64. Santa Cruz (Blackburn)
68. Forlan (Villarreal)
75. Trezeguet (Juventus)
76. Klose (Bayern Munich)
78. Kanoute (Sevilla)
91. Pandev (Lazio)
94. Amauri (Juventus)
100. Huntelaar (Ajax)

Not sure why Mikel, Higuaín, Pires or Mahamdou Diarra are in there.

Or how Ramos is rated higher than Maicon or Alves, or how Nihat and Srna are rated so highly, compared to other players behind them.

How they chose the top 100.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Pretty good list though, no omissions stick out.

Ekeke

Capel in top 100 ? :D And over Mata ? I guess its because Capel has been involved in transfer rumours already.

Pires has been really good for Villareal recently and they are doing well.

Not really sure why Ronaldo is counted as a striker when he plays on the wing and Silva is counted as a winger but plays as an off-striker this season. They should be swapped over, if anything.

Edit - oops

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Capel in top 100 ? :D And over Mata ? I guess its because Capel has been involved in transfer rumours already.
Probably because he played more games, and played better overall, last season for a team that was much more successful last season.

Ekeke

Probably because he played more games, and played better overall, last season for a team that was much more successful last season.
Is this just done off last season then?

Would explain Torres' position, but wouldnt explain Pires' at all. Its only been this season that he's been playing well and not on the sidelines getting injured every few games.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
I do not agree with the bottom half of the central midfield list, that is about it.

Scholes, Modric, Mikel and Pirlo are a bit out of place.

Brwned

Is this just done off last season then?

Would explain Torres' position, but wouldnt explain Pires' at all. Its only been this season that he's been playing well and not on the sidelines getting injured every few games.
I'm not really sure, you'd assume so with people like Danny, Arshavin, Cazorla, Higuaín and Zhirkov in there.

Ekeke

I'm not really sure, you'd assume so with people like Danny, Arshavin, Cazorla, Higuaín and Zhirkov in there.
"This list is our judgement of the best players in the world right now. It takes as its yardstick performances throughout last season and the early stages of 2008-09. So form matters…"

Glaring omission to leave off the best left winger in La Liga so far this season then imo.

My guess is they've just not heard of him yet because he hasnt been linked with some of the bigger clubs. Unless you count playing for Real Madrid and then Valencia :nervous:

Oh well, I know Ballague rates him extremely highly (and chose him over Capel in his team where he's listing the best young players in Spain on Revista). I wouldnt trust him if he said he was signing for us, but I still think he probably knows what hes talking about in terms of who are good spanish players and who are not. :nervous:

But yeah, Capel had a better year last season. No competition this season so far though.

Brwned

"This list is our judgement of the best players in the world right now. It takes as its yardstick performances throughout last season and the early stages of 2008-09. So form matters…"

Glaring omission to leave off the best left winger in La Liga so far this season then imo.

My guess is they've just not heard of him yet because he hasnt been linked with some of the bigger clubs. Unless you count playing for Real Madrid and then Valencia :nervous:

Oh well, I know Ballague rates him extremely highly (and chose him over Capel in his team where he's listing the best young players in Spain on Revista). I wouldnt trust him if he said he was signing for us, but I still think he probably knows what hes talking about in terms of who are good spanish players and who are not. :nervous:

But yeah, Capel had a better year last season. No competition this season so far though.
Form matters, but obviously one whole season matters just that bit more.

He's got the potential to be better than Capel without doubt, but he's not been the better player up until now.

Don't think it has anything to do with them not knowing about him, they did an article on him just last year talking about his goalscoring prowess and how he has the potential to go far.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
No list would ever be perfect or satisfy everyone. Think this one did a pretty good job even with some glaring errors.

Brwned

For your first question the answer is Real Madrid.

I thought you were a Higuain fan as you argued a bit when I said he was bit shite
I am, I think he'll go far and he's shown the raw ability to become a top winger or striker, depending on how it works out.

But he's done nothing as of yet to put him in the top 100, let alone ahead of people like Sagna, Cassano, Huntelaar, Scholes, Amauri and Pandev.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Apart from Scholes being 95th and Mikel being 90th and also without the inclusion of Carrick, i have no complaints about that list. Pretty good list in actual fact.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I am, I think he'll go far and he's shown the raw ability to become a top winger or striker, depending on how it works out.

