Frank Lampard to Chelsea: Really?

baskinginthesun

Can see the appeal for the Chelsea fans more so than the Chelsea board. He did very well last year and is obviously a very intelligent guy with a huge connection to the club but something tells me this move is just a little early for him and he could do with a year or two more of experience. Not convinced he's going to get the time that many Chelsea fans seem to think he will but time will tell.
Yeah. Could probably do with at least another season finding his feet before managing a massive club.

Having said that, with the looming transfer ban, who would want to manage Chelsea? As other have said, this is probably a stop-gap appointment until they can spend money again.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Chelsea usually get their appointments right, out of all of the managers since Abramovich took over, I’d say only AVB and Scolari were failures.
They know what they’re doing most of the time.

RalphMilneSuperstar

Supports
Bristol City
As a fan of a Championship football club I have to admit I am confused. Still slightly annoyed that Derby pipped us to the play-offs but Lampard's side was the most Sarri-esque in the league! Possession based but with limited forward threat.

Interesting to see, if he does sign, whether that changes.

CHKBC

How the mighty have fallen? Suspecting you support utd, but what would your answer be to signing awb, longstaff, daniel james etc? Players not good enough for utd.

Kovacic is not mediocre, had an up and down season but his real quality showed in the EL final
No, I don’t support Man Utd but I do think they are targeting and buying the right sort of players this summer with the emphasis on young British players.

Chelsea should have chosen the option of not buying anyone rather than spunk cash on mediocre players like Kovacic. Might as well wait for Loftud-Cheek to returnfrom injury.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Imagine if we were chelsea and how much gloom there would be on here.

It'd be "embarrassing" that we were taking so long to get a championship manager etx

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How the mighty have fallen? Suspecting you support utd, but what would your answer be to signing awb, longstaff, daniel james etc? Players not good enough for utd.

Kovacic is not mediocre, had an up and down season but his real quality showed in the EL final
How is AWB not good enough for united, our of interest?
He's by all accounts very highly rated and our right backs for almost a decade have been converted wingers!

Chairman Steve

Pre-seasons not too far away and they’ve still not made a decision on manager. Who the feck would be taking charge of them on pre-season tour if they’re still negotiating? *inb4 Kepa joke*

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No, I don’t support Man Utd but I do think they are targeting and buying the right sort of players this summer with the emphasis on young British players.

Chelsea should have chosen the option of not buying anyone rather than spunk cash on mediocre players like Kovacic. Might as well wait for Loftud-Cheek to returnfrom injury.
Well for all intents and purposes we are doing exactly the same thing, United are buying their young British youngsters while we according to reliable sources are promoting the likes of Reece James and Mount to add already to Hudson Odoi, RLC and to an extent Ampadu.

Comparing Kovacic to Loftus is a moot point as I imagine they won't be playing the same position.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
How is AWB not good enough for united, our of interest?
He's by all accounts very highly rated and our right backs for almost a decade have been converted wingers!
Didn't quite mean not good enough for Utd. I just expected Utd to go for the stellar names this summer, but as Woodward seems to have confirmed, they are not going to do so.

But to say us signing Kovacic for £40m ish is a case of "how the mighty have fallen" is quite ridiculous.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like we are signing Kovacic as we already hold his registration, I guess it's possible to do it without re-registering.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soc...9/sources-chelsea-to-sign-kovacic-despite-ban

I actually think he's a very good, exceptionally technically and very versatile, can play in pretty much any midfield system.

In fact, he's so versatile that he has probably suffered as being used as jack of all trades in his career rather than just playing one place.
Kovacic is a good player, just need to play him regularly in a familiar role. I see some on social media saying Mount is better, well, he isnt. Come on now, be sensible.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Kovacic is a good player, just need to play him regularly in a familiar role. I see some on social media saying Mount is better, well, he isnt. Come on now, be sensible.
Yeah, that'll fix it. That will stop him being the personification of mediocrity.

He's been mediocre for years. Was ok/passable at Madrid and has been ok/passable for Chelsea, and will continue to be. He's not a terrible midfielder but he is completely uninspiring.

Madrid will be laughing their heads off at getting 45 mill up front for him. No club outside the Prem would pay anywhere near that for him.

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, that'll fix it. That will stop him being the personification of mediocrity.

He's been mediocre for years. Was ok/passable at Madrid and has been ok/passable for Chelsea, and will continue to be. He's not a terrible midfielder but he is completely uninspiring.

