Television Frasier Appreciation Thread

Bertie Wooster

Frasier is my second favourite sitcom of all time (just behind Seinfeld).

I loved the first 4 series. Really liked the next 3. But found the final 4 series increasingly hard to watch and now only watch the repeats up until the end of series 7.

The show was at its best in the first 4 series. When it primarily focused on the family relationship between Frasier, Niles and Martin - and the Niles / Daphne sub plot was more in the background and Roz was a harder, sarcastic character without a child and who had some great lines.

It went downhill when Daphne found out about Niles' love for her and her tone of voice became increasingly hard and sneery; Roz had a child and it softened her character and she was less sarcastic; Niles started doing too much slapstick comedy; and they introduced Daphne's awful family with terrible accents - especially her mum who was in it way too much.

I love the early series of the show so much that it's my second favourite sitcom. But I really hate how bad it became by the final few series.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Frasier is my second favourite sitcom of all time (just behind Seinfeld).

I loved the first 4 series. Really liked the next 3. But found the final 4 series increasingly hard to watch and now only watch the repeats up until the end of series 7.

The show was at its best in the first 4 series. When it primarily focused on the family relationship between Frasier, Niles and Martin - and the Niles / Daphne sub plot was more in the background and Roz was a harder, sarcastic character without a child and who had some great lines.

It went downhill when Daphne found out about Niles' love for her and her tone of voice became increasingly hard and sneery; Roz had a child and it softened her character and she was less sarcastic; Niles started doing too much slapstick comedy; and they introduced Daphne's awful family with terrible accents - especially her mum who was in it way too much.

I love the early series of the show so much that it's my second favourite sitcom. But I really hate how bad it became by the final few series.
Were you familiar with Cheers beforehand?

Bertie Wooster

Were you familiar with Cheers beforehand?
Yes and no.
I knew of it of course, and had seen some episodes. But it was just a little bit before my time really.

Most of my family only like British comedies (which I also love), and I mainly started to watch US sitcoms as I got into my teens in the 90's with the likes of Frasier, Seinfeld and Friends.

So I've watched a lot more of Cheers after it ended and as a consequence of loving Frasier so much. I enjoy it, but I think because I didn't watch it at the time then I don't feel the same level of love and nostalgia as I do for Frasier and Seinfeld.

Bertie Wooster

Nicholas Lyndhurst has been cast in the reboot.
That's interesting news.

I've been watching plenty of him recently in box sets of Butterflies and Only Fools & Horses. I always enjoy his portrayal of 'gormless' Rodney in the first few series of OFAH, especially.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought it was a joke when I first read it. Out of left field a bit but interesting to see how it works out. He’s a good actor.

Chairman Steve

One of the most left field casting choices ever, but Nicholas Lyndhurst has always been a pretty good actor in my opinion. He got typecast after Only Fools and Horses (not the worst thing to happen as I’m sure he’s rolling in the royalties until he dies) so I‘m glad he’s getting a pretty huge TV gig. Probably the first person to be a main role in a huge British comedy and a huge American comedy.

I found somewhere him and Kelsey Grammer have been in the West End together recently, so no doubt it came from that.