But he's done nothing as of yet to put him in the top 100, let alone ahead of people like Sagna, Cassano, Pandev, Huntelaar, Scholes, Amauri and Pandev.
I only know one Pandev that plays good football :smirk:

Ekeke

He's got the potential to be better than Capel without doubt, but he's not been the better player up until now.

Don't think it has anything to do with them not knowing about him, they did an article on him just last year talking about his goalscoring prowess and how he has the potential to go far.
Really? Cant say I read them.

In terms of how good Mata is right now, he's filling in as well as you could ask for someone to cover for David Silva.

He's not just scoring goals but he's made almost all of Villa's goals this season too. How long he'll keep that form up we dont know and last week was the first time he's been mostly invisible in a match so far this season, but to be fair all of Valencia's attacking players were pretty much invisible.

But he's been stupidly productive for a young player in the first 1/4 of this season. Ronaldo and Messi aside I doubt another winger has been more-so. Actually, I've been meaning to work out how many assists he has this season. It feels like a lot for a short period of time anyway. I'll post it up in a bit.

Epic

Boruc is miles better player than Scholes. One more joke of a list.

ch7

I think Iker Casillas is rated ridiculously highly in this list. The guy is a talent but I wouldn't put him as far up as 4. He isn't in the Kahn, Schmeichel, Buffon class IMO. I don't think he dominates his area well enough, there are still things for him to work on. I think the list does reflect how far Petr Cech's stock has fallen though.

I'm a fan of Darijo Srna and i'm glad he has been recognised, hopefully within a year or two the likes of Nani and Anderson will be firmly established and impossible to leave off this list.

AttackingFlair

Without Ronaldo/Messi/Robinho on the wingers list, it looks quite weak for all the collection of footballing wingers.

ch7

Without Ronaldo/Messi/Robinho on the wingers list, it looks quite weak for all the collection of footballing wingers.
This might indicate that the likes of Quaresma, Joaquin, Vicente and Reyes aren't/haven't fulfilled their potential.

Rooney17

Q: What's the difference between a Liverpool fan a
It's just effing ridiculous how Carrick never seems to get any credit for being one of the best midfielders in our team and in the EPL. I blame it on the fact that he has never been consistently picked for the national team (which is a travesty in itself). I hope we win another double (or even a treble) this year so that Carrick can show to these jokers just how valuable he is to the team.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I have the magazine in front of me, what the above list doesn't point out is last year's positions... Some of which are interesting.

95. Scholes - last year, 17. How has he dropped that many places in 12 months?! I would also rather have him than Mikel in my team (90).

70. Ronaldinho - last year, 3. Again, I don't believe Ronaldinho to be top 5 material these days, but he hasn't dropped that far down the list. Henry is 57 and was #4 last year.

Evra, Clichy, Chivu, Raul, Del Piero all new entries which is also a little surprising that they didn't make the 100 last year. In Evra and Clichy's case, A.Cole was 27 last year.

Tevez is 48 (44 last year), Berbatov at 37 (38) and Rooney at 24 (8) are both below Adebayor who is 15th (new entry). That I do find difficult to believe in all 3 cases.

Nice list all the same and some great articles in there, particularly on top 3, who I think are probably spot on.

They also name the team of the year:

------------------Casillas-------------------

Ramos----Ferdinand-----Carvalho-------Evra

-------Gerrard------Xavi-------Kaka---------

--Ronaldo----------Torres-----------Messi---

That looks pretty much nail-on to me.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
These lists are always incredibly subjective and bound to have some odd choices in there.

Impressed with this one, though, it gets most of the big decisions right and goes against a lot of the prevailing opinions amongst the average football hacks (e.g. Ferdinand as best centre-half).

Well done Four Four Two, says I.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
These lists are always incredibly subjective and bound to have some odd choices in there.

Impressed with this one, though, it gets most of the big decisions right and goes against a lot of the prevailing opinions amongst the average football hacks (e.g. Ferdinand as best centre-half).

Well done Four Four Two, says I.
I don't understand this bit. I think Ferdinand is the best centre-half and that's also their opinion.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Not sure what Mikel is doing on the list, or why there's 3 right backs rated as better players than Evra.

