FourFourTwo: Louis van Gaal has told FourFourTwo who was on his transfer target list when he became Man United manager

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They were probably on a lot of other lists too

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My list of wimmins I’d like 2 shag:

1. Natalie Portman
2. Blake Lively
3. The one from Corrie and tough war series with the big norks
4. Emma Watson
5. Dua Lipa

RashyForPM

Fair play, he thought big. Shame the useless bigwigs here didn’t and still don’t, as we can tell with this Sancho fiasco.

Eddy_JukeZ

Van Gaal is a bit deluded.

You can't even sign all those players on FIFA/FM.

SambaBoy

I've never heard a manager say after a job that they were interested in players who didn't turn out to be good. It's always the players who went to other clubs and did well coincidentally.

pacifictheme

1. Natalie Portman
2. Blake Lively
4. Emma Watson
5. Dua Lipa
Portman is mine. Find someone else to never shag.

Stretender

Fair play, he thought big. Shame the useless bigwigs here didn’t and still don’t, as we can tell with this Sancho fiasco.
Exactly perhaps the thing to take from this is that the coaches have a different vision to the owners and Woodward. Its not just Van Gaal. Moyes and Mourinho were in same boat. About time our fans woke up because they always seem to defend Glazers and Woodward

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Van Gaal: "I wanted to sign Lewandowski, Muller, Higuain, Neymar"
also Van Gaal (back then): "My captain shall always play"

Rooney:

Deery

Dreary
Anybody would want them players not a very impressive list

Syphon Wallet

Van Gaal is a bit deluded.

You can't even sign all those players on FIFA/FM.
Well maybe he would have liked at least 1 of them.
We are Manchester United and would be looking at only signing the best if the club wasn't so heavily debt leveraged.
Yes we have spent money, but it's never quite top tier signings.

Robertd0803

Well we know he had an interest in a few, (Mane,Ramos) but in all fairness every manager in the world has a list of players they would love to sign. Just clickbait. Madrids president recently said Lewandowski simply couldnt be bought so its not as if every name of the list was obtainable realistically anyway.

Its great saying "I wanted Ronaldo/Neymar/Pele as my front 3 but the board didnt deliver" but its the ones that were gettable and we missed out on or didnt move for are the ones that still annoy me. Especially when players like Mane and Firmino for example just won the fecking league.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The best one is Milner. It's not even about his quality – he is a very good player, it's just a simple fact that he hates us with passion and his father said that the only thing he shouldn't do in football is to put on a red shirt (ours, not Liverpool's).

Gopher Brown

Yeah, I’m sure players like Neymar and Mane would have been delighted to play the slow, static, no-shooting, possession football Louis introduced.

I’m surprised at the list, he obviously had no idea about us as a club, which would wouldn’t have expected, but on the other hand he then played loads of youngsters.

Gopher Brown

Exactly perhaps the thing to take from this is that the coaches have a different vision to the owners and Woodward. Its not just Van Gaal. Moyes and Mourinho were in same boat. About time our fans woke up because they always seem to defend Glazers and Woodward
What the heck are you talking about?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There was no period during LVG last season where I thought United were starting to turn it around. No point whatsoever.
Sure we won the FA Cup,during a period where every decent side was knocked out early and our toughest opponent was Everton, but he was rightly booted out of the club.
The only slight sympathy I have with LVG is how he was relieved of his duties as our head coach.That's it.

Last edited:

Lynty

1. Natalie Portman
2. Blake Lively
4. Emma Watson
5. Dua Lipa
Great list. Lily James for Michelle Keegan

OT:

Neymar in a Van Gaal team?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Did he not say the club wanted Neymar and he wanted Mane? That’s what I’ve seen in another tweet but could be bullshit, knowing twitter.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We could've signed those players but are you convinced LVG was interested in Kante and Mahrez before their breakout season ?
No idea tbh. Was that before their breakout season or maybe when Chelsea City bought them? Mane I can definitely believe. He was in demand at the time and there was a lot of debate on him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No idea tbh. Was that before their breakout season or maybe when Chelsea City bought them? Mane I can definitely believe. He was in demand at the time and there was a lot of debate on him.
LVG second season was when Leicester City won the league.
LVG was rightly moved on then Kante left and a season later Mahrez joined City.

amolbhatia50k

This is the problem with leaving it all up to the manager. Hence we get all obvious names and never find quality deals.

Even under Ole the only clever deal was Daniel James and he's rubbish. Not sure if Ole wanted him or valued Giggs' recommendation too highly.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Mane was a good spot from LvG. I remember that summer when it came out that we were interested in him and the majority of the caf began putting him down as not a players club of the stature of United should be looking at. Would be funny to see that thread again.

Got it:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sadio-mané.408248/

Look at some of those comments and that poll.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Mane was a good spot from LvG. I remember that summer when it came out that we were interested in him and the majority of the caf began putting him down as not a players club of the stature of United should be looking at. Would be funny to see that thread again.
But it seems he chose Memphis instead?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Did he choose him instead or did the deal not go through because of other reasons? Did we sign memphis already by then when the rumors came out (so looking to ADD mane) or not?

And was it a one or the other scenario?

MartinRed

And if I was a manger I would sign Rinaldo,Messi,Mbappe,Neymar and De Ligt and Pele and Maradona and bring back Cantona from retirement and make fecking prime again!This is ridiculous!

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
The way I see it every quality new coach has probably at least one good spot. A player that he can make an argument for will improve the team and the way we play. Every new coach at Bayern basically gets one "make your wish" (within reason) transfer. Unless you're Niko Kovac and the sporting director thinks your suggestion is utter garbage (which as it turns out, it was).

However this system of letting the coach manage the transfers opens up a too many possibilities to screw things up long-term for the club. I really don't understand why the continental system hasn't succeeded in England.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Did he choose him instead or did the deal not go through because of other reasons? Did we sign memphis already by then when the rumors came out (so looking to ADD mane) or not?

Seems like Memphis joined us in june according to wiki. The rumors of done deal for Mane came out in august https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sadio-mané.408248/

Looks like he was looking to add mane to memphis.

Look at those comments in there and the poll. Credit where credit is due. Good spot by LvG.

Woodzy

We were linked with a few of those at the time to be fair so you can see how it would be true.

Mane and Ramos are the ones that come to mind with us being most strongly linked to them.

Just seen the article as well, we were also strongly linked with Muller weren't we? Milner is a bizarre one though.

amolbhatia50k

Can't remember, but talk about picking the wrong option

amolbhatia50k

Seems like Memphis joined us in june according to wiki. The rumors of done deal came out in august https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sadio-mané.408248/

Looks like he was looking to add mane to memphis.

Look at those comments in there and the poll. Credit where credit is due. Good spot by LvG.
Not sure why we weren't able to get him. Southampton are easy to buy from.

spiriticon

Good to know that LvG is a bigger transfer muppet than those in the ITK thread :lol:

UncleBob

He's full of shit.... Doesn't take a genius to google and see the dates for when those players were on the move either.

Kante and Mahrez are the easiest ones to rule out.

He's turned into Moyes