g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FourFourTwo: Louis van Gaal has told FourFourTwo who was on his transfer target list when he became Man United manager

SmallCaine

There's a reason we had to pay a record fee for a defender to get him.

Personally I find it odd how he's slipped through the cracks for so long. There's nothing in his game that would have told me "but because of this he wouldn't be a top player". He's literally got everything.
Wasn't that down to klopp tapping him and Southampton basically giving you the choice between coughing up the money they wanted or them complaining to pl with credible proof that could get you transfer banned.

SmallCaine

He looked very, very good at Southampton
Yes. He was an obvious amazing talent.
He looked good at times but was he ever even considered as a top transfer for big clubs? We were never linked to him and that was when we were being linked to every Dutch player out there, from sniejder to that Dutch dm whose name i can't recall.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He looked good at times but was he ever even considered as a top transfer for big clubs? We were never linked to him and that was when we were being linked to every Dutch player out there, from sniejder to that Dutch dm whose name i can't recall.
We were daft. But he was an obviously outstanding talent.

No one went for Bruno, no one went for Fabinho, no one went for Thiago (before he went to Bayern).

Lebo

Our current team would dismantle that hypothetical team.
beat? Maybe dismantle? No. We don’t dismantle any team in the EPL currently. I’m willing to bet that TFM is going to take AWB spot before the end of the season

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
beat? Maybe dismantle? No. We don’t dismantle any team in the EPL currently. I’m willing to bet that TFM is going to take AWB spot before the end of the season
I’m guessing currently means the last 2 games because we did it plenty last season. This discussion’s run its course.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For the climate
less windy than Southampton? :lol: maybe di maria would have liked it there instead of Manchester.

If he was that easy of a pick though surely a better club than celtic would have gone for him? Did they? I dont know.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I get most of the criticism but why do people keep bringing up van dijk? Did people really think of van dijk as a great defender before liverpool signed him?
A lot of people claim they do, but in reality, no-one did.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
LVG is just a coach. He doesn't has the player knowledge or support of scout department or any data scientists. It is the job of the chief scout or DOF to identify players for the team that match the coach playing style and requirement. Of course he can only give out a list of player that he knows and coached before who can do the job for him. Scouting players for the team is not his job. If Koeman or LVG is Man Utd coach now i am sure they will recommend Depay, Wijnaldum, FDJ, VDB again.

Last edited:

SmallCaine

We were daft. But he was an obviously outstanding talent.

No one went for Bruno, no one went for Fabinho, no one went for Thiago (before he went to Bayern).
Again if he was so obvious why was no one else interested until klopp decided to tap him up? Spurs were definitely interested in bruno last season alongside us and didn't moyes torpedo our thiago move in 2013. I remember more people being sceptical of van dijk when he signed for liverpool rather than envying them for signing him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Again if he was so obvious why was no one else interested until klopp decided to tap him up? Spurs were definitely interested in bruno last season alongside us and didn't moyes torpedo our thiago move in 2013. I remember more people being sceptical of van dijk when he signed for liverpool rather than envying them for signing him.
We weren't sceptical of VVD at all, there were reports that other clubs were interested in him but he was set on Liverpool. It was similar to a Kante to Chelsea situation where it looked a steal for Chelsea who had an open run, but really Kante just wanted Chelsea.

And re. Thiago - exactly, when he went to Bayern we were't even interested and said no. And no other clubs seemed to bid for him, and off Bayern went with a free run. I don't think Spurs actually made a reasonable offer for Bruno too, just general interest.

SmallCaine

We weren't sceptical of VVD at all, there were reports that other clubs were interested in him but he was set on Liverpool. It was similar to a Kante to Chelsea situation where it looked a steal for Chelsea who had an open run, but really Kante just wanted Chelsea.

And re. Thiago - exactly, when he went to Bayern we were't even interested and said no. And no other clubs seemed to bid for him, and off Bayern went with a free run. I don't think Spurs actually made a reasonable offer for Bruno too, just general interest.
Most non liverpools were definitely sceptical, to me it seems like you are trying to rewrite history here. Opposition fans reaction of van dijk signing was similar to that of us signing maguire, you are trying to make it out as if it had rvp to utd vibes.

Pretty sure we had a deal all done until moyes decided to reject him for his Fabregas chase, so don't see how we weren't interested. Also spurs backed out because them refused to pay and rather went for cheaper signing in lo celso, can hardly call it general interest.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Most non liverpools were definitely sceptical, to me it seems like you are trying to rewrite history here. Opposition fans reaction of van dijk signing was similar to that of us signing maguire, you are trying to make it out as if it had rvp to utd vibes.

Pretty sure we had a deal all done until moyes decided to reject him for his Fabregas chase, so don't see how we weren't interested. Also spurs backed out because them refused to pay and rather went for cheaper signing in lo celso, can hardly call it general interest.
I've re written nothing. You can visit the old VVD performance threads when he was at Southampton. Same goes for Mane. Both were massively rated.

VVD was rated back in Celtic, and the counter was "that's the Scottish league let's see how he does in Prem", before more and people grew massively impressed with him in a Southampton shirt.

There was also attention drawn to the fact that they dipped massively when he was dropped before the transfer.

He was always massively rated.

Gasolin

I thought Mahrez and Kante would have been attainable, same for Mane?

Neymar, Ramos, Hummels, Lewandowski, Higuain, Muller, Milner, I think they were all crazy wishes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Why did Van Dijk move to celtic again?
He came from Groningen, a Dutch midtable club. Dutch top clubs had rejected him in the past, so going abroad was a sensible step for him. As top clubs didn't want to get him from Celtic either, Celtic to Southampton again made sense for him, to get into the EPL.