I've got to say though that I clicked on this fully expecting to get my knickers in a twist but its actually a good list. Obviously I've got my qualms but its a lot better than anything I could have came up with. Good to see Rio getting recognised as one of the best players on the planet too.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
You think he is. I think he is. 442 thinks he is.

But most tabloid sporting journalists in the UK would disagree. And a fair proportion of the broadsheet hacks too.
Right, sorry, completely misunderstood your post. Not even worth me explaining. I agree with both posts now though.

BezsMaracas

I still find the hype over Casillas bizarre to say the least, he really isn't that good, and to put any goalkeeper above someone as talented as Kaka is just plain odd.

Pogue Mahone

I still find the hype over Casillas bizarre to say the least, he really isn't that good, and to put any goalkeeper above someone as talented as Kaka is just plain odd.
Really?

I think he's fecking excellent. I'm a keeper myself (well, was, anyway) and he's probably my favourite keeper to watch, in the whole of Europe.

You could argue that some of the taller lads might just shade it but none of them can pull off as many miracle saves as this lad.

IMHO of course :)

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Casillas is so high probably because of Spain's win in Euros. There is not much to choose between him and Buffon, latter probably a bit better. So him and 4 and Buffon at 9 is a bit meh.

BezsMaracas

Really?

I think he's fecking excellent. I'm a keeper myself (well, was, anyway) and he's probably my favourite keeper to watch, in the whole of Europe.

You could argue that some of the taller lads might just shade it but none of them can pull off as many miracle saves as this lad.

IMHO of course :)
I just find that it's all based on him being a good shot stopper and therefore good for the cameras. He rarely manages to catch it, shots bounce off him all over the shop rather than sticking to him. I think he's plain overrated, mainly because he's at Real and has been in the spotlight from a young age.

Probably doesn't help that there is a real dirge of quality keepers around at the moment, but I'd still place Cech, Buffon, maybe even Reina above him, just never seen what's so special about him.

Pogue Mahone

I just find that it's all based on him being a good shot stopper and therefore good for the cameras. He rarely manages to catch it, shots bounce off him all over the shop rather than sticking to him. I think he's plain overrated, mainly because he's at Real and has been in the spotlight from a young age.

Probably doesn't help that there is a real dirge of quality keepers around at the moment, but I'd still place Cech, Buffon, maybe even Reina above him, just never seen what's so special about him.
He's a fantastic shot stopper but his decision-making is also phenomenal, his footwork is perfect and he's really quick across the ground.

His only flaws, IMO, are a tendency to punch the ball, rather than catch it (which seems to be sensible, the way the modern ball moves) and his lack of inches (which is a problem, to be fair)

Good shouts on Buffon and Reina but Cech's been in shocking form, thougout 2008.

I would say there's a good case for Buffon, Reina and Casillas to top the list but Casillas is the best to watch. And that matters to wannabe keepers like meself.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

He's far and away the best shot-stopper going and was absolutely immense last season - barely made a mistake - and carried that into Euro 2008 as well.

Been erratic this year though, which leads me to say that he doesn't deserve to be number 4 on the list.

Credit to 442 for going against some of the prevailing football myths and recognising some of the less well-renowned talents.

Ekeke

Apologies for sidetracking the thread slightly :

Though it doesnt change what happened last season I've worked out the stats for Valencia this season. They are as follows :

Assists ::

Mata (8)
Villa (4)
Joaquin (3)+1 (+1 for winning penalty)
Fernandes (2)
Pablo (1)
Angulo (1)

Goals ::

Villa (10)
Mata (4)
Vicente (2)
Morientes (2)
Joaquin (2)
Fernandes (1)
Alexis (1)
Del Horno (1)

I've only seen highlights of Capel and Sevilla this season and from what I've seen he's not making waves thus far.

So I can only imagine he can't boast the same productivity so far this season as Mata, who has set up and/or scored 12 goals in 9 starts (He and Villa have been benched for the first hour of Uefa cup matches this season to try and keep them fresh)

Thats actually a slightly better rate of productivity than Ronaldo :eek: so far this season with 12 goals scored or assisted in 10 starts for him (7 goals and 5 set up including shots that rebounded and were turned in)

As I said I can only assume that Capel hasnt been punishing opponents in a similar manner as I dont have his stats. But from the little I have seen of Capel, Mata has been a world above so far this season.