Madrid will be laughing their heads off at getting 45 mill up front for him. No club outside the Prem would pay anywhere near that for him.
If you change what you’re asking of him, then it’s an ok transfer. He’s great at linking the defense and attack and I personally love what he brings when the opposition has the ball. A great backup to both Kante and Jorginho. Consider the other 2 £40m CM transfers we had 2 summers ago, Chelsea fans could easily spin this in a positive way.

But if we’re expecting him to do things in the final third, which Sarri was, then this is a joke and we’ve now spent 1 Joao Felix on 3 very underwhelming CMs.

For what it’s worth, I was happy to see him go back to Madrid... and then I looked at our midfield options.

Reactions: golden_blunder

CHKBC

What is his familiar role? And where’s the evidence that he is a good player?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What is his familiar role? And where’s the evidence that he is a good player?
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/93894/History/Mateo-Kovacic

https://understat.com/player/2254

https://www.givemesport.com/1382750...vation-about-mateo-kovacic-in-bournemouth-win

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com...l-midfielder-mateo-kovacic-after-win-v-malmo/

I suppose the most obvious evidence is that he's a good player, outside of raw stats, is that he's played for the top sides in Europe, and the teams he's played in always seem to win trophies, including us last year, where he played very well in the Europa final.

I guess actually winning trophies isn't the point of football for some, but I think it's pretty important. I also consider the 11 above the individual, and Kovacic is one who doesn't have a familiar role, but having him in the squad is very valuable to help the team win, he can play in pretty much any midfield position, which is very both very unusual, and maybe makes it harder for some to judge his contribution to the team properly.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I like Lampard, hope he does well. Risky move for him but I think with the Transfer Ban and the loss of Hazard, expectations won't be that high going into the new season.

Chelsea have a lot of young players coming through, will be interesting to see how many of these Lampard uses (Mount and Tomori for example).

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hmmm, what can be so complicated to take 1 week to agree a contract? Can't be money or contract length for that long.

Structure of management staff maybe?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Does Chelsea's transfer ban extend to loan signings?
Yes. It isn't technically a transfer ban, but a registration ban. They could sign players but wouldn't be able to register them to play in any games (like Leicester City signing Adrien Silva just shortly after the deadline which meant they weren't able to register him in time to play games until the next window). They were only able to sign Kovacic permanently as he was already registered with Chelsea at the time.

SambaBoy

Any half decent manager should be getting Derby in the play-offs. They always have one of the better teams in that league and they are usually in the play-offs or around there. For the season to have been considered successful or for Lampard to have done a good job, they would have had to been promoted via the play-offs. If they had been automatically promoted then yes you would have to give credit to Lampard.

It's a massive risk for Chelsea. Less so for Lampard, he fails there and he will get another gig in the Championship.

doriandun

Frank's already got a few issues:

1:Playing a four at the back will be a cause for concern, as both their full backs are poor in a four, and Luiz, always has a rick in him, hence why Conte switched to a three ay the back with full backs.

2. By signing Kovacic, it metns RLC will find himself more often on the bench, as three in the middle will most likely be Jorginho, Kante plus 1 [Bak, the kid from Everton, Lofus-Cheek, Mount, Kovacic, Drinkwater] up top the would have Giroud, Moratta, Tammy or the Bat.

3. Width being provided by William, CHO, Pulisic,Pedro.

4. Frank prefers 4231, however with the current personel, 352 would be better. for team balance, but that would mean dropping their wide men, unless his midfield put in a shift every game.

5..Victor Moses also returns from loan as does Kenedy who was on loan at Newcastle.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Chelsea have a decent squad on paper, let’s see what he can do with it. He’s a classy guy so I wish him good luck

A9X SJ

Can't really lose with the transfer ban, he can work with what he has they have about 60 players out on loan I'm sure some of them can step up plus the signing of Pulisic & kovacic help

Zen86

Fair play to him, although I can’t imagine him delivering instant success, nor Roman having the patience to wait for it.

F-A-C-T-S

Think he'll achieve top 5 comfortably and solidify his legend status by steering them through difficult times.

Tiber

I strongly supported giving Ole our job. But a guy with one season as a Championship manager (and they didnt even get prompted) at a club like Chelsea which is ultra-demanding when it comes to managers?

That's a bold call even if he is a legend

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Chelsea can hire a janitor as a manager for all they care. It's low stakes. They're not thinking 5 years into the future ever with their manager choices.