's Asimov based.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not at fun as it could be, so far, but it's hard sci fi and I'm still on board. Looks gorgeous though... and not dumbed down.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I have mixed opinions. I was disappointed with episode 1 despite how gorgeous it looks. Raych is awful, with his hammy american accent. Really bugs me. Episode 2 was much, much better and I started to become fairly engrossed. I'll definitely keep watching as it has massive potential but I must confess to being a little disappointed thus far. Early days though.

Lee Pace is awesome. One of the best voices in Hollywood. Some of the tech stuff, with the punishment on the outer rim planets, was immensely cool.

If Jared Harris is now out of the show I am going to be really pissed off

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I have mixed opinions. I was disappointed with episode 1 despite how gorgeous it looks. Raych is awful, with his hammy american accent. Really bugs me. Episode 2 was much, much better and I started to become fairly engrossed. I'll definitely keep watching as it has massive potential but I must confess to being a little disappointed thus far. Early days though.

Lee Pace is awesome. One of the best voices in Hollywood. Some of the tech stuff, with the punishment on the outer rim planets, was immensely cool.

If Jared Harris is now out of the show I am going to be really pissed off
Im pretty much thinking the same as you. I havent watched the 2nd episode yet. Im partly fascinated in how they can translate the book into something interesting on the screen, feels like a tall order to me

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
The book is pretty slow and Im amazed someone has actually adapted it to the screen. Loved the book but it will be clever writers who can make it work as a tv series
Ahhh, fair enough. Guess it's the kind of sci-f you have to love a lot to like watching it.

Eriku

Ahhh, fair enough. Guess it's the kind of sci-f you have to love a lot to like watching it.
To be fair, though, there’s a lot of great shows out there that won’t necessarily hook you right away. It’s like judging a season on the first few games.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Never heard of it before, got much more into sci-fi in recent years so I'm gonna give it a go, 6 months free Apple TV so might aswell use it.

mu4c_20le

Took me awhile to get into it, but it's alright. Production value is great, but main character a bit dull. I hope they have multiple main characters like GoT if they are to do many seasons.

Hamnat

I liked the first 2 episodes. They will need an expansive list of supporting characters to keep fleshing this out though. Apple is clearly sparing no expense on the budget . It looked gorgeous. I know nothing of the books so can't comment on the translation to screen but I was interested enough to definitely check for more.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Hmm, pacing seems weird, just introduce 2 people to each other and now they're basically besties. As if they've been working together forever.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Don't think this is for me, it's as if the producers read the books, then made the TV series with what they'd read in the books in their minds, while never explaining things in the TV series because they think it's already been done, but it was done in the books.

lilcurt

I have never read the books and really enjoyed the first two episodes. I'm going into this blind which is nice.

I still don't really know what this show is yet. I'm hoping by the end of episode 4 that becomes clear. I can already see it becoming confusing with the number of characters and worlds being presented and discussed.

SuperiorXI

I've also not read the books but I feel like I am following it fine...

Maths nerd on boring planet wins math competition and fecks off to more interesting planet to do maths with a professor type dude that came up with a theory that everything's going to shit in the next centuries or so.

Tory-type dictator-type dudes in charge of everything fear the idea they could lose all the powers so exile those extremist nutters to some shitehole Anfield-type planet miles away.

Meanwhile some separatist-type group (maybe or could also be some internal plot) explodes a big lift and kills a billion million people and they all start orbiting the planet with the rubble. Tories blame the ostracised and subjugated for what went on and gets them back by hanging the cnuts (no more creative ways to kill someone???) and also shoot their planets with rockets from space, this does major damage and both leaders of the planets look upset. This probably means more terrorism on the way.

Meanwhile math nerds are on the way to planet Anfield and are boning eachother and also working out what is the best stuff to keep for humanity to survive (i.e. you'd want to keep things like kebabs) they're having meetings to decide with important people. They argue about what type of math to keep. Main character also does some swimming.

For some reason one of the maths nerds kills the earlier mentioned professor type dude presumably because he nicked him off his dad when he was young and caused his dad to turn to the drink. Who knows though. Then also he jettisons the main character in a life raft type coffin type spaceship into seemingly the arse end of nowhere. This is a cliff hanger, so the questions remain, what is the main character gonna do? Is someone gonna come get her? Why did that dude kill the professor guy, they seemed to get on before they had dinner. What are the Tories gonna do next, what are the separatists gonna do? What is Anfield gonna be like? Looking forwards to episode 3.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy

Maths nerd on boring planet wins math competition and fecks off to more interesting planet to do maths with a professor type dude that came up with a theory that everything's going to shit in the next centuries or so.

Tory-type dictator-type dudes in charge of everything fear the idea they could lose all the powers so exile those extremist nutters to some shitehole Anfield-type planet miles away.

Meanwhile some separatist-type group (maybe or could also be some internal plot) explodes a big lift and kills a billion million people and they all start orbiting the planet with the rubble. Tories blame the ostracised and subjugated for what went on and gets them back by hanging the cnuts (no more creative ways to kill someone???) and also shoot their planets with rockets from space, this does major damage and both leaders of the planets look upset. This probably means more terrorism on the way.

Meanwhile math nerds are on the way to planet Anfield and are boning eachother and also working out what is the best stuff to keep for humanity to survive (i.e. you'd want to keep things like kebabs) they're having meetings to decide with important people. They argue about what type of math to keep. Main character also does some swimming.

For some reason one of the maths nerds kills the earlier mentioned professor type dude presumably because he nicked him off his dad when he was young and caused his dad to turn to the drink. Who knows though. Then also he jettisons the main character in a life raft type coffin type spaceship into seemingly the arse end of nowhere. This is a cliff hanger, so the questions remain, what is the main character gonna do? Is someone gonna come get her? Why did that dude kill the professor guy, they seemed to get on before they had dinner. What are the Tories gonna do next, what are the separatists gonna do? What is Anfield gonna be like? Looking forwards to episode 3.
Yeah you definitely got the gist but Seldons motives aren't quite sorted out.

I'm really enjoying the series so far. It's an interesting take on a very complex book with some minor changes to have some bonking on screen. Really love the vault idea which adds to the series. All three episodes excellent for me, but I suspect too slow for many

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

I'm assuming Seldon knew he had to die and asked his adopted son to be the one to do it, ditto with jettisoning off the lead.

Loving the parts with the various Brothers but not particularly grabbed by the Terminus-based scenes yet. Will stick with it to the end though (only seen the first 3 eps so far).

Massive Spanner

I've watched the first two and enjoyed it. It's nothing groundbreaking or special which is a little disappointing given the hype around it.

Seems to be a lot of backlash from people who've read the books though and say it isn't doing justice to them at all.

Stack

I've watched the first two and enjoyed it. It's nothing groundbreaking or special which is a little disappointing given the hype around it.

Seems to be a lot of backlash from people who've read the books though and say it isn't doing justice to them at all.
The hype is probably because so many who read the books thought it wouldnt be possible to make a decent tv show from it and its Asimov.
Backlash is probably from those who dont like anything that even remotely deviates from an original.

Massive Spanner

The hype is probably because so many who read the books thought it wouldnt be possible to make a decent tv show from it and its Asimov.
Backlash is probably from those who dont like anything that even remotely deviates from an original.
From what it sounds like it's basically impossible to make anything resembling the original because the timelines are like 50,000 years apart and it takes thousands of years for characters to travel across the galaxy, or something?

Stack

From what it sounds like it's basically impossible to make anything resembling the original because the timelines are like 50,000 years apart and it takes thousands of years for characters to travel across the galaxy, or something?
Thats pretty much it. Also the book is heavy on politics in a way and not much action. I didnt think they could make a tv series because I didnt think they could translate the books ideas into anything that was visually interesting.
I loved the book but in some ways it was pretty dry, I think they have done a really good job of making a TV show out of it and dont mind any of the "changes" they have made to make it possible to adapt.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Once you go past the cloning idea, it's somewhat watchable.

Political stuff stays more in the background, kinda like in The Expanse which is also watchable.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Decent finale that sets things up nicely for the second season, which has already been confirmed.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Our overall impression was incredible opening sequence, kinda meh show. A lot of leaps without the groundwork laid.
It's clear it hasn't caught fire here either given how few posts there are.
We mainly watched it for Jared Harris.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Felt like not enough digging into psychohistory subject and changes on Trantor which was far more interesting than majority things happening on Terminus.

It's Brother Day & Hari Seldon... and then there's really not that much in 1st season, even though I like the show a lot.